Mr. Handyman of the Fredericksburg Region

Founded 2005 • With Angi since September 2008

33 McWhirt Loop Suite 104

Fredericksburg, VA 22406

Award winning. License #: VA Class A No.: 2705 098269. Fully Insured.

11/27/2020

Tom H.

Outstanding workmanship. 2 hours of work, expertly done and actually was slightly under the estimate. Very well done. Great folks. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Description of Work
Handyman fixed porch railing by replacing five vertical poles and re-attaching the railing to the post.

Category appliance refinishing, woodworking

06/05/2019

Constance C.

I spoke to Mr. Andrew ("Andy") Little on 4/26/19 re a non-structural foundation repair. With hesitation, I obliged w/ photos. He next was to talk to his "guy" whom he knew could do the job, and get back to me re a quote. On May 2, he had not gotten back to me, so I called again. Andy stated with perceived annoyance that his guys' schedules are usually booked out by a week or so. I reminded him that I was only looking for a job estimate, at this point. Finally, he said that the guy that he was SURE could do the job would be in the office for a staff meeting that morning, and he would discuss the matter, and get back to me. He never did. 6/5/19

Description of Work
Foundation Repair

Category handyman service, masonry, foundation repair

09/21/2018

Jennifer B.

Quote came in 2 days after I had someone else’s do the work.

Description of Work
Replace toilet guts(2)

Category handyman service

I'm sorry that we were not able to respond in a timely manner. Our office manager and dispatcher was out sick for three days when the original inquiry came in. By the time calls and emails were traded, the member had already decided on another provider. I'm disappointed we lost your business this time around but I hope you'll give us another chance. Sincerely, Al Starck President

09/17/2018

Linda E.

He was professional, showed up when expected and did an exceptional job. Very pleased with results.

Description of Work
existing covered patio screened in and vinyl trim added to outside.

Category woodworking

I'm happy you are satisfied. Thank you for your business! Sincerely, Al Starck

07/10/2018

Michael S.

Al Stark, owner of Mr. Handyman (540.748-8622) of Fredericksburg, does a simply amazing job with home repairs. His team of 5 people has experience, expertise, and the work ethic of ‘Get-er done’! Mr. Handyman works on exterior and interior projects and quite honestly no job is either too big or too small. They show up on time, only do the work you want, are fair and reasonable with their price, and very trustworthy. He maintains a class ‘A’ license and holds a FANTASTIC reputation with his community, customers and workforce. When I moved to Alexandria, I inquired if I could hire his team up here, but his franchise boundaries do not permit this – otherwise, I would do it in a heart-beat! Quite honestly, he is the BEST and his team are AWESOME! Multiple contracts...

Description of Work
Fair, Reasonable and Quality Work

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Thanks so much for your very kind review. You've been a terrific customer and I wish I could continue to help you with your home maintenance. You'll be in very good hands with your new local Mr. Handyman. Sincerely, Al Starck, President

06/26/2018

Dean C.

The company canceled their appointment for an estimate with little notice after I took time off from work and would not agree to meet at other than times that were most favorable for them.

Description of Work
Kitchen repair

Category handyman service

I'm sorry this member is unhappy. He made an online request for an estimate, targeting Friday, June 29th at 4 pm. We call Tuesday the 26th to follow up and to let him know that time would not work, due to the fact that I have travel plans for the holiday weekend and because of the holiday weekend congestion on the roads, his location in North Stafford requiring late day travel on I-95. No appointment was ever established. Respectfully, Al Starck, President

05/10/2018

Chuck M.

Made several attempts to contact this company, left messages and spoke to an operator, still waiting for someone to contact me regarding the work I would like to have them perform. This does not inspire much confidence, or good customer service with these folks. Cannot comment on there work good or bad. Hope you have better luck than I did just getting them to call you back. The state of customer service today. Time to move on!!

Description of Work
Bathroom work

Category handyman service

I'm sorry for the experience this person had in attempting to contact my company. Although we have no record of him calling us, his inquiry might have come in via another online lead service; it did not come through Angie's List. We often get online requests for pricing and quotes for jobs that cannot be estimated from simply checking boxes on an online form submission. We promptly return all calls and inquiries from customers, but if all we have is an email address (a response email, not a personal email), we ask that people call our office and speak to our full time customer service rep to discuss the project and to go over our procedures and pricing. If we don't receive a call back or an email we have no choice but to dismiss the inquiry. This customer claims to have spoken to someone in my office but we have no record of his call. Our office is staffed from 8am to 5pm, M-F, and overflow and after-hours calls go to a live answering service. I'm not sure what transpired on this occasion, but again, I'm sorry that this person is not satisfied. Al Starck, President

11/30/2017

Ronald R.

Went well but I thought the $240 for 3 hours was a little excessive but my Mother who was at the house at the time said the gentleman did work the entire time and that he had to take down several downspouts to clear them. We have used this company several times since I am not in the area to maintain myself and I have been very pleased with the work.

Description of Work
Gutter clean out

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service

Thank you for posting your review. I'm happy that your mother noticed that our tech was in fact busy the whole time. Sometimes what seems like an easy job can have unexpected and unforeseen conditions that result in more labor and cost. My bottom line is always to deliver the highest value and best results at the most economical price for our customers. Sincerely, Al Starck

11/11/2017

Lauren B.

I purchased an all-in-one at a local hardware store. It included the cabinet and counter with built in sink. After a phone call and two emails, someone got in touch with me. Once contact was made communication was much better. Job was described through email and pictures. Once handyman arrived the job was more involved than originally thought, so the job was not done. Seems like they would have asked for more pictures to better access plumbing situation. Wish some front end work was done such as looking at the new cabinet with drawer and shelf BEFORE taking out old cabinet....as plumbing situation was visible. The handyman was at our home for two hours, which wasn't necessary if plumbing had been checked first. The handyman was very nice and did draw what type of cabinet we needed to work around the plumbing, however when our contractor came out for a larger project and I asked his advice on what to do, he said it was an easy fix for the plumbing was to use Sharkbites ( found at Lowe's and Home Depot). Why didn't the handyman know this???

Description of Work
Needed to replace a bathroom cabinet, counter and sink.

Category handyman service, plumbing

Thank you for your feedback. We are quite familiar with Sharkbites and their proper use. Although I wasn't personally at this job to see the conditions, my lead technician made a judgement call that the replacement vanity wasn't right for the situation. I'm sorry that you weren't satisfied with our performance, but our goal is to do all our work correctly and according to code. But again, thanks for the feedback. Al Starck, President

11/06/2017

Dean H.

Mr Andy was great to work w/ & provided a timely estimate as well as work scheduling. Cost was competitive, and quality of work was excellent. Had some minor miscommunication on technician arriving at residence & performing work. I'll label as shared responsibility. I would certainly recommend them for a variety of maint & repair reqmts.

Description of Work
Needed variety of small home repair requirements, incl screen door repair, lock repair, small window repairs.

Category handyman service

Thanks for the feedback on the miscommunication and responsiveness issues with our technician. We continually strive to keep our guys on time and we do channel all communications through our office dispatcher. I'm glad that the work results met your expectations and thanks for taking time to post your review. Sincerely, Al Starck

10/22/2017

Margaret E.

Very well. Mr. Handyman was punctual, professional, and completed the work as stated. They were good about working around schedule conflicts. The pricing was reasonable.

Description of Work
Painting Plumbing Carpentry

Category contractors, handyman service, plumbing, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking, interior painters

Thank YOU for being flexible with us as well in working with us to blend our schedules to accommodate the multiple trips! Good luck with the sale. Sincerely, Al Starck

10/18/2017

Rachel R.

We have used Mr Handyman for several small jobs in the past that went well. This is the second bathroom that Steve has repaired and painted for us. He did a great job again! He is meticulous with the painting and cleans up everything when finished unlike painters we have used in the past.

Description of Work
Drywall repair and painting

Category handyman service, interior painters

Thank you. I'm happy the everything turned out well. And thank you for becoming a repeat customer! Sincerely, Al Starck

09/27/2017

Yogendra P.

First time it didn't work and more water coming in. I call again and the fix it after two days.

Description of Work
Water leaking from roof into the first floor window.

Category handyman service, roofing

Thank you for the review. Water leaks around windows are often very difficult to locate and isolate. On our second trip out, which was under our warranty, we were able to make a better fix that solved the problem. Al Starck, President.

08/21/2017

Chasity H.

We called Handyman services to come in and complete our bathroom renovation when we hired a subpar contractor. They were able to make recommendations to the project and fix issues that were left by the other contractor. They did a remarkable job in every aspect of the project. I would recommend them to anyone and will use them again in the future.

Description of Work
Tiled shower and bathroom floor, installed skylight, framed pocket doors, and installed shutters

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, skylights, home remodeling, doors

I'm happy that we were able to rescue the bathroom remodel for you, and I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to do the work. Also, thanks for posting the review! Kind regards, Al Starck

07/31/2017

Albert W.

Punctual and professional---we have used Handyman for two other services and have always been pleased. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Gutter cleaning

Category gutter cleaning, handyman service

Thanks for the A rating! Best regards, Al

07/26/2017

Kaylan C.

Everything went wonderfully. 100% honesty here. I was a little frustrated in the beginning because it felt like jumping thru hoops just to get someone to come out and provide an estimate. However, with that said, I'm very glad we stuck with this company. The owner himself is the one that comes out and does the estimate. I'm not new to the construction industry, so I knew what needed to be done (being pregnant I didn't want to do it myself). The owner was extremely knowledgable and professional. We had, had two other companies come out to look at the same project and Mr. Handyman was by far the most qualified. He knew exactly what he was talking about, which was refreshing to hear. He was honest about the process and cost, he didn't seem to want to take us for all of our money, but wanted to do a quality job. The job took two days. The gentleman that came out was very professional and patient with my annoying barking dogs (thank you. I know they were annoying!) The storm door project was completed same day, and the French doors took a day and a half, but it all looks amazing. A very professional and competent company. They have reasonable prices. I would and will be hiring them again for other projects along with recommending them to anyone and everyone that needs a handyman. Pictures are attached. The only thing left to do is paint the French doors and the walls where the spackle is... Honestly, I'll probably hire them again to do that too!

Description of Work
Two French Doors put in and a storm door

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, remodeling, doors

I appreciate you taking the time to post this review. We enjoyed doing the work for you, and the dogs weren't a problem! Sincerely, Al Starck

07/03/2017

Michael R.

Right on schedule and slightly under estimate.

Description of Work
Replaced posts on front porch, repainted the entire porch, cleaned rust from wrought iron rails and repainted.

Category handyman service, house painters

Thank you for the review, and for the work! Best regards, Al Starck

06/12/2017

Mark T.

Overall; excellent. Final results and professionalism of workers weighs more heavily with me. The issues/concerns: 1. Work was initially scheduled for 5 June. The company had concerns about the weather due to the forecast. However, I didn't find this out until I called them when they didn't show up at the estimated time. We discussed the fact that they were watching the weather and would make a decision. This I understand. However, I was not notified about the delay nor the final decision to not show up. I didn't give a bad grade on punctuality as it was a responsiveness (communication) failure, to me, and less a punctuality factor. When the gentleman, I cannot remember his name, hereafter referred to as "the guy" or "he," showed up the following day, again not communicated to me that he would, it was early enough to get the job done in the same day. 2. When the work was completed, the guy left. He left the few items that were in the shed out. Left the shed open. Left the bagged debris and scrap wood in the yard, but stacked on the edge of the yard. Left a power cord. He didn't say anything before leaving. I put the items back in the shed, closed the door, wound up the cord (need to get this back to them) and got the bagged debris and scrap wood on to the driveway and out of the yard. I was planning to haul it up to the road on Wednesday afternoon; trash day. When I returned home on Wednesday, all the trash and scrap wood is gone. I can only assume that he came back and picked it all up. No one in my family did anything with it. 3. I was concerned about the hourly labor rate. Obviously not enough to not hire the company, but it seemed steep Bottom line though, it was much cheaper than getting a new shed. The good: 1. The work quality was great. All that I wanted done was completed. Most important factor. 2. The guy doing the work was very polite and friendly. These two factors alone determine whether or not I will work with a company again. The other stuff, although they were written with more detail, can be cleared up in any future efforts.

Description of Work
Repairs to a shed in my backyard.

Category handyman service

Thank you for the detailed review and the overall A rating. I apologize for the issues that you did call us out on. I can offer no excuse for the lapses in communications that you experienced. Typically, we always keep our customers informed of delays and cancellations. Regarding the job debris, when there is too much for the technicians to haul away in their work vans, another person, in this case it was me, returns to remove the materials, usually the same day, but here it was the next morning since he finished up late in the afternoon. That should have been communicated to you but I'm not sure if there was anyone home to whom that message could have been left with. Bottom line for us is that I'm happy you are pleased with the quality of the work. I hope that you'll give us another chance to raise the Responsiveness grade up to an A. Sincerely, Al Starck, President

06/08/2017

Daniel M.

He was good. I have a general electric microwave. I had GE repairman out and they were going to replace it for like $2000. The repairman wanted to charge me $500 dollars. That was ripping me off. So I went to call Angie's list and they did it for 3 and a quarter. I was about to replace it and I haven't had any problems with it since. I hope it last another year. They completed the service the same day.

Description of Work
He repaired my microwave.

Category small appliance repair

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! Best regards, Al Starck

04/12/2017

Harold C.

This is the second major project that Mr. Handyman has done for me. I wanted a replacement vent made of a material stronger than the original. Mr. Handyman special ordered the vent and installed it on the first work day after it arrived from the distributor. I was not home when the work was done. I see this as a plus because I didn't have to lose a day of work. The appearance of the replacement vent looks professionally installed and not a "homeowner DIY" project. This is important to me because some day I will sell this house and don't want anything to detract from the structure and possible lower the sales price. The final price was slightly less than the estimate. The final price may seem high to some, but remember I didn't use a standard vent, but had a higher quality vent installed. I am pleased with the work and the price.

Description of Work
My second story gable vent was damaged during a storm and had to be replaced.

Category handyman service, siding, woodworking

Thank you for your detailed review and for the A rating. Please call on us again if we can be of service. Sincerely, Al Starck, President

04/10/2017

Melissa G.

Both times the technicians arrived on time, and were very professional and courteous. The work was performed in a timely manner and was of excellent quality. I will be hiring Mr Handyman of Fredericksburg for more projects in the future .

Description of Work
I hired Mr. Handyman of Fredericksburg on 2 separate occasions; once to install screening on the back porch and another time to repair fencing and front porch.

Category fencing, handyman service, woodworking

Thank you for the "A" rated review and for taking the time to post it! Please call on us again if any needs arise. Al Starck

03/27/2017

Reggie P.

Very professional and very pleased with their work. Would hire again

Description of Work
Installed shadow boxes in dinning room

Category handyman service, woodworking

Thank you for taking time to provide the review and for being a repeat customer. Your business is very much appreciated. Al Starck

03/09/2017

Todd S.

I was very happy with the work. Michael did an excellent job fixing the siding, and was very friendly and professional. I would certainly recommend Mr Handyman

Description of Work
The recent wind storms had blown some siding down and loosened other pieces.

Category handyman service, siding

Thank you. I'm happy that we were able to assist you! Sincerely, Al Starck

12/01/2016

Liana O.

No show, didn't call me that he would be late. Tried to call the office and got the answering service. No one called back. Left after 25 minutes of waiting. What a waste of my time. I have noticed that I get an answering service when I call their business line at least 50% of the time. Will be looking for a new handyman for my 4 houses for the next 20 years worth of work.

Description of Work
various minor repairs around the house

Category handyman service

Dear Member, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience we caused you, and I'm sorry that you've lost confidence in our company after several years of servicing your properties. While our on-time performance is normally very good, the day your most recent job was scheduled turned out to be a day when my customer service rep and I both ended up being out of the office all day, I for a scheduled medical procedure and my CSR with an unexpected medical issue himself. So the office was unmanned and your calls went to our answering service and could not be properly handled. Normally, you would have been called and advised, but on this particular day no one could return your calls. I'm sorry. My technician arrived at your home about an hour late due to an earlier job running over, and he missed you. I do have a full time CSR to answer our calls live, but there are times when he's busy with a previous caller and calls do roll over to our live answering service, especially around lunch time, which is when I see you were calling in. Again, please accept my apology for the unfortunate set of circumstances that arose that day. I regret losing you as a customer. Sincerely, Al Starck

10/07/2016

Steve C.

Had an unexpected trip out of town so I couldn't schedule the work. Will try again in a few weeks

Description of Work
To do list

Category house painters