Grass Roots Lawn & Landscaping

Founded 2008 • With Angi since November 2011

Stafford

Fredericksburg, VA 22405

Grass Roots Lawn and Landscaping is a local, fully insured, family owned business. We serve the communities of Fredericksburg, Stafford, Spotsylvania, and the surrounding areas. We service both residential and commercial properties....

10/04/2020

Alison N.

Grass Roots has been servicing our lawn for 11 years. They have done such an amazing job of making our yard look great through cutting, fertilizing and aeration over the years. We are happy to say we have one of the nicest and greenest yards in the neighborhood! The professionalism at Grass Roots can’t be beat! They are always reliable, knowledgeable and have great rates. We recommend them to everyone we know!

Description of Work
Lawn Care & Maintenance

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

09/25/2019

Allison W.

I really appreciate how reliable they are and that they don't make things complicated. They get everything done when when they should so my yard always looks good, their work is excellent, and payment is quick and painless.

Description of Work
Grass Cutting

Category lawn service

Thank you Alison for your kind review. We are pleased you are happy with your service. Looking forward to working with you again in the Spring.

09/22/2019

Peggy P.

Grass Roots is awesome! They cut and edge my lawn beautifully and are always on schedule. I recommend them to my friends and neighbors all the time!

Description of Work
Lawn mowing and edging

Category lawn service

Thank you Ms. [Member Name Removed] for your nice review. We are glad you are happy with our service. Also Thank you for recommending us to your friends and family. It means a lot to us.

09/20/2019

Justin B.

Absolutely incredible company! After many years of having an "average yard" and many failed attempts to get grass to grow in my back yard, I finally found a company that can do it all!!!! Grass Roots is the only company that has been able to give me a beautiful lawn in my backyard, AND they know how to edge to my standards. I now get to sit back and enjoy the best looking lawn in my neighborhood. Keep up the GREAT work guys. I am a local Realtor, and I will definitely be referring you to all of my clients. Your quality work and outstanding customer service has been a breath of fresh air so Thanks!

Description of Work
Regular yard maintenance and turf program

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for such high praise. We appreciate you taking the time out of your very busy day to write such a complimentary review. Thank you too, for recommending us to your family, friends and clients. See you in the Spring!

09/19/2019

Caitlin J.

We have used Grass Roots for many years. I can't say enough good things about them. Everyone is friendly and helpful. We trust them with our yard work. I love coming home to a beautiful yard, especially when I don't have to do it.

Description of Work
Lawn care services

Category lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

Thank you so much for the nice review. We are glad you have been happy with your service over the years. It has been a pleasure getting to know you and your family.

03/23/2018

Dan N.

Dana arrived within 24 hours of my request for an estimate. I had an itemized estimate for everything that was needed within 48 hours. After getting the go ahead the company was on site and working within a week. The end results are nothing short of spectacular, we have a baseball fied appearance for our lawn. Lush, thick, & green. That was 2 years ago and we now use Grass Roots for fertilizing , aerating, planting shrubs, trees, and any landscaping changes.

Description of Work
Remove a 20 by 30 gravel parking area and landscape the area with grass and fire pit. Aerate, reseed, repair, fertilize approximately 1.5 acre lawn. about 25% of it was totally dirt and rock.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment, mulch

03/23/2018

Howard T.

Grass Roots has been servicing my lawn for over 3 years now. Their workers are professionals that do an outstanding job. They are timely and offer a variety of services. Best decision I have made in a long time, turning my lawn over to their care.

Description of Work
Annual lawn care to include cutting and edging of grass, over seeding, fertilizer treatments, aeration

03/21/2018

Phil M.

I have used Grass Roots Lawn and Landscaping for 4 years. I am completely satisfied with the lawn care service they have provided and find them very easy to work with. They are customer oriented and take the time to explain the lawn treatments they recommend. I highly recommend them as a lawn care service. They have different plans to meet the customer's desires and budgets.

Description of Work
Lawn fertilizing and ariation.

03/21/2018

Gail S.

We were customers of Grass Roots all of 2017. Prior to that our yard was predominately weeds. Now our yard looks great and we are very pleased with Grass Roots' service. We will continue to use them this year and highly recommend this great comany

Description of Work
Lawn maintenance

Category lawn treatment

03/18/2018

Robert K.

After my backyard sustained severe damage (scalping) due to a broken deck support on my lawn tractor I hired Dana to do his magic. By the early fall my yard was again populated with green, healthy grass! I will certainly continue to use Grass Roots in the future.

Description of Work
Total yard restoration...mulching, liming, fertilizing, weed control, etc.

Category lawn service, lawn treatment, mulch

03/18/2018

Sheryl D.

We were looking for someone to come add some life to our front garden and take care of weekly mowing and leaf removal (in the fall). Our front yard was more dirt and weeds than grass and we had tried everything! Dana offered us 2 different turf programs with VERY reasonable pricing, which we paid in monthly installments. We were hopeful but didn’t expect much because of all the red clay. To our delight, we now have grass! We are so pleased, we’ve signed up again! His crews are prompt, professional, and gentlemen. I highly recommend Grass Roots Lawn and Landscaping!!!-Sheryl Danciu.

Description of Work
Landscaping, planting a garden and weekly Yard Maintenance

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

Michelle K.

Grass Roots is the place to go if you want a beautiful lawn. My yard was a total mess with lots of bare spots and weeds everywhere hardly any grass to speak of. These guys actually go to classes in the off-season. My yard has improved so much within a years time, I actually have grass to mow instead of blowing around dirt.

Description of Work
Seeding, fertilizer, lime, weed killer, and aerating

Category lawn service, lawn treatment

Sheryl W.

We have used Dana and crew for over 6 years. They have been amazing - 1) he is responsive to calls; 2) helping do a soil test to see what would be the best combination of material/fertilizers etc for very difficult areas in our yard that has a big tree line; 3) suggestions on how to maintain the yard after the crew does their maintenance; 4) polite when they come; 5) helped me out when my husband was unable to do any lawn work - mowing, blowing leaves in the fall, general clean-up; 6) very good with billing and the menu of services; 7) he definitely listens to any and all questions and concerns. I am so happy we found him on Angie's List years ago!!! As long as he is in business he will take care of our property no matter where we are living in this area. Thank you Dana and crew for amazing work and helping me NOT have to worry about the work requested!!! Sheryl W.

Description of Work
Various lawn and yard work

Tim B.

Had no success with other lawn services and do-it-yourself seasonal lawn applications. Learned about Grassroots from a friend so we had them provide us a plan to "bring our lawn back". Not only were their prices very competitive, but the results were fantastic in the first year of using their service. Dana and his crew understand the unique soil conditions of our area and apply a formula for success. Didn't think it was possible to get grass growing in our heavily treed lot, but they did it! Highly recommend!

Description of Work
Lawn services, to include rejuvenation, maintenance, and improvement

10/16/2017

Madelyn G.

Terrific working with this owner, his company and employees. They deserve the best recommendation possible! Very attentive, good communicators, hard and smart working, polite, clean. They know their business!

Description of Work
Have used their services for two summers for grass cutting, fall clean-up, shrub removal around house, stump removal and scrub area thinning.

07/10/2017

Leslie E.

Dana, the owner of Grassroots responded quickly to my request for an estimate. The 2 gentlemen who came to work were so kind, hard working, and very professional. The job took a little less than 2 days to complete, and I was overjoyed with the end result. So beautifully done and way above and beyond my expectations! I highly recommend this company!

Description of Work
Due to my husband's illness, our landscaping (trees, shrubs, etc) became overgrown with weeds and the shrubs needing trimming. The situation was so bad, I could barely walk to my front door or even see out of some of the lower windows! We had someone work on our landscaping previously, but that person moved away.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch

04/25/2017

Dianne M.

The lawn was horrible when I moved into my brand new home. After Grass Roots cared for my lawn all of 2016 it looked 1000% better. They applied fertilizer and pre-emergent throughout the growing season. In the fall the lawn was aerated and seeded. I have Grass Roots taking care of my lawn again this year.

Description of Work
Maintain and mow my lawn.

Category lawn service, lawn treatment

02/11/2017

Betty K.

I'd gone through several lawn and landscaping and these guys are good. Their pricing like when you do hay raiding in the fall of the year, hay raiding over seeding fertilizer they were about a third of the price from a company that I used for a year back several years ago, third and their more thorough and their more thorough, they do a better job. I've seen what the others provide, I had a guy billing me but wasn't providing the service, he's no longer in business and that's a good thing and the guy came across real nice he was fine for a while and all of a sudden his service dropped off that didn't end very well and then the other place I using were very good but they were just very expensive and I couldn't really see I was getting that much more benefit out of it, Grass Roots is good I like them. I think they do a thorough job at a reasonable price.

Description of Work
Applied the winterizer the winter fertilizer.

Category lawn treatment

11/29/2016

Brian B.

Well. Services were provided timely and expertly

Description of Work
Core aeration of very large lawn

08/25/2016

Dennis N.

These guys are the best. I've been with them for about three years. They are thorough, professional, and provide exceptional service. I strongly recommend them.

Description of Work
Aeration, seeding, fertilizer

05/31/2016

Greg N.

Dana is a one of the most honest and trustworthy business owners I have ever met. I have been using his lawn care services for about 3 years now. Anytime I am away from home for long periods of time I rely on his services. The price is reasonable, the lawn is cut to perfection, and they are always dependable to be there when you need them. I highly recommend their services because I have never had any problems or issues with their services. Dana is particularly good with helping cut lawns on an as needed basis or on demand. If you need someone to cut your lawn full time or part time this is the company to use.

Description of Work
Grass cutting

04/25/2016

Dan N.

Lawn was bare clay & rock it's now GREEN and thick. I had sod put in 2 years ago, it failed. Dana made my life easier, happy wife. We've hired him for 2016, added an additional acre, and a landscaping redo of our pergola & barbecue area. Highly recommend. Great results and cost is a pleasant surprise.

Description of Work
Lawn prep, aeration, seeding.

03/25/2016

Terry M.

This is year two that we have used Grass Roots and all I can say is WOW!! I like many homeowners throw all the fertilizer and seed in the car and come home and put it on the grass. Is it the right time? right mix? Weed AND Feed, etc. Grass Roots took the guess work out of all of this for me. I also never really have to be home. They come by, put the stuff down, bills me later. Like I said, this is the second year and this review is just a testament of how good their work is. I still do regular maintenance myself, like pruning, shrubs and regular cleanup. But in my case I just wanted to have someone get the grass up to speed. We couldn't have been happier with their professionalism, promptness, fairness in price and expertise (even FREE soil sample analysis). I would highly recommend anyone who want to get rid of the hassle of regular grass maintenance, to give Dana a call and let him show you how much better he can make your lawn look. Here are just a few comments I heard from my neighbor last year. My next door neighbor talking to neighbor across the street. "We have to get started on the lawn because I have to keep up with the neighbor next door (our lawn)." In the middle of Winter - "Wow, I can't believe how green your grass is even in January" "Looks just like the grass on a golf course" Give their team a try. You will NEVER go wrong with Grass Roots Lawn and Landscaping.

Description of Work
Fertilizing of lawn and applying pre-emergent in the Spring.

01/31/2016

George L.

The owner is easy going and good to deal with. Pricing was reasonable. Fall aeration/seeding/fertilizing was done very well. Regular mowing/edging was average quality. The disaster was the Fall yard clean-up, which was the single most expensive service we paid for ($460). Grassroots came out twice and the job still wasn't completed according to what they said they would do - bushes around the house went untrimmed, beds remained filled with weeds, an entire bed of strawberry plants were pulled out, and a mature Japanese maple that should have just been trimmed off the ground was hacked up, including broken (not cut or sawn) limbs. Most of the foliage looked like a weedwacker was just run over it. I brought this to the attention of the owner (who offered to come out and walk the yard), but not having the job done right two times in a row and incurring damage to the foliage isn't something that we wanted to waste our time on again. This was unfortunate, because we were using Grassroots for full service yard care. We will find someone else.

Description of Work
Bi-weekly cut/edge lawn; Fall 2015 aeration, fertilizing and seeding; Fall 2015 yard clean-up (pull weeds, prune bushes, etc.).

05/18/2015

Linda P.

They do a good job and the price is reasonable.

Description of Work
I use Grassroots for lawn mowing through the summer. I have used them for two years now.

Category lawn service

Hello (removed member name), thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Grass Roots. We are happy that you have been pleased with our service over the last 2 years. Enjoy the summer! Thanks, Dana and Chris