Winston's Chimney Service

Founded 1978 • With Angi since July 2005

Winston's has been sweeping and repairing chimneys since 1978 and we employ highly trained--in our own training facility--and highly paid technicians to the the job right the first time. We understand you are busy and we won't keep you waiting. We will take pictures of the areas in need of repair and provide them to you. There are no bait & switch pricing games and we offer a no hassle guarantee....

Before

+26 more images

chimney repair (317)chimney sweep (187)chimney cap repair (70)fireplace services (67)masonry (49)gutter cleaning (45)dryer vent cleaning (14)gutter repair (14)HVAC Companies (9)air duct cleaning (4)window cleaning (2)gas fireplace repair (1)

04/12/2021

CHRISTINE M.

Excellent service. Chimney inspection not only showed a safe and intact chimney and vent, it also showed the chimney was not in need of cleaning even though it had been several years since last cleaned. I love it when businesses are honest enough to tell you when you don't need a service.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep

Work Completed On 03/02/2021

02/10/2021

Tony P.

From estimate to completion of the job, Winston's was excellent. The quality of the work was stellar and everything - before, during and after - was photo documented. Daniel was terrific - he was efficient, thorough and carefully explained each step so that we understood the process. Highly recommend Winston's.

Description of Work
Chimney re-lining, new hot water vent and chimney cap replacement

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 02/03/2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our company and share it with the other members of Angie's List.

02/10/2021

Joyce T.

Winston's overcharges and uses a service call as an opportunity to sell new gas log insert sets. They charged roughly $50 more per gas log set than a competitor I used later. Service technician cleaned and relit the smaller of my two sets nicely. He then examined the larger one and told me it was broken (I could not understand his explanation of how the pilot light shutoff valve had failed) and said it would be cheaper to buy a new log set (estimate around $2500). He said the cleaning fee could be credited against a new log set. For this I was charged $230 each for the two fireplaces - total $465. I called another service, had the "broken" pilot light relit and the log set checked for $185.

Description of Work
Relight two gas log inserts and service .

Category gas logs

Work Completed On 02/10/2021

I am sorry you were not happy with our service. I have no idea what the tech with the other company did, but I can tell you this, we will NOT take chances with the lives and property of our clients. We will not allow faulty, old, and suspect applinaces including valves to stay in the fireplace. We are talking about live fire in the middle of the living room. We stand by our decision and will do it again.

12/11/2020

Steve W.

Edgar and Jonathan showed up at the appointed time and did a wonderful job on our 35-yr old brick chimney. The crown had completely deteriorated, a brick had fallen out, and several joints needed repointing. Also the chimney was badly stained with black soot. Suffice it to say it now looks brand new. A totally professional makeover! Steve Wisecarver Vienna

Description of Work
Chimney Repair, Cleaning and Sealing

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 12/11/2020

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review our company and share it with the other members of Angie's List.

10/04/2020

Janet P.

Very pleased with service we received from Lenny, Daniel & crew. They were prompt, knowledgeable, professional, and friendly. Office staff was very responsive and helpful. Excellent customer service from start to finish. Everything went well. Definitely recommend Winston’s Chimney Service.

Description of Work
Masonry repairs, furnace flue relining, rebuild some damaged bricks

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 10/04/2020

thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review that can be shared with the other members of Angie's list.

10/01/2020

Tom S.

In my experience, Winston's is major league while everyone else is sandlot baseball. They were by far the most professional of any of the three companies from whom I got estimates for this job. They provided a detailed account of the chimney's condition including photos and a detailed estimate of the repair work they would undertake. We postponed for several months because of COVID but when I finally felt it was safe they scheduled the work surprisingly soon. I was kept constantly informed, even when the workmen were leaving Manassas for my home. Daniel Lopez and his partners were meticulous in their work. Unfortunately, on the second day I believe they were rushing to beat approaching storms and one section was not done to my satisfaction. I took a photo and emailed it to Ryan. He agreed and scheduled another visit without the slightest hesitation. Lorenz Lopez and his partner really did a wonderful job that day. I am very happy now with the results. I still have the Winston's yard sign up and have already been asked by two neighborhood couples whether I would recommend Winston's. I use their follow up response as my primary evidence for saying, "Absolutely!" Any company this committed to my satisfaction, has my hearty recommendation.

Description of Work
I needed chimney flue liners installed for my gas fireplace and for my furnace and hot water heater, a new cap installed, and substantial brick/motor repair/replacement/cleaning.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/23/2020

Review for Winston's Chimney Service - 3158 H Spring St., Fairfax, VA - 38917642

11/24/2019

Mark P.

In a word, excellent. The crew came on time (twice because of a significant rain storm!). They did fantastic work. Very friendly. When they had to leave for the day (rain storm) they put plastic over all of their work to ensure not water damage or leakage). Very importantly to my wife they protected her plants and shrubs which was very hard to do given where the chimney was. Outstanding crew. If I knew how, I would ask for those same guys again for my next chimney repair. BTW- the front office realized that the chimney cap was under warranty and they refunded a significant portion of the cost. That kind of honesty is hard to find.

Description of Work
Replacement of Chimney Cap, re-pointing mortar, cleaning brick

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/21/2019

We really appreciate the review, thank you.

11/14/2019

Bonnie B.

They did a great job and cleaned up very well after they were done. They showed up when they said they would and they worked hard. I was happy with the outcome and I would highly recommend them as well.

Description of Work
They repaired my chimney and replaced two flues. They also put on a new cap.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/12/2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with our company with the other members.

09/12/2019

Christina F.

The crew did an excellent job. Very little disruptions inside the house and no debris left behind! Since they were already up in the air, they helped us replace a flood light bulb!

Description of Work
Lining repair for 2 chimneys and crown repair for one; also replaced caps

Work Completed On 09/06/2019

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with our company with the other members of Angie's list.

Marcia A.

Very professional group. Ryan who did the estimate listened to my concerns and conducted an investigation with photos. A little glitch in the beginning with regard to who I expected at my door to do the work but that was corrected immediately and rescheduled just one day out. The men were very focussed on the work and took great care to protect the family room (where the fireplace exists) from fallen debris and dust since I have a son sensitive to mold. We never use the fireplace so I can't say whether or not it works better - maybe this winter we'll give it a go. That said, the exterior repairs look fabulous and my concerns about moisture intrusion were addressed. It will also now pass inspection when the time comes to sell in the future. The crew leader - Daniel Lopez- was superb - a very conscientious and dedicated tradesman!

Description of Work
Minor Masonry

Category masonry, chimney repair

Work Completed On 09/11/2019

Tom M.

We needed a chimney liner installed for our wood-burning fireplace insert. Winstons did a super job and kept me fully informed as the work progressed, in case I had questions. We highly recommend Winstons.

Description of Work
Wood insert

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Work Completed On 08/27/2019

we really appreciate that you took the time to review your experience with our company and share it with the other members of Angie's list.

Johanna D.

The inspector came out and was very professional and friendly. He walked me through the whole process.

Description of Work
Level 1 inspection

Work Completed On 06/19/2019

Thank you so much for the review we really appreciate it.

Grant D.

Winston's was excellent. Everything was explained clearly. The team was exceedingly careful and, in the end, there was not one speck of dirt or carbon left behind

Description of Work
FP & FF Reline

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

Work Completed On 06/19/2019

thank you very much for taking the time to review our company and share the results with the other members of Angie's list.

06/23/2019

Karen V.

We're very happy with the end result, including Winston employees' promptness and professionalism. Initially, we wanted the chimney exterior brick cleaned plus a new cap to replace a screen covering the top of the flue. When Lenny provide us with "before" photos, as a result of cracks in the cement crown, we scheduled its replacement, also. "After" photos confirmed all work was done.

Description of Work
Exterior brick cleaned. Cement crown replaced. Screen replaced with new cap.

Work Completed On 06/06/2019

Review for Winston's Chimney Service - 3158 H Spring St., Fairfax, VA - 37945491

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with our company with the other members of Angie's List.

04/02/2019

Jennifer L.

A. MA. ZING service. I never thought I would say that about chimney repairs! Originally had them come out to sweep the chimney and clean the firebox, but they told me that it really didn't need to be done; it looked clean. I loved the honesty. I then offered for them to provide me an estimate for masonry repairs on the chimney outside. They agreed, took photos that they showed me of the repairs needed, and showed me where water was getting in causing the awful smell we had been getting. They provided an estimate via email and detailed out our options. The price for everything was less than another contractor who gave us an estimate 4 years ago, and theirs wasn't as comprehensive! Repairs included in the quote were: - Crown reconstruction - Grindout/Tuckpoint - Chimney Saver Water Repellant - Install firebrick in place of ash pit cover (we're converting to gas) - Remove satellite dish from chimney On repair day Daniel C and Kevin came out right on time. They were very professional and pleasant throughout the repairs. When they were done, they let me know and showed me some plastic that they left on the crown - they said it would prevent it from drying out too fast. They encouraged me to contact the office for all the photos (before and after) - and I've included a couple in this post so you can see for yourself. Right after they left, a rainstorm came with gusts of wind, and I was sure the plastic would have blown away, but it stayed put! A couple of days later, they came back and took the plastic away. Our chimney never looked so good! Incredible service, incredible company. I would use them again, and I would recommend them to friends and family. Thank you!

Description of Work
Chimney Repairs

Work Completed On 04/02/2019

Review for Winston's Chimney Service - 3158 H Spring St., Fairfax, VA - 37795744

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We really appreciate it.

12/21/2018

Lauren C.

I had two scheduled appointments for an inspection & cleaning and no one showed up for either appointment. After calling Winston's for more information, they could not provide an explanation as to why no one showed up for the first appointment and they claimed that someone did show up for the second appointment, but no one was home at the house or answered the phone. The second explanation doesn't add up, considering I was at home the entire day, waiting for them to show up, and I have no record of missed calls from the company. Very poor customer service, in my opinion, considering they missed two appointments and made no effort to reconcile with the customer, given the circumstances.

Description of Work
Chimney Inspection & Sweep

Work Completed On 12/20/2018

I will have to dispute the second appointment missed. I have the screen shot of my man trying to call your husband twice while he was waiting outside and the GPS tracker showing we were there and waiting. You should take this down.

11/15/2018

Jan K.

They rebuilt the chimney. they were wonderful I am very happy with them. would highly recommend them

Description of Work
Chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/28/2018

thank you so much for taking the time to review our company and share the results with the other members of Angie's list.

11/14/2018

James S.

They did a great job. They brought samples and had a team replace the cracked lining. They kept things completely clean. We would highly recommend them and we would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
They repaired our chimney that had moved during the 2013 earthquake.

Work Completed On 10/17/2018

11/14/2018

William P.

They did an excellent job and spent a lot of time on the project. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
They cut out all the loose grouting and replaced the grout and crown on my chimney.

Work Completed On 10/10/2018

06/28/2018

alan R.

Excellent work by Fernando. We called for chimney cleaning and he advised us that we should add a stainless steel flue liner for our gas furnace in our masonry chimney . We looked at csia.org noted that Fernando is highly qualified. After some research and conversation elsewhere, installing a flue liner seemed like a sound proposal, so we had Fernando install one. The price was fair (including a credit for the Level 1 inspection cost and an Angie's List coupon), we were able to schedule a convenient day, and we are happy with the job he did.

Description of Work
Install stainless steel flue liner for gas furnace in masonry chimney

Work Completed On 06/20/2018

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with the other members.

06/20/2018

Bill J.

The appointment for doing a chimney sweep service resulted in a No Go as there was too much "wrong" with the fireplaces, flues and chimneys in general. An over the "top" HIGH estimate was generated which was not done as a courtesy (free) but explained away as an inspection charge.

Description of Work
Sweeping of two (2) chimney flues.

Work Completed On 11/29/2017

Mr. [Member Name Removed] I apologize that we had to be the bearer of bad news regarding your chimney. Sincerely, it is not pleasant to do. We were not going to add insult to injury by charging you to sweep a chimney that needs to be repaired before it can be used. Sweeping it would have been a waste of money. As it was explained during the phone call where you booked the appointment, if it does not need to be swept, there is a $109 inspection charge. Your review should be modified and I suggest you not shoot the messenger.

04/06/2018

MERIDETH M.

It went fine. No complains, easy and they did a good job.

Description of Work
They cleaned 2 chimneys.

Work Completed On 04/06/2011