METROPOLITAN CONTRACTORS INC

Founded 1991 • With Angi since March 2006

4.2

3909 RAILROAD AVE

Fairfax, VA 22030

10- 12 EMPLOYEES. USES SUBS. COST DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES....

05/10/2016

Rose G.

Category furniture repair

03/10/2016

Kay H.

Description of Work
They replaced our windows in our townhouse. They did a great job. Have been completely happy with windows. Started out a little high with price but they came back a couple of times with better offers. They gave us the color we wanted at no additional cost along with triple pane rather than double. They were great.

Category remodeling, roofing, replacement windows

08/21/2014

Nanette G.

Description of Work
Kitchen renovation. Never came back to finish. Please call to discuss. 703-922-7686

Category electrician, roofing

08/20/2014

Nancy T.

They all talk a good talk and at times, some of the actual work wasn't bad, but trying to get them to follow-up and/or finish was beyond ridiculous! Even filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau didn't get them to move any faster. A job that we were told would take 6-12 weeks took nearly 7 months!! In addition to the snail's pace, there were multiple incidents of bad and unprofessional sub-contractors, they were EXTREMELY slow to resolve many issues and at times, would just blatantly lie to us?such as telling us something had been "taken care of"?only to have us actually go climb up in the attic and find out that it wasn't "taken care of". We'd take photos and then send them in and try to talk to our "project manager" and supervisor about these situations, and no one seemed to care that we had been mislead (i.e. lied to). In addition, work would be done incorrectly to the point where they would have to come back again to do it again! They had to send out an HVAC person 4 different times to get the job done correctly. The last straw was when they used two shades of paint on the walls of one of our rooms...I couldn't stand the thought of having to take yet more time out of my life to be home for them to come and repaint, so I just told them I'd do it myself!! Oh yeah, and to top if off, they left our home unlocked on more than one occasion. It is hard enough having to go through a house fire and all of the stress that comes with it, but to have to put up with such poor, slow, unprofessional service is beyond the pale.

Description of Work
Had a small house fire and ended up hiring this company to repair the damage and do some major reconstruction. We should have done more research!!

Category roofing, interior painters

06/04/2014

Dianne S.

The tree came down on our house on a Friday afternoon. I called the insurance company and they gave me the name and number of Metropolitan. I couldn't believe they had someone out there in less than an hour, got the roof covered with tarps, and had someone out there first thing the next morning to get the tree off the house. They did fabulous work in a timely manner. We were very impressed with the expertise and professionalism of this company.

Description of Work
A tree came thru our roof and destroyed the roof, dining room, and kitchen. Metropolitan did all the repairs

12/04/2012

Susanne H.

They promptly did an estimate, worked with my insurance company on an initial assessment and then needed change orders, obtained engineering reports needed for permits, etc. They provided me with extra paint for all the colors they used, leftover shingles for future repairs. They promptly completed all the with only a minor punchlist. They worked with me on contract language that, as a former construction lender, I wanted included. The workers were polite, professional, cleaned up every day and keep working moving at a brisk pace. Work was very high quality with only rare, minor adjustments needed during the job. It was easy to communicate with them via e-mail and they also worked with my mortgage lender to supply all of the needed paperwork in order to get the insurance proceeds released. I was very happy with their work and the way the job was conducted. I'd recommend them highly.

Description of Work
I had extensive moderate damage from the July 2012 storm that involved roof replacement, structural repair to roof trusses, gutter and downspout replacement, interior and exterior painting, deck repairs, lighting and drywall repairs from leakage, siding replacement and installation of a replacement ceiling fan. Most of the work was covered by insurance proceeds, but some not. Damage was the result of the top of a large tree falling on the house.

Category contractors, electrician, gutter repair, lighting, roofing, siding, ceiling fans

06/20/2011

Juanita F.

Our estimate was given in February and work did not start in earnest until the very end of April. We ended up dealing with 3 different people at the company until we ended up with Mr. Sparks. He was friendly and professional, but this job did not happen in a timely manner. Lots of excuses. One being that we were pretty far from their office. My problem with that was they knew where we were in February when they gave the estimate. If we were too far away they shouldn't have taken the job. We also needed special order siding because of the color and apparently it couldn't be ordered in a small lot. That said, the siding matches perfectly. The roofing contractors did a good job, but left a mess. The siding people left a bigger mess, and the gutter people came and went so flawlessly it was a couple of days before I realized they had been here. All in all the work was fine, the duration of the job was ridiculous. If you are in a hurry to get something done, this is not the company to use.

Description of Work
Restoration of roofing, gutters and siding after a tree fell on our house.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

05/25/2011

Joseph B.

Jimmy Sparks of Metropolitan Contractors accepted many thousands of dollars over many years from me for a variety of jobs. For the most part, everything went smoothly. When a problem finally did come up, he simply refused to accept responsibility and made no attempt whatsoever to recompense for the unbelievably unprofessional and poor quality work by a plumber he sent out to fix what turned out to be a minor repair.

Description of Work
In 2001, Metropolitan replaced the roof on our home. Jimmy Sparks made a good first impression. Over the ensuing years, I threw quite a bit of business his way: siding, windows, sliding glass door, etc. Each time he would send someone or a crew out to to the actual work. One day he sent a plumber who totally botched what turned out to be a very simple, quick fix (once I got a competent plumber out). He ruined the tiling and floor, and over many weeks and many thousands of dollars, never fixed the original problem, and did a terrible remodeling job. Jim refused to accept responsibility for the experience, and refused to try to make it right in any way.

Category remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows

03/09/2011

WILLIAM S.

Jim Corridon Electric Company Inc was very responsive. They were very economical. They were very efficient.

Description of Work
I used Jim Corridon Electric Company Inc about a month ago for some general electrical repair work.

10/04/2010

Tina C.

I supplied my own fixtures and materials. Same great service. They are predictably good, which is why I keep calling them every time I need an electrician. Very clean and neat work.

Description of Work
Remove old light fixtures and add new fans. Replace old painted and non working outlets with new ones. Add closet lights and switchs for those lights.

09/22/2010

Susan L.

Metropolitan did an excellent job. Rep. Jim Sparks came promptly and gave me an estimate. He went on the roof and looked around which some companies did not do. They had the best quote and gave the first 3 pieces of plywood free- my other 3 quotes charged from $65-$85 per first piece. In addition to just overall doing a fabulous job on everything related to the new roof- they spray the pipes a matching color so no white pipes are poking out of your roof. No other company offered this service which to me shows they care about every detail. I had 2 neighbors refer them- one had replaced their roof in 2007. This was the best referral because their roof has held up through winds and snow- and to me that shows the quality of work. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Old roof completely removed. New roof- shingles, felt, plywood put on.

Category remodeling, roofing

08/28/2010

Daniel Alan R.

The work in this old house with its odd construction was challenging; it was performed flawlessly and I am very pleased. Electrician did all the wiring (electrical and cable) to mount a flatscreen LCA TV; he was not keen actually to mount it on the wall, but did so after an appeal to his bosses. Electrician installed four cans on one bedroom and six in another, both with dimmers. They had to cut about 12 holes to make this work, but they were neat and left the pieces to make subsequent drywall repair easier. I have used Jim Corridon Electric before and have been very pleased. They are neat, professional and entirely trustworthy. They work quickly and they are creative. They try to minimize damage when installing new wiring into existing drywall and invariably clean up everything before leaving the job. I wouldn't say they are inexpensive, but I believe they give very fair value for money.

Description of Work
Installed low-voltage cans in two bedrooms; installed an overhead fan in one bedroom; installed a flatscreen TV in one bedroom

Category electrician, lighting, remodeling

08/26/2010

Rose Mary G.

I thought it very economical. I was surprised at the low price. I had a very good experience. The guy's name was Sean I believe and he did a good job. Everything worked when he left. He didn't take an overly long time. I was very satisfied.

Description of Work
They did electrical work for me a couple of times. I had some fluorescent lights in the kitchen and they replaced the ballast on five of them. The ballast I bought myself.

08/24/2010

Tina C.

We have used this company multiple times. They always do a great job and always ask what we want meanwhile reinforcing code standards.

Description of Work
Can lights, new closet wiring, bathrooms

Category electrician, remodeling, home remodeling

08/13/2010

Valerie S.

The technicians were punctual, prepared the rooms to be worked in with drop clothes, and clean up nicely at the end of each day. Very professional

Description of Work
We've used this company for years. They have installed recessed lights in our family room, bedroom and basement. Very professional and leave the areas clean when they are finished

08/01/2009

Max G.

Technician was punctual, professional, courteous, knowledgeable; I believe the labor and materials costs could have been considerably lower, but they may be consistent with other Electrical Services firms. Will use this firm again in the future.

Description of Work
Electrical appliance replacement

06/08/2009

Kathleen R.

We contacted this company numerous times and left several voice messages before getting a return phone call. When someone finally did return our call, the guy kept promising to come out and give us an estimate. He called once to say he had a home emergency and would be out later in the week than expected but he never came. After another series of calls, he promised to come out that afternoon. He never did show up. We called twice after that to leave messages. Our phone calls still have not been returned.

Description of Work
We had a wooden front porch post that had rotted and needed to be replaced.

Category remodeling

07/30/2008

Joseph B.

Subcontractor Jim sent out this time (named Robert Howard, Jr.) botched the tiling job initially, had to re-do, involving weeks of visits and many inconvenient days not being able to use bathroom. Less than one year later, the exact same leaking problem occurred. When I called Jim about it, he said that Robert had skipped town, apologized, but said that he was not responsible for the shoddy work of his subcontractor. After years of sending business Jim's way, I expected him to offer to fix the original problem at a reduced rate, at the very least. Instead, Jim offered to try calling Robert at his old (presumably disconnected) phone number, to see if he would stand behind his work and try, one more time, to do the job right. He claimed that Robert had moved out of the area, but would get back to me one way or the other, informing me at least of whether he contacted Robert or not. I realized it was a long shot that Robert would behave professionally, but I was very disappointed that Jim never even bothered to call me back.

Description of Work
They are general contractors. I had used them to replace roof, siding, and windows on house previously, spending many thousands of dollars, and thought I was a valued customer. This time the work involved plumbing and minor construction. Leaking upstairs tub/shower was replaced and bathroom floor re-tiled.

Category remodeling

08/15/2007

Theresa D.

We are very happy with the way everything turned out. I love the look of the new roof. The quiet attic fan is wonderful, too! They did a very good job of cleaning up each day. We found a few nails a week after they finished, but compared to how many could have been in the yard, I was pleased. They finished everything in less than 3 days.

Description of Work
They removed two layers of old shingles from our roof and the old (very noisy) attic fan. They put on new guaranteed shingles and installed a new (very quiet) attic fan. They also removed all of the old gutters and downspouts and replaced them with new over-sized ones. We have many mature trees surrounding our house that were clogging up the old gutters.

Category gutter repair, roofing, ceiling fans

12/01/2006

JAY N.

The service was excellent. The event required two trips. Both times the servicemen were right on time. Because the work couldn't be done on the first trip they didn't charge me anything. The day of the service they showed up on time, were very neat, professional and polite. They left the area of service cleaner than when they arrived and fully explained everything they were doing and why.

Description of Work
Replaced rusted circuit breakers in main panel.

11/06/2006

RUTH B.

They do really really good work. They are just a really good company to work with. The first time they came out to work at my house I had so much work to be done that they gave me a free estimate before scheduling the work. They're very nice, friendly, professional and service oriented. We've referred them to our neighbors and they liked them too.

Description of Work
We've used him several times throughout the years.

10/27/2006

KATHERINE B.

First, the good: I was very pleased with the gentleman who did the actual work. He was friendly, professional, and competent. The price was reasonable and good quality worked was performed. Had this been my entire experience, I would have definitely recommended this company and had them out to do more work. Now the bad: First, I called 45 minutes after the scheduled appointment and found out that they had forgotten to send a tech out to my house for the appointment. The tech did finally show up, but it wasn't until over 2 hours after the scheduled appointment time. Second, I received a phone call from the main office a couple hours after the work had been completed and I had paid in full. The purpose of this phone call was to tell me that the $25 coupon that the tech had accepted didn't apply to jobs where estimates had been given. I hadn't known this; the coupon did not mention this, nor did the tech who accepted the coupon. He was extremely rude about it and it soured the experience.

Description of Work
Installed range plug, added dedicated microwave circuit, and changed front light.

08/24/2005

I REALLY ENJOY MY NEW WINDOWS. THE SERVICE WAS GREAT. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY. I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE SERVICE THAT I RECEIVED.

Description of Work
WINDOWS WERE REPLACED.

Category replacement windows