Jim the Handyman

Founded 1984 • With Angi since July 2005

Jim The Handyman is a family run handyman business established in 1984 in Northern Virginia. We offer a wide range of services and free estimates, so we can get your home to-do list checked off, and your house in tip top shape! Jim The Handyman specializes in the home improvement and repair industry with our core competencies being carpentry, drywall, door installation and repair, screen and window repair, tiling and tile repair, caulking, painting, pressure washing, furniture repair and assembly, light bulb and filter replacement, odd jobs, and small jobs. We pride ourselves on our quality work, cleanliness, and trustworthy service. We’re licensed and insured, and have references on hand for your peace of mind. Give us a call so we can get your house in tip-top shape!...

handyman (453)door installation (111)drywall (67)woodworking (63)interior painting (51)tile installation (25)house painting (24)general contractors (19)window replacement (14)decks & porches (14)deck cleaning (13)closet design (13)

09/09/2022

q A.

Very pleased with Henry and the job he did.

Description of Work
grout and caulk 3 baths, install curtain rods

Category handyman service, dryer vent cleaning

Work Completed On 09/06/2022

09/09/2022

Stan W.

The primary technicians were Efrain and Neal and they were on time and completed the tasks to our satisfaction. But the added bonus was just how pleasant they were. They were very personable and polite. We will certainly reach out to Jim the Handyman for future tasks.

Description of Work
We had Jim the Handyman come and take on a number of tasks, including replacing posts that were rotting for our deck, some door repair, dryer duct replacement, cabinet door alignment, and brick motor repair.

Category masonry, deck cleaning, doors

Work Completed On 09/08/2022

09/04/2022

Miriam H.

Removed shutters in prep for new window installation: ***** Smoothed over plastered wall and painted ***** Double bifold closet door reparation * Kitchen drawer repair ***** Bathroom sink caulking ***** Bathtub recaulking first time * / repair ****** (yes 6 out of 5 stars)

Description of Work
Random home things

Category drywall, handyman service, plastering, window treatments, woodworking, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/29/2022

08/01/2022

q A.

I had two basement windows that are ground level and the wood trim had rotted out. Windows also needed caulking. Final service was brick pointing on the garage. Small projects that would take maybe a little more than half a day. Sent pictures and received a detailed breakout of costs including time and materials. Jorge Falcones arrived on time and did a great job. Was very pleased and will use again for some small indoor projects.

Description of Work
Replace outdoor wood trim on basement windows; brick pointing

Category handyman service, window treatments

Work Completed On 07/26/2022

02/15/2022

Nikole S.

The process was smooth for the work we were seeking in our home. After the on-site visit for developing a quote, we got a detailed estimate - we were able to select/remove items, as needed, based on our budget and job. On the day of work, the three person crew lead by Leo, was prompt, efficient, and very tidy. For dry-wall work, the crew used plastic sheeting to tent the dust which really helped it from flying everywhere! Drop cloths were used to prevent dirt from our entry way all the way to the two separate work areas. The new closet they installed is a true game-changer for our home and the drywall work looks great. Will definitely give Jim the Handyman a call should we need some more work done around the house.

Description of Work
1) Create a hall closet by using "dead" space from existing closet on other side of wall; build out included shelving; and 2) replace water damaged dry-wall from a leak (wall and ceiling).

Category closet systems, drywall, handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 02/15/2022

01/22/2022

John T.

The two gentlemen sent to our house were wonderful workers! They both did a fabulous job and cleaned up the area so well after finishing. Also, they were both very kind and polite.

Description of Work
Remove large area of deteriorating drywall around a skylight and repaint the repaired area, repair and patch a wall crack around a fireplace, replace warped floorboard underneath kitchen sink.

Work Completed On 01/18/2022

12/14/2021

Sharon M.

I had a long (4 ft) marble threshold into my bathroom that had cracked several years ago due to house settling. I finally got around to special ordering the replacement piece, and contacted Jim the Handyman to get it installed. Their office was extremely prompt and responsive about getting me an estimate and scheduling the service to be completed. I was very happy with the professionals they sent, as the work was done carefully, thoroughly, and with a full explanation at every step of the way. In assessing the project before starting, we noticed that some bathroom tiles also needed re-fixing to the floor, and this was completed at an additional cost. I would not say that Jim the Handyman was the cheapest vendor I found for this job, but I really appreciate the quality workmanship which was the real priority for me. I would hire them again for other small jobs.

Description of Work
Replacement of marble door threshold, re-attachment of tiles

Category ceramic tile

Work Completed On 12/13/2021

10/28/2021

Susan V.

Very expectable they were excellent.

Description of Work
Replace waterproofing in the basement

Category basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 07/28/2021

08/31/2021

Aaron C.

Everything went very well. Tim came out multiple times to provide estimates for the work and was very clear about what needed to be done. Scheduling the work was easy and the individuals assigned to each task arrived on time. All of them, including Carlos, Efrain, Neal, Mauricio and Manolo, were super professional, very knowledgeable, efficient, and respectful of our property. They took their shoes off when they entered the house, deployed tarps to avoid any unwanted paint splatter, and were careful not to damage anything around the areas where they were working. They were also patient in answering my questions and were willing to provide advice. The work they did was of the highest quality and I definitely would not hesitate to use Jim the Handyman again for future projects.

Description of Work
Multiple projects: 1) replaced wood slats on a porch and repainted the floor and railings, 2) completed repairs/patching/painting of exterior wood trim, 3) sealed a door and around a threshold to prevent future leaks, 4) patched and painted drywall

Category decks, drywall, handyman service, deck cleaning, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 08/31/2021

08/03/2021

Richard G.

Rather than doing a complete remodel of our 70-year-old bathroom and our unfinished laundry room, we decided to have the bathroom walls patched and repainted and the laundry room cinder block walls and unfinished ceiling (including pipes and vents) painted. Carlos went above and beyond, performing excellent work throughout. Both rooms look fantastic thanks to his careful repair and painting, making us wonder why we ever thought a full remodel and finishing of both rooms might be necessary.

Description of Work
Patching and painting of bathroom and laundry room walls, repairing caulk around bathtub.

Category handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/24/2021

07/24/2021

Teresita P.

They put up 3 people, 1st is knowledgeable and the 2nd assistant. but the 3rd one is not needed I think. Next time, they should bring all knowledgeable person only. They also quoted wrong price and suddenly changed it on the actual job. I will never hire them again, they are shady.

Description of Work
Installed handrail on the stairs and hardwood steps

Work Completed On 03/24/2021

07/07/2021

Cathy P.

My HOA required me to paint a shutter on the outside of my townhouse. Carissa and Jimena were 'super fast' to to get my appointment scheduled. Jorge Falcones did a professional paint job on the shutter. As I was out of town when the work was performed, he sent me pictures while the work was being performed so that I could see the required steps were performed (sanding, priming). When Jorge was done, he sent a completed picture. The work was amazing. I will definitely use 'Jim The Handyman' again!

Description of Work
Outdoor Shutter Painting

Category custom cabinets, house painters

Work Completed On 07/01/2021

06/30/2021

William S.

The technician Gustavo arrived promptly and worked professionally to complete a well crafted solution to my problem. I really appreciated how communicated with me as the work progressed.

Description of Work
A finishing of wooden trim was required to cover an unsightly gap that had developed between the kitchen countertop and back wall. Also cabinets were in need of realignment.

Work Completed On 06/30/2021

06/30/2021

Gloria S.

Jim the Handyman did an excellent job and help me discover other places that needed repair not accessible from the ground level. All the repairs were made at an affordable price. I will certainly use them again as need arises.

Description of Work
I needed repair of rotten wood around the gutters and window.

Work Completed On 06/24/2021

04/27/2021

Jennifer G.

I had very limited availability & scheduling was very easy. Carlos showed up early & made quick work of the new blind installation. I’d definitely use this company again.

Description of Work
Helping hang new blinds

Category custom cabinets, handyman service

Work Completed On 04/27/2021

03/12/2021

Michael H.

Jim the Handyman was able to get someone out to provide an estimate which was extremely reasonable and then they scheduled someone to come out the next day. The work was done magnificently and we were able to get our painting project done that weekend. So thankful for this team!

Description of Work
We had a large crack in our ceiling that needed to be addressed before we could finish a DIY painting project that we had already started. Our home was in shambles and we needed help fast.

Category drywall

Work Completed On 03/11/2021

11/25/2020

Jessica B.

Very well. I had 2 different guys. The first one (too bad I can't remember his name but he was great) fixed the bedroom door and the closet door. Professional, friendly, neat, and the repairs looked good. The second guy, Franco, re-caulked 2 showers, and installed a house number and a water hose hanger on a brick wall. He was on time, professional, neat, checked with me to make sure he understood exactly what I wanted, did a great job.

Description of Work
Repair bedroom door and closet door, re-caulk bathroom, clean outside vent, install house number etc..

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, doors

Work Completed On 11/25/2020

11/16/2020

Amy S.

We have used Jim the Handyman several times over the years - they have always completed their work properly, on time and on budget. I thought I needed new slider doors, and they told me they could swap out the wheels which worked well. They also repaired our attic/roofline where some squirrels had chewed through and you can't even tell where it happened. We will continue to use them for projects large and small.

Description of Work
Repair and repaint roof facia, fix old sliding doors.

Category contractors, handyman service, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/16/2020

10/19/2020

James B.

The work done was very good. We went back and forth over whether to install a vinyl or wood railing, finally settling on wood. I asked them to match what was existing on my porch. The handrail matched well, but the balusters were made from a lower grade wood with visible knots and defects, where the existing was clear pine. The handiwork on the railing was excellent. It is too bad they didn't spend a few more dollars on materials. The painting was good, although they failed to fill in dings and nail holes on my existing porch. Again, how much time does that take to go from a good job to an excellent job? After I wrote the above, someone came out from JTH to apply putty to the defects in the balusters and fill in the holes on the existing porch, then he re-painted. He was most kind about making it right. I pointed out to him that the painters painted around things on the porch that could have been easily removed, meaning some paint got on the door knocker and on the natural brick face of the house. There was also some spillage that I noticed after the job was done. We would not use them again for a painting job; we might consider for carpentry.

Description of Work
Repair outdoor railing. Paint front and back porches

Category decks, handyman service, house painters

Work Completed On 10/15/2020

10/16/2020

Amy B.

I have been raving about Jim the Handyman to all of my friends and family! I desperately needed my master bathroom shower corners and around the pan re-caulked. I also needed new peel and stick tile laid in my guest bathroom where I had builder grade 1990s vinyl tile. Jim the Handyman did an estimate with a reasonable price. The installer showed up on time, was friendly, professional, worked hard and did a beautiful job on both things. I will be using them again for other jobs. It is hard to find a good handyman, especially one who will do the smaller jobs and be reasonably priced. I highly recommend them. Give them a call!!

Description of Work
Shower Re-Caulking and Peel and Stick Bathroom Tile Install

Category custom cabinets, handyman service

Work Completed On 10/16/2020

09/23/2020

FARRUKH H.

This is the second time I am using their services. Neal did an amazing job. He was on time, professional and courteous. He answered all my questions. I am very pleased with the work done. He also addressed and fixed an additional small gap next to the seal. The company was very flexible in working with me to setup an earlier appointment by putting me on a wait list for a confirmation.

Description of Work
Door bottoms seal replaced on two doors

Category custom cabinets, doors

Work Completed On 09/22/2020

09/16/2020

Fred E.

All aspects were handled to perfection. Both representatives were efficient and polite. Can recommend without reserve.

Description of Work
Paint recent exterior parging with primer and main coat; replace interior door handle; replace fly screen in 5 doors; replace exhaust vent

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, screen repair, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 09/11/2020

09/08/2020

Ricky Y.

We had 3 different crews from Jim's perform work on our house. 1 crew performed mostly carpentry work (interior base trim and a wood ship lap wall) and provided very high quality