A & L Construction

Founded 1985 • With Angi since September 2010

A & L Construction was established in April 1985. Our primary focus: positioning this company as the best construction firm for custom design decks, additions, and remodeling. We serve mostly the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC areas. Serving both the builders and homeowners, at A & L Construction we have succeeded in our objective and we continue to expand. Years before incorporating A & L Construction, the founders, Keith and Bill met while working for other companies. Gaining first hand knowledge of quality and craftsmanship in Commercial Remodeling and Historic Restoration projects. Additional DBA - A & L Construction. Locally owned. A&L construction will never ask for money up front. We always get work compleated before asking for payment....

A Service Provider's profile image

+28 more images

decks & porches (98)woodworking (20)patio enclosures (16)general contractors (13)Patios (9)garage building (4)roofing (4)hardscaping (3)skylight installation (3)outdoor kitchens (2)handyman (2)concrete repair (2)

04/24/2020

Robert J.

Could not have been more pleased with the quality of the work and the finishing of the woodwork. The crew showed up each day on time and worked a full day each day and had our porch finished, screened and ready for the painter and electrician in a little over a week from starting the project. The porch is just beautiful, and the owner and the carpenters were delightful to work with.

Description of Work
Built a new screened porch on our existing above ground deck

Category garage builders

Work Completed On 04/24/2020

Jim A.

4 years ago, we hired A&L to build a screened in porch in the middle portion of our existing deck, and their work was exceptional. The porch came out fantastic and our experience working with A&L was the best contractor experience we have had. This Fall, we decided the rest of the deck needed to be torn down and replaced, so we only made one phone call- to A&L. Once again, the workmanship was fantastic. Earl, the builder, is a craftsman at the top of his game and is someone who takes great pride in his work. Earl takes no shortcuts at all and will not leave the job until it is built to perfection. Earl told us he would arrive by 8 am every morning, and sure enough, by 7:55, he was on site. He would tell me what he planned to accomplish that day and he would always get the work done. We ended up doubling the size of our deck and we could not be happier with it and we know we are likely to never work with a contractor this good again, they are very rare. Keith Ardinger was a pleasure to work with during the planning stage of the deck and patiently went over all our options with us. If I had one suggestion to make, it would be to get your electrical (lighting, etc.) done during the deck building process, even if it delays the deck building. A&L only builds the decks and porches, but they have contacts to do electrical and patio work if you need them. We waited until after our project was done to go back and do the electrical and it became a bit of a pain. Again, you will not go wrong with A&L, they will build you something you can be very proud of.

Description of Work
Screened in Porch and Deck

Category decks, garage builders, sunrooms

Work Completed On 10/28/2019

Karen S.

I have recommended A & L to anyone wanting a screened-in porch or deck. They came exactly when they said they would (including working 3 days after the major blizzard of 2016 occurred), were to the dollar quoted, and were done when they said they would be. Earl, the actual builder, is amazing and never stops. I would highly recommend. My only issue was having them come back out to inspect something once they were done. Getting a hold of Keith can be challenging once the project is finished.

Description of Work
Added a deck and screened in porch.

Category decks, garage builders, sunrooms

Work Completed On 02/01/2016

Jared P.

The entire experience was excellent, from the initial quote and finalizing the design, to the work done to put up the deck. The crew was extremely professional, and did an great job. We're very happy with the new deck.

Description of Work
Decks & Porches

Work Completed On 05/30/2020

Jim C.

Everything went extremely well. As we were finalizing our plans for this project Keith always had good suggestions, most of which we took. Once construction began, the entire project took about 3 months, and we could not be happier. The men who did the actual labor did a very good job, and Keith was always responsive when I had a question. He was frequently on site checking up on things, pulled all of the permits needed for the job and made sure he was on site for the final inspection. His costs were VERY reasonable and extremely competitive. This porch has already become our "go-to" room and has drastically changed the dynamics of how we function in our house. We are spending countless hours on our porch every day. I HIGHLY recommend A&L Construction.

Description of Work
I had a 16'x20' ground level porch built, tying the new roof line into the existing house roof line. The porch includes a wood burning fireplace, electricity and cable for TV. While shingling the new porch, I asked that a new roof be put on my shed. When the porch was completed, I had a new 20'x25' patio poured just off of the porch.

Category concrete repair, decks, roofing, patios

Work Completed On 03/09/2020

Review for A & L Construction - 10621 Oliver St, Fairfax, VA - 38507250

04/14/2020

Mark H.

No response from vendor regarding estimate.

Description of Work
Fence Repair.

Work Completed On 04/14/2020

Never got the message. Sorry

08/20/2019

Debra T.

Excellent! A&L did an amazing job. Keith, the owner was a pleasure to work with, honest and sincere. Manny, the lead on the project is a true craftsman, his attention to detail and his workmanship was superior. I was impressed that A&L did not require money upfront, a clear message that they are well established company and confident in their work. At the end of the project there were a couple of trim pieces on the deck floor that I felt were not installed properly. I sent a text to Keith and within 30 minutes I had someone on my deck correcting the issue. Hard to find this now a days. I would not hesitate in hiring A&L Construction for your project.

Description of Work
Replace decking and facia boards on front and rear deck

Work Completed On 07/24/2019

08/15/2018

Giovanni B.

They should reply to potential client inquiries

Description of Work
They should reply to potential client inquiries

Work Completed On 08/15/2018

Sorry, we never got the message??

07/27/2018

Casey T.

Keith and his team do amazing work and helped us with replacing our townhouse deck and major structural issues the old deck had caused. I honestly have to say I met with four different contractors and Keith really gave me confidence that he would execute the structural issues correctly. My deck looks amazing, the team doing the work was great, my house is no longer a structural issue and Keith is an excellent Owner and understands customer service. I would recommend A & L to anyone, their professionalism was greatly appreciated

Description of Work
Deck Replacement and Structural issues due to poor flashing in original deck install

Category decks, water damage restoration

Work Completed On 07/27/2018

07/02/2018

Jan K.

Person came to the house to look at the job and provide an estimate. That was on 6/11/18. To date (3 weeks later) I have heard nothing from them. If I did hear from them I would not use them because they have proven to be unreliable.

Description of Work
Deck repair and replace 2 doors

Work Completed On 06/11/2018

Looking back through our records, we don't find that we visited this house? If we did, and didn't get back, in a reasonable time, we sincerely apologize. . We do feel that a simple phone call, or email, would have been the way to correct this. Rather then using this media to call us unreliable.

02/08/2018

Doug A.

A&L construction had the best price so we selected them. They got the job done on time, cleaned up after themselves and did a great job. Due to my schedule I actually never met the workers or saw them doing the work after the first day when I showed them where our bathroom was. The weather was cold (the job was done in winter) and they got it done right.

Description of Work
Replaced posts supporting deck

Category contractors, decks

Work Completed On 12/20/2017

12/29/2017

Michael S.

This is the second porch Keith Ardinger and his team have built for us (at two locations). The work was done professionally, on time and for the price quoted. Expert craftsmanship. The work site was cleaned up nicely after the job was done. We are very pleased with the product and their work. The final product is an excellent value-added addition to the house and a wonderful place for semi-outdoor leisure time. Anyone looking for quality work at a reasonable price in Loudoun or Fairfax Counties should definitely consider A&L.

Description of Work
construction new porch

Category decks, woodworking

Work Completed On 12/29/2017

10/21/2017

Alan A.

I did a lot of research before deciding which contractor to hire for this project. I received several estimates and ultimately decided on A & L Construction. I met Keith, the owner, several times throughout the process and he was very knowledgeable and personable. He has been in business over thirty years building high quality decks, porches and other structures. The reviews of A & L Construction on Angieslist are virtually all positive and highly complimentary. I felt very comfortable working with Keith in designing the deck, obtaining my HOA's approval, and working with his team during the construction process. Keith also made sure I was completely satisfied with the finished deck after it was completed. William, Bani and the other workers on the team were very polite and responsive to all my questions. They completed the deck within a week and I have received many compliments from my neighbors about my new deck. I highly recommend A&L for deck construction, without reservation.

Description of Work
I needed to replace a 21 year old wood deck for my townhouse that had become worn, splintered and faded grey. I wanted to replace the deck with Trek Transcend Tiki Torch decking and Spiced Rum borders. The Trex product requires much less maintenance than wood and comes with a multi-year warranty, guaranteed not to splinter, warp, etc.. Also, Fairfax County Code for deck construction was amended/updated in 2012 and the foundation/support requirements for decks has improved substantially.

Work Completed On 09/10/2017

Review for A & L Construction - 10621 Oliver St, Fairfax, VA - 36551120

10/02/2017

Jeffrey N.

They said they would start the project in early July. They pushed that back and said some other jobs were taking longer than anticipated. I heard from them one more time saying "We still have a couple jobs in front of you to wrap up. I would like to bring my lead man for your project by, to go over everything? Maybe the later part of next week??" I followed up with another email, then never heard from them again. No calls, no emails, zip. My dealings with them were great until the just stopped communicating.

Description of Work
We asked for a quote on repairing our porch (new floor, rails and stairs) and got a quote for $10K.

Work Completed On 07/06/2017

09/28/2017

Matt M.

I am a local contractor who has a tough time letting someone else perform a project for me. I interview 5 different deck companies and i felt completely comfortable with Keith right off the bat. The entire process from job bid to installation was went with ease in a timely manner. The professionalism from Keith and his crew were extraordinary. The true attention to detail and quality of craftsmanship just shows how much Bennie and his crew cared about the project. Every single angle and cut on the deck shows the time and concentration that i would be proud of my crews to perform on every job. I would recommend Keith and his crew to any one of my customers, friends or family. Still cannot believe how easy the entire process has been until i sit out on my back deck at night and enjoy a nice dinner with family. A PLUS OPERATION ALL AROUND. LOOK NO FURTHER...... You found a great contractor.

Description of Work
432 Square Ft. Deck on a sloped back yard with a couple complications that were handled with ease.

Work Completed On 09/28/2017

07/09/2017

Richard B.

To date I have not received a reply of any kind. If they could not do the job or did not want to, a courtesy reply indicating such is not an unreasonable expectation.

Description of Work
On June 22, 2017 I sent this company a message through Angie's List indicating I would like a quote on the installation of 6 - 6x6 deck footings I needed to replace.

Work Completed On 07/09/2017

Blame Angie's list for that one? Never got a message from you?? Hope you got someone to replace your post

06/05/2017

Tachelle Y.

I can’t say enough about the job the they did! From start to finish from the communication, execution and construction was absolutely phenomenal. They actually came to us after we made a deposit with another company that still hadn’t started 2 months later. Keith and Earl were able to fit us in within 3 weeks and complete a beautiful screened deck in record time. I appreciated the straightforwardness regarding the design and pricing, I felt like they listened to my ideas and executed flawlessly. With the other company we had many convos, diagrams, meetings about details and somehow things still weren’t right. I had one face to face conversation about what I wanted with A and L and never had to repeat it again! Earl worked until the project was complete, there was no working here and there or hoping back and forth to other projects. Additionally not having to front any money until the project was completed took a lot of stress off of us; considering the previous company took money without a projected start date. I am more than happy things work out the way they did, the product we received clearly displays professional craftsmanship and precision. We are now the talk of the neighborhood! I have fallen in love with my home even more, trying to get my toddler off the deck each night has proven to be tantrum provoker for sure haha! Not only were the guys professionals but they are great people overall! Every morning I was greeted by Earl with a smile and brief summary of what they would being doing that day. You could tell he really enjoys what he does and takes a lot of pride in his work. With a costly project as such, you want to make sure you’re investing in good business and good people while also getting a great product! I would highly recommend investing in A & L Construction!

Description of Work
12 X 20 Screened Deck/Porch done on rear of the house

Work Completed On 05/15/2017

05/01/2017

Shawnita M.

I contacted them through Angie's List website message option, and through email. Never head back from them, over 3 weeks. We have moved on to another company who responded and came out and gave us an estimate.

Description of Work
Estimate on creating a sunroom.

Work Completed On 04/10/2017

Sorry Mrs. [Member Name Removed] that no one called you back. We try to get back to everyone within 24 hrs. Just went back through 8 weeks of messages and don't see your name??

03/06/2017

John S.

Did not hire A & L Construction

Description of Work
None, no work was done, did not hire A & L Construction

Work Completed On 03/06/2017

We have no Idea who [Member Name Removed] is?? We looked through 2 years of calls, and no [Member Name Removed] from Woodbridge? If there was a call ,and nobody got back to [Member Name Removed] we're very sorry. Maybe he called another company??

01/16/2017

Tom B.

Perfectly. Keith was prompt and helpful and Earle was exceptional in building a quality, made to fit, solution and was a pleasure to work with. He also had good ideas.

Description of Work
Two flights of external steps from the deck to the garden

Category decks, woodworking

Work Completed On 01/16/2017

01/05/2017

JIM C.

He gave us a estimate and ended up being exact to the dollar amount. He's not cheapest or most expensive. He does exactly what he says he will do. He came on the day he said and was on time. Everything looks great. They delivered the material next to the home without tearing up the yard. He actually gave me a estimate two years ago and I saved the papers. Life got in the way and we didn't end up getting the work done. When I called him back out he remembered and honored the estimated price.

Description of Work
He built a platform deck for us. He put some screen up and finishing boards.

Work Completed On 09/15/2016

11/26/2016

Joe P.

I had an old deck, both upper and bottom, that needed resurfacing. I got may quotes from a variety of companies... some from Angie's List and some from mail flyers and the prices I got were ridiculous and then they came back with 'further discounts' when I told them NO... jeez.. should have given the correct price to begin with. HOWEVER... Keith at A&I was great. His team did an outstanding job and even in the middle of the job when I had requests his team was able to accommodate and Keith gave me fair prices for the changes I made. I will for sure contact them again for more work... heck, I need some porch work done and this group will be the first ones I contact. Give them a shot.

Description of Work
Deck resurface and new deck rails and gate.

Work Completed On 09/29/2016