TKC HEATING & AIR COND

Founded 2005 • With Angi since November 2010

393 Waylands Mill Rd

Culpeper, VA 22701

We are a family owned and operated business, professional work with fair pricing, all our work is guaranteed. We charge a small diagnostic fee to come to your home with upfront pricing for repairs, we offer free estimates for replacement systems....

07/03/2017

Steve F.

Very professional, job always has been done right

Description of Work
Heat pump replacement, annual cleaning/ service

05/21/2017

Scott K.

I scheduled an appointment for two locations several weeks in advance, and provided addresses and phone numbers for both. I was told that the technician would arrive at 8:30 "maybe a bit earlier if that's okay" to my house, and then would move on to service the units at my workplace immediately afterward. I stated that this sounded good, since I would need to get to work as early as possible. At 8:45am, no technician had arrived, so I called TKC to ask when I could expect him to arrive. They said that he had to stop somewhere on the way, but would probably show up around 9:30, maybe a bit later. I told them I had to go to work, but fortunately had a family member staying at my house who could let them in. I then got to work and was in the middle of a meeting at 9:30 when TKC arrived and pulled me out of my meeting to give him instructions (the same instructions I'd given them over the phone). I explained that I had waited for him at my house for 45 minutes, and he claimed that we'd never given him the address. He serviced our two commercial and 1 residential units over the course of about an hour, told us we needed 2.5 pounds of R-22 for the commercial unit, and that the cost of R-22 was $185/pound. I trusted him to charge a reasonable price based on past experience with the company, so I authorized the charge. He then proceeded to my home, where he spent 90 minutes servicing my home unit, and again, found that I needed 2 pounds of R-22, so I once again authorized the charge based on my assumption that I was being charged the fair market value for the product plus any administrative costs and for his time. At this visit, the cost of R-22 was $157/pound. Long story short, when I got my bills, they were outrageous. For my single home unit, I was charged: $75 service call for system maintenance $125 for system maintenance $157 x 2 = $314 for 2 pounds of R-22 (which retails at $31/pound, so figure about $252 in profit) =$514 total The exact same service, provided by a different licensed and insured company two years ago, was $150 + R-22 at cost ($12/pound at that time) For my 2 office units and 1 residential unit, I was charged $95 service call for system maintenance ($20 more than at my house) $95 to service a unit that TKC installed new last year ($30 less than at my house) $125 to service commercial unit (same price as servicing my home unit) $125 to service second commercial unit $185 x 2 = $462.50 for 2.5 pounds of R-22 ($28/pound more expensive than at my home, and $154/pound over retail) =$902.50 total I called TKC and very politely and delicately asked them for an explanation of why the price of R22 was so high and why the price of identical services varied from location to location. I was met with hostility and what sounded like insulted defensiveness. I was directed to an online article that explains that R-22 costs $31/pound, and was told that the EPA was to blame for the high costs of R-22 (despite it costing over $120/pound less than TKC was charging), and that I should expect my costs to continue to increase until I buy a new unit that doesn't use R-22. I explained that it's perfectly reasonable for them to mark up the price a bit to cover administrative costs and some profit, but that a markup of over 500% seemed excessive, especially given that I had already paid for the technician's visit to my home, and for the maintenance of my system. The person on the phone refused to budge, and told me that my assessment of the situation was unfair, and that she would not make any concessions on the price. Summary: - The quality of the work was excellent - The customer service was terrible - The technician was very late and arrived at the incorrect location - Nobody called to tell me that the technician was running behind schedule - The amounts charged were unreasonably high, and unexplained discrepancies between locations, combined with competitors' prices, suggest price gouging

Description of Work
Annual maintenance visit on 4 HVAC units (2 residential, 2 commercial).

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

On the morning we scheduled Mr. [Member Name Removed] we did have a customer with an emergency the tech stopped at on the way to Mr. [Member Name Removed]'s location. Due to a computer error, the office realized the address got switched, by the time the office realized the computer error and the tech was at the wrong address, he was unreachable due to lack of cell service at Mr. [Member Name Removed]'s location. To address some of Mr. [Member Name Removed]'s concerns, we would have never said the tech would have arrived before 8:15a as they don't arrive at the shop until 7:45a. Mr. [Member Name Removed]'s location is at least 30 minutes away. We should have called an apologized the tech was running behind. The difference between pricing at the two locations was due to one location being commercial package units, the second being residential. Also we gave Mr. [Member Name Removed] a discount for the service at his home because of using TKC at both locations. TKC always give up front pricing to customers with authorization required before the technician will perform any repairs Mr. [Member Name Removed] was aware of cost to repair all units before any work was done. R-22 prices are not straight profit, for any heating & air conditioning company. TKC's prices are not the lowest but not the highest with some companies charging $250-300 per pound. We have offered Mr. [Member Name Removed] a maintenance agreement for the remainder of the year, at no cost and look forward to servicing his units for heating season.

05/08/2017

John F.

Mike's young team worked hard and, by all accounts, did an outstanding job.

Description of Work
Installation of a highly efficient Mitsubishi mini-split heating and air conditioning system.

09/02/2016

Helen M.

Looked on Angie's List , found TKC conveniently located in our town. Called and they were here in 30 minutes. Turned out the emergency switch was broken off. It was after hours, we decided since our A/c was 10 years old we'd sign up for the service contract. This was our decision, the tech did not bring this up, but we benefited from the decision. With the contract $250 per year and service call, labor and part, it was a total of $390. We are very satisfied.

Description of Work
Great work.

05/31/2015

Edward M.

TKC Heating & Air Conditioning did a great job in getting my home back on track when the unit failed. Crew that came initially were very courteous in providing correct diagnostics. Jason and Elijah did the full installation of the new unit and were very professional throughout the process. Thank you TKC!

Description of Work
Install new Heat Pump System after existing unit failed.

06/24/2014

Pennie O.

Super efficient. Came in, got the job done in a neat and friendly manner. Thank you so much!

Description of Work
Installed a new heat pump

09/04/2013

Sandra L.

Very well without incident; They also replaced the furnace a few years ago and that went very well without incident.

Description of Work
Small repairs to my A/C unit

07/22/2013

Scott F.

Very well. Nice to have someone respond in a timely fashion, especially over a holiday in a heat wave. Thanks

Description of Work
Replace unit

04/02/2013

Marla E.

They were on time and very professional throughout the service. They explained everything they were doing in detail. They were excellent and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
My furnace was not working so TKC came and checked out the situation. They got the furnace working and cleaned it as well. They changed the furnace filter. They also checked the air conditioning unit and the fireplace. They could not get the AC to work at the time, however, they are now in the process of installing a new one.

01/09/2013

M B.

They arrived very quickly after the call and the service was professional and competent. Overall the repair seemed pricey seeing how it was just a circuit breaker replacement, but it could have been worse as the AC unit itself was okay.

Description of Work
A/C compressor unit stopped working. The problem was quickly tracked to electrical circuit failure. They replaced the circuit breaker and confirmed all was functioning.

Premium Home Services

We specialize in all phases of heating and cooling services, installs, repairs, maintenance, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

ATLAS LC, Heating & Air Conditioning

Atlas L.C. Heating and Air Conditioning has been designing and installing Geothermal and custom Heating and Air Conditioning systems since 1986. We offer a wide verity of affordable heat pumps, air conditioners, hybrid geothermal heat pumps, gas furnaces and custom controls to provide maximum comfort and efficiency.

McCrea Heating & Air Conditioning Services of VA

McCrea is a family owned business that has served our area since 1936. Financing and rebates are available on Trane systems installed by McCrea. Resistrictions apply and these are limited time offers call for details. "Its hard to stop a Trane"

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Just about everything for your home concerning Heating and Air Conditioning, from maintenance to replacements, indoor air quality, duct cleaning and duct sealing.