Greensward LLC

Founded 2008 • With Angi since April 2010

16152 Rogers Rd

Culpeper, VA 22701

Greensward LLC provides design, construction, and maintenance of premium outdoor landscape features throughout northern Virginia, including Fredericksburg, Manassas, Charlottesville, and Culpeper. Owner Andrew Cutright is a Virginia Tech graduate with a B.A. in Horticulture and a M.A. in Landscape

03/08/2016

Leon B.

This was actually the second project Andrew and his team did for me the first being a large patio, Firplace and outdoor kitchen. Andrew is extremely professional, attentive and performs quality work that he stands behind.

Description of Work
removed Stamped Concrete Sidewalk and replaced with a pavers including seat walls and lighting. In addition moved many plants and trees to make the entrance much more appealing.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

02/28/2016

Debra V.

My experience was quite good and I m very happy with my screened deck. Andrew (owner) spent a good amount of time upfront in discussions with me to determine what I wanted. He anticipated several possible issues in the design of the roof extension (ice damming, etc.) and helped me get the building plans through the community HOA. The crew was professional, personable and attentive to detail. They also adapted well to a couple of changes and challenges as we went along. The job took longer than expected but bad weather was a part of the delay. The crew was spread across more than one job site so that slowed things down some as well. I find Andrew's costs a little higher than average, but I think the workmanship makes it worthwhile. I would strongly recommend Greensward.

Description of Work
Replacement of existing wood deck with low maintenance covered screened deck.

Category decks, hardscaping

01/09/2016

Lenna S.

Working with Andrew and all the crew at Greensward LLC was overall a fantastic experience. Well, as fantastic as a large stressful multi-month home renovation project could be. :) Andrew was incredible with his communication through the majority of the project, frequently texting, emailing, and calling to let us know the status of various parts of the project. He was responsive and thoughtful, and always took any concerns or questions I had seriously, even when I was freaking out about nothing. :) He did work with multiple subs for various parts of the project, but for the most part, they were just as professional, thorough, and respectful as if it had been Andrew's own crew. Scheduling was challenging, because of all the moving parts, but he managed it with finesse and professionalism, always ensuring that people were here when they said they would be here, and that various parts of the project were completed in a timely manner. Just by way of some detail: the entire North side of our building had to be rebuilt after discovering unsound block footers and walls after some demolition. This was rebuilt with precision and quality that we did NOT anticipate - it is like a bunker now! The trusses on the center aisle of the building were entirely replaced with new engineered trusses, and didn't even add that much cost to the project. The entire roof was replaced and standing seam metal roofing was installed. Everything but the center aisle of what was once a stable had to get new poured concrete floors. Two of the rooms were built out with insulation and drywall, and those rooms got a two-zone split heat pump system to maintain temperatures during winter and summer months. (It is super comfortable in there even with our sub-20 degree nights now). The whole building got all new doors and windows, including a custom-built barn door complete with flashing and locks to keep it secure. The whole building had to be re-wired, and was done neatly and thoroughly. (This part of the job was far more expensive than we initially anticipated, mostly because we did not get an updated bid for that part of the project, so if your job is large, make sure ALL aspects are bid in detail before work begins!) Included in this work was the installation of a sub-panel and meter that would support a new solar array (installed by another company: Solar Connexion in Blacksburg, VA, which I highly recommend); several new 220/240 outlets; a dozen or more regular GFI/non-GFI outlets; five ceiling fans; garage door openers; new lighting throughout; and fairly complex motion and daylight sensors hooked up to exterior lighting. In addition to the work on the building, I recruited Andrew to assist me with the installation of a new 2500 gallon concrete water collection and treatment cistern to serve the adjacent vegetable garden. He helped set the huge tank in the ground, paint the inside of it with waterproof membrane, plumb the entire system, and install a fairly complex water treatment series (made by Rainwater Management Systems in Virginia) in ground and inside a shed. Andrew did an amazing job on this, considering I sprung it on him at the last minute (kind of) and considering he had not done one with this kind of potable water setup previously. For reference, the tank was acquired from Hanover Precast in Virginia, and I consulted with a company in Ohio (Jonathan Meier of Rain Brothers LLC in Ohio - http://www.rainbrothers.com/) to ensure the inlets and outlets were done properly by Hanover. Andrew could have done a better job coordinating and communicating with these other companies, but considering he had no prior relationship with these companies, he remained flexible and reached out to them when he was asked to do so. My advice is if you're considering working with companies external to Greensward, speak with Andrew about it well in advance and ask that he form a relationship with the company before work begins. Overall, I think that the work done by Greensward was MUCH better than we could have anticipated, going above and beyond what was expected of them during this project, to ensure it came out the best that it possibly could have come out. We are SO happy to have a garage and workshop again (man cave from heaven-!), and would definitely recommend AND work with Andrew and the Greensward crew again. Great job Greensward!!! Thank you!!!

Description of Work
Large stable/garage renovation project.

11/25/2013

John D.

Andrew and his team were very professional. The completed project was better than I envisioned. Andrew gave us great suggestions and executed them in a timely manner. His costs were higher than other companies but the work was high quality and worth the cost. He kept us informed by email and sent photos of the project. The work was done at our vacation home so we were not there every day to watch the progress. His staff was trust worthy and worked hard to accomplish the project in a timely manner.

Description of Work
We had a 165 foot paver walkway with 16 steps that included lighting. Work also included a two small patio areas. In addition we added a front sign for our property.

Category hardscaping, outdoor lighting

07/07/2013

Stephanie R.

Andrew came to our home on May 25, 2013 to give an estimate for a patio approx. 700 sf. After measuring he said he's busy and it may take up to 2 wks to get the estimate to us. He said he needed a plat map and I e mailed it to him the same day. June 29th I received the estimate by e mail. That's over 4 weeks. No phone call, no apology, nothing. In the body of his e mail he said," It's been a very long time since the consultation of your patio, but I finally do have a proposal for you. I do understand if you have already selected a contractor, if not, you will find a proposal attached for you consideration. If you have any questions I would be happy to a follow up visit." I consider this very unprofessional. Andrew from Greensward was the 1st to come to our home for an estimate. After having others come I realized how unprofessional and over inflated this company is. The $14,800.00 was for the patio only. We did sign with another contractor.

Description of Work
Came to our home to provide an estimate. Over 4 weeks later received the estimate.

Category hardscaping

We have never consulted with a [Member Name Removed] This is an error.

05/04/2013

Leslie W.

AMAZING Contractor!!! Andrew to several hours to first understand what we were looking for and our style. He left us with a few books to review and recommended we determine the type of material we prefer. He came back a second time with a very extensive draft of his proposal and samples of pavers for us to choose colors, etc. His drawings and vision were VERY well explained both verbally and on his estimate. There was an earlier reviewer that said Andrew should have provided them with pictures of the plants...i can tell you we have had SEVERAL estimates and other landscapers do work and they don't give you pictures (use the internet). The job started a few days behind schedule due to weather and we were informed of the delay prior to start. If the weather set them back, Andrew would ASK if it was ok to come on a Saturday. Demolishing of the existing hardscape, sidewalk and stairs were done within the first week with very little mess. Andrew and his crew worked for the next couple of weeks building and designing the project. We have a 1980's home and Andrew's vision brought it up to date. I can't say much about issues...because there is nothing worth mentioning even for such a large project. We had a few minor comments as the project progressed. Andrew was always easy to get a hold of OR was on site himself. He oversees his projects very closely and all of his guys speak english so there are no communication issues. We did not like the rail Andrew used upon installation. When we contacted him about the rail, he quickly came out and gave us several options to choose from. The minor items we pointed out (such as plant placement or paint drops on the porch) were corrected and easy to work through with Andrew. He wants to make things right and perfect. I have never had a contractor who is so particular about their job site and work as well as pleasing the customer. We can't say enough about Andrew and his crew. I would definitely hire them again!!!

Description of Work
Replace Hardscape for front of home, overlay of pavers on front porch, replace porch columns, replace porch stairs, replace porch rail, replace sidewalk, hardscape lighting, landscape lighting, build retaining wall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

12/30/2012

Darlene J B.

I think I told most of this story in the last paragraph, however I HAVE learned since working with Andrew that we SHOULD have had pictures of different plants, shrubs, and trees to look at, choose from and totally explained in detail about. I didn't.. I'm very disappointed in some of the plants after being told and explained HOW some was not in uniform with one another. This has come from several different people (landscapers and landscape designers). I just wish I had the chance to choose the trees planted and the several round area plants that isn't my taste at all. I was so disappointed that Andrew didn't just sit and show me different things that could be planted in our yard and give US the chance to pick them.. Especially knowing that we didn't know anything about plants and landscaping. All that being said, my husband was unhappy with one part of the yard and Andrew came and dug the plants up and talked with me about the fact that they WERE the same plants and we had them replanted. My husband however sent him a check for the job, when he didn't have to... and Andrew never thanked us for it...My husband had a talk with him about being more involved in his business and not taking on more than he could handle or he would lose business. He apologized and accepted the blame of not being at our home when needed. I'm saddened by the fact that a lot of money was spent with me not being able to choose WHAT was put in our yard, but I take responsibility. However, as the first time I had ever hired a landscaper, I trusted the man I hired. This was a real learning experience. We had planned on having Andrew come twice a year to mulch our yard and prune plants and flowers. He has this past Fall; however I am seriously rethinking my decision.

Description of Work
We called him on advice of a neighbor who recommended him highly and immediately was so impressed by this young man. We did 'talk' to other Landscapers who were brass on the phone and too flamboyant. We had some higher estimates and some lower, but it was his demeanor that made us go with him. Andrew is a wonderful young man who is building his business and in all fairness I knew NOTHING about the landscaping business, just told him I wanted something easy, pretty, classy and not hard to take care of. He DID make us a scaled drawing showing us his plans, BUT promised a colored chart to show what everything would look like after growing for awhile. We never received that. Also we could almost never get in touch with him about questions, ideas, etc. I asked for a different type of plant for a border and he gave me one that was in the same category, but NOT the same plant. Mine would grow fast and abundantly and fill in the border like a continuous border. His will grow larger but leave gaps in the border that will NOT look like it is totally filled in. I want to make clear that I didn't ask him to replace this and this falls on my shoulders as he probably would have ,but we had gone on so long and with things I couldn't get answers with so I didn't want to get into it. I'm sure after growing,, I will be ok with it. I also explained explicitly another project wanted for my driveway, and he gave me another version much much more expensive. It was beautiful, but much more money that we wanted. I asked for a Trellis that I explained for exactly and he made a completely different one and didn't show us a drawing OR picture. I hated the first one and he did redo this. This turned out truly beautiful and we are totally pleased with it. In fact it was prettier than the one I had asked to be made. This was on the side of my home facing the road and another house that could be seen easily from the road... On the same wall was all of the electrical boxes and the very Main thing I really wanted done was to have a plant or plants grow up to cover those ugly boxes. He planted a small bushy shooting plant that takes years to grow... when there are many, many plants that would grow easily faster and hide them. I did find out that the place to plant was shallow due to cable lines but I should have had this explained to me.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

12/26/2012

Debbie L.

Andrew was very professional in all of our dealings with him. He is very knowledgeable and easy to work with. He is also very patient as I changed my mind several times before work was started. We were so impressed with the work Andrew did that we hired him to maintain all the beds. He came out in October and replaced any plants that did not survive, pulled all weeds and mulched the beds. We are not "plant people" and Andrew worked with us to have lovely landscaping that doesn't require a lot of work.

Description of Work
Installed a stone retaining wall in the front of the house and planted in the flower beds in the front and the side of the house. Mulched all flower beds and trees in yard.

11/29/2012

Jeff S.

Wonderful experience, start and finish. Company was onsite everyday all day. Detail was key and greensward delivered. Very good company to work with.

Description of Work
Built a 10 10 rack paver patio, with sidewalk, fire pit, seating wall and columns. Provided landscaping around perimeter of fire pit patio.

Category landscaping

03/07/2012

Jill A.

He is very creative he designs and puts in the landscaping and rocks.He is very honest and easy to work with. He is punctual and his pricing is good.

Description of Work
He did the landscape rocks in our front yard for us.

07/30/2011

Kelly C.

We chose Andrew because of his extensive education, the rave reviews from his references, the price, and the impression he made at our first meeting. Andrew listened to our wants/needs and then designed and presented a fantastic outdoor space, which went well beyond our expectations. We decided to make some changes based on our financial needs, and Andrew quickly redesigned the space to accommodate us. He and his crew were able to start working right away, and we enjoyed watching their progress each day. Andrew was extremely easy to work with and was willing to go the extra mile to make sure we were happy. We asked about a few minor items that we noticed as the project progressed, and Andrew always made adjustments or fixed them without question. We couldn't ask for more. We highly recommend Andrew to others seeking his services. We plan to have him back next year to landscape the entire yard. By the way, we did get other quotes for the job, but they did not compare in design or price.

Description of Work
Andrew installed underground drainage, a retaining wall, columns, fire pit, lighting, trex deck/stairs and bench, and paver patio and sidewalk.

07/19/2010

D R.

My wife and I have employed landscape companies/designers (here and there) over the years. What impressed us about Greensward LLC? The owner is: Knowledgeable Reliable Conscientious, and On the job site! The communication, scheduling and billing are handled carefully. The workers are considerate and they work hard. My wife and I were interested in a stunning design, BUT we had a variety of practical needs too. We needed to push runoff away from our house and work around some obstacles like a drain field. We wanted plantings that married well the rest of our landscape. Whatever minor details I mentioned found their way into Andrew's design. He listened. Andrew managed my level of expectation skillfully and he executed his plan. He worked well with the plumbing, countertop and electrical contractors too; alway offering to help make their jobs easier. Andrew knows what he's is doing.

Description of Work
A large patio complete with: Outdoor Kitchen Living Area with Hearth and Seat walls Dining area Landscaping (trees, bushes, flowers) Grading and Drainage

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping