Smith And Keene Electric Heat/Cool & Plumbing

Founded 1947 • With Angi since April 2009

4.3

833 Live Oak Dr

Chesapeake, VA 23320

400 employees. No subs. Charges a flat rate for service visits. Contract costs are determined by the job. No travel charges. Extra charge for after-hours service. Additional contact names - Tim Smith, Additional phones - (757) 420-1921, (757) 873-2194. NATE certified, BPI certified

12/29/2022

Detrick K.

Excellent, I get the ac at a very reasonable rate they put it in very very quickly don't have to wait anytime for them to install it. They are very friendly upfront and honest.

Description of Work
Install new AC

10/18/2021

genie C.

it was great. They did everything in scheduled. They kept us informed.

Description of Work
Power Generator

Category generator service

02/22/2021

Craig M.

Despite saying “24/7 Emergency? We’ve got you covered” on their web site - if it’s a warranty call you are left without heat until a weekday. It was below freezing weather at night, system failed and the call taker could have cared less. This company brags about being family owned, 75 years old and how they treat you like family. It’s all just words, they install cheap equipment, don’t back up their warranty on weekends and based on our experience don’t treat you like family. My advice, don’t go near this company because they will leave your family in the cold.

Description of Work
Warranty Repair to Heating System

07/14/2020

Jon S.

I will preface this with that I had another review directly below that I was trying to update. Reposting everything for convenience with and completely unsatisfactory update. I have called every day since Thursday, July 9th, 2020, for Emergency HVAC Service (their website states 24/7 Emergency Service Available) for an HVAC system that is under warranty by Smith & Keene and they told me the first available service call is Monday, July 13th. They said that they make houses with no AC their priority. Found out further that they will only respond to houses with no AC in Emergency status, regardless if their technicians are busy or not. I am also of the belief that if I was a paying customer (one they could actually get the emergency service labor rate) and not dealing with a system under warranty, that I would have had someone out to the house already. This is completely unsatisfactory. Their staff has been completely unprofessional and this is not representative of a company that has been around for 73 years. DO NOT RECOMMEND. *** UPDATE (7/14/20) *** System has yet to be fixed. Technician came out on Monday (7/13/20) and agreed that the system had two leaks in it (one at the valve at the unit and one on the coil block on the air handler). They then had to order the parts as they neither keep any parts on hand nor were willing to remove the parts from any of the other systems that they had on hand. I spoke to them today and they initially said that the earliest that they could get out to my house would be Friday. Are you Shi**ing me? After a not so pleasant conversation, they said they could get out to the house on Wednesday morning, 07/15/20. I asked them why they couldn't have there emergency technicians come out tonight and they said that they could not do that. This has been the worst experience of my life as far as dealing with customer service. If there were a grade less than an "F", they would receive it. I CANNOT REITERATE THIS MORE, DO NOT USE SMITH & KEENE FOR ANYTHING. YOU WILL ONLY BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE END.

Description of Work
HVAC Warranty Repair

10/25/2019

Trisha C.

Absolutely hideous service. Many of their technicians do not know what they are doing. When their own techs mention that they have "never seen anything like this before" in regard to how the system is installed, and their company is the one who installed the HVAC systems in the first place, that is a problem. I have managed two properties with almost 500 apartments where Smith & Keene installed the HVAC systems during construction, and both properties had dozens and dozens of issues and warranty requests from day one. 5 years later, we have spent thousands of dollars having their mistakes corrected. Most recently, they were called out to check two A/C units not working. The techs conclusion was the defrost boards needed to be replaced, and charged us their $89 diagnostic fee for each. No surprise that when we replaced the boards, it did not fix the issue and the A/C still would not work on either system. Not to mention, their techs had already been out for both of these systems prior, and their repairs clearly did not fix them. What we finally found with both units was bad wiring, and spent $1,730 having them properly repaired. The prior repair for one of these by a Smith & Keene tech was re-wiring, so it seems that their tech caused the issue in the first place. I called to request they waive these fees since their techs were wrong, and did nothing for us but cost us time, however, they their managers response was, "the invoices stand as is". Apparently they are in such demand that they don't mind losing a customer and 200+ units over $178. As a manager myself, and in a world where customer service is now almost nonexistent, I take pride in going the extra mile for my customers and make sure they know they are appreciated. And in the end, it's about doing what is fair and just.

Description of Work
2 A/C systems not working

09/18/2019

James E K.

It was good. They were on time and professional.

Description of Work
They repaired my heat pump.

03/10/2018

Randy P.

Excellent! They did it in just one day. The two technicians arrived early in the morning and worked until everything were completed.

Description of Work
They replaced my heating system.

08/28/2017

Michael G.

Our system has been having problems. We had been using Smith and Keene because they're the ones that put the system in, but it now has a problem and it's out of warranty. It never worked right for us. So we went to Angie's List to find three other companies that came and gave us estimates, and we chose one that's gonna come tomorrow and put in a new system for us. Smith and Keene just came out within the last week because we called them when we started having problems with the system. They said the coil was leaking and they put some more, I guess, freon in it, but we needed to figure out what to do, whether to replace the coil or what we were gonna do with the system. They installed a system that never worked right for us and they didn't get it working right for us, but they did come out and do all the maintenance on it, so I guess I'd give them a D overall. They were good on price. For quality, that's where I would give them a D because the system didn't work right for us. They came when they were called. My husband is saying they weren't responsive; he's saying it should be a D for responsiveness.

Description of Work
They came out and did a leak test and put freon in the system

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review, and thank you for choosing Smith & Keene!

05/17/2017

Craig J.

Both zones cost $6000 combined, but they did them two separate times.

Description of Work
I have two zones in my house, and they all went out within a year of each other. They ended up doing both of them.

03/14/2017

Linda Carol A.

I would recommend them and have been very happy with their services.

Description of Work
Routine maintenance.

02/17/2017

Lawrence H.

I have a service agreement with them. They have been excellent. It takes the provider about an hour and half to complete the job. The technicians are courteous and professional.. They do an excellent job cleaning up after themselves.

Description of Work
They came out for general maintenance on my heating units.

01/30/2017

Art P.

I was being proactive in replacing a 14+ year old State Select 50 gallon hot water heater. Replaced with the same brand name. Called several other companies. All the others wanted much-much more for the same job. Most companies that I spoke with no longer solder the hot/cold plumbing connections. They now simply use shark bite connections with flex pipes. This company uses shark bite connections. Service department was very polite and the tech that did the install was nice too.

Description of Work
Water Heater Replacement. Also had them replace the existing shutoff valve with a ball valve.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

11/15/2016

Michael T.

They are very responsive. I just don't like when the guy messes with the thermostat and doesn't change it back.

Description of Work
Spring check up.

10/26/2015

David & Jenn S.

A Smith & Keene van tried to run me off the road (I was on a bicycle). The driver was obnoxious: beeping the horn, yelling obscenities out the window and driving recklessly; I feared for my life. We were in a low traffic, nearly deserted area in the middle of the day (it was not rush hour). I called the complaint number on their website but the voice mailbox was nearly full; I was only able to record a brief complaint. No one ever called me back to address it. There's a whole section on their website that talks about establishing trust and building relationships; I doubt any of this is true. To build to respect you have to give respect, to current and future customers. Anyone operating in the service industry has to recognize that everyone in their community is a potential customer. Smith & Keene obviously does not understand this. They disrespected me; I would never trust them to do anything. There are a ton of good HVAC contractors in the Hampton Roads area; don't waste your time on this one.

Description of Work
This contractor did not do any work for me. This contractor mistreated me in the general public.

10/24/2015

Paul M.

The service was fine. The furnace would not fire up and I suspected the igniter had failed. I called Smith and Keene who sent a technician the next day. He opened the furnace, saw that the existing igniter was dead and replaced it with one he had on his truck. Total repair time - about twenty minutes. Then he presented me with the bill. $90 for the service call and $262 for the igniter. I paid the bill under protest and resolved to contact the S&K office to correct what HAD to be an error because this igniter is a common generic part that can be bought for $20-30 just about anywhere. I did so. To make a long story short, I got no satisfaction and was told this 1000% markup OVER RETAIL value was not an error and that I just did not understand business. Actually I do and would not have objected to a 100% markup but not 1000%. This amounted to a $200 OVERCHARGE on a routine service call. I will not do business with Smith and Keene again.

Description of Work
Replaced hot surface igniter in my furnace.

07/29/2015

Brad B.

Smith and Keene was contracted through Balance Builders to install HVAC in our home three years ago. The home is separated into two areas, the main home and an in-law suite. The home was built very tight using spray foam insulation and r-49 in the attic. This should make the sizing of the HVAC equipment less than what you would expect it to be. Smith and Keene installed a 1.5 ton A/C in the 360 sqft in-law suite. We knew this would be a problem from day one because that unit is way too large for the space and would cause major humidity issues. We were told that the unit was sized right over and over. Three years later and we are still having the same problems. The unit runs for 3-4 minutes at a time, the humidity inside the space stays at about 70% and there is an indoor air quality issue. Smith and Keene would have you believe that this is OK and there is nothing they can do. Not one person from Smith and Keene has been to our house to look at the problem. The person that lives in that suite has severe breathing issues and COPD, yet Smith and Keene have no response. Do not trust the big name here, they do not stand behind their work.

Description of Work
Smith and Keene installed the HVAC system in our new house

05/18/2015

Barbara B.

Smith and Keene came out and hanged my fans the way I asked them to, added security lights on our property and fixed some switches. They always do great work.

Description of Work
Electrical work.

Category electrician

04/21/2015

James/Leslie V.

I have a special needs son that cannot control his body temperature, so it was really important that we get that done, so that my son could be comfortable. It was great. They did a fantastic job. They were much less expensive than everybody else. I was really thrilled with how they helped us. The only incident we had, we have a dog in the backyard and so things got kind of busy toward the end because I am sure they were trying to hurry and wrap it up, but they walked on the carpet that went to the upstairs to get to the attic and put a little bit of mud, some grass and debris. After they vacuumed it up, it was still stained. So they hired someone to come back and steam clean the stairs for us. That cleaned it just fine. I think it was an oversight because of them trying to wrap up things really quickly. They fixed the problem and I really appreciated their service. It was very reasonable. It was great, my heating and air conditioning is still working quite well. We called and they were out to do the repairs in a timely fashion, just a couple of days or maybe not even that much. We didn't have to wait to long because I have a special needs son and he was a priority for us. It took them 2 days I think to do the work. They were very professional.

Description of Work
They replaced the whole system because it was broken.

04/11/2015

katherine B.

I've used them before and had a good experience. There were no problems this time either. They were on time, did a good job and the water heater has been operating properly.

Description of Work
Smith and Keene installed a new water heater for me.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

03/06/2015

Pam H.

Mr Linzey from Smith and Keene came out right on time and found that the unit we had purchased would not work for our shower/bath but instead he was able to save us money and fixed the old unit. It is working perfectly now. He did an excellent job but unfortunately while replacing a drawer he had to remove to do the work, he accidentally knocked a fist size hole in our wall. He was very apologetic. He let his office know immediately what had happened and they contacted me promptly to tell me the name of a contractor who would come out to repair the wall. The contractor contacted me promptly and arranged to come out the next day to do the work. Greer Industries sent out Mr. Johnny Daw to repair the hole. He arrived a few minutes early. He was here for two hours repairing the hole. It took that long due to drying times in between applications. He was very nice and very apologetic because he wanted to repaint the wall and we did not have the paint on hand. He tried to buy the paint to bring with him but I assured him we could take care of that. He did such a good job that we took his card to have on hand for future handyman jobs. I could not be more pleased with how Smith and Keene did the work and handled the situation. I have used them for years for my heating and cooling needs and will continue to use them in the future for both heating/cooling and plumbing work. They are an excellent professional company.

Description of Work
The faucet in our bath tub/shower unit only delivered hot or cold water and would not regulate to a warm temperture and stay there. We purchased a new unit from Lowes and contacted Smith and Keene to install the unit.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

01/21/2015

Bradley O.

We have a noise in the system and they say it's normal. Our neighbors have even asked about us about this noise. They did come out and admit that the insulation was inserted impropperly and fixed the issue at no additional charge. They were nice but I feel it was pricey. The unit a Lennox System. They fixed a low voltage wiring issue within the insulation, and they admitted it had not been wired correctly, however, the noise is still there. It was installed about a year ago and only seems to make the noise during the winter months. They advised they could lower the pressure of the refridgerant to lower the noise.

Description of Work
They replaced my girlfriend's HVAC.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

01/10/2015

Haywood D.

The price was great and their services were great. I've been using them for many years. They are very prompt. They offer a wide variety of products.

Description of Work
For heating and cooling I use Smith And Keene.

01/08/2015

DOUGLAS T.

They did an ok job. We had an issue with their availability as the specific system we had as only one of their technicians could work on it, so we had to work around his schedule.

Description of Work
They installed the heating and air system in our house 15 years ago and also performed all the maintenance and repairs.

12/30/2014

Misty M.

The technician called out for another tech so they could get the work done faster and it took them about 2 hours all together. They explained what was going on the entire time, took their shoes off when coming in and out of the house and we're very respectful and courteous.

Description of Work
We were under a contractors warranty so we paid nothing. I was more than slightly concerned when the guy came out and said his company installed the AC unit in the house but was immediately put at ease when he diagnosed the problem and was very honest about the needed repair, which was extensive. Coils were replaced and a backed up water line was repaired from it never being flushed when the unit was first started.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, drain cleaning

12/28/2014

Lawrence H.

All work performed satisfactorily.

Description of Work
Have Annual Maintenance Contract with S&K who always do great job; if anything wrong they are prompt to resolve.

Bert's Well and Pump Service

We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. Call or click to connect with us today!

2022 Super Service Award

C & G Well Drilling Inc

In 1993, our owner, Charles Menefee, started C & G Well Drilling due to his need of a well, but no one to install it. He contacted his father-in-law, who has an extensive amount of well drilling experience, and they got started. Since its inception, C & G Well Drilling has installed more than 16,000 wells in the Hampton Roads area. We know the area so well that we know exactly how deep we need to go, if the water is good, and what exactly needs to be done. In addition, we also keep maps of every well we have drilled so we know exactly what each neighborhood needs. Providing pump service for residential, commercial and government customers, C & G Well Drilling drills wells in Virginia Beach, Virginia, and throughout the Tidewater area. We are dedicated to offering fast, efficient, and exceptional customer service.

AMBIENT AIR CARE HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING

Ambient Air Care Inc. was born in 1987 with the strong belief that providing quality HVAC services at reasonable prices would make our company grow. In addition to being experts in residential applications, we have the experience and know-how to provide light-commercial heating and cooling solutions at competitive prices as well. We take great pride in our community, our work and we sincerely believe that we have the solutions to your HVAC comfort problems.

American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa, Check, Financing Available

Cooling, heating, plumbing, electrical, indoor air quality, home performance contracting, & duct cleaning, Home Standby Generators