The Grout Genie

Founded 2011 • With Angi since November 2013

14240 Sullyfield Cir Unit V

Chantilly, VA 20151

The Grout Genie is Northern Virginia's pioneer in hard surface restoration, such as tile, grout, marble, granite and more. As a professional restoration company, we focus on meeting the needs of homeowners and businesses alike, taking care to assess each project with the utmost detail. With our

06/16/2020

Lori M.

Wow! What a difference a day makes! Ceramic tile that we absolutely hate is totally tolerable with grout clean/color/seal. We were looking at thousands to replace our dated floor tile but The Grout Genie saved the day by cleaning, coloring, and sealing the grout. The floors are gorgeous! Noah did a super job; he was prompt, polite, tidy, and precise in his work. I could not be more delighted! Highly recommend!

Description of Work
Ceramic Tile Grout Clean/Color/Seal, Caulk Removed/Redone

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile

11/29/2017

Kelly D.

Not well. Unprofessional and unwilling to disclose license information. Too deceptive for me...

Description of Work
I asked to schedule an appointment for an estimate and requested the company provide their Virginia state license and insurance number. The receptionist said they do not provide this private information unless they come out for an estimate. Really?? VA contractor License numbers are public knowledge. Also, why would I let you into the customers home unless you are insured. Too risky. Then the receptionist rudely told me she did not want to do business with me. Hah - what a bunch of deception and nonsense. I will save my time and do business elsewhere.

Category ceramic tile

We at The Grout Genie take pride in the fact that we have an excellent reputation for providing outstanding customer service and quality workmanship. Our stellar online reviews reflect the professionalism and responsiveness that we provide. What this individual has described here is a false account of events. We encourage customers to provide reviews of our company to aid us in improving our business practices, however, only if their reviewed account of their experience with us is accurate, which in this individual's case is not. This individual, (we will call her Ms. D. for HER privacy) emailed our office asking for licensing and insurance information regarding our company. Despite what she stated in her review, she DID NOT request an estimate. We have never had any previous contact with this individual prior to her demand for said documents. We have never done work for her, never provided an estimate for services, never spoken to her previously, had absolutely no idea who Ms. D was. All we had received was just an email asking for personal private business information. Our receptionist phoned her immediately upon receipt of the email to see how she could assist her and Ms. D. was being very aggressive and rude to our receptionist. I have listened to the recorded phone conversation between Ms. D and my receptionist and was shocked by Ms. D's behavior which was rude, demanding, and bizarre. She berated my receptionist when the receptionist explained that no, we do not provide that information without knowing whom is requesting it and without a professional relationship. Again, we have had zero contact with Ms. D and as explained to Ms. D. in today's society, with people's and companies information being used in nefarious and fraudulent ways; my receptionist did the appropriate thing by not providing that information to a perfect stranger. Ms. D. did not allow my receptionist to finish explaining our office policies and abruptly hung up on her. My office followed up with Ms. D. with an email, so that we could ensure that Ms. D. understood our position and office practices and explained everything in detail in said email. Ms. D. did not respond to our office and has now posted this negative and false review. Being apart of Angie's List we have gone through a strict background check of our company and licensing and have been cleared by them, which is the only [Member Information Removed] that you can advertise on Angie's List. Being an Angie's List member, Ms. D. should already know that. Additionally, in order to do business in the Commonwealth of Virginia, you must have be licensed and insured, which we are. We do business with many real estate offices all over Northern Virginia, provide services for high end projects which require many forms of documentation even outside of what Ms. D. requested, and have even been called as expert witnesses in legal cases. And additionally, as Ms. D. stated, our licensing information is available to the public and so if Ms. D. is aware of that fact then why request it to begin with? She would already have access to that information. Ms. D. has absolutely over stepped her bounds by posting a false account of what took place between herself and my receptionist, again there is recorded documentation of their exchange. We strive for success and will not allow ANYONE to defame our company with false and legally actionable accusations or suggest that we are not doing business according to Virginia state guidelines or are "a deceptive company," which Ms. D. has done here in her libelous statement.

11/03/2017

ANDY O.

Excellent work and very professional. Very thorough in explaining work to be performed, how and why. Highly recommend Richard to anyone requiring tile work. A plus is he is the owner of the company and he also does the work as well. Richard and Nicole are very easy and pleasant to work with.

Description of Work
Bathroom shower tile and grout cleaned and sealed, and grout repaired. Caulking shower replaced. Bathroom floor tiles cleaned. Bathroom vanity granite sealed.

03/30/2017

Gregg M.

From the estimate to the end of the job, Rich was very informative, punctual, and did a great job. He explained the process in great detail before providing a quote and was very responsive when I had questions. Rich did a great job on the shower floor and I will probably use him in the future for other jobs we spoke about (Backsplash, bathroom floor, etc.).

Description of Work
Deep clean, repair and seal cracked shower floor grout.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, floor cleaning

01/22/2016

JANET D.

We called them and the guy came out and looked at what we had and he was very honest. He said this is not an issue that I can work with, you need to have something done first. Then he referred us to a plumber who was not listed anywhere, with a guy, with an independent guy. He came and did a beautiful job for a fraction of what we have been quoted by another outfit. He did not want to proceed without some foundation work done beforehand. So we appreciated he didn't charge. He spent about 45 minutes here. I didn't meet him my husband did. He was very impressed with the guys communication and his honesty and the fact that he referred us to some unknown individual that he was familiar with, that came in with his helper and just did a fabulous job. I wish I had his name but we didn't get his name. We just wrote the check and he filled in his name, you know, and away he went. In other circumstances it may have seemed a little shady but my husband was in there watching him the whole time and he knows a thing or two about plumbing. They came out in November 2015. He didn't charge us and he gave us the guys name and off he went. We're going to have him come back out to do a tray liner chemical that they put on the bottom of a shower. We had real success and we do rely on Angie's List.

Description of Work
He did tile work.

01/21/2016

Melissa D.

I have a smooth and easy experience working with The Grout Genie from start to finish. After receiving two estimates, theirs was the lower price so we decided to use them for the job. Nicole was able to easily accommodate my work from home days to schedule the job on a day I'd already be home. I received multiple confirmations (email and voicemail) from Nicole in advance of the work and the technician, Rich, showed up right on time. The job was quick and he had me come look at various points during the work to see what he had done and explain the drying process. I'm very happy with the job and will use this company again.

Description of Work
Cut out old caulk from interior perimeter of tub and applied new silicone. Filled grout line on shelf in shower with epoxy.

11/10/2015

Jason L.

Everything was a breeze. Nicole came out for an estimate, and was friendly and knowledgeable. Very laid back sales technique, and didn't try to upsell anything. I was reminded that there could be hidden damage and any estimate could be revised once work began. An estimate was not given immediately, but was e-mailed shortly after close of business. While, I'm used to businesses giving estimates immediately, a well thought out estimate was certainly appreciated. Nicole said the work could be done in a day, but I'd arranged to give a few days, even though it meant waiting a few weeks for the work to be done. There was no pressure to get the work done immediately, and they were fine with my time-table. Richard came out, and looked everything over again. He was quick, punctual, knowledgeable, fastidiously clean, and free with any advice. During the work some trouble spots reared their head, and he gave me all the options, with his advice. Some of the work was less extensive than originally thought, and they quickly revised the estimate downward. He did come out the next day briefly to finish up the kitchen and re-caulk the shower. I'm glad I didn't make him feel rushed, and let him take his time and do a good job. Any company that doesn't leap immediately to the option that costs more is refreshing. He also gave advice on how to keep my grout lasting for awhile (I apparently take out my stress and aggression on the grout when I clean the shower). Grout Genie is low pressure, very knowledgeable, and high quality. They are more expensive than their competitors, but well worth it, because you get what you pay for for something like this. I will use them again!

Description of Work
Regrouted shower/bathtub, fixed chip in the tub, repaired kitchen floor tiles.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, floor cleaning

11/10/2015

JANET D.

09/18/2015

Robert M.

I had beyond exceptional service from Grout Genie and Rich. They were the highest quote I received, but I do not regret hiring them. Rich also did things with expensive epoxies that no one else even knew about, which is why I accepted their quote. The technicians are part-owners, so they care about customer satisfaction. Rich even worked on two of his days off to finish a job right. My job became more complicated than expected (due to factors beyond his control). He was responsive to any and all questions, day or night. He was transparent about pricing, and even remembered to knock a bit off that I had agreed to because of an error. If you want things done right by people who are actually passionate about their work and your satisfaction, hire Grout Genie.

Description of Work
I initially wanted my shower's grout re-done, but it turns out water was actually leaking through to the floorboards. Also, the floor was not installed correctly and tiles were cracking. We unexpectedly had to re-do the floor, so the job got more complex, but Rich never pushed anything on me. He told and showed me the facts and let me decide. He didn't gouge on the extra work, quite the opposite. He worked on his days off to get it done on time because he was booked for the next month+

Category ceramic tile, floor cleaning

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We work diligently to assess our customers needs and ensure that the work is done expertly. We always strive for excellence and exhaust all efforts to ensure we do so. We thank you again for your business and look forward to being a resource for you in the future.

09/14/2015

Katie G.

The job that the tech did was poor, and I emailed Grout Genie owner Nicole to let her know that the work was not up to an acceptable standard. (By the way, she had not followed up at all in writing to check to see if I was a satisfied customer, which surprised me.) Rather than be professional and say, "I'm sorry to hear you aren't satisfied with the work. I will take a look" or SOMETHING remotely courteous, Nicole was immediately defensive and short-tempered, and interrupted me constantly. I definitely got the impression that she didn't want to hear that the job was sub-par, and was h***-bent on trying to poke holes in what I was telling her. I said that I had our HOA facilities guy take a look (he has experience in this area, but doesn't do that work himself any longer) and that he had confirmed, "yeah, that's pretty bad." When she asked whether the guy had me check the work, I said that he showed me. He had asked me if I preferred a "thin, pretty bead" of silicone, or something thicker that might last longer. I had said "thin, pretty." When I saw the finished job, I was stunned at how thick, uneven, and sloppy it was. He seemed nervous when he showed me the work, but did not ask me what I thought of the work. He was recommending work that I should have done by a plumber (and in this sense, he was helpful), and recommended someone whose last name he could not recall. He mentioned that he was African, and then said, "oh! But he's not Muslim! Don't worry about that!" Um, what? I found this very offensive, and I told Nicole that he said that, and she said, "how is that offensive?" I said, "it's anti-Muslim...the implication was that I would not want a Muslim person in my house" (or to do business with). "How is that anti-Muslim?" she said. Oh boy. Nicole became increasingly belligerent, and I told her that I had to get back to work. I was in an open plan office area, so I certainly could not and was not "yelling" at her, which she claimed. She probably didn't hear me saying, repeatedly, "Excuse me, but I have to go now. I have to get back to work" because SHE was yelling at me. I hung up. She's tried to call again. What a rude, unprofessional person.

Description of Work
Tub recaulking

Category ceramic tile

This review is not only a false statement of events but also a malicious attempt at trying to defame this company. Payment is not provided until after the customer has reviewed and approved the work performed. In this case the customer reviewed the work and issued payment after looking over and accepting that the job was done to her satisfaction. It was not until almost a week later that our office received an email regarding that there was any issue. During the conversation the customer was raising her voice and speaking over the representative when they were asking questions regarding the situation. All of our phone calls are monitored and upon review of the phone call we do not feel that there was any negative tone or unprofessionalism by our representative - though the same cannot be said for the customer. She just continued to demand a refund and said that she could have someone else do it cheaper. This must be where this third-party individual came into the picture. The technician did recommend a plumber who is a friend of his, whom he has recommended to many customers. When the technician provided the plumber’s name and phone number, the customer questioned the technician as to whether this plumber was from Africa. The technician was unsure why that was of relevance but said he was unsure of where exactly the plumber was from. The customer continued to question the tech for a definitive answer to where the plumber was from repeatedly saying, how don’t you know where he is from? You recommend this individual to people and you have no idea where he is from? The technician replied that no, he did not know where exactly he is from and that he is a reliable plumber who is affordable. ANY negativity or unprofessionalism came from the customer solely and the fact that this individual is attempting to say otherwise is slanderous and libelous. Additionally, I would find it incredibly unbelievable and completely out of character for the technician to make any anti-Muslim remarks considering that he is a practicing Muslim. So that is completely false and unfounded in every way, shape and form. It is our number one priority to provide excellent customer service and quality workmanship. It is reflected in our 5 star reviews as posted by past customers that we do an outstanding job in meeting the needs of our customers and going above and beyond in being responsive, professional, courteous and informative. Additionally, The Grout Genie prides itself on being a company of diverse individuals who strive for excellence in every way. This individual was treated with courtesy and respect and every attempt at trying to remedy any complaints were made, however, this customer’s motivation for not trying to work with us and only demanding a refund can only be assumed. Despite the fact that we feel that this customer has made completely false allegations about this company and one of its representatives, a full refund has been issued to the customer, though we feel it is not warranted.

05/05/2015

Susan S.

Everything was done in a neat and timely manner. Because we asked for epoxy sealant on shower pan, as well as walls, it took an extra day. We needed the pan to dry completely before adding painted epoxy to walls, less likely to smudge walls or pan. Also had shower doors cleaned. From The start everything was positive. Nicole came out and explained our options and was never pushy and worked out a plan that suited our needs. Richard did the work and he was amazing. Very polite, friendly, and neat. He did a thorough job without any mess to my bathroom or my house. The shower looks like new. He was a stickler for detail and it shows. ? I have recommended them to my neighbors.

Description of Work
Steam cleaned shower and regrouted. Then applied epoxy sealant to shower pan and walls. Also cleaned shower doors.

10/28/2014

Kenneth K.

Category floor cleaning

Thank you from everyone at The Grout Genie for your positive feedback. It truly warms our hearts to know that you were pleased with our service as we strive for excellence with each and every job we do. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

10/22/2014

Christian M.

The biggest thing with them is that during the estimate process they set up proper expectations in terms of customer satisfaction. I scheduled on-line, which was very convenient. Their feedback was very responsive. They provided a very good value and the estimate was in the middle of road compared to several other estimates we received. They weren't just focused on the single job and were focused on developing a relationship with them for future work. After he finished the work, he let me know if they needed to come back to just give them a call and he let me know what to look for in the grout.

Description of Work
We used them to clean and seal the tile in the bathroom and in the kitchen. One person came out and estimated and then one person completed the work and he provided tips on how to maintain the clean tile. The work took him about six hours to complete.

08/18/2014

Brook S.

Description of Work
Showed up on time; toured the house and provided an estimate promptly. Prices were high. They us an appointment; we confirmed that we'd be using their service. They then backed out, wasting our time. They were simply shopping around for customers. Short-sighted. Emailed them again for another appt. No response. Would never use. At all.

Category floor cleaning

We at The Grout Genie take pride in the fact that we have an excellent reputation for providing outstanding customer service and quality workmanship. Our stellar online reviews reflect the professionalism and responsiveness that we provide. During the initial consultation, which was on Thursday, July 31st, the sales rep did tour the house and discussed the scope of the work which consisted of several bathrooms, kitchen, as well as 2 areas of water damage repair. During the consultation, the customer expressed an interest in scheduling the work on a certain date, in addition, he stated that he wanted "A GOOD DISCOUNT" and that he would negotiate a price for the work that HE WANTED AND FELT WAS FAIR. The sales rep explained that UNTIL an estimate is accepted that we would not be able to secure a date for the work to be done. Additionally, the sales rep mentioned that the estimates that we provide are fair and comparable to other companies similar to ours and that if any discounts could be provided that were available they would. She also mentioned that we have several sales reps in the field and we cannot hold any appointments until the estimate is accepted. That once the estimate is received, to please contact her directly on her cell phone (provided) and she could book that date for him immediately. This is a fair business practice, since we are first come first serve business. It would be unfair for The Grout Genie to hold a spot that a customer may potentially cancel if the estimate provided is not within their budget. This could create a scheduling nightmare, as well as prevent other customers who are ready to move forward with their booking from receiving those dates. A fair and detailed estimate (based on the level of work needing to be done) was provided to the customer, along with a VERY GENEROUS discount. The following day, this individual emailed our office with a request for phone call asking to go over the estimate. 36 minutes later (Friday, August 1st at 3:16 PM) after this individual sent the email, our sales rep contacted him by phone (at 3:52 PM) as requested. At that time, the sales rep left a voicemail message. Our sales rep then emailed him on Friday, August 1st at 5:33 PM and again did not hear back from the individual. On Saturday, August 2nd at 11:13 AM our sales rep phoned again, leaving another voicemail explaining that we needed final acceptance of the estimate to confirm him for the August 5th appointment. Again, on Saturday, August 2nd at 2:23 PM, our sales rep phoned and left another voicemail. On Sunday at 7:42 AM our sales rep sent a final email letting him know that since we had not heard from him that we would place his estimate in our pending status and look forward to hearing from him so that we can discuss scheduling options. A final phone call attempt was made on Sunday, August 3rd at 12:23 PM with another voicemail left. Finally, Monday morning at 9:58 AM the individual phoned our sales rep in response to the repeated attempts at contact. The sales rep explained again the we cannot hold appointments until the estimate has been accepted and since we had not heard back from him, that the appointment (which was the following day) was given to another customer who had ACCEPTED their quote and was ready to book. The customer stated that he decided to go out-of-town and did not check his voicemail or emails until after he returned home from his trip. He still wanted the appointment date (the following day) that he had shown interest in. Our sales rep offered to book another time for this individual and he did not seem interested in doing so. As far as the individual stating that following the phone conversation, that he had emailed to book a new appointment, no email was received by our company from this individual expressing interest in booking another appointment. If that was the case, it would have been only beneficial for us to book the appointment and earn another customer's business. This negative review has been the first and only point of contact since the phone conversation that took place on August 1st. As outlined, The Grout Genie did it's due diligence to repeatedly follow up with this individual to ensure the booking of an appointment time. The Grout Genie provides FREE estimates to ALL prospective customers with the intention of booking appointments. I am not sure what the reviewer means by "shopping" for customers. Since we are a service oriented business, it only makes sense that we would want to WIN all our prospective customer's business in order to earn revenue so that we can STAY in business and continue to serve our customer's with professionalism, quality workmanship and integrity...which is why every job that we have done since our doors opened has resulted in 100% satisfied customers. This has been our ONLY negative review and for an individual we never actually did work for. Additionally, if this individual felt that our prices were high, then why would they want to proceed with having the work done? I'm sure that they could have received other quotes from other companies similar to ours. This just seems contradictory. Lastly, it does not befit our company to provide FREE estimates without the intention of booking work. It would be a waste of OUR time. We wish this individual felt better about his experience with The Grout Genie and wish him the best of luck for his repair/restoration project. We believe though, that we did everything in our power to secure his business and provide excellent customer service, again with 6 documented attempts at contact. In truth, we went above and beyond to WIN this individual's business and the reviewer dropped the ball on their end. It is just unfortunate that we are having to respond to a negative review that is completely unwarranted and not a factual outline of events by the reviewer.

07/28/2014

Susan H.

The service was great. He was very thorough and made sure the issues I had had with the caulk in the tub would not happen again. He ended up adding more grout where the tile was uneven from the installation, and came back to do the caulk to make sure the grout was dry. He was very professional and friendly.

Description of Work
I had the bathtubs caulked, and tile sealed.

Category ceramic tile, floor cleaning

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were happy with the service we provided as it is our number one priority to make sure that our customers as 100% satisfied. We look forward to working with you in the future!

06/27/2014

Adam K.

Description of Work
Scope included removing tiled shower floor grout and caulk, drying area, removing surface stains from natural stone shower floor tile, and then installing new shower grate, grout, and caulk. Job was well done, professional, and vendor was flexible and responsive. Would absolutely use again.

Category ceramic tile, floor cleaning

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were happy with the service we provided as it is our number one priority to make sure that our customers as 100% satisified. We look forward to working with you in the future!

04/28/2014

Stacy W.

Service was scheduled immediately. Rich came by an hour earlier than they normally do (7am). I left them in my home and their work was impeccable. I returned home and had what I thought was a brand new bathroom, Everything sparkles and broken tiles were fixed. I love this company and wish they were located in the town I am moving to. A REAL jewel. Price was $7-800 dollars cheaper than that other company. I was totally happy with their service! Would recommend to EVERYONE! Honesty in pricing and service was beyond compare.

Description of Work
Made my tile (bathroom) look brand new without having to pay for a new bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, floor cleaning

Thank you, Mrs. [removed member name] for the wonderful review. We are thrilled to read how happy you were with the outcome of your bathrooms. It was truly a pleasure to be of service to you and we wish you all the best on your move!

01/05/2014

Cole D.

On 12/19/13, I contacted the Grout Genie office and spoke with Teresa to get more information about their services and schedule an estimate. She answered all of my questions with ease and was able to schedule an estimate for the following evening. Yes, evening! I was so thrilled that they had evening appointments available so that my husband could be there as well, and was amazed that they could The appointment was for 12/20/13, between 7:00 - 7:30 PM, however, the sales representative, Justin, was there at 7:00 on the dot. We showed him the areas that we were interested in having cleaned and he inspected everything thoroughly, made recommendations, but not with any pressure. It was really just a very comfortable meeting. At the end of the appointment he told us that we would be emailed a detailed estimate the following day by noon. We received the estimate at 10:15 AM, 12/21/13 (Saturday). The estimate was thorough, clear, and very reasonable. I contacted the office to accept the estimate and schedule the appointment on 12/23/13. Again, I spoke with Teresa who scheduled the appointment for 12/27/13, at 9:00 AM. Two technicians came to my home to perform the work. Upon arrival, Michael, the lead technician, reviewed the work order with me and walked the areas with me to make sure that everything that they were doing was clear. The entire time they were there, they were extremely polite, gave me updates as to where they were at in the process, respectful of my home, and very neat and orderly with their tools and equipment. After everything was done, again Michael walked the job with me to review everything and to make sure that everything was to my satisfaction. All I can say is that I was thoroughly impressed from beginning to end with this company. They provided a very personalized, professional service within my budget. I highly recommend the Grout Genie and plan on having them back for my other bathrooms and to also restore my hardwood floors.

Description of Work
I hired The Grout Genie to have my master bathroom and kitchen tile and grout cleaned. I also had them caulk areas in my master bath, as well as my kitchen countertops.