Academy Door & Control Corp

Founded 1973 • With Angi since August 2005

3931 Avion Park Ct Ste C104

Chantilly, VA 20151

When Sam Bunch and his father started Academy Door & Control their mission was to provide quality service and establish a proud track record of customer satisfaction through their residential and commercial installation, service, and repair of garage doors and openers. We have since expanded that

01/13/2021

Allan R.

Not like the last 20-30 years of experience received by me, my my mother or my sister. Must be under new management taking advantage of the original owners' company name. My sister paid for a new garage door opener but the installer gave her just one opener. Not a second one for her partner. Not her car which was programmable. I, the brother, have live for over 35 years just a few blocks away and am regularly ask to cover her house when she is out of town, and of course visit. This rip-off artist of a "tech" charged me a huge amount to return and program her car and mine. Then I was charged a exorbitant amount for batteries that were not needed. I left a message with the owner, but never got a called back. Since I made the call for the return, I paid for it, and, my sister reimbursed me. Avoid this new shyster operation at all costs!

Description of Work
code two cars and remotes

01/13/2021

Allan R.

My family (mother, myself, and my sister) has been using this company for decades. But recently my sister needed a new opener. At the time she was living alone. The tech did not program her car, but instead program one opener. My family in the NOVA area has always share multiple programmed garage door openers, including spouses and an occasional house guest. I could not believe how inept or lazy my sister was treated for installing a new opener. So I called and told their office of the problem and they immediately scheduled a return visit. What surprised me was how the tech could program my opener, several for her, including her own car within 20-30 min. Then I was submitted with a bill of $158., including for two small #2016 batteries that were not needed (the light turned on for the remote opener), at $9.00 each. A ten pack costs $5.99 at Amazon or $1.67 for a single pack at Home Depot. I called the company and was told to call back later and ask for the manager. That I did and left a message, but a call was never returned. My gut feeling is that the original techs have left the company and it must be under new management living off their old reputation. The one that visited my sister never heard of the tech that visited me in 2014 or my mother over the last 20-30+ years. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Description of Work
Only after calling back to get car and additional remotes programmed for spouse and family memebers

09/22/2020

Steve G.

They did a great job and the work was done quickly. Would hire again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Garage door opener installation

05/14/2020

M B.

It finally came time for us to replace two old wooden garage doors. First I did some research on garage doors in general. Lots of info on the Internet. Then I did extensive research on quality garage door contractors in my area. Used Yelp and other sources. Came up with a list of five quality candidates and sent details to each for bids. Eliminated 3 in relatively short order for various reasons. Came down to two candidates for the same two door options (either a Clopay or a CHI) -- Academy and another contractor. I focused on all decisioning points -- service, price, features, warranty, etc. Both were very close on price so that was not a discriminating factor. However, all the other factors came out very much in favor of Academy. Our sales contact, Dave McLaughlin was superb. Knowledgeable, responsive, helpful. The two managers at HQ -- John and Alan -- also very professional and responsive. So I did the order with Academy and selected the Clopay doors. Doors arrived in the time period they said. Scheduled the install. Jim and Coach (two HUGE guys!) showed up and did the install. They were even able to deal with the fact that my floor was off level just a shade. Made the doors fit well. Thanks guys! So far so good! Love the new doors! SO much better than the old ones in every way. Now I have to fix up my house b/c the garage doors are now the best part!

Description of Work
Replace two old garage doors

Category garage doors

[Member Name Removed] Your support means the world to us! We appreciate your kindness, and we'll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve. Thank for your business!

05/13/2020

Jason M.

They did an excellent job; they were prompt, professional, and the quality of work was great. They were only here maybe 3 hours and cleaned up before they left.

Description of Work
Installed two new garage doors and openers.

Category garage doors

Thank you for the privilege of your business. Please let us know if we can help in the future.

01/18/2020

Henry D.

William arrived 5 minutes ahead of schedule and wrapped everything up in 20 minutes.

Description of Work
Annual Door/opener maintenance/repair

12/03/2019

Debra B.

The garage door installer was on time, professional, and efficient. All went well and continue to have no problems with the quality of the job. DTB

Description of Work
New garage door and new garage door opener with remotes.

09/13/2019

Jason A.

Called Academy at 8am on a Friday to replace the spring on my garage door. They offered a window of 11-2 that same day, and arrived at noon. Completed job in about an hour. Both technicians were nice. Would use again.

Description of Work
Garage Door Spring Replacement

08/30/2019

Keri P.

They were very knowledgable when I called in and answered my questions. They were able to provide a quote over the phone and send a technician within a few hours to fix the issue. Overall, a great experience.!

Description of Work
Replaced broken garage door springs

08/08/2019

Joseph K.

We are doing some renovations at our house and wanted better insulated garage doors and smoother, quieter lifters. We used Academy Door and could not be more pleased. The estimator that they sent to our house to write up a proposal was pleasant, professional and knowledgeable. The installation team was fantastic -- they did a terrific job and left the garages and our yard area spotless. The new doors are keeping the summer temperatures in our garage much better controlled and the new power lift mechanisms are smooth, quiet and have all of the features we wanted. Based on the work that they did for us, we recommend Academy Door without hestiation.

Description of Work
Complete replacement of three garage doors, lifters and controls

07/29/2019

cj S.

Great good people installer left a little mess but they quickly fixed that issue - good people

Description of Work
Garage door

04/04/2019

Ram M.

Technician was polite, prompt, and professional. Provided guidance on managing electrical garage doors, demonstrated some maintenance tips for our education, and even changed a light bulb! Great service overall.

Description of Work
Provided maintenance service for two garage doors.

10/26/2018

Don F.

I've used Academy multiple times over the years (garage door install) and have never been disappointing. Came out the next day after I called (would have come out that day but my schedule wasn't open) when it sounded like my motor was laboring- once the weather turned cold, it struggled to lift and stopped about halfway. Mario came out - he was great - didn't try to sell me anything like a new part or motor, but said I just needed to grease the trolley area and side tracks and spring (which he also tightened). Honest and gave me good advice for preventing this issue (if anyone reading this has similar issues, remember to use grease and wd-40 once a year or when the track is dry to save you a repair visit). Used the mailer $20 coupon which is always available. Recommend them very highly.

Description of Work
Garage Door stopped Working

10/23/2018

Jon H.

They were on time. They did a good job. No issues.

Description of Work
They did minor garage door repair.

08/19/2018

Kevin C.

Door and motor work great. Very happy with the product and installation. The only problem was that there was no effort to clean up. I found dozens of sharp staples/ nails on the garage floor. And in the driveway. I spent an hour searching for and picking them up. Haven’t heard from the company about the complaint at all.

Description of Work
Single garage door and motor replaced.

08/06/2018

Jill U.

Very pleased - we will absolutely use Academy Door & Control Company again. Scheduling an appointment took two attempts - the appointment window given was missed as the work required prior to our appointment took longer than expected. The onsite rep "Big Jim" was great; efficient and professional.

Description of Work
Resetting the openers and outside garage pad

08/04/2018

David M.

We needed a new garage door, and from beginning to end Academy Door & Control acted professionally and courteously to get us what we needed. We received estimates from several different door companies, but we chose Academy because the selection of doors they offered matched our needs, and their prices were reasonable. We were able to get a door in the color we needed (green) to conform to the requirements of our HOA, and the installers who came to put the door in were respectful and efficient. We would certainly use Academy again, and we would recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Garage Door Replacement

07/11/2018

michael B.

Went well. Knew what to do, did it, and waited for us to inspect and approve.

Description of Work
Inspect garage door. Adjusted spring tension, lubricated some areas.

06/22/2018

Brandon H.

Service professional was very knowledgeable and the work was very good. Responsiveness was excellent and the pricing was reasonable.

Description of Work
Need garage door opener / cabling replaced

06/21/2018

Bruce B.

They were professional, timely and I am please with the new garage door and motor (which they recommended).

Description of Work
Replace garage door and motor

06/15/2018

Donna M.

I called Academy because they installed the original garage door in 2005. Their rates seemed fair in comparison to estimates elsewhere on the Internet. Most impressively, Technician Harry arrived later the same afternoon. He installed new springs and, as a courtesy, performed maintenance on the door and opener. Harry was very professional and pleasant. In all, I was very satisfied with my experience and would hire Academy again.

Description of Work
Replacement of broken torsion spring

06/04/2018

James J H.

Excellent! Great service & price, plus a $ coupon! Harry, the technician is just the best!

Description of Work
Overhead garage door check up & tune up.

05/03/2018

PAUL G.

Harry was punctual, knowledgeable and very professional. He explained the problem and got on with the job of replacing the Torque Master. The garage door now works like a charm, with my Chamberlain garage door opener. I would highly recommend Academy Door and Control corp.

Description of Work
Replace Torque Master on Garage Door

05/02/2018

TERESA W.

Great service -- technician was here all day, installed new garage door openers, removed the old ones, and programmed our cars to link up to the new door openers. Answered questions and was very professional. Also replaced springs on one door bay, which were old and failing. Very reasonable price.

Description of Work
Remove 2 old garage door openers, and replace with 2 new ones, plus install a third new one

04/30/2018

Susan S.

Professional job done quickly and efficiently by the company technician, Jorge' (George). He explained the process, provided all the services necessary to give us fully functional garage doors with the latest in technology and safety systems. He ensured we knew how to work the doors properly and also ensured our two cars were programmed properly to open the doors with the vehicle installed electronics. Our previous systems were over 30 years old, one door lifter was not working properly and both were noisy and had no safety stops. The installed products are quiet and have much more automated capability.

Description of Work
Replace Both Garage Door Lifters, Track Rollers and Door Seals

Williamson Best Garage Doors

Family Prestige Garage Doors

Family Prestige Garage Doors is a very unique company with high quality and expectations. Our company goal is to put at your service certified technicians willing to assist you with all your needs, We offer you complete security with your homes. In fact, we know and understand all your needs when it comes to garage doors and openers. Will match competitor pricing with written estimate for similar product. Will match competitor pricing with written estimate for similar product. Additional Area served - Stafford & DC. Prince William & Saint Mary's Counties .

Door Doctor Inc

Door Doctor inc. Has been in the garage door business for over twenty years. We are a family owned and operated business, dedicated to the highest quality professional service and complete customer satisfaction. From minor repairs to complete garage door and opener installations, there is no problem too small and no project too big for the door doctor’s team of expert technicians. Door doctor specializes in meeting the increased design and customization needs of carriage house and custom built garage doors. We work in close collaboration with our customers and leading manufacturers to create a unique garage door that will enhance the beauty of any home, with a personal touch. Our detail oriented team is there every step of the way from the initial idea to the installation of the finished product. Award wining.

Award 2022

Furs
    Office Equipment Repair
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check, Financing

Residential & Commercial New Doors, Openers & Accessories, Maintenance, Garage Floors, Racedeck, Polyaspartic, Tuff Seal, Organization, Cabinets, Slotwall, Gates, Openers, Security, Interior Organization, Closets, Pantries, & Laundry Rooms.