Deepwood Veterinary Clinic

Veterinarians
Animal Boarding Kennels
Animal Rescues/Shelters
Animal Grooming

Additional email- deepwoodvet@yahoo.com, xrays@deepwoodvet.net, info@deepwoodvet.net, largeanimal@deepwoodvet.net. Additional phone number- (703) 659-7599. Additional contact name- Wanda V Mouser. Additional services- corrective shoeing, onsultations/trimming services, pre-purchase exams, lameness, reproductive services, herd health, acupuncture, massage, onsite intermediate care, humane euthanasia, endoscopy, pot-bellied pig, preventative medicines, parasite control, wing, teeth and nail clipping, nutritional care, radiology & surgery....

05/01/2017

As I observed it, quality care was provided.

Description of Work
Boarding, general veterinary services for new puppy.

03/26/2015

We like them and we think they are good. Our dog had a problem and we finally got her on the right diet and got it fixed. We have seen them quite a lot. I think they are good. They are very responsive. We have pet insurance and I rate their pricing good. The punctuality depends since they have emergencies that walk in.

Description of Work
We go to Deepwood Veterinary Clinic for veterinary service for our dog. We are going to have our dog, Happy, spayed there.

10/22/2013

They took very good care of my dog and treated us both with respect and compassion. We primarily saw Dr. Pool, but we saw several others as well; all were professional, knowledgeable, and caring. Their treatments were effective and they offered good advice on how avoid future problems. They never rushed though an appointment and gladly answered all of my questions. Considering the quality of the c...

Description of Work
From January 2007 to October 2013 they were the sole veterinary provider and occasional kennel for my West Highland White Terrier. He had quite a few skin and ear infections over that period as well as dental problems and cataracts in both eyes.

04/04/2013

Their service is fairly priced. They are very accommodating, and they take good care of my dog when he is boarded. He gets excellent veterinary care. Also, they are very responsive.

Description of Work
I brought my pet to Deepwood Veterinary Clinic for animal boarding kennel as well as veterinary service.

03/21/2012

They have taken good care of us and the cat. They are very friendly.

Description of Work
We go to Deepwood Veterinary Clinic for veterinary care for our cat.

03/31/2011

I would like to preface this report with: The vets are Deepwood are great. They are kind, caring, and really want to give your animals the best care, BUT the staff and office management are anything but. I have been taking my three dogs to Deepwood for the last 2 years. We found them for their boarding services, which we were very happy with the first time we used them. Essentially, our experience started off great. The staff was attentive and making an appointment was never a problem. Over time, it got worse. The last three visits, we've had to wait for over 30 minutes to see a tech, and bills have been wrong or twice we anticipated. The staff was quite rude when appointments seemed to be taking much longer than normal. On the second to last vet visit, the cashier only charged me for services for one dog instead of two. I didn't notice because the charges were nearly $300 for a checkup, vaccinations, and heartworm medication. I assumed that it was for both dogs due to the price. At the follow up appointment for the vaccine booster, while checking out the staff let me know that I had a remaining balance. I said that it wasn't a problem, but I wish they would have let me know that the bill wasn't paid in full when they discovered the error. On that visit I had two bills to pay: one for the current visit and one for the previous visit. After talking to other vets, this office requires more vaccines than necessary and more than any other vet I've used in the past. I decided that I wasn't going to use them anymore because they were requiring me to bring in all three dogs more than twice a year for checkups and vaccinations. It just felt excessive. At my last vet, we saw her twice a year, at most. I have healthy dogs, for the most part, and we love them very much. I figured I’d give them another shot and that maybe they were just very thorough with their care. Since I did like our first few experiences at Deepwood, we decided to go back for boarding services one more time. We had used them in the past and we were crunched for time to find a new place. This whole situation ends disastrous. Essentially, the price I was given over the phone was not even close to what I ended paying. I called for pricing and availability. I said that I had three dogs and would need 2 run-ins because the two small dogs could stay together but the big dog needed his own run-in. The girl I spoke to on the phone suggested the luxury pet suite where all three of my dogs could stay for $60/night. It was explained to me that they would get extra room, but for $10 more per night than 2 run-ins. The run-ins were $25/night. She said that the room also came with walks and with the run-ins I would have to add that as an additional cost. In addition to the boarding services my dogs (who had already been examined and vaccinated twice that year) needed to have full examinations and vaccines before they could stay. We were leaving for vacation and didn't research other places, so we agreed. It didn’t seem like too much and the price sounded reasonable. My husband brought the dogs in for their stay and signed an agreement for each dog stating we were paying $60/night. The sheets were all identical. He thought it was just an agreement for each dog. We had all their food separated and brought their beds and blankets with them. Upon leaving the staff told my husband that there would be an additional fee for the holiday. He called me and asked if I knew about it. I said no and that they didn't say anything over the phone when I made the reservations, but that it was ok and it was only an extra $20 or so for the holiday. When we picked up the dogs 10 days later, our bill was almost $1700. The dogs were not $60/night for the room, but $60 PER night PER dog. This would have made sense if these were the charges, but they weren't. The first dog was $60, the second $45, and the third $30 for a grand total of $135/night. I thought I was literally going to have a heart attack. We only paid for what we were told over the phone ($60/dog plus the vet fees) and we told the staff that we would discuss with management later in the week to finalize the bill. The woman on staff ask my husband to sign a promissory note stating that if the bill wasn’t paid in 30 days that it would be turned over the Fairfax County Police for nonpayment. My husband told her that he wasn’t signing the form until he talked to management about the bill because he thought there was an error. We played phone tag with the office manager for about 4 days. After speaking with management, we misinterpreted the information we were given over the phone and that she did an investigation with the girl was working the desk that day. Management asked us where I got $50/night from because they didn’t have a room at that rate. I told her that it was from the 2 run-ins (@$25/night) and that the girl told me the luxury pet suite was only $10/night more at $60/night and that I was never given a PER dog price nor was it ever discussed. She said that she thinks I just didn’t hear the PER dog part of the conversation and that the next time I come in they can give me an estimate before services are performed so there are no “surprises” in the end. I told her that I wasn’t cheap, but there is a big difference between $135/night and $60/night and that he staff needed to be clearer when they give our details over the phone. Additionally, we were told we didn't do our market research because I would have known that their prices were fair and reasonable. When I asked her why the specific price associated with each dogs wasn't listed on the agreements we signed for each dog management told us that "we apply the discount afterwards to help you save money." My argument was that I was totally mislead by what I was told on the phone ($60/night) and the "real" price per dog ($60/45/30 or $135) or total price per night ($180) should have been indicated on the agreement form to inform us that we were paying PER DOG and not PER ROOM. Management then said that the real price should have been $180/night so I should be happy they applied the discounted rate per dog. I was absolutely floored. I told her that they did perform a service and I am not a dirt bag, so I would come in and pick up my dog's medicine that we purchased that they forgot to give us, as well as his blanket they couldn't find, and pay the other half of my outrageous bill. The management and I had a very polite but "matter-of-fact" conversation. The conversation was not heated and it didn't escalate. We were just on two different sheets of music about how this situation was handled. Furthermore, I was treated like absolute garbage when I came back in to the office. They took over 45 minutes to "refill" my dog's prescription and told me that they couldn't find his blanket. When I told her that it was brand new and in good condition she said, "Well, I can't find it" and to just throw the one of theirs I had in the garbage if I didn't want it. I stayed as calm as possible, collected my things, and left. I wanted to ask for a copy of my pet's medical records, but feared they would charge me $20/page. If there is one thing that I've learned through this experience is if you have a bad feeling about a place trust your instincts and do your market research before settling with your first pick. The sad part is I would have probably gone back if they would have handled it better by being nice to me and apologizing for the mistake. Apparently the customer is not always right... but it's ok because they just lost my business.

Description of Work
Vet services and 10 days of boarding for three dogs

Category veterinarian","boarding

02/18/2011

Overall, the visit was excellent. I am very happy with Deepwood. Most times there is a wait for appointments, but I figure this is because they are giving every patient their full attention. So, this is the cost of getting good care. I would rather wait a bit and get thorough service.

Description of Work
I took my pet in because of diarrhea. I am a long-time customer; during the course of the exam, I/we realized that she had not had her senior blood work done recently enough. So, I authorized this additional charge ($164). Ultimately, everything turned out to be normal. Don't really know what the cause of her gastro issues were. Her issues cleared up with some medication that we got during the visit. So, for the actual diarrhea visit, the total cost would have been $86, $55 of which was the visit/exam charge. Since I've been a customer so long (18 years), I don't have any other point of reference for the costs. I am very happy, however, with the thoroughness of this doctor, Dr. Pool. I trust her. I am probably overly sensitive to costs at this point, because of last year with another dog of ours. We spent an astronomical amount of money to try to help him; only to lose him anyway. This money was spent at 3 various facilities, here at Deepwood, at an animal dentists, and an oncologist. It was our choice to continue to try to help our pet. We went to extremes. That's just who we are.

01/28/2011

I am pleased with Deepwoods. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the facility is clean. The hospital director spent a significant amount of time in the phone with me advising about my cats' spraying habits, even though I hadn't made an appointment. Deepwoods also provided guidance for managing the colony of six feral cats I have in my backyard. I recommend Deepwoods.

Description of Work
My two cats have been regular patients at Deepwoods for over a year, since they were kittens. They get all their shots, dewormings, etc at Deepwoods. They have also gotten urinary tract inspections and general bloodwork done. I also boarded them for over a week this summer.

06/08/2009

They provide very good care and I have no complaints with them at all. They meet our expectations and it has been pretty good so far. The office staff is very professional and seems like they love animals.

Description of Work
I take my dog here for its overall care. I last took him for a grooming, boarding and also to get an eye problems checked.

10/10/2008

They were wonderful and extremely supportive. They understood why it had to be done and that we were deeply saddened by the event. They minimized the trauma.

Description of Work
I had a dog that was suffering from cancer, so they put him down.

Category veterinarian

Pet vaccinations, preventative care, dental care, pet grooming, microchipping, cat & dog acupuncture, herbal and holistic medicine, nutritional counseling, prescription pet food, onsite diagnostics, surgery, pain management, pharmacy, senior pet health care, hospice and euthanasia, wellness examinations, vaccinations, dental, ophthalmic exams & laboratory testing.