Virginia Basement

Founded 1999 • With Angi since November 2008

PO Box 244

Ashland, VA 23005

Additional service areas - powhatan, prince george, richmond city. See website for additional services offered. Additional DBA - BFH Enterprises Inc....

10/18/2017

Greg H.

The work was good and was completed on time. Working with Trey was easy and he was very polite & professional the entire time. However, we have two complaints. 1) They (Rob) said they would provide a quote for us for to finish our stairs and hang drywall but they never did. I'm assuming they were too busy with other waterproofing jobs, but a simple "I'm sorry, we are unable to do that" would have been fine. I called at least 2-3 times to follow up on the 2nd quote with no returned phone calls. 2) They removed the carpet on our stairs to complete the job (totally fine), however, they never put it back and left our basement stairs bare with nails sticking out of them.

Description of Work
Waterproofed basement.

05/16/2017

Pamela W.

I didn't go with them, but I was very impressed with the gentleman who I dealt with. I was very very very impressed with him, I didn't; go with him because he was higher than the other contractor. The other contractor I selected but I ending up with taking the other contractor to court so I may end up using him. I was very impressed with Trey, but he was a little higher. I wish that i went with him. I talked to him several times. I might call him soon.

Description of Work
They gave me a quote. They were going to go up under my crawl space and clean out all the debris and mold and everything first. Then they were going to insulate under my house, and then they were going to do the encapsulation. Because I have moisture up under my crawl space.

Category insulation

04/17/2017

Elisabeth M.

I was impressed with Virginia Basement from start to finish. They diagnosed the problem and clearly explained what they recommended to solve it. (I got similar diagnoses from other providers, but Virginia Basement's was the clearest and most comprehensive--and slightly less expensive.) They arrived on schedule and actually finished more quickly than they had predicted. They finished up a final chore (installing a new electrical outlet) today, and supervisor came an hour later to inspect and insure that all was well. Excellent work, professional service.

Description of Work
Because of leakage in my basement (110 year old house in the Fan), I had a grate drain perimeter system with a grate trench, thermal shield and sump pump installed.

Category basement waterproofing, wells

12/05/2016

Karen R.

Never received an estimate. Have called twice with no return phone call. I am deeply disappointed, especially since the company received great feedback.

Description of Work
He came out to check my foundation for repair. We discussed options. I was told to expect an estimate by close of business the following date via email.

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

05/05/2016

William K.

Rob, was prompt, pleasant to work with and had all the materials needed to perform the job. Completed within 2 hours.

Description of Work
installed a new sump pump.

Category wells

03/22/2016

Edward M.

Did not choose this service provider.

Description of Work
Provided a quote for stopping occasional water leakage in walk-out unfinished basement. They only offered one solution..,no options, and this was almost twice the cost for the same solution from the competitor.

07/14/2015

Carol B.

They were fantastic. They had some struggles but the basement has been dry as can be and I will have them back to do some walls.

Description of Work
Basement Waterproofing.

07/10/2015

Whitelaw D.

Robb was very professional and took his time in helping me understand what remedy was needed for our issue. HIs price was very reasonable. The installer, Gary, was also very professional and courteous, along with allowing me to ask many questions so I fully understood what work he was performing and how it was going to eleviate my water problem. I felt very comfortable dealing with Virginia Basement and I didn't feel like they were trying to "oversell" me anything either. Gary is very knowledgeable in his line of work and I felt very comfortable knowing that what he was saying and doing was the correct way. Gary was on time each day and cleaned up everything when he was done. We just moved into this house 3 months ago and this was an unexpected, major repair that needed to get done quickly. We made the right choice with Virginia Basement with their quick response and expertise with this problem. We would highly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Installed sump pump, new perimeter drain tile, buried discharge line and 6 mil visqueen to ground in the crawlspace with drainage problems.

Category basement waterproofing, wells

04/15/2015

Travis T.

I can't speak to the quality of work performed by Virginia Basement because I am still in the process of diagnosing and shopping for contractors but I was impressed with Robb from Virginia Basement. He arrived on time and really took his time to familiarize himself with my particular issues and walked me through the solution he believed would fix it. I most appreciated the down to earth approach he took to explain things to the layman and did not get any "salesman-y" pressure tactics. The guy's high ratings should speak for themselves...

Description of Work
Provided estimate on services

01/23/2015

Shirley G.

They did a good job. They delivered on what they said they would do.

Description of Work
They waterproofed our basement.

11/12/2014

Carolynn G.

Mr. Hicks was prompt and professional. He was obviously an expert in the field and he provided multiple solutions for our basement leak. He was able to share photographs of other jobs that he had completed to expain what work needed to be done. We walked the inside and outside, we looked at areas that I was concerned about. He was more than willing to share his expert opinion and brainstorm with me. I was really grateful for his honesty. Truly, I was taken aback by it. He put me, my family, and our finacial situation first! When my husband and I are ready to complete this project, Virginia Basement is the only company that we will consider. Mr. Hicks has earned my respect and appreciation. I look forward to working with him in the future.

Description of Work
Mr. Hicks came out to the house and provided a professional assessment and estimate.

11/03/2014

Michelle J.

We very recently purchased a house with a full basement. My husband and I have never lived in a home with a basement and we were told by our home inspector to keep it dry. We called Virginia basement to make sure we were on the right path with this. Robert came out (actually showed early, good thing) and spent about an hour educating us on the ins and outs of our basement and our foundation. While we do have a few issues we need to address he never made us feel pressured even suggested that we finish unpacking and get settled before making any decision. Very pleased with Robert and look forward to working with him in the future.

Description of Work
Inspected basement and gave estimate for waterproofing

10/07/2014

Sharon C.

Robb Hicks spent about 20 minutes looking at two areas of my house with sagging floors. One area was not something he wanted to do, but he did provide an estimate for the other area, which was much simpler and less extensive. The verbal estimate was given on the spot, and then he told me I owe $35 for the estimate. When I balked at my charged because there was no prior notice, he backed off and said it isn't necessary. Within a day or so, I received his written estimate, which was several hundred dollars more than the verbal one, with no more detail. When I re-checked his website, there are several places where it is stated that inspections are free. His Angie's List site has in the Free Estimates section: "ask for details."

Description of Work
Robb Hicks, company owner, saw my project area and provided an estimate, first verbally and then written.

04/04/2014

chris D.

They're highly credible in their presentation and professional. They got all the work done in a single day and it's just amazing.

Description of Work
I used the foundation repair service of Virginia Basement.

03/21/2014

Judith G.

They are really nice and extremely thorough. Very professional. I have used them before for clients and would definitely call them again!

Description of Work
Inspected my crawlspace for moisture and mold.

02/23/2014

Jan T.

It's important to say that basement waterproofing is a long-term fix whose success can't be measured a week after installation. The work was done quickly with good cleanup. The estimator didn't try to oversell me (compared to another) and explained things well. The team did come much earlier than I had been told, without a phone call, so they had to wait in the cold for half an hour, but that was their problem, not mine. I would be happy to update the success of the work in a year if reminded.

11/16/2013

Don D.

After several phone calls and contact us by email submissions, we finally had to call several times to reach them. After talking with them we made arrangements for an appointment to look at the problem and provide a price quote. They no-showed for the appointment and never called back or responded to reschedule. Very poor communication and responsiveness.

Description of Work
Nothing.

10/18/2013

Jessica J.

My crawlspace was retaining a lot of water and moisture. I have tried different measures over several years and nothing seemed to work. I called several other companies before reaching out to Virginia Basement. Robert came out to give me an estimate and he was very professional and knowledgeable. He talked to me about what needed to be done and what would be the best solution. The workers came in a couple of weeks and were very friendly and professional as well. It was a very dirty job but they kept an upbeat attitude the entire 4 days. They removed all the debris from the crawlspace from previous contractors. Dug the trenches, repositioned the sump pump, put down new plastic, and sprayed for mold. Virginia Basement provided a great service and I would recommend them to anyone with crawlspace issues.

Description of Work
Crawlspace remediation.

05/13/2013

Meg H.

We were thoroughly impressed with his cost-effective solution. He is engineer-minded and NOT "sales minded." He truly cared more about solving the problem than making the sale. We have been through the fall, winter, and spring -- a very hot/cold/hot/cold one mind you -- and have measured the crack each season. It is a solid repair and the foundation remained stable throughout the extreme temperature and moisture changes of the past 3 seasons. Best of all, it took up no space (as opposed to installing I-beams, etc.), and we were able to paint over it so it is easy to conceal (the strips are black; we painted them white to match our concrete block basement wall). Please note -- Virginia Basement solved our problem for THOUSANDS LESS than the other 3 estimates we solicited. Please don't get ripped off by the others! Chances are you do NOT need to rebuild your foundation!

Description of Work
Virginian Basement inspected left rear wall in basement and found several cracks in the foundation wall and deflection. VIrginia Basement recommended the use of three carbon fiber wall restraints at $400 ea. These straps will keep the wall from bowing in the future and is backed with a transferable lifetime warranty. (The warranty does not cover foundation settlement. Foundation settlement would be repaired with the use of foundation piers.)

04/22/2013

John M.

I felt the guy was super-nice, very honest and upright. I would have totally gone with him if we had decided to do it. He was the only person I had come out. I was going to get some other bids just to listen to them, but I felt that that guy was great and he seemed legit and was willing to do the business for a good price and with a quick turnaround. There were no negatives. He was punctual, quick for the quote and I thought he was good.

Description of Work
I received an estimate from Virginia Basement via email.

Category wells

03/14/2013

Matt F.

I had water coming into the basement. I called them at 730 pm on a Wednesday night, left a message. Thursday morning I called again, and the guy was able to come out the same day, just a couple of hours later. He arrived a few minutes early. He promptly identified the problem-- a somewhat hard to spot leak from a hot water heater, checked out my sump pump, found it fine, advised me to call a plumber about the hot water heater, and advised me on how to dry out the large wet spot. He did not charge me. Overall he was extremely friendly, timely, and professional-- all the things you need in a water emergency. I would call them again in a heartbeat. Thanks Virginia Basement!

Description of Work
He came out to examine a water problem, and advised me on getting it fixed, as it turned out to be the hot water heater.

11/13/2012

Lisa C.

The quote was for about $9000. Their service has been really good. We decided to go with them because of their price as well as their general knowledge of everything. They were really good with answering questions.

Description of Work
We got a quote from Virginia Basement to repair our basement. They are going to put in pillars to hold up the foundation.

10/31/2012

Mike H.

The job went well. It was a crew of 2 guys that worked hard. The job really involved a lot of work as the crew had to break up the foundation slab using jack-hammers to lay the new drainage system, trench and lay gravel for the new system, install the new drainage channels and install the vapor barrier up the concrete walls. Plus they installed the 2 new sump pumps and put down concrete over the new system. They also pulled out an old sump pump and concreted that area, plus they pulled some old cast iron pipe out that was in the slab where the new drainage system was going and this old pipe was no longer is use. The owner came by several times to check on things and also came by for a final walk through. I asked the owner and the 2 guys that work for him lots of questions and they were always friendly and answered my questions. Now when it rains, even for a few days in a row, its absolutely dry in the basement and there is no longer a humidity problem in the house. When I am ready to finish the rest of my basement in the future, I can feel confident that I can build out the basement without any concern over water entering the basement or humidity problems.

Description of Work
I had the unfinished part of my basement and my attached garage waterproofed on the walls that are concrete cinder block and below grade. This is probably about 2/3's of my total basement and 2 walls in my garage. These walls used to leak water near the slab when there are heavy rains. The waterproofing involved installing a drainage system around the foundation on the inside wall under the existing slab for the portion which is below grade and also installing a vapor barrier on the cinderblock walls in the same area. The vapor barrier which was installed on the cinder block walls, seals out moisture and directs any water down to the new drainage system. This new drainage system leads back to a dual sump pump system that pumps water out to an outlet in the back yard. The sump pump system has 2 pumps, a primary pump and a backup pump that runs off a large battery backup. Finally, a new high capacity de-humidifier was delivered and installed as part of the whole package.

10/07/2012

Frank A.

It was a success. I am pleased with the job and would recommend this company.

Description of Work
Water-proofed basement and installed sumps,de-humidifier, water barriers and french drain system.

07/19/2012

Barbara W.

I called him up and since I lived 3 hours away, he gave me an over the phone quote. He asked very detailed questions to make sure carbon fiber straps were the way to go. Then he made an appointment for two weeks later. It took about 3 hours from the time they got there. He cleaned up the mess, including the accidental epoxy spill by his co-worker. I'd absolutely hire him again if my next house has a caving basement wall.

Description of Work
He gave me an over the phone quote. He was honest, nice, and not creepy, unlike the other basement guy. He put some carbon fiber straps on the basement wall. He cleaned up after himself and left no mess. It's only been a few months, but the basement wall hasn't caved in any more. I'd be interested to see how it is a few years from now.

JES Foundation Repair

JES Foundation Repair, founded in 1993, is a subsidiary of Groundworks: a family of companies that provides engineered solutions for foundation repair, underpinning, crawl space encapsulation and moisture management, concrete lifting and leveling services, and basement waterproofing. The JES brand has grown to become a professional team of over 450 repair experts providing over 70,000 engineered solutions for residential and commercial properties across Virginia, Maryland and beyond. They currently maintain offices in Appomattox, Baltimore, Chester, Manassas, Roanoke, and Virginia Beach. JES is a recognized accredited member of the Better Business Bureau and devotes its years of experience, industry knowledge and specialized training to help customers protect their homes and commercial buildings from water damage, concrete sinking, and foundation failure.

Offers by JES Foundation Repair on Angi
    Pillar to Post Home Inspectors

Your Pillar To Post™ inspector will examine all structures and major systems of a home. They will identify important factors for you to consider as you make your home ownership decision. Your home inspector is always happy to answer any questions you have during the inspection. Pillar To Post™ offers three exclusive Home Inspection Packages that allow you to select the range of services you prefer. Your report is available upon the completion of your inspection, so there’s no waiting for results. You’ll also have online access to your report anytime.

VANCE INSULATION INC

Vance Insulation is a local family owned and operated business in central Virginia that has been around since 1960. Our installers have over 30 years of experience on average and are trained and certified in Building Science Principals through the Building Performance Institute Inc. We offer common sense solutions for making your home more energy efficient. We are also certified in Environmental Mold Remediation, and are certified in Crawl Space Moisture Control/Management. We provide many insulation upgrades to residential homes including fiberglass, cellulose, and Closed Cell Foam. Jeff and Robbie Vance, with over 25 years of experience, will help you find the best solutions for your home at an affordable price.

Check, Visa, MasterCard

Basement waterproofing, humidity control systems, sump systems, air quality control systems, pumping systems & foundation repair.