J Reynolds Landscaping

Founded 2001 • With Angi since December 2010

J Reynolds Landscaping was created to provide the Northern Virginia area with the highest quality installation of landscaping materials possible. The Owner, Matt Meyer along with Jason Reynolds, has been installing custom designs right here in the northern Virginia area for over 18 years. With a reputation for excellence, the highest quality customer service, master craftsmanship and fair pricing. A design expert will come to your home and provide you with a free consultation and estimate for your homes unique needs. J Reynolds Landscaping will then provide you with the professional installation of the materials that you have chosen for your home. We differ from other Landscaping companies because we: - Never sub-contract any portion of the job. - A design expert is physically on every job site. - Your job is completed before any other job has been started. - We have no day laborers. - We are licensed and insured. - Estimates are always free. - All installers have at least 3 years of experience....

Pavers

+13 more images

lawn & landscaping (86)drain pipe installation (38)hardscaping (28)stone & gravel (19)mulch delivering (12)landscape lighting (8)lawn care (8)Patios (6)basement waterproofing (4)masonry (4)concrete repair (4)plumbers (9)

08/08/2020

john M.

I spent about a year soliciting quotes for what I wanted in the back patio, I chose Matt because he was very professional, polite and knowledgable. He produced a CAD drawing that represented everything I was trying to accomplish, which was very helpful in obtaining the HOA approval before I started. All through this process he took the time to answer questions, and was exceptionally helpful in choosing the type of brick I wanted to use. I was coordinating the patio with an HVAC replacement that would happen at the same time, and Matt's team accommodated the HVAC crew so I would not have to go without a/c for more than an evening. The finished product was exactly what I wanted, the wait was worth it to find a company like J Reynolds who could turn the idea into a realty. After the two large storms, absolutely no standing water on the patio, which was a major consideration of the drainage design. Highest recommendation for J Reynolds, I will be using them to design and build in the front of the house next year.

Description of Work
Irrigation and Patio installation

Category decks, irrigation systems, masonry, basement waterproofing, drain pipe

Work Completed On 05/13/2020

Review for J Reynolds Landscaping - 5213 11th St S, Arlington, VA - 38789007

06/11/2020

Clay R.

It did not go at all, the company never responded to the request for quote.

Description of Work
Rear stoop/step installation

Category basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 06/11/2020

[Member Name Removed], I apologize but I had thought I called you to set up and time but never got an answer. You mentioned doing a stoop with steps in your message. I would be happy to set up a time with you if you are still interested. If so, please call me at 571-424-0842. Thanks Matt

03/18/2020

Don F.

100% endorse and recommend Matt and his crew for any landscaping job. We were thorough and called 6 landscapers (5 came out, only 3 submitted bids and this was during their slow time in December!) Matt's bid was in the middle but he provided a detailed drawing with plant names after we walked around our property. We also had him build a structure for a garden that turned out to be bigger and better than he even proposed. He is quite a good carpenter as well as super knowledgeable about the best plants that would give us color most of the year. We had a goal of lower maintenance and smaller plants while keeping two trees as anchors - he listened to us and gave us helpful advice to make it all work. We even met him at Merrifield Garden Center where he showed us exactly what was in the diagrams and we made small modifications to it. None of this phased Matt - he is the most easy-going contractor I have ever run across. He even fixed our screen door handle and latch which he picked up at Home Depot while he was there. Fantastic to work with, fair pricing, knowledgeable and helpful. They were in and out in less than 3 days and just did a great job - all our neighbors are envious.

Description of Work
Demo of old landscaping, new shrubs put in with mulch and a garden structure designed and built.

Category landscaping, mulch

Work Completed On 03/18/2020

11/05/2018

Patrick A.

J. Reynolds did a fantastic job from start to finish. They professionally diagnosed the problem, proposed a good solution and executed it flawlessly within the promised time. Matt and his team were hard working, polite, and took great pains to leave no mess behind. I was very impressed with their work and highly recommend them for drainage, hardscaping and landscape work.

Description of Work
Drainage project

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, pavers, gravel, drain pipe

Work Completed On 11/01/2018

Review for J Reynolds Landscaping - 5213 11th St S, Arlington, VA - 37531822

06/03/2018

Patrick M.

Quality was excellent and price was fair. Responsiveness and communication could have been better.

Description of Work
Garden path with field stones and short dry stack stone wall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/03/2018

04/11/2018

David B.

The work was excellent, special finishing touches were added to really make the driveway extension and paths look great and the patio extension was just what we wanted. We're definitely going to hire again! (Just a little late on the review ... ;-)

Description of Work
extending driveway, extending brick patio and extending gravel path to square off and match driveway

Category decks, landscaping, pavers, gravel, patios

Work Completed On 11/16/2017

07/20/2017

James M.

Matt and his team were great! Matt was very accommodating and even met with us on a Saturday to go over the project before starting. Just to be sure everyone was on the same page as to the patio. Matt worked and stayed on site while most of the work was being done. Matt's staff were also very nice and thoughtful. I really like that Matt is the owner and he is also responsible for the work being done. I felt that communication with Matt was excellent, either via phone, text or email. Matt and his team did a great job and I was very comfortable while the work was being completed that there was not going to be any surprises (prior bad experiences with other contractors). Matt and his team worked independently to complete a high quality project. Will definitely use them again. Already waiting for an estimate for some additional work. I also think his pricing was on the side of reasonable. Often, when I try to get estimates for work the estimates are all over the place which is frustrating, but Matt's pricing was reasonable and I felt comfortable working with him and his team. Matt was very responsive and had great communication.

Description of Work
We were looking for someone to build a 400+ square foot patio and fire pit with a solider row. We had engineered drawings showing the size and location. The patio was to be constructed mostly with a curved border and with the curves having a specific radius. With all the curves blending smoothly into each other. I was looking for a professional team with low overhead (no ridiculous pricing). Some previous bad experiences with contractors had left me skeptical. I specifically wanted a company that could operate independently. I was tired of having to take off work and babysit contractors.

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 07/20/2017

Review for J Reynolds Landscaping - 5213 11th St S, Arlington, VA - 35867822

06/02/2017

Arminda N.

Came out for a free estimate, friendly and responsive. Suggested the problem was a faulty blocked gutter, rather than a standing water problem. Would hire for another job, as needed -- appreciated the honesty and open minded appraisal of the issue.

Description of Work
Discussion of drainage and grade concerns with new house.

Work Completed On 05/19/2017

05/14/2017

Vikas L.

Excellent all around service from beginning to end. Matt called me while he was on vacation to return my initial call, and rather than wait to get back in town to get my plat and pictures of the current situation, he asked me to email them to him so to be able to hit the ground running. The walkway took a week, and the end product was solid. He provided good advice as we picked out the stone and border, as well as talking about landscaping options. He integrated built in lights to the steps, as well as providing lighting for the house. For a change this was a very pleasant experience. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
New flagstone walkway, house lighting, and mulch

Category concrete repair, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/14/2017

Review for J Reynolds Landscaping - 5213 11th St S, Arlington, VA - 35032109

12/17/2016

Robert S.

Excellent! Their crew came in, took care of business, and completed the job in less than one day. The system is working well, and the load on our sump pump is greatly reduced.

Description of Work
We needed a drainage solution to channel water away from the house. Downspouts drained directly to the surface of the yard, but flowed back toward the house. J. Reynolds team installed drain piping to run the downspout water away from the house, directing it toward the storm drain. They also installed a small French drain in one location.

Category landscaping, drain pipe

Work Completed On 10/07/2016

07/31/2016

Anish R.

Matt picked up the phone on my first call, was very cordial and we scheduled an estimate. He came out, and again was very nice and took all the measurements and came across as honest. He just came from a job and was fairly filthy, but indicated to me, that he was very involved in the work. Told us it would take a week for an estimate, thought that was a bit odd, but went with it. He requested we send him pics of our ideas and I did immediately. Received no response on whether he received anything. Never received a quote at a week out. So I called him, he picked up, said he was backed up and was getting to all his quotes this week (now we are more than 18 days since he visited) and I am writing this because we received zero follow up and no quote....so my only advice is Buyer Beware and I certainly wont be entertaining any from this contractor.

Description of Work
Based on reviews on this list, called them for an estimate on what i considered an elaborate patio build with fire pit and water feature.

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/13/2016

06/30/2016

Rahul M.

The customer service was fantastic and the end result of the work was better than I could of hoped. My neighbors are still complimenting us the landscape work that was done.

Description of Work
Remove old lighting and install new lighting. Landscaping and hardscaping fronrt and back of townhome.

Category landscaping, lawn service, masonry, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 09/05/2015

04/14/2016

Philip C.

Went well. Sales guy was easy to work with and honest. Drain is working well ~1 year later. Took care of drainage issues on side I'd use them again if something came up. They under-promised and over-delivered on time frame to complete project- which is always appreciated :-)

Description of Work
French Drain, downspout extension and stacked stone garden edging.

Category landscaping, lawn service, plumbing, pavers, gravel, drain pipe

Work Completed On 07/30/2015

03/26/2016

William A.

Bottom line: J Reynolds Landscaping did a superior job of resolving a major drainage problem in my front and side yards, and additionally created an outstanding appearance to the front of our house! Let me start out with my overall impression ? extremely positive, a great company to deal with, outstanding quality of work, and yes, I would DEFINITELY recommend them and would definitely use them again. Not only did they do a great and very professional job, but they also dealt with a change in the conditions of the drainage from the neighbor?s property which took place after their initial proposal was written and approved, and they dealt with this change without any increase in cost. But most importantly, they know their business and do it well ? they took our front yard from a veritable swamp following even moderate rains to a very good looking area which drains well. They get a vote of outstanding from us. Working with their designer Matt was easy as he understood our requirements and our desires, and came up with a great design. Further, when it came time for the installation, Matt was there leading the team, so there were not issues associated with the team not understanding the design - we could not have asked for a better job! In terms of cost, they were not the cheapest, and were not the most expensive. They provided a very reasonable set of recommendations, at a good cost. We added some new requirements (actually suggestions from other proposals), and they added these at very reasonable costs. There were lower costs, but the proposals were not nearly as complete and it was not clear that these others would have actually met our requirements. Overall, they were well worth the cost we paid for the work! For that reason I gave them an A for cost even though they were not the cheapest bidder. Were there any issues? Virtually none. One VERY minor issue was the fact that their attempt to re-use some existing bedding plants was not successful and did not look good. However, they quickly recognized the issue themselves and returned the next day with new flats of bedding plants, which are thriving and look great. It is this type of responsiveness to even minor issues which demonstrates their professionalism and would lead me to have them do similar work in the future! How does the whole job look? Outstanding! We?ve received a number of complements, including even from realtors, regarding how good the sidewalk, French drain, and raised flower bed look. And while that is great, the really outstanding fact is how well it works. As indicated above, our front and side yards were swamps following even moderate rains, and stayed that way sometimes for days. Look at some of the photos of flooded sidewalk and front yard. Then look at some photos of the new walkway even after a storm. After a very heavy rain, there will be water on the sidewalk for a very few (as is less than 5) minutes, and it rapidly drains down to the drainage system and off to the back of the property. Then, rather than the whole yard remaining a swamp for days, it dries up in a very reasonable period. Even after our 29 inches of snow this winter, as the snow melted the water drained off as it melted, rather than creating a swamp in our front yard and on our walkway which then refroze at night creating a mess and a real hazard for walking! Look at the Old Walkway Snowmelt photo which shows the real problems we had ? a photo of the new walkway during the period of snowmelt would show just the snow with no standing water. This is exactly what we needed, and exactly what J Reynolds Landscaping?s outstanding design and installation achieved. I have other similar work I may have performed in other parts of my property, and if I do I will almost certainly use J. Reynolds Landscaping. Whether I ask for multiple bids would remain to be seen, but given their cost, and their performance, on this effort, I might go right to them for my first and possibly only bid. No matter what I would definitely include them on my very shortest list of landscapers to work with and without hesitation I would recommend them to friends, family, and Angie?s List members!

Description of Work
Removed raised stone flower bed and rebuilt with dry stacked flagstone. Installed a flagstone walkway the full length of the driveway, along the side of the raised flower bed, leading to the front door. Also installed a small sitting area at the front of the house. Built an 80’ long French drain system along the walkway, the front of the house, and the side of the house, feeding drainage water to the hill at the back of the property. Extended several downspouts and fed them to the back of the property. Installed a small French drain receiving drainage from the neighbor’s property and fed this to the back of the property. Regraded portions of the front yard, reseeded these areas, and put down a bed of mulch in other appropriate areas.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, mulch, plumbing, pavers, gravel, snow removal, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/10/2015

Review for J Reynolds Landscaping - 5213 11th St S, Arlington, VA - 31285325

12/04/2015

Jessica I.

Cleared weeds but did not remove roots - weeds came back in one week. Plus, it is very high maitenance for us to weed the "beds" and we specifically asked for a low maintenance yard. Also, landscaper did not remove small trees by roots so some came back. French drain still looks good several months later. Stepping stones look okay (not as big or nice as I thought they would be, but still acceptable). Most bushes died within three weeks despite us following all directions. Landscaper did not replace. I think the bushes and other plants (grass) that died did so because landscaper left them in our driveway for several days before actually planting them and I think they just dried out. The mulch "beds" are not particularly nice and, like I said above, were covered with weeds in one week.

Description of Work
Cleared weeds and small trees. Installed french drain. Added a few stepping stones. Planted bushes and some ground cover. Created "beds" with mulch.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch, plumbing, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe

Work Completed On 07/29/2015

09/28/2015

Sam M.

Matt did a great job not only for creating a nice driveway but also some extra work without any extra charge. He came back after couple of weeks and took care of some small issues we had thereafter. He is very patient,cooperative, responsible,on time and very skilled.

Description of Work
I t was an extended driveway 33' by 35' with layered compacted gravel and placing timber around.

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/25/2015

07/07/2015

Cecile B.

We needed a last minute estimate related to a Home Inspection, to determine if we were going to put an offer on a home. Matt came out on short notice, and provided a detailed estimate in 2 days, to assist us in meeting the deadline to respond to the Home Inspection contingency. Matt was thoughtful and considerate. Seemed like a very honest stand up guy. Although we have not yet had the work done, our initial interaction was fantastic!

Description of Work
Provided Estimate for work to be done

Work Completed On 06/05/2015

06/25/2015

Lydia H.

Crew was good. They came on time. When we ran into a problem with the sod looking bad they removed it and layed down a new batch.very pleasant group to work with. The yard looks great.

Description of Work
Removed old grass and added a layer of topsoil. Then put down some sod for us. Also, put in a French drain and planted a tree for us.

Category landscaping, mulch, tree service, drain pipe

Work Completed On 03/01/2014

02/03/2015

Glen S.

The guys were great. Everything seems to be in working order. I thought they were good. They were timely and effective. They made sure everything functioned and left a clean workspace. My interaction with them was very positive.

Description of Work
They put in a drain system.

Category drain pipe

Work Completed On 10/01/2014

12/29/2014

jane Q.

He was very professional and gave a detailed analysis of the job

Description of Work
He was very prompt and came to do an estimate on some work that I need done.

Work Completed On 10/02/2014

12/23/2014

Kelly J.

I think he was really nice and professional and would love to work with them. The cost was a bit high for me but I also had thought the Angie's List $99 deal was more for a design plan complete with drawings and not just a wrritten estimate. I should have called back to discuss but I got busy with other things at that time of year and let it pass. Otherwise, I would recommend.

Description of Work
They came out to provide an estimate on my front and backyard landscaping.

Work Completed On 04/14/2014

I would be happy to come back out and rediscuss your issues and if you like, I will be happy to provide you with more detail and talk with you on the costs.

11/21/2014

Adam B.

I contacted several companies. Many were slow to get back to me. They didn't get back to me right away, but they were the first and were reasonably responsive from there. They came to the house for an estimate and we agreed on the work to be done. They completed it when they promised. They installed a french drain, did other drainage work and an extension to our driveway. The wok looks great.

Description of Work
Draining work, drive way

Category landscaping, plumbing, drain pipe

Work Completed On 11/11/2014