Arlington Home Service

Founded 2007 • With Angi since February 2008

PO Box 5682

Arlington, VA 22205

We are a locally owned and operated,Design\Build Firm, that is focused on providing quality workmanship and excellent customer care. We run various pricing specials throughout the year, Please give us a call or send us an email with any questions... We look forward to hearing from you!...

11/18/2016

marion G.

Superbly well! Chris and his team did fantastic work. When Chris brought his team over, he personally came and introduced them. There were 2 teams -- the ones that pulled out the old tiling and the one that installed the new tile. Both did fabulous work and when they left the job in the evening, the work area was spotless. The final product was amazing. I would highly recommend Arlington Home Services and will definitely rehire them for future work in my home. Chris is the company owner and he kept his finger on the pulse of the work, checking frequently to make sure everything was going well and that I was satisfied with the work that was being done. Chris and his team were great to work with, they were professional, efficient, courteous, friendly, and highly skilled.

Description of Work
Retile small bathroom shower

Category handyman service, home remodeling

08/09/2016

Gilah G.

Workmen came at scheduled time and did the work quickly and to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
Remove old toilet and gas range.

06/17/2015

Brian T.

The guys at Arlington Home Service came highly recommended to me. Chris was extremely professional and responsive. I felt as though he really knew his stuff and communicated extremely well on things technical and in setting expectations for what the project would entail. I did not end up using Arlington Home Service, but I would put my project in their hands. I know people who have used them and were very happy with them. I would use them in the future for a job. I was already on the path with a different contractor and they also came highly recommended from friends, the job turned out great, so it all worked out.

Description of Work
I asked for a detailed estimate on a first floor renovation mainly consisting of a full kitchen gut job, removal of a door in a block exterior wall and removal of two interior walls. I received a wonderfully detailed estimate on all of the line items I was hoping for. This job included extensive plumbing, electrical and structural work as well as finishing work. It was a big job.

Category handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

05/08/2015

Matt S.

Everything they have done for me has been wonderful. They were very punctual and professional. They always took the time to answer any questions and made sure that each job they did for me was treated importantly. I wish I could have taken them to Atlanta to where I moved because they were that good.

Description of Work
They have remodeled a condo and done various other projects for me.

Category remodeling

10/29/2014

Lauren R.

It went super well. The closet is huge and open. Chris and his team were even able to put in a light bar along the edge so now there is a switch outside the door. It makes getting dressed in the morning so easy. I love our new closet.

Description of Work
He renovated our closets. Originally our closet was very long, but only had to small opening on either end, with the middle of the middle of the closet behind a wall. So to get to the majority of the closet space you had to dig around behind this wall with no light. So we asked for this wall to be decreased to about six inches, and keep two sets of narrow french style doors instead. They also installed an elfa system that we bought from the container store for $800. (Not included in the cost of service, we bought this on our own).

Category closet systems, electrician, handyman service, lighting, doors

10/20/2014

James H.

Chris Lamar provided an estimate for the work on 9-4. We asked Chris to go ahead with the work on 9-8. On 9-16 Chris told us there would be a delay in beginning the work due to problems with another project. On 9-27 Chris provided word that the work would begin in the week of 10-6.The work started on 10-8. The carpenter arrived promptly each day and worked diligently to meet our specifications. Since the job required movement of an electrical outlet and installation of a top and bottom door, four and one-half days were necessary for completion. Chris reviewed the work on 10-15. We were very satisfied with the work performed.

Description of Work
Built closet in bedroom with four shelves and two doors.

Category contractors, closet systems, electrician, handyman service, woodworking, doors

10/15/2014

Brent J.

Starting with the initial consultation and scoping of the job we were extremely pleased with Chris and his team at Arlington Home Service. Chris provided great guidance around not only areas we could save money and make our layout plans more functional, but he also had a very strong sense of design and style which was extremely helpful. We very much appreciated the clear and concise dialog we had with Chris and his team from start to finish of the project. From a timing perspective, as soon as we settled on things Chris put his team into action and were always there when he said they would be. They finished on time and on budget! We were very pleased with the workmanship and attention to detail. We highly recommend Arlington Home Service!

Description of Work
Remodeling - Kitchen

Category home remodeling

10/15/2014

Barbara C L.

They were reasonable and they're dependable. Everybody who came into the house were all nice people. What stands out is their good workmanship and reliability. They're reasonable, responsible and reliable.

Description of Work
They've done several things. They've helped me fix shelves in a kitchen cabinet. They replaced the back door. They also re-stained the front deck.

Category handyman service, deck cleaning

08/04/2014

Sherrice Kerns / W.

Chris was very accessible and when I called, he always answered. The work that was done did not exceed the quote he provided me beforehand. He was very forthcoming and conscientious in getting the work done. It was a great expereince for me.

Description of Work
He repaired a cabinet that was falling out of the wall. He provided bracing and extra support so we could install a hanging microwave.

Category custom cabinets, woodworking

05/21/2014

Katie S.

One evening we found out that we had an interior water leak due to a broken ice-maker. There was damage to the kitchen floor as well as the basement ceiling/walls. We were worried about structural issues and mold so Chris stopped by the next day or so to take a look and put our minds at ease. Since there weren't any major issues, we scheduled a day a few weeks out for his guy Josh to take care of the drywall and painting. As usual, Josh & Chris arrived on time and looked over the job before Josh went to buy the supplies. Due to the fact that the drywall/spackle/paint had to dry, it was a 2 day job but Josh cleaned up the area very well at the end of each day. While he was there, I had Chris look at some loose chimney bricks. He said it was something they could handle and sent Dan over after it stopped raining to re-set the bricks with new mortar. Overall, the work was done very well and it's nice to know that these guys can handle any projects that I can't. I will definitely hire them again!!!

Description of Work
Repaired ceiling and drywall damaged by water leak. Repaired bricks on exterior chimney.

Category drywall, handyman service, masonry, chimney repair

04/25/2014

Paul B.

I had previously dealt with Chris and his Arlington Home for some general repairs before he moved up to doing remodeling/renovations. Was impressed with him, and decided to go with him for large major remodeling of kitchen and 3 and half baths. Chris and his right arm, Dan Covey are excellent to outstanding. I do not say this lightly. They work with you to plan and implement design down to the last detail. Dan Covey does the work and is a meticulous craftsman in all that he does. His workmanship is awesome, and he manages sub contractors (granite/sink/cabinet/glass installers) to insure quality of installations. Chris and Dan put quality and customer satisfaction at the top of their list in all that they do. Key to this particular contract was the inclusion of Dan's new wife Sandra as designer. Sandra Covey is just finishing her bachelor's degree as a designer. She is excellent and handled every aspect of selecting everything from cabinet handles, style of sinks, faucets, tiles, fixtures, painting scheme/colors, textures, lighting, on and on. She is a very polished young lady with terrific interpersonal skills who is not afraid to guide one through the design process with aplomb. She goes with you to all the various suppliers and handles all ordering of everything including using the internet to insure best prices even on high end hardware, tile, sinks, etc. She programs deliveries to correspond with installation needs and schedule. She knows where to shop. Most important, she really is an excellent designer. Excellent. Her design fees are also very low and reasonable. Get her now before she starts rapidly moving up as she has signed on as designer with Restoration Hardware. The only complaint I have is that the total job took about six weeks longer than promised. However, given Dan's precision pace, I was patient as I liked the quality over all else of the work being done. Chris occasionally over extended himself as new startup getting new business, but he reduced his billing by a substantial amount to make up for several delays and inconvenience . In sum, I would highly recommend Arlington Home and Chris and Dan for any remodeling or renovation project, big or small.

Description of Work
Remodel of Kitchen, master bath, guest room bath, second bedroom small bath, and half bath.

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling

02/18/2014

Annette R.

Several other handymen firms had looked at doing the work but declined or never responded. The owner of Arlington Home Service came reasonably promptly and gave us an estimate. Then it was 7 weeks before they got back to us to do the work. The carpenter pointed out that a different location would work better for the steps due to the slope of the roof. While doing the work, they had to relocate some of the wiring in the attic which made the job take almost 6 hours longer than planned and increased the cost. They finished the opening nicely and painted it (our paint) to match. The carpentry work was excellent and the steps are steady, and the wiring is more like current code than before too.

Description of Work
We wanted pull-down steps to our attic, cutting an opening in the ceiling upstairs.

10/17/2013

David C.

We were extremely happy with the entire project. Chris was timely with this estimate. We recieved three different bids and AHS was in the middle. He gave us a place to purchase all fixtures, tiles, etc. The guys doing the work were always on time, efficient, and did superb work. Dan really knew his stuff when it came to tiling and completed the design we created, but added his imput which made it evern better. Josh handled much of the prep work and painting which finished things nicely. They worked together very well and were polite and answered all questions. My wife loved it because everyday they cleaned the mess so our house was not a complete work zone. They came back and finished the punch list and all turned out very nice. Based on our experience, we will use them for all projects in the future.

Description of Work
Gut, take away the rubble. Renovate full bathroom: paint, tile (walls and floor, new plumbing, medicine cabinet, lighting, new shower rod, strip and clear coat the radiator.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

10/15/2013

Katie S.

Met with Chris initially to get the estimate/proposal. He explained that for some of the electrical work, they wouldn't know if new wiring was required until they actually started the job but they would do whatever they could to minimize impact and stay within budget. On the day the work started, Chris and Dan stopped by to review everything with me before they bought the materials. (which makes more sense than having them guess at what they need for each job and then showing up with incorrect materials) The fans, switches and screening were installed very well and blended in with existing finish/paint. Chris also explained that over time, bathroom fans will need to be replaced due to humidity issues but their installation approach will make that job easier/cheaper in the long run. A few days after the job was complete, Chris came back to adjust the thermostat on the fan and offered to do it again if needed. We have used Chris and his team at least 5 times over the past few years for all sorts of tasks both indoors and outdoors. They are very easy to work with and do a great job! I will definitely call them again!

Description of Work
Installed an attic vent fan and multiple bathroom exhaust fans (including wiring as needed). Also installed screening over attic soffit vents.

10/14/2013

James S.

Do not contact this company unless you months to wait for them to do the work. They seem to be too busy to start a job on my patio that I have been waiting since July. I indicated that I would like to have the work done and then consider them for for a full renovation of my kitchen and bathroom. Started communicating with them in July, received a quote in Aug, and they keep saying that their current jobs are going over schedule. My project was quoted at just over $1000 so I must have been considered low priority. Still waiting on them and considering looking for another vendor at this point. Update: The work is now complete and I am satisfied with the workmanship. In the future I would get more quotes from other carpenters or maybe purchase a deal for a carpenter for a couple hours and buy the materials myself in order to save money. I wanted the work completed so I paid a higher price for the project. I would have also got a quote for my kitchen and bathroom, but they have work that would put me on the schedule for the Spring of next year.

Description of Work
Wanted a patio covering, but must have been too small of a job and was low priority for this vendor. Was also hoping to get my kitchen and bath renovated, but do not want to wait for months to get the work started now. Update: Chris contacted me immediately when I posted this on Angie's list and offered to complete the work within the week of my posting. The project required 6-7 sheets of corrugated plastic installed on an existing wood structure and a gutter system that was about 15 feet in length. His prices were kind of high for the cost of materials and time required for the project and he did come down a little to $1100, which was still kind of high, but I wanted this completed before winter. Overall the quality of the project was very good and I am happy to now have the patio covering to shield me from the rain.

Category contractors, gutter repair, handyman service

09/25/2013

Ellen H.

I will most definitely use Arlington Home Service again! Chris came to see the work I needed and give me an estimate and he had so many good ideas on how to save money (paint the vanity instead of replacing it) and explaining things in such detail, that I was able to do even more than I had hoped. A few things came up where my building's specs didn't work with what I had bought or whatever - and Chris and his team had solutions for me every step of the way! From multiple trips to Home Depot, offering suggestions, collaborating iwith me on deas, excellent work to just being unbelievably friendly people - they actually found a way to make this process enjoyable! The bid was was very realistic and I think the price was excellent! I would trust them in my home without having to be there anytime. Dan, Josh and Chris - all of them are wonderful guys and have innovative ideas and really care about tthings being done correctly. I will most definitely use them again and can't recommend them highly enough.

Description of Work
Painting, shower door install, hung medicine cabinets, lights, new tile flooring.

Category handyman service, home remodeling, interior painters

08/08/2013

Shine T.

Chris was professional and responsive about getting back to me. The stairs that he built were great. I would definitely use him again for handy work.

Description of Work
Demolition and build a set of stairs

Category handyman service, remodeling

07/08/2013

gregorio H.

They made a couple if trips to the hardware store until they found the right screws and shelving for my closet. They were patient and did an excellent job.

Description of Work
Repaired closet in master bedroom.

Category closet systems, handyman service

06/27/2013

Charlotte M S.

We were pleased with the outcome of the work. Chris came and gave the estimate, but Dan completed the project. He was a very efficient worker and did the entire job by himself. Day one he ripped out the areas with the wood rot. He replaced the side rails, posts core and base wrap around. He replaced the façade pieces. He went to Home Depot to get the correct shade of paint making sure there was correct match between the new and the weathered areas that did not need repainting. He returned to apply a second coat to complete the job. His skill at caulking a third floor window was amazing. We have received compliments about the work from our neighbors.

Description of Work
Remove rotted wood and paint front portico; caulk and seal top floor window.

Category contractors, handyman service, replacement windows, house painters

06/10/2013

Katie S.

Chris and Dan showed up right on time and we walked through everything that was to be done. They are very easy to work with and told me how they would go about installing the fans. I felt very comfortable leaving them at the house when I'm not home to complete the work. They finished the job in one day (i.e. ahead of schedule) and did a great job on the finishing touches and clean up. This was the 4th or 5th time I've had Arlington Home Service do work at one of my homes and I will definitely use them in the future. One of the things I really respect about Chris is that he will admit if his crew isn't the best ones for a job. For example, I had some plumbing issues and he gave me the number of the plumbing contractor he uses and told me to call them directly rather than having to go through him. Once again, A+ service!

Description of Work
Replaced 1 bathroom exhaust fan and installed new exhaust fan in 2nd bathroom. Installed attic exhaust fan.

Category home remodeling

03/06/2013

Amanda B.

This is the second time we've hired Chris, and again we were not disappointed. Although a bit expensive, you truly get high quality work. Our bathroom came out beautiful, and they were able to save the tub and floor as requested. Chris works with you from the start to make sure he understands exactly what you want. He then continues to check in during the whole process to make sure we were happy. His team--mainly Dan--does very professional work, and the tile installation is perfect. Throughout the entire process--which took a bit longer than we anticipated--they made sure at the end of the day all the mess was cleaned up as best as possible, and reinstalled our old toilet since we only have one bathroom. i also like that Chris doesn't expect the remaining 2/3 payment until you are totally satisfied--even if it is for small minor stuff. We really can't be more please with the outcome!

Description of Work
We hired Chris and his team to do a complete bathroom renovation. We had him remove the old, 1940s tile, sink, toilet, and medicine cabinet. We then had them replace with stone tile in the entire bathtub and shower area, as well as up to 3' around the rest of the room. Because it was stone, the tile and the grout had to be sealed along the way. He also "sank" all the old, exposed piping into the wall to make for a cleaner appearance. All new sink, toilet, and cabinet installed, and then painting. We did not have them remove the old tub or flooring, since we wanted to cut some costs. This required them to be careful when removing the old tile that came in contact with these items in order to avoid damaging the pieces.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, home remodeling

01/29/2013

KATHLEEN O.

Arlington Home Service was wonderful, we had a great experience. We got an estimate right away from Chris who was friendly and professional. The repair work was done quickly and well. Great customer service and we were very happy with their services and prices.

Description of Work
Deck repair

Category decks, handyman service

01/19/2013

Andrew A.

Excellent. No issues and great price.

Description of Work
General Handy Man work.

01/16/2013

Peggy F.

My car rolled into the frame of the door surrounding my garage, and while my car was OK, the frame of my garage bowed enough to make opening the garage door almost impossible. I was figuring the repair would be expensive and time consuming. Arlington Home Services came over, provided an estimate way below what I was expecting, and did the repair in about 3 hours - without even taking my garage door off! It looks good as new, and now my garage is working better than it ever has before! The estimate process was quick and easy, and everyone in the company was professional and awesome from the first time we contacted them. Fast email response times, project meeting the estimate, and friendly, professional service. I couldn't believe contractors can actually be like this! This is a top-notch company, and I will definitely be using them again!

Description of Work
Replaced the side frame of my garage door.

Category handyman service, woodworking

01/14/2013

Glenn F.

They were extremely meticulous, on time and are great craftsmen; our bathroom turned out amazing. They are knowledgeable and their price is certainly in line with their quality. They are really great guys.

Description of Work
I used Arlington Home Service to redo a bathroom as well as some general handiwork that we needed on another property.