Adirondack Fence Builders

Founded 2000 • With Angi since September 2008

7312 Byrneley Lane

Annandale, VA 22003

Angie's List - SUPER SERVICE AWARD WINNER - EACH YEAR SINCE 2010!!! Northern Virginia fence company devoted to their customer's satisfaction. Using only company employees, not sub-contractors. We offer all types of wood as well as chain link, aluminum for swimming pools, dog runs, dog parks, residential and commercial....

01/26/2019

MARILYN M.

Extremely well, even though we experienced many obstacles before we could give them the go-ahead to proceed. How I prepared: • Researched the county and HOA rules. Discovered I could get an 8’ high privacy fence in the back because our property abuts a major road. • Looked up fence laws on the county website. Found out that if a fence is built on a lot line, that both owners own half the fence and are responsible for half of the upkeep, so we wanted to be sure that our new fence was just inside our lot line. • Got property surveys. Had to call them back because they didn’t put stakes everywhere we needed • Put up tape between the surveyors’ stakes so I that could be sure the fence avoided some trees on one neighbor’s side, still staying within our lot line. Services provided by Adirondack after I accepted proposal: • Extensive e-mail exchange to identify and work through any issues that might come up on installation day. • Helped me with HOA request by providing pictures of proposed fence and gate materials, and a drawing of the proposed fence placement on the property • Worked with me during process of getting surveys, HOA approval, easement identification and avoidance, constant rain, and change in proposed fence line after surveys completed because we needed to avoid easements and large trees in the back of the property • At my request, avoided using our driveway because it was recently resurfaced • Planning around other contractors scheduled to work on the property (e.g. arborists and landscapers), and constant rainy days Day of installation at 7 a.m. Monday 11/26th: • It rained all day, but the crew worked diligently and were able to finish in 2 days. They built the fence and gates on site rather than using prefabricated panels. • Met with owner Rob, and foreman Jose to go over o EXACT fence placement (needed to be just inside property line, avoiding as few trees as possible in the wooded area in the back, and working with a large stump and the neighbor’s fence along one of the sides) o Went over every utility marking and compared it to photos I had taken when they were first marked. Rain had made them harder to see, but we located them and the crew was able to avoid the utilities. o Gate placement o Whether supporting parallel boards needed to go inside or outside the vertical boards. This was important because of HOA rules. o During the process, the foreman was putting up tape to mark the fence line. • During installation o Foreman Jose asked me again about some of the fence placement, and which side I wanted the vertical boards on. Glad I was home to remind him of what I wanted. o They were patient when I went out to inspect several times, and after they had finished. Caveat • I rated the price as an “A” but I selected Adirondack from reading reviews online rather than get competing bids. I was time-constrained, and because of delays not the fault of Adirondack, we barely got the fence put in before the weather became cold. It is important to me to have workers who are employees of the companies I hire, and are protected if they get injured. The price I paid was fair to me, especially as I watched them work in cold pouring rain, sitting on top of an 8’ fence, hammering.

Description of Work
Fence Building. 128' of 8' tall solid board fence across the rear line of your property with one gate using pressure treated pine vertical boards 1x6's and 4x4 posts set in concrete for fencing as well as 6x6 posts set in concrete for gate. (gate hardware included). Also, approximately 231' of 4' tall 3 rail split rail fence with black 2"x 4" coated wire plus one double gate and one single gate. Posts are set in concrete and gate hardware included.

01/19/2019

Stuart S.

First I found out that price depends on the kind of wood. I chose cedar over pine or some other choices. Pine may warp. Contractor removed a rusty old chain link fence and installed a wooden fence with a gate. Work done on time according to plan.

Description of Work
A wooden privacy fence for one side of my backyard

12/11/2018

Jill T.

Excellent experience. From home office, to project manager, to workers, all were friendly and communicated well, and they were efficient, on time, and I got a beautifully crafted fence installed at a savings compared to the other estimates I got.

Description of Work
Backyard privacy fence

Category fencing

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for the compliments, you and [Member Name Removed] made our job easy.

08/17/2018

Susan S.

adirondack has not honored its commitment to provide quality wood. several boards are warped and despite saying that they would be replace, nobody has come out to do so. don't bother with adirondack. get someone reputable.

Description of Work
fence was installed january 2017. several boards are warped. have requested several times that they be replaced to no avail.

Category fencing

This is blatantly not true!! In fact Rob the owner personally replaced 3 warped boards after the client called. We have no idea what she's talking about now since she waited a year and half to write such an ugly assessment. It should be noted, we buy our pressure treated pine fence boards from the same distributor that all the other fence companies use who are in the metro area. We only built a fence for one side of her yard because the other side was already done by another local fence company. She told our estimator the reason she called us was because she didn't like anything the other company did.

06/14/2018

Christina C.

We will certainly use Adirondack for any future fence needs we have. The owner was extremely responsive and the team who came to install the fence was wonderful. The final product is beautiful and we are very happy!

Description of Work
New fence installed, old fence removed

05/02/2018

Chris S.

Went great. These guys were true professionals. Can't say enough great things about them.

Description of Work
400 linear feet of 6' wood privacy fence with 2 double and 1 single gate.

Category fencing

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for the compliments but it goes both ways. Always a pleasure to work for such great folks.

04/25/2018

Barbara S.

Santos did a wonderful, professional job. The fencing looks even better than I expected.

Description of Work
Building a corner decorative split rail fence

Category fencing

Many thanks [Member Name Removed], so happy you're happy. All the best to you.

04/21/2018

E. C.

Everything went extremely well, better than expected. Our estimator was very knowledgeable and made some good suggestion that we had not considered. We were delayed in the scheduling because of weather but they were very accommodating in setting up a new date. The crew was not only on time but a little early on installation day. The three installers were very careful of the garden area in front of the fence, which I appreciated. They were precise and careful in building the new fence, working diligently, and removing all the old materials as well. We are very pleased with the quality of the work and the final product. I would definitely use this company and crew again.

Description of Work
Remove an old fence and replace with a new one.

Category fencing

Thank you so much for being such a great client. It is always wonderful to work for such lovely people. Best to you, Adirondack Fence Builders.

03/28/2018

James C.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of work and professionalism shown by owner Rob and foreman Jose on my fence project. To begin with, I had requested a specific week for the work to take place. Adirondack fulfilled and made sure that on Monday at 7 am, the work began. Rob also came out every day to talk to me about property lines, grades, gate placement, heights, etc. I can't say enough about how well this worked out. There was a minor question about our agreement but it was quickly resolved amicably by Rob. Very fair. Adirondack cares about how your fence looks in the end and added slight details to my fence to make it look better than what I had asked for and expected. Foreman Jose was very good and easy to work with. The quality of work was great and I didn't worry about checking on them often. As a QC manager in construction, that is hard for me to do! All of the crew was friendly and respectful of my home and surroundings. A word about the estimator Linda - quirky. Before calling Adirondack I would suggest that you know exactly the type of fence that you want and exactly the linear footage. I found that there is a limit to her time productively answering questions. The end result for me is that Adirondack performed great where it matters and exceeded my expectations. My neighbor had her fence done by them at the same time and she is also very pleased. I highly recommend.

Description of Work
425' of cedar solid board fence

01/04/2018

Shelley B.

Rob and his crew did an excellent job removing the old fence/gate and replacing with a new fence/gate. The old fence was removed and everything cleaned up professionally. I was extremely happy with the work that was done and would highly recommend this company. I used them from a friend's recommendation and couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Description of Work
Fence Replacement

Category fencing

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed] for the great rating. It is always wonderful for us to work for clients who are such a delight. All the best to you.

12/29/2017

Barbara G.

All work was done in 1 1/2 days and yard was cleaned up with all debris removed, both fencing material and vegetation that had to be removed.

Description of Work
Three sections of split rail fence and 100' of basket weave fence was installed. 40' of fencing was removed and not replaced. Rob and crew professionalism and quality was excellent. Rob had a fast response to all questions and did the work on schedule. One of the best home contractors I have worked with.

Category fencing

We can't thank you enough [Member Name Removed] for the referral and the wonderful rating. It was such a pleasure to work for you and I must say, clients like you make our job easy. Wishing you all the best.

11/08/2017

ALLEN P.

Meeting with the Adirondack estimator was lovely and really had my hopes for the project up. But between mis-sent emails, a refusal to break down the final estimate into smaller portions for our decision making, time pressure put on my decision because of another job in the neighborhood, and general rudeness, the management of the company leaves a lot to be desired. Beware of using the company if your job is $1000 or less--they may treat you quite poorly.

Description of Work
Medium-sized fence removal and construction

Category fencing

This person is a relative of the home owner and his original request was for new fencing. When we got there, he wanted fencing removed and hauled away in multiply areas of the yard and a few feet of railings built. No new fencing. But we did try to help him with the demo because we had a fence installation job two blocks away and could do both in one day. We tried to explain this to him but he was upset because we wouldn't itemize each area of the removal. Most unfortunate.

10/24/2017

Robert G.

Excellent service. Great cleanup. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Trees trimmed. Ash tree removed.

Category tree service

08/15/2017

Edward G.

It took us years to research, ponder and make a decision. It was worth it; we found Adirondack Fence! Linda was an amazing consultant/planner -- so patient and willing to return a second time to field questions before purchase. We appreciated her aesthetic eye and helpful suggestions. Rob and his crew were amazing. The picture of professionalism -- punctual, responsible, careful with measurements -- caring consults with homeowners every step of the way. No regrets. Love waking up every single day to our beautiful fence, and are beginning to really enjoy our large backyard. Would hire Adirondack Fence again in a hot minute :)

Description of Work
Replaced chain link fence with beautiful new wooden fence (lattice trim); 1 gate with arbor and 1 double driveway gate

Category fencing, driveway gates

08/13/2017

Kate F.

Rob and his crew did a fantastic job; I would hire him again in a heartbeat. He arranged to come the day before to install the metal gate frame, and showed up the following morning promptly at 7, as promised. A great job. Durable and looks great. Thank you Rob.

Description of Work
Needed a new fence that meets my standard for exacting attention to detail. Additionally, I wanted a durable, lockable gate solution. While i had a clear idea of the solution i wanted, Rob used his expertise to recommend some adjustments to my vision to make the fence better. He was always mindful that I was the customer.

06/07/2017

William R.

They showed up when expected and did the job well.

Description of Work
Repair to a fence blown down in a storm. Adirondack also built a new wooden hat for us in the past. Responsive and reliable.

Category fencing, driveway gates

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking the time to review our work. It is greatly appreciated. Rob

03/13/2017

Susan S.

it could not have gone better... matched the fence, installed in a day and it looks great. Definitely would hire again!

Description of Work
I needed less than 100' of fencing installed. Adirondack did a great job matching the existing fence.

Thank you [Member Name Removed], it was a pleasure to work for you. Rob

03/08/2017

Jeffry N.

Repair was done well and on time. Adirondack kept me informed and fully met my expectations.

Description of Work
Repair of paddock fencing.

Category fencing

Many thanks, it was a pleasure to work for you. Rob

03/03/2017

Bonnie V.

Rob Darnell and his team from Adirondack Fence recently installed 70 feet of 6-foot fencing behind my townhouse and replaced the deck. Not only was Rob wonderful to work with, but the quality of the workmanship was outstanding! I could not believe how good it looked, especially the gate. I would definitely recommend Adirondack Fence to anyone that wants an extremely well-made, quality product. It is truly stunning work that they do.

Description of Work
70 feet of 6-foot fencing installed behind my townhouse. Also replaced the deck.

Category decks, fencing

Thank you for your assessment of our work. You made our job easy. Best, Rob

02/28/2017

Erin M.

Linda came out to do the estimate and not only was she exceptional to talk to and work with, she added valuable design inputs and ideas. Their cost matched or beat several other quotes that we got. Rob and his crew did all the work in a single day and they did a fantastic job. The yard space is captured and I have approached them for other potential custom jobs. This was a large backyard with three distinct tiers and very elevated. Would highly advise using them for any fence project.

Description of Work
Installed 114' of 4' tall alternating board fence in pressure treated pine (PTP) with 2 walk gates. Also 70' of 6' tall alternating board fence in PTP with rear walk gate. All gate hardware included.

Category fencing

Many thanks for your glowing remarks but I must say, you were wonderful to work for. It was our pleasure. Rob

02/13/2017

Lisa H.

They worked hard to come up with solutions to the challenging topography of our lot and still give us a great looking horizontal fence - some other builders had said it just couldn't be done. But Adirondack did and it looks great!

Description of Work
Installed a horizontal cedar plank fence on our hilly and uneven lot.

Category fencing

Thank you for being so understanding and a great customer. We are always up for a challenge and you were wonderful to work with. Rob

09/07/2016

Martha S.

Extremely well. Adirondack did a beautiful job building our earlier fence, and after removing some trees and brush, we wanted them to extend its boundaries. They could not have made it easier. Linda Marie measured, assessed, and estimated, and Rob supervised the building. Although the grade of our lot slants significantly and they had to work over a low tree stump, we opted for the fence to be level. They achieved this by working from a level board guide on top and varied the board lengths at the bottom, as needed. Rob is professional, prompt, and personable. Their service included obtaining the building permit. Results were exactly what we hoped.

Description of Work
Install 85 feet of 6-foot, pressure-treated pine fence with colonial gothic points--some solid wall and some, board-on-board, to extend existing fence.

Category fencing

Many thanks for your assessment of our work. You are always a pleasure to work for. Best, Rob

08/29/2016

Ringo L.

We have a very large yard that is quite hilly. The fence line looks great all the way around the back and sides of our property.

Description of Work
Wooden Fence Installation

08/26/2016

Matthew S.

Adirondack does very quick and pretty work. But god forbid you point out some problems to the head guy. For a company that claims to care about customer satisfaction, it is odd that the owner's first reaction upon learning of a customer's concerns is to fight him on it. At one point he actually said, "Unbelievable. Are you calling me a liar?" My concern was about staples. On most of the lattice, there are lots of staples visible. At first the owner said that it is impossible to make a lattice without staples. But then when I pointed out that some of the lattices are staple free, he tried to explain that those were different sized lattices. When I explained that they were the exact same size, he seemed flummoxed. When I then reluctantly pointed out that I was live streaming the fence installation and saw that when he returned he got very upset about the prevalence of lots of staples and told his workers that the owner would surely say something, he about lost it. Said he was talking about something else, asked if I was calling him a liar. Things weren't going anywhere until I walked around to the neighbor's property and noticed that on all the panels where the staples were very visible on my side, my neighbors have a gorgeous staple-free lattice. The owner was adamant that his workers make sure to install the pretty side facing the customer. I said, I don't know what to tell you, I'm looking right at it, my neighbors have a much better view than I do. I said that I knew the workers worked very hard and maybe they were tired toward the end of the day and maybe when they put the lattices in, they accidentally did them in reverse? I wanted to be a nice guy and yet there were clear problems and he just wasn't taking responsibility for them. He kept trying to explain them away even though it was obvious this was not put together properly. Then he talked about what a good deal I got on the wood, and how originally I was going to get cedar with knots but they didn't have any in stock and so he paid for the upgrade at no charge to me. And I told him that was all very generous and I know I got a great deal... but... staples. He was very much unwilling to come out and fix it, so I reluctantly told him I would compensate him whatever you thought was fair. He told me that he would fix it for $100. At this point and I was tired of arguing, and I really did get a great deal, so I just said fine yes $100. Just so much drama! All I want is a pretty lattice with no staples. "Yes, I totally understand that, what can we do to make this right?" That is the proper contractor response. The OTHER issue is that a few of the boards have dark writing on it, mostly the posts near the entrances so I'll see them all the time. He says there is nothing they can do about that, and that maybe it will fade over time. I'm pretty sure this is another case of installing things backwards. When I brought these problems up to the owner, he responded, "This isn't furniture." Which I took to mean that he doesn't really care about the details. Bottom line: It's been a year now. I love my fence. Overall, Adirondack did quality work at a great price, and I would recommend them if you are looking for a good combination of quick and cheap and pretty good. But just know the the owner does NOT care about precision, he does NOT particularly care about making the customer happy, and I did NOT have a pleasant experience interacting with this company.

Description of Work
Six foot cedar fence with one foot lattice, for backyard. About 70 feet worth.

06/08/2016

Sharon B.

This is a very hard-working crew! Rob, the owner, is hands-on and works right along with his crew. I can't speak more highly of him and his team! Fair pricing, excellent service and workmanship. He's dedicated to doing an outstanding job and making his customers satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed an 8' solid board privacy fence across the back line of my property.