The Eldest Geek Craigs Computers

Founded 1975 • With Angi since April 2011

4.4

8101 Richmond Hwy

Alexandria, VA 22309

Hello - I'm Craig Baker - the Eldest Geek. I'm the oldest computer dealer you will EVER run into - as I've had my computer stores for over 35 years. I had 3 computer stores in Colorado for over 30 years before I moved out here 8 years ago - and I've opened up a little shop a bit south of Alexandria directly on Rt 1. Inside the Mt Vernon Antique Center. I do ANYTHING to do with computers. You cant think of anything I don't do - and believe me people have tried. I sell good used computers and give a SIX MONTH WARRANTY on every system I sell. I fix ANY problem. with ANY computer. PC or Mac, no problem. Hardware or software, no problem. Desktop or laptop or server, no problem. And I always do FREE ESTIMATES! I also BUY broken laptops - and fix them up to get them a new home. I'll look at ANYTHING - it does not matter what happened. And I can get your data off the dead laptop as well. I have been repairing Macs for over 25 years. (since the very first Mac Classic). I can fix ANY mac with any issue - even including liquid spill damage! And I do it for half or less than what the apple stores charge. (And I can fix ones they say cant be fixed!). I do data recovery. I can get back your data even if the drive is going click-click-click - and the G**k squad tells you nothing can be done! I have about a 95% chance of recovery. No data recovered, NO charge! I also do website development. I've done over 700 websites for folks, and I've done them anywhere from $100 to $150k. And I can tell you what makes a website WORK! So if you need any computer service - give me a try - drop by my shop and check me out! I'll show you the VERY first computer I ever owned - a beautiful old NorthStar Horizon - which is the ONLY computer - EVER - to come in a Walnut Wood case!. Back then they believed in a quality computer! Call me at 703-436-4756 or email me at cdb@theeldestgeek.com!...

06/25/2021

Alice B.

They found out all it needed was a new cord. New ones are no longer made but TopTech had one that would work. Saving me from having to replace the computer.

Description of Work
The laptop would not always come on.

04/27/2015

V M.

I used The Eldest Geek guys for several items including an HP laptop and an iPod Touch and I am very impressed with not only their capabilities as computer experts but also their integrity and reliability. The Eldest Geek guys were easy to find: their shop is on the 2nd floor inside the Mount Vernon Antique Store at 8101 Richmond Hwy in Alexandria. That might sound unusual to some, but when you see their simple set-up, it makes a lot of sense since they are keeping their overhead costs super low. Parking is ample on either side of the building. Turning left out of there onto Richmond Hwy is not recommended by me, but there is a convenient street behind the building that moots the need to do so. FYI: they are closed on Tuesdays, but open every other day, including Saturdays and Sundays. The Geek guys have excellent customer service and make sure you and they are on the same page about what service is being done. They are very forthcoming/honest about whether your computer is worth updating/pouring money into, which was much appreciated coming from someone who has poured way too much money into cars and boats that were well past their prime. They quoted me a reasonable price and a quick completion-of-services timeframe which were met accordingly. My HP laptop was swamped with malware/adware/u-name-it-ware and it needed to be wiped clean and restored to its beginning functionality and, this time, have the proper and most-up-to-date anti-wares installed to help keep most--of course, not all since the expert malware producers out in the world are ever-clever and quite productive--of the bad-wares at bay. They explained very clearly what the best antiwares were for that type of laptop and I went with their recommendations. The laptop is being dedicated to playing Minecraft, Clash of Clans, etc and many other seemingly badware-magnet games/apps/etc someone wants to play and all of it is up and running smoothly. As for the iPod Touch, we were locked out for a number of days due to failed password attempts and, on top of that, I wasn't sure if it was worth keeping. The Geek guys clearly explained the value it still had and it was ideal for the purposes I needed it for and it was fixed on the spot and is performing its functions ideally. The Eldest Geek is a business that we will be using and recommending from now on.

Description of Work
The Eldest Geek performed excellent services on both HP and Apple products.

04/20/2015

Patrick J.

I'd done business with Craig remotely. I needed to pickup a laptop from him, and my 2011 iMac needed some updates. The laptop was ready when I got there. The memory upgrade was done VERY quickly. The system "slowness" was due to the fact that my internal hard drive had some problems. The drive was replaced very quickly. They installed Yosemite on it, and all I had to was use my Time Machine backup to restore my data. These guys know their stuff, they've been at it for a LONG time. They have parts there, so some repairs (as mine) can be done while you wait. They have comfortable chairs to sit in, and many interesting things (including all kinds of vintage computer gear) to look at while you wait.

Description of Work
Performed a memory upgrade, diagnosed system "slowness" and installed a new internal hard drive.

04/07/2015

Kathleen S.

After several weeks of the screen on my laptop occasionally flickering when initially turning the computer on, the screen went completely black. The laptop would still power on but I was unable to see anything on the screen. After doing some trouble shooting I realized that I would need a professional to diagnose and fix the problem. I contacted a few local computer repair companies and Craig was the first person who had an available appointment. Craig spoke to me over the phone and provided some initial thoughts as to what might be causing the problem. He told me I could bring the laptop in and he would take a look and provide a free estimate of how much the repairs would cost. I spoke with Craig a few hours after dropping the computer off and he informed me that he had determined that the screen on the laptop needed to be replaced (approximate cost = $150.) He said he would check to see if he had a replacement screen in stock and could have the computer fixed and ready for pick up on Wednesday, if that would work for me. (I dropped the laptop off on Monday at 11 a.m. Craig's company is closed on Tuesdays.) I explained that I was unavailable on Wednesday and, if possible, would really appreciate it if there was any way that the repair could be made ASAP so I could pick up the computer later on Monday. Craig said he would try to get it finished so I could pick up the computer later that day. Craig called at 4:30 on Monday - the same day I dropped off the computer - to let me know that the laptop screen had been replaced and the laptop was ready for pick up. Craig replaced the laptop screen and I am now able to fully use the laptop again. Very quick and affordable service with straightforward communication as to what to expect with regard to timing and price.

Description of Work
Repaired laptop computer.

08/26/2013

Uwe D.

I gave that GEEK 3 Macbook Pro laptops to repair . I had to wait 4months till I got them back. Once they were ready some did not work right. Instead of giving it back to the GEEK, I rather got it fixed from providers on eBay. I should have seen the red flags. The shop is located on the second floor of an antique store. Very unorganized , equipment all over the place.

Description of Work
Repaired laptops but I got lousy service and the repair was not a100% .

Category computer repair

This review is astounding. And causes me to question Angies List verified reviews- claims. [Member Name Removed] paid us NOTHING. ZERO. NADA. and he brought us 3 macbooks he had attempted repair on and had failed - in fact damaging the components he purchased and installed. We had one fixed next day - another (a 17in one) was just pathological. It kept failing after being repaired. It took quite a while to fix - It was a logic board issue and it was a nightmare to deal with. but we did - finally - have it up and going. The third was one where he damaged the logic board and keyboard, but after replacing the keyboard the only misbehavior was the battery not charging and he decided that it was acceptable (and would just be a little desktop). We had treated him as a friend. He came around repeatedly with Mac questions and I went out of my way to help him. Then as I was working up what the bill would be (He had a few unused mac parts he wanted to trade in towards the bill) he suddenly stopped coming. When I saw an Angie list review was posted I assumed it would be a GOOD one for all the assistance we had given him. A logic board repair, two keyboards replaced and 3 macs up and going. at a minimal cost! I was absolutely FLABBERGASTED at the review above. Not only are his claims false (and defamatory by the way) but we went OUT OF OUR WAY to help this fellow! I asked Angies list how they would permit such a flagrantly false review to be posted and I got the we can't alter any reviews. Then I replied that I would not be considering any advertising with them LOL!

08/05/2013

Michael W.

Great service, very knowledgable, has kept me and my family from wasting money on waisted repairs and sold us used computers which have and are still serving us well. When I'm in a computer pinch, craig is the first person I go to.

Description of Work
Needed a low cost computer with windows 8 to assist my mother who lives in KC Kansas trouble shoot computer problems over the phone. Craig had a great little netbook which has become a mainstay for me to use at work. I could be more pleased.

COMPUTER GEEKS

We are a group of technicians who pride ourselves on eliminating your computer frustrations. No matter what the technical problem we will come up with solutions that meet your budget and your technical requirements. You call us (or schedule an appointment by clicking the book online button above), tell us what you want to accomplish, and we make it happen. We are on the job until everything is perfect and you are 100% satisfied with the result. We have over 60,000 happy clients in the area, and their (and your) satisfaction is our #1.

My Computer Works

Offers by My Computer Works on Angi
    Mike's Computer Repair

Please call Mike at 480-580-9648. I opened Mike's Computer Repair (480-580-9648) in 1994 with the desire to provide honest, reliable and friendly computer services in Maricopa County and across the United States. I provide on-site computer repair at your home or office for any problems or upgrade issues you may be having. I am also able to use remote access software to control your computer and address problems without having to visit. Not sure what to do? Call 480-580-9648 and It will always be Mike that answers the phone! 480-580-9648

Website Design & Development
    Computer Sales
    MasterCard, Check

PC Sales, Service & Repair.