Murphy Family Electric

Founded 2000 • With Angi since May 2009

Sean, the owner of Murphy Family Services, first worked alongside his electrician father when he was a mere 14 years old. The experience stuck with him, and in addition to a college degree, he went on to attain his master electrical tradesman license. Today, he and his team at Murphy Family

Family ElectriciansYour Family's ElectricianA Service Provider's profile image

Panel Upgrade

electrician

202020001
Replaced meter base, service entrance cable, upgrade panel, updated grounding system.
View project

4.4

electrician (2079)lighting (595)ceiling fan installation (209)landscape lighting (73)handyman (40)appliance repair (40)plumbers (29)HVAC Companies (25)home remodeling (16)drywall (7)woodworking (4)water heaters (2)

10/25/2022

Barksdale P.

The company is Murphy Family Electric, which I selected in July based solely on Angi's recommendation. We had two sets of lights that were not working--one in the kitchen and one in the backyard. The technician first looked at the kitchen lights and said we needed to hire a low voltage electrician--he wouldn't even try to fix it. I guess maybe that should have been a red flag but we had him then look at the backyard lights. The technician looked at the backyard lights and accomplished nothing other than to leave one light that worked just fine when he arrived unable to turn off. He did come back and fix that light and said if we hired him back for a full day they would fix the malfunctioning light. So two guys came for a whole day and again did not fix the light. He gave inconsistent explanations as to what was wrong, but suggested we replace both the lights and the transformer. He was unable to explain why both would break, or why other lights were being powered just fine by the transformer. After he left we realized that they broke another set of lights in the backyard. The technician did come back and try to fix that but failed. For the past several weeks I have been trying to get them to come back and they have agreed to various appointments and not shown up. There is some fellow named Sean at the home office who is in communication with the technician and me but will only communicate through text messages so he never really understands what is going on, but clearly customer service is quite low on his priorities. After their second recent no show I sent messages to Sean asking what was gong on and when were they going to come back to our house and received no response at all for 5 days. Only when I wrote to say that I assumed that their lack of communication meant that they would not be completing any more work did Sean respond to say that they would return to the job. They scheduled another visit and did not show up. When I wrote Sean to complain about another no-show, he didn't respond for a while and then finally said that I should try to get the technician out to my house. He took no ownership of this situation and made no acknowledgement whatsoever of the inconvenience of repeated no shows. So the bottom line is that I paid $1325.50 and all that happened was a set of lights that used to work no longer works, and both broken lights are still broken. Finally, the length of this delay has not been all their fault, as we have been away for several periods. I can't imagine that Angi would want to recommend this company.

Description of Work
They spent hours in our backyard. That is it. No satisfactory explanation of the problem has been given to us.

Work Completed On 10/25/2022

07/12/2022

Sasha M.

Scheduling was difficult and additional fees were not communicated prior to the visit

Description of Work
Service visit

Work Completed On 07/06/2022

We sorry we try to make it as simple as an upfront as possible on our website. All our booking is usually done on our website. All you have to do is pick the accurate service. Read all the pricing and terms and book.

03/30/2022

Karla W.

I was a customer since 2017. I had great service until recently. The electrician who arrived was asked to remove wiring and a light switch and relocate to an adjacent wall. The wiring was left in the wall which was scheduled to be removed the next day. My contractor was delayed because he could not remove the wall because the wiring was still there. I paid close to 1k and one item was completed. I contacted the company to let them know that the electrician was at my home all day and I noticed the electrical wires were still in the wall. The electrician called me and apologized and said he did not see the wire. They sent someone else out to redo the work and told me 3.5 hours would be of no charge. The tech showed up and moved the wire. He stayed longer than expected and attempted to charge me for a full day. We called the owner to straighten things out but he did not pick up. So We explained to the tech that the owner agreed to comp the first 3.5 hours. I paid $500 plus for the time he was there after the 3.5 hours in addition to the $900 that I paid the day before. I booked another full day afterwards to begin some other projects and it was cancelled. The owner sent messages stating that I complained when it was time to pay. Which is not true. He also stated that I was trying to squeeze too much work in one day. Which was also not true. I had a long list and explained to him that I am willing to pay however many days it takes to complete the work. Ultimately the communication ended with me parting ways with them. It’s unfortunate and unfair that one complaint led to this. The owner has horrible communication skills. I am happy that I’ve found a nice true family owned local electrician who does not send random sub-contracted electricians out.

Description of Work
Electrical wiring moved and lights installed.

Work Completed On 03/29/2022

02/01/2022

Donald H.

I had Murphy electric come out to help restore power to a circuit. They were unable to complete the job on that visit and suggested I schedule another full day appointment. I did that. The night before that appointment they cancelled claiming I would be unwilling to pay (incredibly insulting) and that parking was too difficult at that location (?!). I assured them I wanted to complete the job and that I would provide off street parking. The owner would not reasonably discuss these solutions. I have never, I mean never, encountered a less professional organization. Stay FAR away from these guys.

Description of Work
Restore power

Work Completed On 02/01/2022

[Member Name Removed], we did not charged you for our diagnosis time. You wouldn't agree to our repair and what was needed. You need to refeed the circuit and it's going to take more time than you wanted to agree to. We wish you the best of luck

01/12/2022

Melinda S.

If I could give this business a zero I would. It is easy to schedule online, but then they don't show up or when they do, they don't fully fix the issue. I have been going back-and-forth with them since August to get an issue resolved and they are refusing to fix the problem and continually trying to charge me more. This is an electrician ponzi scheme.

Description of Work
Replace and rerun circuits

Work Completed On 01/12/2022

01/09/2022

David H.

The service was great. I highly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Fixed ceiling tube light fixtures.

Work Completed On 06/15/2018

11/21/2021

Amanda M.

NEVER hire Murphy's electric. They installed a ceiling fan they FELL on my bed. A year ago Murphy's electric installed a ceiling fan for me. Tonight, it fell on my bed as my husband and I were asleep. I'm so lucky that I happened to be asleep on the couch. Otherwise, it would on fell directly on me. Sadly, this wasn't even the only thing they did wrong. There were multiple many electric code violations. Frankly, I had decided to drop the issue last year because I had someone to fix most of them and I had more important things to worry about besides money. However, I can't ignore this any longer. My husband and I could have been seriously injured by their negligence.

Description of Work
Various electric work

Work Completed On 08/07/2020

We don't show you as a customer in our system. Could you kindly reach out to us

10/30/2021

Howard M.

To many extra fees for installing an EV Charging Outlet, not shown until you read the fine print. Poor email responses from company that seem condescending and bothersome when asking additional questions. Basically was told to re-read the website all the information was there. If you are trying to earn someones business at least answer their questions and don't point them back to a website. Also no ability to talk to anyone on the phone.

Description of Work
Install EV Charging Outlet

Work Completed On 10/30/2021

Thank you for your feedback. There are in some cases extra fees if we have to add a tandem breaker to create space or if the wire length is long to cover those additional material costs. We hope you understand.

10/15/2021

Joseph P.

I had hired these guys before with a good experience, so I gave it another shot. I know a little too much for my own good, so I had a few questions before the job was done regarding supplies that I needed. I wanted to buy my own materials because I'm nuts. They had no problem with this and told me exactly what kind of wire to buy via text message. Mike was sent over and I explained everything. He needed to fish a lot of wire down under the kitchen floor to the laundry room and then under the finished basement ceiling about 25 feet to the breaker. This guy can fish wire like a boss. He only had to cut 2 holes in my ceiling. I think I'm just going to cover them with access panels for the next time wire needs to be run to the breaker. I like Murphy because everything is easy. I can just book a block of time with fairly transparent pricing and they come by and knock it out. And - they don't give you any problems about having your own materials so an intermediate DIY'er like me can get some specific stuff.

Description of Work
Swap out old 50A electrical wire run prior to installation of new stove.

Work Completed On 10/08/2021

Thank you! Yes we like to help everyone save time and money this way

05/14/2021

Adam L.

The company is a fraud, Takes your money in advance and will ask for more, If you disagree with them they will not refund the advance. Please do not choose this company as an option.

Description of Work
cutler hammer meter Work

Work Completed On 07/14/2021

The work was awarded as a contract and then we were unable to complete the work because of access problems to the job.

04/27/2021

Rich M.

This company does not communicate over phone. Only text messages. I'm sorry, I'm not going to communicate everything I need done at my house over a text message like a 15 year old child.

Description of Work
Recessed lighting, ceiling fans, and exhaust fans

Work Completed On 04/27/2021

Yes we only do text messaging because it keeps everything clear and in writing it makes things much faster easier and upfront for the customer. This has been working really well for thousands and thousands of customers booking on our website. It makes everything very simple and easy. I'm sorry you think that it is immature.

03/23/2021

Amy T.

Easy to schedule, came out quickly, quality work. Stan was great. Couldn't ask for more!

Description of Work
Install outlet for EV charger

Work Completed On 03/23/2021

02/24/2021

Jeremy B.

Chase arrived on time was ready to work, eager to please, and the service went beyond my expectations. Very appreciative of the hard work and customer service. Would hire again.

Description of Work
Fix non working light and move electrical outlet.

Work Completed On 02/19/2021

thank you!

02/17/2021

Sheryl R.

It was excellent. Mike was very informative and thorough. Prices were reasonable. They were on time to every meeting time. The best part was how willing they were to work with me with a timeline. They completed the tasks very proficiently.

Description of Work
They installed some brakers and electrical work.

Work Completed On 02/05/2021

Thank you!

01/18/2021

demaron M.

He came and was very unprofessional, provided no estimate and charged me $400 only for the ceiling fan to still have issues.

Description of Work
Needed them to fix the lights in the ceiling fan

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 01/18/2021

Thank you for letting us know. We will help you through this and get everything taken care of

01/09/2021

Jeff C.

excellent...very professional and high on the integrity scale.

Description of Work
Problem with circuit breaker

Work Completed On 12/30/2020

Thank you so much!

12/31/2020

Greg B.

I gave an A rating, despite some bumps on the scheduling. The A rating was earned by Danny and the work he did to get the various new light fixtures installed, both inside and outside. We have more fixtures to be installed, and we will have Danny back to finish the job.

Description of Work
Electrical fixtures installed.

Work Completed On 12/10/2020

thank you!

11/04/2020

Saman R.

Made an appointment for 2pm Nov 4th, two days prior (Nov 2nd) with a specific technician of theirs. The day before my appointment the company switched the tech for the project without telling me. The day of the appointment, clock strikes 2pm and nothing. Come 2:30pm I get an automated text message saying my appointment is now bumped to 4pm. Come 4:25pm I haven't heard a thing. I contact the phone number provided on their website (703) 309-6125 asking where the tech is and Im told "He had a full day with another customer, I'm going to see if he can give you an eta here soon". It is now 5pm and I still have not heard back. It's 2020. All businesses and professionals should be able to keep appointments or at the very least maintain a level of decency by keeping contact with customers by CALLING/EMAIL/TEXT MESSAGE. I took a PTO day from my job to stare at my ceiling all day and wait for this tech. who didn't even show up or call to say he wasn't going to show up. Will not bother rescheduling with this company or hiring them in the future. Can't maintain a schedule or stick to appointments.

Description of Work
Fixture installations.

Work Completed On 11/04/2020

[Member Name Removed] we apologize for your inconvenience we did message you to let you know that the tech assigned with you wasn't feeling well so we had to assign a different tech we also sent you a notifications that it was going to be later as the job was assigned to a tech with a full day or sorry we weren't able to get to you till around 5:00 and then you said it was too late at that point.

10/23/2020

Nailah R.

On time, courteous, professional. Took every precaution to be respectful of the hardwood floors, I had refinished recently. Explained all the work !!!! Will call again on my next electrical project

Description of Work
Installation of several celling fans and chandeliers

Category electrician, lighting

Work Completed On 05/26/2019

Thank youy!

10/22/2020

Jason N.

Overall it was a pretty good experience as everything I wanted done, got done. Original talks with the “chat” function led me to purchasing a bunch of recommended items for my install. Once my full day electrician Dan had arrived, about 90 min passed the blocked time due to an additional service call he was scheduled for which had some issues, he immediately identified what I was informed to purchase was incorrect and got me on track and where we needed to be. He also mentioned my planned job would normally be a day and a half or two day event. This job was installing a sub panel in my shed to include running 180+ feet of thick 6/3 UF wire from the house panel to the shed. Providing dedicated circuits for my pool pump, French drain sump pump, and power for inside the shed to use for my tools and a shop light as well. I did help for the entire day and he really appreciated my hard work which made this a one day Job. I Couldn’t be happier with the work Dan performed and the Knowledge he has. Would have appreciated a little more accurate initial chat support so I didn’t have to make so many Lowe's trips, specifically the wire, which the correct wire was 4x the cost of the “suggested” wire. Final thoughts. If someone books a Full Day Electrician appointment, that assigned electrician, should not be taking service calls as he has a full day appointment scheduled. That’s poor Business planning and makes the electrician look bad if he’s not at the “blocked” call time. Dan made the event flat out awesome. Friendly, professional, and most of all a really hard worker. Super happy with the work he did and most of all, we got everything finished in one session like I planned for. Jason Nelson

Description of Work
Sub panel install to get power to my shed and dedicated circuits for pool, sump pump,.

Category electrician, lighting

Work Completed On 10/21/2020

Review for Murphy Family Electric - Licensed, Insured in All of Virginia, Maryland, DC, Alexandria, VA - 38967946

Thank you!

10/09/2020

Matthew B.

Could have completed more myself in less time. Tech spent over an hour going to Home Depot for parts outlet boxes, etc. that should have been on the truck considering you pay a $25 fee for this. Tech over explained issues, seems like talking is easier than working at $200 per hour. Forget the law degree, this is good work if you can get it. Just remember to always turn off the breaker. My $395 deal turned into $640 with &50 in parts. Buyer beware!

Description of Work
Outside electrical work

Work Completed On 10/08/2020

hey [Member Name Removed] we're sorry about your experience I talked with the tech about this job and would like to go over this with you and see what we can do to make things right give me a call at 703-309-6125

10/06/2020

Robert S.

The project went excellently and the difference in the lighting level is phenominal. it is truly like night and day.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel of lighting. Recommended the lights and performed the service with great efficiency and timelyness. Sammy was a real professional and a wonderful fellow to work with.

Category electrician, home remodeling