GLK Custom Decking

Founded 2001 • With Angi since October 2009

GLK Custom Decking is a small family owned and operated business that include professionals with architectural, building contruction and interior design degrees. We have over 18 years experience in the design/build industry. We have over 7 years experience in the deck, porch and outdoor living industry. We take pride in designing and constructing our own outdoor living environments. They all include creating a space where you will enjoy relaxing throughout the year. Whether it be a simple deck or a complete outdoor kitchen with all the amenities, we do it all. All our work is performed in-house without subcontractors (unless specialized). We are completely insured and fully bonded. Our licenses ensure that we are capable of performing the work necessary to complete your project up to todays code for safety. We carry a one year warranty on all workmanship and a material warranty on all products....

Phoenix Home Services Inc

Visit our website to request your free in-home estimate today! Phoenix Home Services is a locally owned and operated turn-key construction company servicing the Northern Virginia area. We have been in business since 1985, with many beautiful projects under our belts. Our committed and tight-knit team is fully capable of projects as simple as a small patio installation, to larger jobs such as full house or business construction, and everything in between! As a general contractor with years of experience installing complex projects and strong ties with the area's suppliers, Phoenix Home Services is a sound choice and good value for all your home improvement needs. From building a custom screen room, to renovating a basement… Let Phoenix breathe new life into your home!

Offers by Phoenix Home Services Inc on Angi
Steadfast Construction Inc

Financing Available. / We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with great diversity among our two dozen - plus builders. / VA Lic. # 2705-058852A *** We Schedule Appointments for: • Monday – Thursday: 1pm, 3pm, 5pm & 7pm • Friday: 1pm, 3pm & 5pm • Saturday: 9am, 11am & 1pm

Offers by Steadfast Construction Inc on Angi
Virginia Deck Builders

Virginia Deck Builders specializes in deck resurfacing, deck restoration and we also offer deck repairs, maintenance and replacement. We build decks, pergolas, gazebos, porches, sunrooms, patios and under deck roof & storage.

06/17/2017

Julie M.

It came out perfectly. The owner personally does the work (with assistants), pays attention to detail, and ensures it is done well. It looks beautiful and was reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Needed our 2nd story deck upgraded and a screened porch added. It required creativity and precision to fit the porch to the side of the house due to the lication of windows.

09/24/2016

Matt E.

George is very personable as well as knowledgeable with his craft. He told me upfront it would be a couple of months before he could start and we were okay with that after getting quotes from other companies. He was able to work us in a bit sooner than estimated and he told us 5 days to have the job done, which he met despite one of his workers not showing up two of the five days. He addressed any concerns I had during the build and everything turned out great. He was not the cheapest out of the companies we had quote us but some things are worth paying extra for to have done right.

Description of Work
Removal of old deck and fence, construction of new larger deck and fence

Category decks,fencing

09/12/2016

David A.

I began the process by interviewing four Angie list "A" rated firms. I used a best value process in making my final decision. I was looking for a company that would be accountable for the entire effort in order to avoid multiple sub-contractors. I wanted a "turn-key" approach. After reviewing all the proposals I contracted with GLK Custom Decking because they provided a team approach from design through execution. GLK Custom Decking was not the low bidder but using the best value process I chose GLK Custom Decking. The project began very well. Demolition was accomplished in one day and installation began immediately. There was one change order in that the hand rail material was changed and some structural modifications due to unforeseen conditions. I was not anticipating this change but understood what was needed and why. I was extremely satisfied with the attention to detail. GLK Custom Decking was very meticulous in selecting material to be used on the job. In each instance I was informed of the material to be used and was offered alternatives. Each alternative was discussed weighing the pros and cons. The construction was performed by the owner of GLK Custom Decking. The pride and professionalism was definitely on display each and every day.

Description of Work
The scope of the project was to replace an existing 29 yr. old pressure treated wood deck with a screened in porch and deck using compressed composite material and cedar. The footprint of the porch and deck was slightly larger the existing deck.

08/30/2016

Arthur F.

I would like to highly recommend GLK Custom Decking based on the phenomenal experience we enjoyed while our porch and deck were being constructed. To give a few details, the new deck consisted of a 400 sqft. covered porch with an attached 200 sqft. deck. The entire structure was built from pressure treated lumber and is elevated approximately 12 feet off the ground. From our initial planning meetings, George provided ideas based on his vast experience in architectural design to create an outdoor space that surpassed what we had envisioned. During the build, his true attention to detail was unparalleled; from sanding every piece of wood (including 6x6 posts), to matching the grain lines to ensure the finish looked seamless and pleasing to the eye. George always had a positive attitude and was a pleasure to work with. He is a true master of his craft and this can be seen in every inch of the finished product.

Description of Work
GLK Custom Decking designed and constructed a covered porch and deck on the rear of our house.

08/08/2016

Dan G.

George was fantastic to work with through the entire process. Before giving us a quote, he sat down and went through the whole process and showed us examples of what he thought would be best for our house. He was able to answer all our questions and presented some options we hadn't considered. When construction began, he was there on time and ready to go. He kept us apprised of the schedule and worked with us to include a last minute grill bump out. Everything finished on time and George left our backyard clear of debris and materials. We've had a number of compliments on the deck and we've been able to use it extensively. If/when we ever need another deck, George will be our only call.

Description of Work
George installed a new 2nd level deck.

08/27/2015

Caroline T.

Description of Work
George at GLK Custom Decking removed the old deck on our townhouse and built a new deck with stairs for us. He did a great job and was very professional. The cost may be higher than others, but you can understand why when you see the quality of his work.

04/08/2013

Amanda C R.

Last year, GLK installed a double-decker deck at our home with Timbertech PVC for the decking and pressure treated wood for the handrails, trim and frame. We love the deck. We think the construction was great - good workmanship. The products used seem to be good quality (only one year in, so that is yet to be determined). The project took a *little* longer than we had liked, but it's understandable because of the 100+ degree weather everyday and a power outage that occurred during that time. Even on the 100+ degree days, the team was there for a few hours in the morning until it became too dangerous to be outside, so I appreciated that effort. George was very responsive and professional, and he was very helpful and reasonable when we asked for small changes/corrections. The price was a little higher than some other quotes we got, but was also lower than about two other companies. GLK built many of the decks in our neighborhood and we had gotten two direct referrals from neighbors that we personally know, so that definitely counts! So to pass it on, I'd be happy to recommend GLK to other homeowners looking to get a good quality deck installed by a company that really knows the trade.

Description of Work
Last year, GLK installed a double-decker deck at our home with Timbertech PVC for the decking and pressure treated wood for the handrails, trim and frame. Permits and inspection provided. Also a small fence was installed.

06/13/2012

amar T.

George and his crew were extremely professional during all engagements and stages of the project. George does a lot of the work himself with a two man crew. His passion for his work shines through in his work quality and his attention to detail. He does not take shortcuts, in fact I'd say he takes additional steps to make sure the final product looks better than most. He made sure to clean the workspace thoroughly everyday and at the project end, in addtion to putting back the brick patio to its initial condition. The final product was as discribed in the estimate, within bounds established and with high quality materials and craftmanship. We love our new deck, and would highly recommend George to any of our friends and family.

Description of Work
George from GLK consulted on options for repair or replacement of an older and unlevel deck. After considering different approaches we determined that removing the 20 year old deck and replacing it with a new wood and PVC composite deck would be the best route for our project. He provided a concise quote for completing the work and after having seen his work first hand on our neighbor's deck, and calling another recent reference of his, we determined to move forward with him and his quote over other companies we considered. After agreeing to the work, GLK was able to schedule a start date for our project very quickly -- the following week. They began work as promised and completed it within the expected timeframe.

Category decks

I thank Customer for the work. They understood clearly what my intent was and how I would proceed to repair their project. I appreciate greatly the kind words that he posted about me and my company. I wish all my clients were members of Angie's list and posted their positive feedback. Word of mouth is how you stay in business, thank you once again.

07/18/2011

DARYL B.

Like most contractors, GLK put forward there best foot and manners when advertising and providing estimates. GLK is the name sake of the owner, whom we dealt directly with. The contractor sold and charged me for a deck with a bumpout. The base deck was $6500 rectanglular; the added bump out made it $6800 (+$300) to accomodate a grill area. When he was finished he did not bump out the deck, he SHIFTED IT. The shift not only did not give us the bump out, but took away an additional 200 square ft of deck since a portion of the deck shifted towards the house structure. If that was not bad enough, the railing stopped right in front of the window. So, not only did he not give me a bump out, he short changed me on the original sized of the deck. Equal to about $700 and untold harm to my resale value. The contract and drawing clearly show he was wrong. Unfortunately, I am deployed to Afghanistan, and my wife was too stressed to deal with it so we just paid him. He refused to fix the problem, take a fair amount of pair for the deck, and insisted on the full price to include a bump out. In the end he was quite nasty too. to the point he refused to put railing on the stairs, a safety hazard for my children. It was a nightmare of an experience.

Description of Work
The contractor was to build a deck on to the back of my home, to include the deck, lighting, and arbor and steps. It was to be approx. 14 ft x 16 ft. The deck attaches to the main level of the home which is about 7ft above ground level, with stairs that land on an existing concrete patio. Lights all around.

Category decks

I am responding to the false statements made from this client and my services. I will respond to their comments with my own side of the story (which I made to the BBB) and you will see in the end that Member statements are misleading, exaggerated and untrue. My client states that I charged them for something that we did not contractually agree upon. You can see from their drawings that I gave them a contract and drawing outlining my services and the intent and size of the project. I gave them two choices, one with a bumpout and the other without. It is clear on the drawings that there is a bumpout, but Member still thinks I did not give him one. The dimensions are clear and he just did not look over the drawings to see what size I was building. He mentioned he was abroad and that he left this project up to his wife to see through. I did not deal with Member at all on this and only corresponded with his wife. So you are getting second hand information from Member even though he makes it sound like he was there every step of the way. Second, he goes on to say that I cheated them out of 200sf. Well if you do the math, you can see that there project alone was less than 200sf. So how could I cheat them out of something that was more than planned? It does not make mathmatical sense. They would have a negative deck. Also, Member claims that I did not finish the project and made it unsafe for his children. What he failed to tell you was that I received a final inspection for the project and I would not have if did not complete it. He also mentioned that they paid me in full. Why would anybody pay a contractor/company in full for a service if they did not complete the work? So I obviously completed the work satisfactory or I could not get paid contractually. Lastly, he failed to mention that we used a third party arbitrator (the Better Business Bureau) to settle our differences and that the BBB agreed with me in the end and believed that I did everything contractually and that my company was not at fault. Member did the same thing with them as he did with Andies's list, he made it sound bad and had no facts other than his imagination to back up his claims. I on the other hand gave a 25 page letter with email correspondance and drawings to outline the actual facts. Member was obviously not happy with their decision and mentioned that he would pursue another avenue to rants his lies. He did not take legal action against my company and decided to post lies on the interenet instead. In the end, it is sad to say that this one incident in the 12 years I am in business had to come to somebody making false statements about me and my company because they did not look over the contract or understand it. I have an A+ rating with the BBB and have no negative reviews about me anywhere. I have plenty of recent references that put me and my compant in good light. This is a case where Member gave somebody else the authority to deal with the contract instead of himself and he is the only one to blame because he did not read the contract or understand the drawing and in the end did not want what they decided on and chose to blame the contractor instead of facing the truth that he was at fault. Please do not let this one negative review place credence on me and my company. I take pride in my work and try to make every effort to make my projects better than expected. I give very fair prices for the quality of work that I do and I make sure every project is as outlined because I personally build every project. I do not hand it off my projects to a subcontractor and then blame them if something goes wrong. I take it personally when something goes right and I take it personally when something goes wrong. But I stand up to my word and will not make up false staements because I was wrong. You do not stay in this business for over 10 years if you do not stand by your work and give excellent workmanship. I will give a discount to anybody that sees this review and gives me a chance to give an estimate for them.

We provide custom design and build services of all outdoor living environments which include decks, porches (front & back), firepits, pergolas, outdoor kitchens, and fences. We take pride in designing and building our own projects from design to conception without sub-contracting our work out. Every project is unique and they need the attention to detail that makes it stand out from the ordinary. My company delivers that with my commitment to keeping my clients completely satisfied with my work.

Visa, Check, Financing Available