Discount Energy Services

Founded 1984 • With Angi since October 2006

Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

1602 Belle View Blvd #245

Alexandria, VA 22307

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

Discount Energy Services has been insulating homes in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C. Metro area for over 30 years, and we have insulated more older homes than any of the other insulation contractors. The owner has over 40 years experience, and has always been specialized in insulating the older homes. Please call to have questions about your home insulation needs personally answered, and for an appointment for your free insulation estimate. After consulting with us, you may decide which type of insulation, and how much insulation you want after we give you your insulation suggestions, and we will also let you know what we recommend most. We will send our energy conservation specialist to your home to measure, and give you your free written prices for the energy saving options best suited for your home, whenever you are ready. Thanks again for checking with us. We guarantee the best job at the best price, and look forward to your call....

4.4

4.4

insulation (76)

02/19/2021

Stuart S.

THESE GUYS ARE ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. DO NOT USE THEM AND SAVE YOUR MONEY. THE INSULATION THEY USED MADE THE PROBLEM WORSE AND NOT BETTER. THEY WILL DO NOTHING TO FIX THE PROBLEM EXCEPT SAY SORRY. THEY LEFT DUST AND DIRT EVERYWHERE AND DID NOT FIX THE HOLES IN THE CEILING. DO NOT USE

Description of Work
Reduce sound from ceiling

Work Completed On 02/16/2021

Review for Discount Energy Services - 1602 Belle View Blvd, Alexandria, VA - 39203798

09/18/2020

Magdalena S.

I believe our home is more comfortable. My only issue is that cellulose fiber coated everything in our attic and I'm still cleaning it off our stuff.

Description of Work
Air sealing and insulation

Work Completed On 02/01/2019

11/11/2019

Suraj A.

It went smooth from Pricing to Installation. The price from Discount Energy Services was better compared with other vendors.

Description of Work
Insulated Attic.

Work Completed On 08/26/2020

04/01/2019

Nicolas D.

I have mixed feelings about Discount Energy Services: Pros: they came and insulated our back room. It does feel warmer, and the price was reasonable. Cons: you need to be ready to repaint the room (see photos). They are quite slow and a bit amateurish. It tooks almost 4 weeks to just *schedule* them to come after I sent the $200 deposit check and they cashed it in. They already came 2 or 3 times, as opposed to the just one time they said they would. Finally, almost 6 months after start, there is still one part of the work that remains to be done, despite my many email requests. I'm giving up and will finish myself.

Description of Work
Wall and ceiling insulation

Work Completed On 01/02/2019

Review for Discount Energy Services - 1602 Belle View Blvd, Alexandria, VA - 37794034

03/17/2019

Kenneth M.

Was I able to turn my thermostat down 3 degrees? YES. I got what I paid for. That said, would I recommend, or ever do this again, absolutely, 1000% not. It ruined the house. My husband has spent the last two weekends properly spackling and sanding the walls, and I am working on painting every room in the house. So, is it worth the $3k difference than foam which would have preserved the interior because they worked from the outside? Nope. We would have spent the difference in a handyman and professional cleaning service to make up the difference, easily. Yes, this option is green. Yes, the workers who were on site were super polite. But overall, I have told everyone I know, this is NOT the way to go. Honestly, we had a friend over Friday and she was flabbergasted by the sight of the walls, like how could a company leave them in that condition??? Agreed, but then again, we paid $3k less than the competitor, and technically got what we paid for. Was it "spackled" and "paint ready"? Absolutely not. That is the biggest sticking point. The onsite workers told us this was what they were instructed to do and it would take too long to full-on spackle and make paint ready. Bottom-line: If you have a month to repair the damage, and don't have double-the-price to spend, do this. They accomplish what they said they do. Except it's not really what you want. The house is covered in dust. My mother in law is coming mid-April and I will be surprised if we get this all finished by then. This is just not a realistic way to leave someone's home. It's like a discount home building site and not hooking up the plumbing or electric - sure, it wasn't in the contract but it's sort of necessary...and FYI, "spackling" was in the contract but beware. They insert a foam plug in all of the 300 holes in the house with a light glue-stick like swab over top which is literally nothing worthy for paint-ready. I held off two weeks for writing this because I was so mad and I guess I'm still angry! Sorry all, but can't in good conscious recommend, not this company, but this product. Spend more up front and it will be worth the month's manual labor that you will otherwise be doing or paying for in addition to fixing your temperature situation.

Description of Work
Insulation replaced in our 40+ year old house

Work Completed On 03/05/2019

Review for Discount Energy Services - 1602 Belle View Blvd, Alexandria, VA - 37766648

12/04/2018

Gemma S.

Kevin and Nicole are the owners of this small company that insulated hundreds of homes in the DC area for a fraction of what larger companies are charging. They are also both quite personable and knowledgeable. It was easy to reach Nicole by phone and arrange a time for Kevin to come give an estimate. Kevin came and stayed while he worked up his estimate, chatting for a bit about the neighborhood. This compared to the gruff responses I got by other companies that wouldn’t even come look at my space until I was ready to sign a contract was one of the major reasons I chose Discount Energy Services. The other was, as the name implies, the incredibly low cost. It was less than half what I had received from at least two other companies. The day before or the day of, I would recommend DES call their customers. I called them the day of, unsure of the start time as well as parking. Everything worked out though, and Kevin’s two guys worked all day until about 8pm to finish the job. The main guy showed me the work and answered my questions upon completion. He also told me that it takes a little time for the insulation to settle, which I found to be true. We noticed more of a difference after a day or two. I would also recommend that DES call customers after the job to follow-up. I did this myself and had a nice talk with Nicole about other things we can do to minimize sound transferrance between our first floor and our English basement apartment. The insulation provided by DES does not completely cut out vibrational sound, nor would any insulation anyone could provide. Nicole had some great ideas for how I could take further steps. Overall, I would recommend Discount Energy Services. They do solid work with friendly, professional communication at affordable cost. Support small local businesses!

Description of Work
Sound insulation

Work Completed On 11/19/2018

05/30/2018

Chris D.

Went very well they were on time and had actually came several days earlier than originally quoted. House was kept clean and nothing noted after completion

Description of Work
Add insulation to attic

Work Completed On 05/25/2018

05/13/2018

Jonah W.

The company was wonderful. We always request estimates from multiple companies before hiring any contractor. Compared to the other companies with which we inquired, this company was one of the most responsive. They called us to set up the initial consultation within 48 hours, and was at our house to provide an estimate 24 hours after that. We set up the actual installation for later that same week. Price-wise, this company was VERY competitive. The quality of the work was excellent, as well. We live in a house that is almost 100 years old. As such, there was almost no insulation in large portions of the attic. It was a large job, and they were able to complete it in a single day. Overall, we highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Entire Attic Insulated

Work Completed On 05/13/2018

04/20/2018

Jennifer G.

We had a situation in our attic that you may also have in yours and not even know it. We were experiencing excess condensation on our master bathroom walls and couldn't figure out why. We were in the midst of getting paint estimates to paint the bathroom and the painters recommended we consult an electrician to see if we needed a new exhaust fan. One of the electricians suggested we have somebody come out and check the insulation in our attic. I contacted Discount Energy Services and, as it turns out, they offer free estimates. So far so good. They also turned out to be very responsive, reasonably priced and a pleasure to deal with! After looking in our attic, Kevin told us that we had some areas of our attic where there was NO insulation at all and other areas where the insulation had fallen down from the walls. The code has also changed since the insulation was originally installed in the early 90's. So we had it all remedied yesterday. They repaired the areas where the insulation had fallen down and upgraded to R49 insulation throughout our entire attic. Now it's up to code again. HUGE improvement already and no more condensation on our bathroom walls! The money we will save on our electric bills alone will pay for the new insulation within 4-5 years. We're only sorry we didn't do this sooner. Kevin, the owner, came out on installation day and walked his workers through the entire job. He also came back at the end of the job to make sure everything was done to our satisfaction. Kevin is a real stand up guy who is honest, personable and has great workers who were very respectful of our home and our belongings. They left no trace of ever being here and I have absolutely no reservations about recommending them highly!

Description of Work
Attic Insulation Install/Repair/Bring Up to Code

Work Completed On 04/18/2018

Review for Discount Energy Services - 1602 Belle View Blvd, Alexandria, VA - 36996840

03/20/2018

Joseph G.

Kevin was knowledgeable and explained the process well. Estimate was reasonable. Installer showed up on time and were very neat.

Description of Work
Add insulation to attic.

Work Completed On 03/19/2018

attic insulation, wall insulation, crawl space insulation, garage ceiling insulation, cathedral ceiling insulation, basement ceiling insulation, flat roof insulation, cape cod house insulation, insulation contractors, home insulation, blown insulation, Cellulose Fiber Insulation, Fiberglass Insulation, batt insulation, foam sealing, radiant barrier, attic ventilation, sound control, insulation removal

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check