Cosmos Heating & Cooling Co

Founded 1986 • With Angi since November 2008

Cosmos Heating & Cooling, a family owned business and now Best Selling author on Amazon of the following self-help book: Insider Secrets Of The HVAC Experts. They have been servicing the Northern Virginia area since it was founded in 1986 by Constantis “Gus” Christofi. The one man operation

A Service Provider's profile imageA Service Provider's profile imageHeat Exchanger Replacement

HVAC Companies (313)appliance repair (26)air duct cleaning (11)handyman (4)water heaters (3)plumbers (3)

11/13/2021

Jesse L.

I paid $200 to Cosmos for Gus and Carlos to inspect my system, tell me I had two failing valves, and recommend a full HVAC unit replacement (estimated at $6400-7400). Fortunately, I hired another company to give a 2nd opinion after and their tech found a minor refrigerant leak causing the the issue, repaired the leak, added more refrigerant, and solved the problem for just $500. That tech also confirmed that the valves Cosmos said were faulty were, in fact, just fine - and he showed me that they were working. Cosmos pulled a total scam job and I felt like an idiot for paying $200 for that service call. Of course, when I called to tell them what happened after they left and request that they stop payment, they immediately cashed the check and avoided my calls. Avoid this company despite the positive reviews!

Description of Work
Repair short-cycling HVAC system

Work Completed On 11/08/2021

[Member Name Removed]. we came to Haymarket Virginia on 11/08/2021 . we were there for inspection of 2 systems. One in the basement and one in the attic. The basement unit is a Gas furnace with a air conditioning unit outside. We inspected ,we cleaned it, we performed a 16 point check and have it ready for winter. The second unit in the attic is a heat pump. You said to us that you have no idea what you have and we educated you of what you have there and we even wrote on the disconnects which unit is for which floor. Heat pump for the second floor unit, was short cycling. We checked the refrigerant and WAS fine. Unit was fine on an air-conditioning mode. And you had no problem getting A/C. Switched to heating mode and your unit was making a noise and shutting down . ONCE YOU LOOSE THE FREON it can not work either heat or cool. We try this several times, and cooling was ok, but on heating mode the unit was short cycling. Reversing valves get stocked some times, in rare occasions reversing valves can work again . Time will show. We don't have miss calls from you, we don't have a voice message from you, we don't have an email from you. The check was cashed 3 days later. We only charged you for our time for 2 inspections, for basement unit and attic unit. Sorry you feel this way. Good luck to you with this Heat Pump.

05/01/2021

Kristin G.

In mid-2020, I hired the Cosmos team to replace a 20ish year old HVAC system. They recommended we replace our old electric only unit with a AC/heat pump combination, citing that it would save us money. Due to the pandemic, they were only able to source Trane manufactured units, not Carrier like they had in the past. We decided to move forward and once the system was installed, it would make a really loud grinding noise once in a while. For several months I tried to keep track of when the unit would make the noise -- often at 2 or 3AM. Plus, the system was running way more than it should have been. It was driving us crazy. Something was definitely not right. Without question, George and his team tried to help make it right. They consulted with their Trane rep frequently, followed his advice, and came out to our place multiple times to try troubleshooting it. After several months, they were finally able to persuade the Trane rep to replace the outdoor portion of the system. I felt bad that the Cosmos team had to spend so much of their own time finding a solution. My only critique would be not of Cosmos but of Trane. It seemed like we just got a busted unit to begin with. The system runs really well now and we're seeing lower electric bills. I'm grateful for Cosmos' professionalism and dedication to making things right.

Description of Work
New HVAC system

Work Completed On 07/01/2020

Dear Mrs. G***** Thank you for been understanding with the situation of the new air conditioning unit, We did followed with the manufacturer and after several weeks of negotiations they agreed to give you a new unit on the outdoor . We are happy that you gave us the good review and the nice words and will always appreciate good customers like you. . Thanks a lot and don't forget to try our # 1 book at Amazon. Its called INSIDER SECRETS OF THE HVAC ESPERTS. thanks a million .

01/14/2021

Lilly S.

My heater broke down early January and I had Cosmos come out to see what was wrong. HVAC unit needed replacing. They walked me through my options and gave me a fair price estimate and answered all of my questions. They were straightforward and easy to work. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Assess and Replaced hvac unit.

Work Completed On 01/11/2021

dear Mrs. S*** .Thanks for the wonderful rating and we thank you for the work that provided to us. We love customers like you and we value the good good words. We thank you and are so happy we were able to help you. Thanks.

12/20/2020

Chris T.

No problem with scheduling. I requested a quote and was contacted quickly to set up an appointment. The estimator arrived within the scheduled window and conducted a review of our current system and made verbal recommendations. The estimator mentioned that there may be an issue with availability of the unit he recommended and that he would follow up with us the next week with more info. No follow up. I called after one week and was told that they would get back to me right away with a quote. After two full weeks +, I have not been contacted or recieved a quote.

Description of Work
Estimate for a new A/C unite

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 12/20/2020

Mr. Thackson, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience. We spent nearly 3 days to find the right system that is in stock and ready for installation. Due to the Pandemic, inventory has been very low and we would have to wait for the equipment to be available. It has been like that since May of last year. We are usually responsive and it shows on our ratings and reviews. This was just a simple wait and see moment that we couldn't fix. Hope it gets better this year.

12/17/2020

Chris Y.

They were great. Responsive. Competitive on price. Honest.

Description of Work
New HVAC system

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 12/11/2020

Mr. Y****** Thank you so much for the opportunity to help you for your new system. we are grateful for work you provided to us and the good rating and inspiring words. Thanks a lot .Hopefully you and your tenants enjoy the new system for many years to come. God bless.

12/09/2020

Robert Q.

I suspected a problem with the furnace because of the exhaust odor and was very concerned about the safety of the system. Called Cosmos first thing in the morning and George came by between already scheduled appointments and determined the odor was normal carbon monoxide exhaust through the exterior vent and the unit was safe. Very impressed and am moving my annual HVAC maintenance contracts and any future work to Cosmos.

Description of Work
Furnace Inspection

Work Completed On 12/09/2020

Mr. Q********* . Thank you for the opportunity to help you and we thank you for the good rating and inspiring words. We are grateful to have you as our customer and will be service you for many years to come. Thanks a lot.

09/23/2020

Tom M.

Two technicians came and fixed the problem right away. Very friendly and professional. Pricing was fair. Communication was good. I think this company is excellent.

Description of Work
Boiler would not start

Work Completed On 09/23/2020

Mr. M****** thank you for the good rating and the good words, we at Cosmos are happy to serve customers like you. We are so grateful to serve you and being able to help. Thanks a lot .Thanks for the good rating.

08/20/2020

Kathleen M.

Wow, these guys are awesome! They responded quickly to our request for a proposal, came out with masks during covid, evaluated the situation without complaint (the a/c is in a really tight attic space and it was VERY hot) and gave us a reasonable proposal. They got the work done very shortly after we accepted the proposal. When they arrived to do the work, they were meticulous about putting down protective sheets on the floors and keeping their masks on the whole time, despite the heat. They got the job done the same day and were at all times professional. My husband and I felt very confident using this company. I highly recommend Cosmos!

Description of Work
We needed our ancient a/c replaced

Work Completed On 08/10/2020

Mr. and Mrs. M***** Thank you for the wonderful review and the nice comments such as ,REASONABLE,METICULOUS,PROFESIONAL , ETC. We want to thank you for the excellent Rating and customers like you we love to take care. Don't forget to check our #1 selling book at Amazon .com. We are happy only when our customers are happy. Thanks. a million.

08/02/2020

Tim S.

excellent, cleaned AC and blower, got us back in cool temps a day earlier than promised.

Description of Work
AC stopped working.

Work Completed On 08/02/2020

Mr. S****** thank you for the good review and the wonderful rating. We would love to serve you again and again and we always try our best keep our services Prompt, Fast and Professional .thanks a lot God bless you .

07/30/2020

JUNE G.

George came out and did a quick fix that slowed the flow of water, but determined that it either needed repair or replacement. Since the unit was 17 years old, I opted to have it replaced. Gus came out the next day with a new air handler and removed the old unit and replaced it with the new one. They did it far more quickly than I anticipated, and now everything works perfectly.

Description of Work
Air Handler was spewing water. Needed repair/replace

Work Completed On 07/29/2020

MRS. G************* Thank you so very much for this wonderful review and the excellent rating. it is always with a great pleasure to work with customers like yourself who understands the values of COSMOS HEATING AND COOLING . We thank you for the business but we are more appreciative for the good review. MONEY COME AND GO, BUT A GOOD NAME STAYS FOR LONG. Thanks a 1000000 .

07/20/2020

Tim S.

Excellent. Gus and team showed up a day earlier than expected and quickly cleaned our unit getting us back to s cool environment on a 100 degree day

Description of Work
A/C wasn't working properly

Work Completed On 07/20/2020

Mr. T** S**********,thanks for the good rating and the nice words, we always try to get as many customers as we can, because we feel bad when our customers are not comfortable, that's why we sometimes put 14 or more hours a day. Our motto is " your safety and comfort is in our hands and we are not comfortable until you are," and we mean it .Thanks a lot .

07/18/2020

Victoria S.

A/c was not working. They identified the problem and fixed it

Description of Work
A/C was not working. They identified the problem and fixed it

Work Completed On 06/24/2020

Mrs. V***** S*****, thanks for the good review .It is a warm feeling to know that we have nice customers like you. We came, we identified , we fixed and out of there in a few . Job done. thanks. again . God bless you.

07/16/2020

Wendy J.

Cosmos Heating & Cooling was fantastic. My air conditioner was not working. They came out the next day and advised me that my 30 year old system needed replacement. They managed to clean off the ice so the system kept going over night and I was comfortable in 90 degree heat. They were able to find a replacement (Furnace and A/C) despite being in very short supply due to pandemic. They were able to install the very next day. The price was extremely fair and they even gave me a new thermostat free of charge. They were professional, responsive, fair and honest, and incredible to work with. I highly recommend them! Thank you for taking care of this in this heat wave!!

Description of Work
Replacement of HVAC System

Work Completed On 07/16/2020

Mrs. W***** J****** , thank you for the good rating and the inspiring words that you used , Such as FAIR,PROFESIONAL,RESPONSIVE,HONEST,AND TAKING CARE OF YOU. THATS Exactly what we do every day. and we all thank you for all that . Please don't forget to check our #1 selling book at AMAZON.COM called "INSIDER SECRETS OF THE HVAC EXPERTS. " THANKS A MILLIOLN

06/25/2020

Leigh M.

Very polite, informative and efficient. Called Friday Came Monday Returned Thursday to put part in,

Description of Work
A/C Repair- coils frozen

Work Completed On 06/15/2020

Thanks for the wonderful review we do appreciate good customers like you, Don't forget to check our # 1 selling book on called .....'"INSIDER SECRETS OF THE HVAC EXPERTS "' THANKS, A LOT

03/21/2020

Ali M.

Way way beyond expectations. Our water heater stopped working. The wires had overheated, melted the cover, and corroded the panel, the wires themselves, and dessimated the surrounding styrofoam. I called at 10 PM he called back within minutes it was at our house before 9 AM the next day. He fixed it on the spot and charged hundreds less than I expected. he gave me tips on what might reduce the risk of this happening again in the future. When I asked him about replacing the water heater he said it probably does not have to be done now and gave me a realistic expectations about what it would cost and when it would be wisest to reconsider this. he was honest and extremely helpful and I never felt like he was trying to push me into making any decisions other than the right ones. I cannot express how thankful I am.

Description of Work
Water heater

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

Work Completed On 03/20/2020

Mrs. A*** M***** thanks a lot for the inspiring and warm hart felt words that you used in this review . I love customers like you and the nice words that you use here .WE TREAT ALL CUSTOMERS WITH RESPECT AND ALWAYS PUT THE CUSTOMER IN OUR SHOES, WE WORK WITH YOU AS IF YOU WERE MY FAMILY, and thank you for your kind words . God bless.

02/24/2020

MARK G.

They are excellent, very helpful and responsive.

Description of Work
They did a heating and AC maintenance.

Work Completed On 11/24/2019

Mr. G***** thanks a lot for the excellent review .It is with great satisfaction and warm feeling to know that a customer is happy and satisfied, we work so hard for this kind of a review and we will always try to give the best service possible. Thanks a lot and don't forget to check our # 1 selling book at amazon .com Its called """""INSIDER SECRETS OF THE HVAC EXPERTS""""" THANKS A MILLION

02/23/2020

Annie N.

The world of home repair is populated by ruthless rapscallions who would take financial advantage of a family who came home on a frigid Friday night to a 60 degree house and four very cold sphynx cats who were racing from vent to vent in hopes of warmth. (Furnaces and children will always get sick on a Friday night). Cosmos Heating is an honest operator - a truly rare find in the industry. I was going to tough it out until Monday because I've never found a repair service who had office hours on weekends. AND If you are lucky enough to find a repairman, you can count on price gouging for the services. Our old Heat/AC guy retired years ago and I was stuck with no referrals, so I went to Angie's List to get a lead. I chose Cosmos for a few reasons. 1. The owner answered his own phone. 2. He had weekend hours and was here within a couple of hours from when I called. 3. He didn't charge a ridiculous price for coming out on Saturday. 4. A credible review from Dec 9 mentioned Diogenes from Greek myth and, well, that clinched it. (I love mythology) Turned out it was a very minor fix, no parts needed. The furnace unit is fine, the hairless cats are thawed out, and we went from freezing to toasty in a few hours. He was honest in his diagnosis and repair and has earned my respect and my business.

Description of Work
Furnace was functional, but not providing heat.

Work Completed On 02/22/2020

Mrs. A*** N****** . thanks for the inspiring and beautiful review ,you posted here and we love to help people like you,. We love the customers that send positive energy through the phone , and when you open the door ,I felt you good vibes. That's what the overworking and tired service people need to continue for so many hour a day, trying to help customers without heat or A/C. WE thank you for the opportunity to serve you and thank you for the good rating,. WE ARE COMFORTABLE ONLY WHEN YOU ARE COMFORTABLE.. Thanks.

12/27/2019

Diana W.

They are excellent and go above and beyond. They have been very reliable, professional and are very knowledgeable. We would highly recommend them and we will definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
We have been using them for several years for heating and ac needs. They have installed our system as well.

Work Completed On 12/27/2019

Mrs D*** W*******. thank you for your kind words like EXCELLENT-RELIABLE-PROFESSIONAL AND KNOWLEDGEABLE.I am also happy that we took care of your heating unit and now you are warm and comfortable. and thats what matters to us the most. Don't forget to check our number one selling book at amazon .com . its calle ""INSIDER SECRETS OF THE HVAC EXPERTS""" Thank you and god bless.

12/10/2019

Mike S.

Better than I could possibly have hoped. Diogenes is said to have roamed the earth with a lantern searching in vain for an honest man. He should have just called Cosmos. Our furnace failed and another contractor came out and told us it would either be $1600 to get a part or two and then there could be more because he couldn’t diagnose in full without fixing that part. Or, $4500 for a replacement furnace. Cosmos came out to give me a second quote, took a look at the part, realized it was merely jammed and fixed it on the spot for far less. They have definitely earned my trust and will be getting my repeat business. Wish there were something above "A" that I could give as a rating!

Description of Work
Quote for new furnace

Work Completed On 12/09/2019

Dear M****** SH***** . i am so thrill i can not contain my emotions ,when i read this review . I have been in business for more than 35 years and i can honestly tell you that this is the most flattering one i received so far. I thank you from the bottom of my hart for this and i hope i can have you as my customer for a long time.The story goes like this : When they asked ALEXANDER THE GREAT , what he wanted to be if he was not that powerful , the king replied.I WANT TO BE DIOGENES , AND THEY SAID TO HIM. NO, GIVE US SOMETHING ELSE and the king said again.I WANT TO BE DIOGENES. If someone ask me what i want to be ,i will say ,I JUST WANT BE ME. I am comfortable with my self and i will not change ,because at the end of the day all it matters to me is to have a happy and satisfied customers. THANKS A MILLION.

10/25/2019

Laura D.

Mr. Cosmos and his son checked my two year old heating system and a mini-split. They also checked my water heater that I thought might need to be drained. They worked quickly and answered my questions. They showed me the discolored water that came out of the water heater. Then they drained some more water which came out clear. Luckily the water heater did not need draining yet. During the time they were working I remembered that I have a BBQ that I could not get connected to the attachment on the gas meter. He quickly got the line from the BBQ connected. Then he gave me some advice about the BBQ. Mr. Cosmos was very patient in answering my questions. He and his son worked quickly and did not try to rip me off. After I get my siding replaced I will hire them again to run a copper line for my BBQ.

Description of Work
Heating system and mini-split checkup and he checked out a BBQ that connects to the house gas. Also, checked a two year old water heater.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

Work Completed On 10/24/2019

Mrs. M***** D********we are so happy to hear that you like the work we did and we thank you so very much for the nice words and the wonderfull rating . We, at cosmos team are always eager to help you and all our good customers to the best of our abilitity . At the end of the day all it matters to us is a satisfied customer , and as i said many times before with us you feel like a family and we treat you like a family . We THANK YOU for serving our country , and keep us safe. God bless.

08/16/2019

Robin W.

I had a busy week at work and could not take more time off. I needed someone that day. Cosmos had had a cancellation and fit me in that morning. They found the problem quickly and were able to replace a part. They were thorough and checked all the various components. They were great and I will contact them next spring when I need preventive maintenance.

Description of Work
My HVAC was blowing out warm air

Work Completed On 08/06/2019

Mrs. R**** W***** .we appreciate the good review and the excellent rating . We work hard for this and we always try our best to keep our good customers safe and comfortable year round . As we always say, Your safety and comfort is our #1 priority and we are not comfortable until You Are, because we care . thanks a lot good bless.

08/12/2019

Marc M.

Cosmos arrived next day I called to inspect my broken A/C. They arrived in morning and tried multiple potential solutions until determining 20-year old condenser and coils in indoor fan needed to be replaced. The cost was extremely fair and they completed the job on schedule and quickly. They were really great. This is second time I used them and would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Inspect and replace A/C condenser

Work Completed On 07/25/2019