Chimera Construction LLC

Founded 2006 • With Angi since May 2011

2717 S 1000 E

Salt Lake City, UT 84106

You bring the vision, we bring the tools and expertise to build it. Our philosophy is to never stop evolving, never stop learning. Our dedication is to quality, durability, and adaptability in the pursuit of YOUR vision; we commit to never compromising these principles in our approach to your

05/22/2020

Alex C.

Travis and his team did an excellent job remodeling our entire home under very tight deadlines; always going the extra mile for their client; true professionals expert at what they do. We strongly recommend them!

Description of Work
Complete house remodel

Category custom cabinets, carpet installation, ceramic tile, concrete repair, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, hardwood floor, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, skylights, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

11/28/2019

Carson S.

No contact from your contact company. Bad, bad and more bad

Description of Work
They never called, texted or emailed me, so I found someone else and the job is done.

Category fireplaces

01/15/2019

Sidra G.

Feel so lucky that you have found Travis and Chimera Construction. You honestly can't make a better choice for a general contractor and rennovation team. Travis is honest to a fault, communicative and responsive and very talented. Initially I passed up Travis in the "compare a bunch of bids" phase as the only option to work with Trav included custom made kitchen cabinets and I didn't want to spend the money. I chose a different contractor and it started off so horribly that I the came back to Travis pretty much begging for him to reconsider my project. I couldn't be happier with how our family ski home of the last 30 years looks and feels. Those kitchen cabinets that I initially didn't want to shell out the money for I'm beyond glad I antied up. They scream CUSTOM with Travis' eye for detail orienting the hickory wood to flow accross the multiple cabinet units

Description of Work
Everything: Full scale remodel, kitchen gut, 3 remodeled bathrooms

Category custom cabinets, contractors, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, fireplaces, custom furniture, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing

07/03/2018

Sarah N.

I wanted to create an open kitchen/space in my old condo unit. Travis was professional and responsive- he was flexible with me as I opted to do the painting myself and his team was helpful in the process. His guys worked clean and fast, the job was completed start to finish in one month. There are a few things (as it's been almost four months since) that could be adjusted/touched up but I am overall happy with the outcome.

Description of Work
Kitchen Renovation

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, drywall, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

03/15/2018

stephanie H.

I had Travis come to my house to do a bid for remodeling two bathrooms, and after he sent the bid to me he stopped communicating completely. I sent multiple emails and texts trying to set up a time to finalize the bid and discuss details, and he didn't return any of them. Ghosting? Really? No serious professional does this if they want to stay in business, particularly one that relies on word-of-mouth. If you don't have the time for my project or just don't want to do it anymore, say so. At least his flakiness manifested before the project started, rather than halfway through it. Still a frustrating waste of time.

Description of Work
Remodel of two bathrooms

Category home remodeling

02/20/2018

Shane V.

Chimera completely rebuilt the bathroom in my basement top to bottom, could not be happier with the results. Travis spent time with me making sure I was happy with every detail, and Tyler went above and beyond to make sure every detail was perfect. I hope to have my kitchen done in the near future, and can not wait to do business with Chimera again.

Description of Work
Remodel bathroom

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, hardwood floor, remodeling, replacement windows, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

02/19/2018

Tracy A.

I was impressed with the guys. Trav gave me a bid and drawings that I could afford and was prompt. The cabinets and install went frankly perfect. I was so impressed that I got a bid on a utility room downstairs that was very dated. Again the process went well. The combined jobs was more than i initially had planned to spend but the service was professional and I went for both.

Description of Work
I needed complete kitchen remodel including cabinets, new floor tile plus some demo and rebuild.

Category custom cabinets, remodeling, home remodeling

11/27/2017

Theresa D.

We underwent a kitchen remodel the summer/fall of 2017 with Chimera Construction. We are pleased with our experience and finished product. Travis and the team were great at discussing pros and cons of various elements of the kitchen allowing us to make informed decisions every step of the way, including when we decided to go with a significant change to the project. We appreciated the openness and honesty throughout the design, construction and finishing process. All employees and sub-contractors were respectful and true craftsmen. It was very comfortable having them in the house, as we were living in the house during the remodel. The craftsmanship of the custom cabinetry is top of the line and is sure to be a lasting statement in our home. The project took a little longer than estimated, but we were in constant communication throughout. The quoted cost was the actual cost. We highly recommend Chimera and would use them for future projects.

Description of Work
We gutted the kitchen to completely remodel and opened walls.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, picture framing, hardwood floor, insulation, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

09/06/2016

Jared G.

No work was actually completed. This review is solely based on the initial communications with Travis. I was referred to him by a drafting company and after searching for his company on Angieslist I was surprised with the plethora of great reviews. This confirmed that I wanted to inquire some pricing for a significant project that I am doing. I initially called three times throughout a week with no response until after the third call when I left a vm indicating that if he could let me know if he has time for my project or if he is too busy with existing work and I can look elsewhere. Travis finally called me back and apologized. We had a good discussion about my basement project and he indicated that what I am looking for was "right up his ally and he is interested." We talked about when I wanted to have the work done and I said I dont have any deadline and could wait for a few weeks or months. He said he would not be able to get to it until 2017, to-which, I said that was fine. He asked me to email him, which I did, and we would meet the following week. Another week went by and I inquired with him when he wanted to come look at the house and I didnt get any response. I called again the next week and sent another email and no response. I called midweek and he answered but asked to call me back when he was in the office. I heard back from him a few days later telling me he didnt have time to do my project. Travis, You obviously do great work as shown with your reviews. I am saddened that you wont be able to ***** my project but that is understandable. I would ask that you improve your communication skills, I know you're busy, but other people are also trying to rely on you for items and times. Especially once you commit to something and then back out after leaving me in the dark for a few weeks.

Description of Work
Structural Beam, wall demolitions, electrical, framing, footings, and casings.

Category drywall, electrician, picture framing, insulation, remodeling

10/23/2015

RUSSELL N.

I would not recommend this company. If they cannot return calls I would look elsewhere for you remodeling needs......

Description of Work
Absolutely nothing............Called three times and left voice mail requesting a call back to set up appointment for bid to add bathroom and bedroom in my basement. No return calls........Terrible customer service.

09/18/2015

Traci K.

Working with Chimera Construction was hands down the best contractor experience we have ever had. We had both our kitchen and upstairs bathroom remodeled at the same time. Because of the major changes of moving walls and new plumbing, electrical, and cabinetry we made the decision to move out. Chimera promised they would have us back into our home as soon as possible, and they were true to their word; we moved back in 7 weeks later. Chimera had someone on site every work day, and most of the time there were three or four of the Chimera crew here. The owners, Travis and Tyler, communicated so well with us throughout the project - making sure they understood what we wanted and getting designs to us, setting a start date (they met it!), asking about details as they came up, and making sure we were happy with the results of each phase. They have an eye for detail, and are great at communicating ideas and options. There was never a call or text that we made that went unanswered. Chimera also builds their own cabinetry instead of using a cabinet shop, and we are so pleased with them. In the bathroom, they needed to match some existing hallway cabinetry, and the color came out perfect. I'd also like to say that Travis and Tyler don't cut corners like so many contractors do. They go above and beyond to make sure construction is sound and every detail is finished. When people see the photos of our finished kitchen and bathroom, the usual response is "It looks like it's from a magazine." When friends and family come by for the first time since the remodel, they are astounded when they walk in. Seriously beautiful work from an awesome company. Thank you Travis, Tyler and the Chimera crew. We will be a long-term customer.

Description of Work
Kitchen and Bath remodels

Category custom cabinets, contractors, countertops, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

05/23/2015

Tonia T.

Travis and Tyler do a great job in all aspects. Their guys, Charlie and others are a pleasure to work with, conscientious and address any concern I have and are very helpful. They work in a safe manner, however,(and my only concern) I wish they'd wear dust masks in extremely dusty conditions They promptly, gave me a detailed bid. arrived with good quality materials, when they said they would and completed each faze of work in a timely manner. Travis communicates well, stays in touch, and talks-over ideas and possibilities with me to help me make decisions. They worked around and with plumber,tiler, and floor refinisher, that I had hired separately. Tyler recognized that one wall of original framing, was out-of-plumb, and therefore, wouldn't sheet-rock nicely. Travis informed me, let me decide what to do, and replaced the wall with little additional cost.. I hope to use them to do the other side of my house.

Description of Work
First, they redid the terrible internal framing (substandard materials, not level headers, bad joints, sloppy nailing etc of first contractor. The difference in quality of work was immediately apparent. They recognized where additional support for old ceiling joists was necessary and installed them to meet code specifications. Then they rewired the whole small house, installed lighting, put up sheet-rock, constructed closet shelves, painted, installed doors and a sun tunnel, trimmed windows, doors and bases; then painted the trim. Finally they cut and installed a butcher block countertop

Category custom cabinets, contractors, countertops, drywall, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

02/15/2015

Sara J B.

Chimera Construction Travis and Tyler and all those that work with them are tops. We have finally found the "Dream Team" with Chimera Construction LLC. We have had multiple projects they have done, all of which has turned out great. We have enjoyed the process as all of them are hard working, detail oriented, efficient, clean, polite, conscientious and cordial. All jobs have been completed when we agreed. They can take care of any large home construction or any size job needs you may have. One call to Travis and he says, "Yes we can take care of that." And he does. Thank you.

Description of Work
Built Bathroom Sauna. Deck rebuild Garage repair. Stone path. Electrical and plumbing. Fence surrounding property. Sheetrock. Painting exterior/interior. Other home maintenance repairs.

Category concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

02/13/2015

Amy B.

Travis was extremely reliable and professional throughout the entire process. The bid was done in a timely fashion, and he was able to incorporate multiple employees ideas into the project without skipping a beat. He immediately had an eye for the overall layout and symmetry of the design and offered good solutions to our tight space constraints. He was willing to work around our clinic schedule, which was a must given our line of work. He was able to minimize disruption to our usual work flow by having the cabinets/supplies ready in advance, which limited the time needed for his crew to be in our office. He and his crew literally came in and overhauled our workspace within a few days. There was no "running back and forth" to finish up things; the project was done right the first time. The results were wonderful.

Description of Work
We needed to improve our workspace at our clinic. Chimera construction removed our old workstations in 4 patient rooms and provided custom cabinets equipped with sinks and computer stations. They also added extensive custom cabinetry to our clinicians' office space.

Category custom cabinets, plumbing, remodeling

01/27/2015

Todd H.

We were looking for a contractor to handle a few projects for us, the largest of which was a remodel of our Master Bath. We had 3 different contractors meet with us and provide bids, and selected Chimera because Travis listened to our requests, provided a detailed estimate, and took the time to show us 2 other bathroom remodels Chimera had recently completed. The vanity was important to us and Chimera set themselves apart with their custom built solutions; all of the units were very nice and utilized quality hardware for the hinges and drawer slides. Travis was flexible in allowing us to do the demolition, which gave us the ability to have that money go toward other areas of the remodel project. We recommend Chimera construction, and plan to use them the next time we need help with a project.

Description of Work
Full Master Bath remodel which involved moving a wall, building a full custom vanity, shower, tile work etc. Created access to crawl space area under the utility room to reroute plumbing that would freeze in the winter Spray foam insulation under utility room and all sill plates of the home Custom linen cabinet built and installed in 2nd bath

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, insulation, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

01/18/2015

Colour F M.

Chimera Construction did an amazing job on our new deck. We love it. They were great to work with and their price quote was accurate. They have helped us in the past with a bathroom remodel as well that we still love years later. I think Travis and Tyler, the owners of Chimera Construction, are very skilled craftsmen and anyone would be lucky to have them work on their project. One other note, we have had people in the past work on our home that I didn't fully trust leaving alone in our house but I never felt that way with these guys.

Description of Work
Built out new deck off of the back of our house

01/12/2015

Brooke A.

I am an interior designer. I use Chimera construction for all my projects, commercial and residential. I always know that I will get a great result with Chimera. Everyone that works for Chimera spends the time to do things well and with attention to detail.Travis, the general contractor, has amazing communication skills. He takes the time to explain things in detail and makes sure that everything is exactly the way you want it. I would highly recommend this company for any construction, remodel, cabinetry, funiture that you might want. You will not be disappointed!

Description of Work
remodel

01/05/2015

Amy P.

We hired Chimera to finish our attached garage. This included sheet rocking, door replacement and some concrete work. Their sheet rocker did a quick and beautiful job. In order to install our new steel door, the cement steps into the garage had to be redone. This was done before we even got home from work, and looks great. They were able to tie the new cement into our 50 year old existing steps seamlessly. We have used these guys numerous times for all kinds of projects, from a complete kitchen remodel, to installing a water heater. They are always responsive, knowledgeable and very trust-worthy. We never hesitate to give them our house keys. We have what seems to be an endless list of projects for this old house, and will use Chimera again without a worry.

Description of Work
Garage sheet rocking, door replacement, concrete work.

Category concrete repair, drywall, plumbing, remodeling, water heater repair, home remodeling, doors

01/05/2015

Marie D.

We would highly recommend this company! This was our very first experience with a remodeling project and we are so happy we chose Chimera Construction. They were helpful in walking us through the process and were always available to answer our questions. They offered suggestions in where to purchase materials such as tile, custom quartz countertops and fixtures so that we were able to get quality materials at a good price. Their craftsmanship is AMAZING! The custom vanity they built in our main bathroom is absolutely beautiful and functions great for our family. We chose classic white subway tile on our shower surrounds with a gray grout, which would be so easy to see any imperfections from the installer, but it all looks so great and was done in a timely manner. They also helped us with all the little things we needed such as ceiling vents/fans in the bathrooms and they even helped us put in a proper dryer vent in our laundry room. Everyone on their team is friendly, professional and helpful. They were very respectful of our home and took extra precautions in keeping our space as clean as possible during the process. After their job was done they were so great to check in with us a week later to see that we were happy with the work that was done and if there was anything they needed to come back and help us out with. We were so impressed with Chimera construction - we plan on using them again when we remodel our kitchen!

Description of Work
Chimera construction did a complete demo and remodel of our main bathroom and master bathroom. They designed and built the custom vanity with built in step stools in our main bathroom that is used by our 2 kids.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, electrician, remodeling, woodworking, ceiling fans, home remodeling, dryer vent cleaning

07/17/2014

SANDI B.

I was very happy with the outcome of the project. The master bath is beautiful. Travis was very responsive and was good to follow through with all requests. I was pleased to find that he is also a good decorator, he was helpful in picking out the tile, cabinet style and wood, and colors for paint etc. I feel that he did a quality job and would recommend the company for similar jobs.

Description of Work
Remodel of Master Bath

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

05/24/2014

DAVID M.

Travis Grob came out to give us a bid, was very professional. He was extremely patient while answering our questions, & provided the estimate in a timely manner. While the timing between our schedules did not allow us to begin the work with him at this time, having gone through this much of the process, & getting what we felt was a reasonable bid from Chimera Construction, I would not hesitate to call them again on another project.

Description of Work
complete kitchen, and 2 bathroom remodel.

04/03/2014

Melissa D.

Their service was alright. Gary was easy to get along with but I was not here for most of the construction. Some of it I was not happy with. I got a couple of bids and they were all high, but the work he did was very minimal for what I felt like it should have cost. The quality was not very good, but he responded pretty quick. I was not here for the construction so I did not get to see what they were doing, but every time we had a meeting he was on time. He was professional.

Description of Work
I used Chimera Construction to frame up some walls, do the insulation and drywall and do a little bit of electrical.

Category drywall, electrician, picture framing, insulation

Chimera construction was not involved in this project . We do not have a Gary

03/24/2014

Nola S.

I think they actually did satisfactory work for our neighbors down the block, but I was completely frustrated by the fact that I called them again and again and they never got back to me with even "sorry - we're too busy now to even make an appointment to give you an estimate". That should be common business courtesy!

Description of Work
not respond

01/17/2014

Adam R.

Last summer we purchased a 100-year-old craftsman bungalow in the Sugar House neighborhood of Salt Lake City. We liked the house, but loved the neighborhood. The main level of the home had been remodeled and was very livable, but the basement looked like the place where Freddie Kruger spent his childhood. It was nasty to say the least. During the demolition phase, we discovered that the main structural beam, holding up the house, had major termite damage and would have to be replaced. This would be the first snag in the project! Travis Grob, Co-Owner of Chimera Construction, consulted with a structual engineer and within a week, we had a technical design to replace the rotten beam with a steel I-Beam. This allowed us to open up the tiny space even more than we had planned in the original layout. Every square inch of space counted in this project and nothing was wasted or overlooked. The project had to be permitted through Salt Lake City, and this was no simple task. It took three reviews to get the city to sign-off on the design and issue the permits. Chimera Construction was adimant about having the permits in-hand before we started the project. How many contractors do you know who play by the rules of the local city planning commssion? Each phase of the construction process was plagued with set backs that had to be resolved ASAP to keep the project moving forward. Chimera Construction kept us informed and would give us the options we had to work with, and they made sure we stayed on budget. There was no surprises, or hidden cost overrides throughout the 95 day project. All of the subcontractors that Chimera Construction has partnered with excel at their trade and they take pride in their work. Not to mention, they are all family-orientated young men who work hard for their paycheck. If you are considering a renovation, remodel or a new construction project, get a bid from them, they're not cheap, but they do outstanding work!

Description of Work
Total Basement Renovation. This project, while small in size was very complex in scope. It involved structural engineering issues, completely re-plumbing and re-wiring the home. We also designed & built a new bathroom, new laundry area, new family room, and added built-in custom cabinets. We had Chimera Construction retro-fit new windows into the home, install a new CAT5 & Coaxial data delivery system, and a complex HVAC system. All of the framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and finish carpentry were above our expectations.

Category custom cabinets, drywall, electrician, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling

12/13/2013

Lynne R.

After getting three bids from companies recommended on Angie's LIst I chose Chimera Construction to do the work. They were not the lowest bid but they were worth every penny. Their general contractor, Travis Grob, was wonderful. He listened carefully and worked to make sure everything was just the way I wanted it. Every morning he contacted me to let me know what work was going to be done that day and the names of the workers who were coming to my home. Every subcontractor that came was punctual, did excellent work, was very polite, and cleaned up carefully after themselves. Travis frequently had them send pictures of their work to him before they left to make sure it was done to his satisfaction. The new cherry wood bathroom vanity is beautiful, the tile work on the enlarged shower was excellent. Everything that was done paint, lighting, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and fixtures turned a terribly out dated tiny bathroom into my new spa-like master bathroom. I have heard remodel horror stories. My experience was the opposite of that. I can recommend Chimera Construction without any reservations.

Description of Work
A complete bathroom remodel.