The Carpenter's Hand

Founded 2000 • With Angi since May 2011

Independently owned contractor specializing in bathroom & kitchen remodeling. We are trained to handle any phase of construction but specialize in kitchen and bathroom remodeling. Even if you just need some advice please feel free to call any time....

home remodeling (116)tile installation (48)cabinet makers (41)plumbers (38)countertop installation (38)marble & granite (33)drywall (31)woodworking (30)electrician (26)flooring (24)interior painting (21)lighting (20)

08/11/2022

Andrea A.

Very personable owner and crew. The estimation process and price was good. They had a lot of experience working with insurance claims. The issue came when I wanted to do some small extra improvements out of my own pocket. Getting revised WRITTEN quotes or invoices was not an option. Verbal quotes would be given but nothing ever written down. Then the final invoice was presented and we had to negotiate through it...not fun for either of us. The workmanship was solid but a couple of deliverables I asked for during our first meeting and followed up on several times were not accomplished when the best opportunity to address them was there (i.e. needed a second outlet on opposite side of twin cabinet. The perfect time to wire that was when old granite was removed and the wall behind the cabinet exposed...but they didn't do then and the quote to do it after that was too high...even though it was discussed several times.) There seemed to be a breakdown in communication between what the owner committed to and what instructions were given to the crew. Appropriately, the crew was not going to do something that their boss has not told them to do. It was a frustrating remodel in the regard, but I love the bathroom now.

Description of Work
May - June 2020: I had a leak in my shower pan so I took the opportunity to enlarge the shower stall, put in a new jet tub, new tile and granite.

Category ceramic tile, countertops, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/11/2020

11/09/2021

Marsha C.

They did a wonderful job. Beautiful cabinets in a timely fashion. Jeff is easy to work with, as is Keith. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
New build kitchen and bath cabinets

Category bathtub refinishing, custom cabinets

Work Completed On 11/09/2021

03/03/2021

Reginald B.

I contacted Jeff in July 2020 for an estimate on a bathroom remodel. He was able to make it out to my house later that day and provide a pretty good estimate considering we didn’t know the exact details of what we wanted just the layout. Jeff was very friendly and upfront about how much he charged for everything. After thinking about it for a week we decided to go with them and get on the schedule. My wife was pregnant at the time and Jeff was very accommodating to schedule the job prior to her due date which was in September. His crew did an outstanding job from demoing to completing the bathroom. His team even made suggestions for the design as they were building it out that surpassed what we had envisioned. During the process his team found issues and mistakes made by our builder which they corrected. Jeff was always upfront on any additional costs throughout the project and always asked before proceeding. In the end we went over budget but that was our fault for not knowing exactly what we wanted to do when we started the project. My advice if you can get as much completed on design and materials ahead of time the better. We will hire them in the future for other projects.

Description of Work
Master Bathroom Remodel

Work Completed On 08/17/2020

Review for The Carpenter's Hand - 5318 Chestnut View, San Antonio, TX - 39225266

07/24/2020

Lynn C.

Jeff Bryson and his team of Keith and Paul did an outstanding job on my cabinet reconfiguration! They are obviously perfectionists and corrected a stain color differential right away, working tirelessly on the entire project until they got it right. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Pantry had to be gutted and inside tiered shelf units replaced with shelf drawers; ice maker removed and replaced with three drawers.

Category custom cabinets, woodworking

Work Completed On 07/23/2020

Review for The Carpenter's Hand - 5318 Chestnut View, San Antonio, TX - 38746323

07/09/2020

Pedro R.

There was issues with the previous wall being uneven, the worker was very well experienced and was able to blend the uneven wall smooth!!!!

Description of Work
Taped and float led a wall

Category drywall, basement waterproofing

Work Completed On 07/09/2020

06/18/2020

Martha L.

Jeff and I were "on the same page" right from the start. He gave me a time frame and said they wouldn't start tearing things down until they were ready to re-install. I had chosen a sink that was delayed in being delivered because of COVD-19. He worked with us on that and got everything done within the time frame he had given us. All of his workers were professional and conscientious. Jeff stayed on top of the work and made sure everything was "just right". Jeff and his crew were a delight to work with. They will be our "go to" remodelers from now on.

Description of Work
remodeled small guest half bath

Category basement waterproofing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/18/2020

Aaron S.

Work was great. There was great communication throughout the entire process. The workers were very courteous and professional while they were on the job. The finished product was exactly what I wanted and looked exactly how I hope it would.

Description of Work
Turned my kitchen cabinets into drawers.

Category custom cabinets

Work Completed On 05/29/2020

Tom R.

They did an excellent job fixing, replacing, securing a kitchen cabinet (holding a Microwave oven) that fell down.

Description of Work
Repair kitchen cabinet

Category contractors, electrician, handyman service, woodworking, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 05/30/2020

Pamela B.

He came out, looked at the job and provided an estimate. He seems very direct and down to Earth and we are waiting on the contract.

Description of Work
Redo shower to include fixing a drain problem, new vanity and wall cabinet, light fixture, ceiling fan, redo closet. paint, remove popcorn

Work Completed On 06/11/2020

06/05/2020

Amy P.

I'm very pleased with the work that was done. I was having trouble finding someone who would take the job. The Carpenter's Hand folks were more than willing to come out and get my kitchen cabinet reattached to the wall and make it safe to use again.

Description of Work
Kitchen cabinet pulling away from wall and needed to be reattached to make it safe and usable again.

Category woodworking

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

05/04/2020

Michael C.

Excellent craftsmanship.Work completed on time. Looking forward to next project.

Description of Work
Install and manufacture kitchen cabinet doors and drawers

Category custom cabinets, basement waterproofing, woodworking, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 04/17/2020

05/02/2020

Alan J.

The guys were awesome and did a fast job with the work. Came out just the way we discussed and has been the difference we needed to make the backyard wonderful.

Description of Work
Covered Patio

Category basement waterproofing, sunrooms

Work Completed On 09/11/2019

04/15/2020

Dwayne C.

Jeff and his crew did an outstanding job. He was prompt and professional. When problems arose, he immediately responded with great service. I would use him again.

Description of Work
Tile Work and Bathroom Redone

Category bathtub refinishing, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/22/2019

04/02/2020

robert R.

Very professional work at a reasonable price. They also repaired work that was left over by a previous carpenter for no extra charge. I would definitely recommend them and I will hire them again.

Description of Work
Chest drawers and shelves in 2 closets.

Category woodworking, home remodeling

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

02/20/2020

Susan L.

We bought a new under cabinet exhaust that needed to be installed. It was larger than what we had. Keith and Paul removed the old exhaust; rewired the new unit as it was hard-wired so they used the cord from the old unit; raised the cabinet up about 6 inches; and put in a new backing to accommodate everything. It looks fantastic and they took a lot of time and effort to make sure everything was done properly. I would definitely recommend and use this company again.

Description of Work
Cabinet above stove had to be raised to install new exhaust system.

Category custom cabinets

Work Completed On 02/20/2020

02/18/2020

Tricia C.

My remodel process beginning to end when I first met Mr. Bryson , Carpenter’s Hand. He wanted an ideal of what they could design strictly on budget or by getting to know my personality to match my kitchen. Mr. Bryson asked me, “‘what I wanted my Dream kitchen to looks like, (Colors/ countertops/ design) ? Overall, I came to the realization that I was going to cut back a little bit on my budget! Lol,.. The Carpenter’s Hand gave me so much more than I could afford using my budget wisely. I loved everything most importantly the quality of their work and attention to detail surpassed my expectations! I’d like to say, I did my homework on the price without compromising Quality!!! I made the right choice, in trusting them with my Remodel! Thank You, The Carpenter’s Hand, for my beautiful Kitchen... TC

Description of Work
Complete kitchen upgrade

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 02/17/2020

11/29/2019

Alice V.

The work that was done was exceptional. The two workers were great guys and finished the job on time. I would definitely recommend The Carpenters Hand to anyone that needs work done in their homes.

Description of Work
repair tiles in bathroom due to water damage and the repair ceiling in the garage

Work Completed On 11/20/2019

11/18/2019

Shirley C.

Uninstalled, rebuilt, reinforced, and reinstalled my kitchen island cabinet which had broken off its original bracket due to prior owner adding a granite top that was way too large ( up to 17" overhang in places) for the cabinet underneath to support. These carpenters understood the problem and invented a way to fix it when other contractors wouldn't touch it (smaller job; feared damage under the cabinet; couldn't figure out how to approach the problem). Strongly recommended, but did not insist, cutting down the granite slab to prevent the cabinet from breaking loose again at some point in spite of the reinforcements. Located a granite counter maker who picked up the slab and reduced it by about 25% while preserving its asymmetrical shape. Reinstalled the top, all in time for Thanksgiving and at a fair and honest price. Listened to my concerns, made intuitive recommendations, and communicated well throughout the process.

Description of Work
Rebuild kitchen island

Category custom cabinets, countertops, marble & granite, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/22/2019

09/07/2019

charlie O.

Took much longer to complete project that we anticipated. However, completed job is incredible. Tile work and cabinetry are beautiful.

Description of Work
Retile shower in upstairs bath, complete remodel of downstairs bath.

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, plumbing, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 08/16/2019

08/24/2019

Michael S.

Jeff's people did a terrific job. In slightly over two weeks they gave me a beautiful new granite counter tops, replaced my old vinyl floor with beautiful ceramic tile floor added a gorgeous tile backsplash and replaced an outdated light fixture over my sink all for just over 10,000 including repairing some major plumbing flaws in my 50 + year old house. I couldn't be more pleased with there work.

Description of Work
Replace counter tops, backsplash, floors, and paint

Work Completed On 08/20/2019

07/08/2019

Ryane G.

I do not recommend hiring Carpenter’s Hand or Mr. Bryson for any home renovations. This was our first major remodel. We explained to the owner, Mr. Bryson, during our first encounter that we wanted a team focused on our property so that we could finish the bathroom quickly and efficiently, since the project would put our shower out of commission and require our 5-person family to share the remaining shower for the duration. He explained that the project was "nothing special" and should take 3 weeks at most. This half-bathroom remodel (tub to shower conversion) took 4 months to complete, because Mr. Bryson did not oversee the project as discussed, and his crew was at the house for 3-4 hours at most during the first two weeks. After we sent him multiple pictures/texts and emails, he came to our house for the second time and decided that the shower had so many flaws it would need to be completely re-done. After the third week (when the tile setter was staying late to catch up) Mr. Bryson basically stopped communicating with us. He wanted a punch list, which I sent to him, and he said someone would be there the next day to complete, and he would follow up to ensure the items were completed correctly. However, no one came until he sent us a Final Demand for Pay when the punch list items had not even been addressed. **We followed up with a demand for service, which is when he finally showed up to complete the final caulking. The final product after all is said and done was a disappointment at best (see photos - one shows the shower floor does not slope toward the drain, so we have to rake the water in after every shower). He then stated that he would waive our final $350 payment if we agreed not to leave a negative review on his Angie's List profile. I sent the final $350 and explained that the primary reason for my leaving a review was to shield other home owners from having the same terrible experience with Mr. Bryson and Carpenters Hand.

Description of Work
Partial remodel of master bathroom (tub to shower conversion)

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, concrete repair, drywall, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/12/2019

Review for The Carpenter's Hand - 5318 Chestnut View, San Antonio, TX - 38009659

Unfortunately I know these reviews will come no matter how hard I try to please all of my customers. But, I am happy to at least have the opportunity to address this. I am hoping if you read this you will take the time to read my many other reviews for people that I have actually done work for. As for this customer I did have to redo the shower as it was not done to my satisfaction( solely at my expense) The customer thought it was great that I was willing. As for the quality of work she asked me to do and to receive an "f" is rather funny as she asked me to do another bathroom upon completion that I rejected to do. She was not available to answer basic questions during this process even the simple things like picking a color for shower. She would tell me that I am the expert and that I should know. This was the first delay. Then yes, I did have to do the shower over because I did not think my tile installer was doing to my level of quality. However, we completed this job still in 5 weeks not 4 months. The only thing not completed was additional work outside of shower area that I did as a courtesy. She refused to pay until I would caulk her baseboards and caulk some other parts of her vinyl floor which we installed for her to simply be nice. This was a bad experience for me and I will also confirm that I did also agree to wave the final balance of $350.00 after it took her 2 months to pay the previous balance of $2,500. The reason for my delay in getting to the caulking was because I was having heart issues and I did convey this to them. I also explained that this was not even part of my contracted work. I feel like they were trying to get out of paying there bill and finally had to send a demand letter. I hope anyone reading this will take the time to read my other reviews. Thank you for taking the time and if I can be of service please call. 210-336-1412

06/18/2019

Ginny B.

It couldn't have gone better. The company kept me informed regarding date and time of installation. They did an excellent job. I really appreciate they were willing to accept such a small job.

Description of Work
Handles installed on 24 kitchen cabinets.

Work Completed On 06/17/2019