MICKEY CONSTRUCTION

Founded 2003 • With Angi since June 2005

SUBS USED RARELY. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES. Also doing business as Mickeys Concrete.

concrete repair (322)concrete driveways (156)Patios (46)stamped concrete (17)decks & porches (25)stone & gravel (15)excavating (13)hardscaping (10)
Bobby B.
09/23/2022
Stephen Mickey and team simply left us with a larger bill to pay, and a need to tear out over 1600 square feet of concrete to correct their mistakes, and concrete poured that does not meet the city of Dallas Codes. Dallas code required a maximum grade percentage between 8 and 14 . Guess What? Our is 25% and upon exiting our driveway, the front of our car and anyone that exits our driveway scrapes the adjacent street based on the deep grade slope. I thought you are supposed to hire a contractor that knows Dallas Codes, and informs clients, when something does not appear correct. These guys failed us, will now cost us over $20K to repair their mistake, so I recommend you be extremely cautious.
Description of Work
Concrete Driveway
Category
concrete repair, concrete driveways, excavators
$65,000
Bill K.
06/25/2022
Once scheduled, the job went exactly as promised. On the first day they wrecked out my old driveway, dug out the area for my RV pad, set the forms and added dirt behind them to regrade the RV pad area, and spread and compacted flex base. The second day was add redwood expansion joints and rebar. Third day was inspection. The final day they poured and sealed. The driveway looks great, and they were able to work with the other vendor that I hired and allowed him to set the posts for my carport. Will be really excited to see the overall finished product get put to use.

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39778786Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39778786Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39778786
Description of Work
I had Mickey construction remove my old cracked driveway, and re-pour the driveway along with an extension to park my RV on.
$15,000
Jon G.
04/13/2021
We recently had concrete work done (both a new walkway and a new back patio). We used Mickey Construction ([*** Link removed ***] and had a great experience. We had five different companies come out to the house and bid on the project ranging from a one-off, independent crew to the institutional, name brand outdoor solution company. Stephen Mickey and his crew were heads above everyone else. For context, we used a few different dimensions to think about our alternatives: 1) Fair Price: Stephen was not the cheapest nor the most expensive. I’d describe him as competitive and reasonable if you communicate your goals/etc. openly. You can get a lot of price dispersion with concrete work – be careful if the price looks too good to be true. 2) Great Communication: Stephen returned my call the same day of my initial inquiry, came out to see our house within a couple days, and was incredibly responsive via text and phone call the entire duration of the project. I’m sure there are times where he gets bogged down on projects like any contractor, but our experience was nothing short of great on the communication front. Further, he was patient as we had other contractors come out and he also spent numerous calls with us talking through options. I took the time to give him the survey of our property and put in writing everything that we agreed to do so there was no opportunity for misinterpretation. I highly suggest you do this agnostic of who you hire, and Stephen was glad to accommodate this. 3) Solid Credibility: If you have different concrete contractors come out to bid, you’ll notice that there is a wide range of professionalism across the board. I found it exhausting to deal with folks who came out and tossed out a price after spending only three minutes looking at our job. Similarly, we had larger company salesmen who came out and while polished in communication, couldn’t answer technical questions around concrete work and it was clear they were simply looking to get commission on a sale. Stephen’s visit was a perfect blend of technical expertise yet personable communication. He’s a no BS, direct kind of guy. He has one dedicated crew of awesome folks he’s worked with for a long time through thick and thin. He spent a lot of time with my wife and I looking at the job, measuring, thinking through what could work and what wouldn’t, etc. I was convinced he wasn’t just looking to flip a quick concrete job but actually took pride in his work, his crew, and the ultimate outcome. 4) Deliver an Outcome: I knew our project would have to take into account non-concrete issues like sprinkler system rerouting, drainage, etc. and I did not want to have to juggle multiple contractors if something went wrong. Further, I knew we’d hit some unexpected issues and didn’t want a contractor that would be knocking on my door to share problems without solutions. Stephen has a trusted resource for every situation we encountered so once we hired him, it was one-stop shop to completion. Did we have some unexpected issues pop up during construction? Definitely. Did Stephen and his crew hop right on it, fix them efficiently, and get back to their concrete job without even a comment? ABSOLUTELY! 5) Transparency: You may know exactly what you want for your project or just have a rough idea. Stephen can help you figure that out. We shared our vision and Mickey helped us calibrate by taking into consideration budget, aesthetics, and structural integrity. He is not afraid to tell you that your idea may not be a good one for the specific situation, but if you’re open to listening and understanding the rationale for his perspective, you’ll end up in a way better spot at the end of the day. As stressful as it sounds, we made a material change to our project the day of construction based on some real-time advice from Mickey and it turned out to be an outstanding decision. A lot of contractors will simply do whatever you ask, even if it’ll look aesthetically bad or be structurally weak. Mickey takes too much pride in his work to let a client make such a decision without fully understanding the risk. If you tend to be someone who takes offense by input/ideas from your contractor or by direct communication, you might be better off working with a large company that cares more about the sales process than the substance of their work. However, if you value high quality work from someone who knows what their doing and will shoot you straight and fair, Mickey Construction is a great option. I’d definitely use them again.
Description of Work
Front walkway and back patio
concrete repair, patios
JESSE O.
12/21/2020
Mickey construction did an amazing job on creating a circular driveway in front of our house. I had a couple of contractors before calling Mickey, when asking the other contractors questions. I did not feel comfortable with their answers. Dealing with Mickey was a completely different experience. He knew exactly what needed to be done. Mickey brought in the correct people for certain parts of the job. The installation of the circular driveway involved removing 3 two story high trees and rerouting of the front sprinklers. Instead of trying to do the work himself he brought in a tree removal company and a sprinkler company that he has worked with in the past. Our house sits on a hill, which he explained to me how he intended to level center. The tear out, and installing took about 3 days. Mickey kept me informed every step of the way. We opted to go with a stamped driveway and removed all the steps leading to the house. The end result was amazing. We had so many people stop by commenting on the the amazing driveway. Mickey and his crew did an amazing job. Highly and strongly recommending Mickey construction

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39096625Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39096625Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39096625Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 39096625
Description of Work
Install a circular driveway
Category
concrete repair, concrete driveways, excavators, pavers, gravel, stamped concrete
$27,250
Richman L.
10/16/2020
We first met with Stephen Mickey and laid out the parameters of the job. He provided a written price quote within a day or two. During this period of time we were meeting with a number of concrete companies. Mickey Concrete stood out as a very knowledgeable and professional company. They were not the least or most expensive but felt right for us. Little did we know how important this decision was going to be. The crew showed up when we expected and completed the removal of our old and installation of our new 6” (3/8” rebar) circle drive. The crew worked together very well. Stephen was on-site off and on, especially to keep track of everything and manage the pour. The result was ‘wonderful’ and my wife and I could not have been happier....until....3 days later when it cracked. Water was bubbling up through our beautiful, new, 6 inch thick driveway. It was very disappointing and even depressing. But then, like Mighty Mouse (anyone remember Mighty Mouse?), Stephen Mickey showed up to save the day! He found out what had happened because of a missed line check by his sub-contracted sprinkler person. What was to be done? How could this be corrected? Tune in next week for....no, I can’t do that to you, poor reader looking for concrete companies. The conclusion? The sprinkler line was rerun and the section of concrete with the crack was cut and jack hammered out. New concrete was ordered from the same company, with the same amount of accelerator chemical added. It dried and matches perfectly with the original pour. We could not have been happier. It is not every company who stands by their work anymore. Thank goodness Mickey Construction/Concrete is not one of those. We have the highest regard for these guys, for this company and for Stephen Mickey.
Description of Work
Replacement of existing circle driveway.
$15,000
Thomas S.
10/07/2020
Excellent. They were on time, hard-working, efficient as a team, professional, and meticulous. Stephen Mickey was on site directing the operations and ensuring the project went smoothly. Put your trust in his expertise. Stephen and his crew were great to work with. We highly recommend them!
Description of Work
Driveway, walkway, front steps
Amber H.
08/10/2020
The project wasn't overly complicated, but we had multiple contractors to work with (tree, stump removal, fence & concrete). Mr. Mickey helped keep the communication process flowing smoothly & his team was TOP NOTCH!! They did incredible work, were super professional & cleaned up after themselves each day, Any time we needed to reach out before, during & after the project he was very quick to respond. He was also very patient with us as we sorted all the details out & made a couple of changes along the way. We'd highly recommend it!

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 38787115
Description of Work
Back patio expanded & partial driveway redone
Merri Ellen K.
07/20/2020
Let me start by saying I would never recommend Mickey Constrution!! We had an additional patio walkway and sidewalk/dogrun to install in our back yard. When we met with Stephen Mickey, my husband and Stephen went over the project and my husband explained what he wanted. It was about a month later that we installed our project. Stephen came out and got his crew started and then left for about 2 hours. My husband oversaw what they were doing and the crew could not have been nicer. When Stephen returned, the crew was hard at work and then the cement truck arrived. Stephen started yelling at his crew and threw his water bottle across the lawn. I came out and my husband was explaining that they had discussed using redwood and that it appeared that he wasn’t using that kind of wood. My husband further reminded Stephen that he had wanted the cement 2 inches away from the fence, so if we ever needed to paint the fence we could access the bottom of it. Stephen began SCREAMING at my husband saying they never agreed to that and that my husband was undermining his engineering. My husband said, “if you remember, this is what I told you I wanted.” Stephen kept screaming and threatening to walk the job! I kept saying, “calm down, calm down”! I walked in the house appauld and my husband came in and said, I told him just to finish it and walked away. We both agreed he could walk out of the job because we weren’t going to be threatened. When we walked back outside, Stephen had calmed down and began having his men pour the concrete. The men used wheelbarrels to cart the wet cement to where it needed to be poured and they had left long rebarbs laying on the grass. I walked out to Stephen and suggested they move the rebarbs because the guys keep tripping over it and the potentional of a wheelbarrel full of wet cement would be tumpled in my grass. He dismissed me with, “they know it is there” as another guy tripped over it. I went myself and moved it out of the way. Another indication that you don’t tell this man what to do! He told us he had to leave the forms and stakes in place until it dried. We later found out that is not true. He said he would come back and take it out and also told us he would clean the rod iron fence from all the splattered cement. He never came back, never returned my text asking when he was going to finish, and there is cement all over my black rod iron fence. Very unprofessional.
Description of Work
additional walkway and dog run
Category
concrete repair, concrete driveways, patios
$4,000
Howard G.
06/04/2020
The question is why you would pay for Angie's List and then be so unprofessional.
Description of Work
They came up a Angie's List preferred, sent two quotes, got no reply. Very rude and certainly not professional.
concrete repair, stamped concrete
Karen P.
05/16/2020
Perfect! Very happy with work that was done, fast, professional, excellent job!
Description of Work
Concrete driveway
concrete driveways
$5,800
Rose of sharon B.
04/12/2020
Mickey's construction company didn't do the job. Home advisor did do the job.
Description of Work
I had parking lot repair work done
Rose of sharon B.
04/12/2020
Mickey's construction company didn't do the job. Home advisor did do the job.
Description of Work
I had parking lot repair work done
Anoop V.
11/16/2019
I had left a voice mail on Fri morning asking for a quote. I received a call the following Mon and we tentatively agreed to meet Tue afternoon. He was supposed to call and confirm but never did.
Description of Work
Needed a section of the driveway torn-up and repaved
J.D. H.
11/06/2019
Not a good contractor for small jobs. We used Mickey Construction about 10 years ago on a small job. It took multiple calls to get them out for a quote and their quote was high. The quality of work was good, but I don't know that it was worth the hassle in the end. We have another small job now. I actually got in touch with the owner/operator on the phone after submitting an online request. He admitted that he only picked up the call because he thought it was somebody calling him about a permit on one of his bigger jobs. He asked me to text him details of the job so he could call me later to set up an estimate. I never got a return phone call.
Description of Work
Concrete driveway work.
HAROLD T.
10/10/2019
The crew showed up on time and demolition started. All old materials cleared away. Enlarged the patio so some of the irrigation needed to be removed & capped. Framing & rebar done and crew laid down plastic to protect new driveway (also by Mickey), wood fence and house siding from the colored concrete. New patio demo, poured, stamped, and forms removed in one day. A week later they returned to apply sealer. Mickey Construction went beyond my expectations of a beautiful new patio. Easy to work with the owner, who was onsite for most of the work. Any issues were resolved immediately.

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 38163179
Description of Work
Old Patio Demo and New Patio Install - Colored and Stamped Concrete
Category
concrete repair, stamped concrete, patios
HAROLD T.
10/10/2019
Our old driveway was 35 yrs old & cracked beyond repair, so replacement was the best option. Since we were connecting to the alley a city inspection was required before concrete was poured. Mickey Construction pulled the permit and scheduled the inspection. Mickey's crew showed up on time and got to work removing the old driveway and hauled it off. Forms were installed and rebar laid. City inspection was late afternoon. The next morning concrete arrived, plastic was wrapped around the wood fence and garage/house to prevent concrete from splashing on them, and work began again. By early afternoon the forms were removed, fill dirt added and the work was done. Our cars were out of the garage for about 5 days total. New driveway looks great and built much better than original. Owner was onsite often and available by phone if needed to resolve any issues or questions.

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 38201154Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 38201154Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 38201154
Description of Work
Cracked Driveway Remove and Replace
Allison W.
10/04/2019
This was one of my easier home improvement projects. Mickey Construction gave me a detailed quote that was good for one month. I accepted and the project was scheduled for two weeks later. It was done in a single day and the new driveway is beautiful (if that's even a term that you can apply to concrete). His team was professional, prompt and very good.
Description of Work
I needed half of my driveway removed and new concrete poured, including rebar.
$5,400
Frank L.
06/12/2019
Very well. Great attention to detail and work.
Description of Work
Double the size and replace old driveway.
ANNETTE N.
05/28/2019
Very well! Mr. Mickey and his team arrived on time, provided the service agreed upon and cleaned up the site when they left. We are very satisfied with our new driveway. We are happy to recommend him to anyone who needs concrete work.
Description of Work
Driveway replacement
Doug G.
02/16/2019
Fantastic! We couldn't be happier with the job completed by Stephen and his crew of professionals. He showed up precisely on time with a large crew and demolished this ugly asphalt driveway and the crew set the forms and rebar by the end of day one. He showed up on day two with double the crew size to pour and finish the concrete. By 2:30 PM at the end of day two, they were finished. Stephen was very flexible and was even able to fit our job in a week earlier than expected. I received quotes from six contractors for this job. His price wasn't the cheapest, but very competitive. If I need any concrete work done for any reason, I'm calling Mickey Construction. Awesome!

Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 37716820Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 37716820Review for MICKEY CONSTRUCTION - 535 GREENLEAF DR, Richardson, TX - 37716820
Description of Work
Replaced asphalt driveway and parking pad with concrete
jane F.
12/10/2018
He did not show. Made an appointment, but had to change and did not make another appointment.
Description of Work
replacement of front steps/landing/wingwalls
Category
concrete repair, decks, masonry, stamped concrete
Robert C.
09/22/2018
They contacted me right away thru AL messaging, asking when did I want the job done. I said ready now. Never heard back.
Description of Work
Pave driveway approach
concrete repair

I regret that we could not help this member. I contacted [Member Name Removed] by phone and left voice mails twice most recently being on 09/12/18. I have not received a reply.
Julie B.
09/08/2018
Excellent job. Pleased with the quality and workmanship. Very knowledgeable and dependable. He listened and helped me understand the process and choices. I have great confidence in his work!
Description of Work
Tear out old driveway and install new circular driveway and walkway.
Suzanne G.
08/11/2018
Left several voice messages, at least 4 messages over a period of about a month. In addition, called several times and the outgoing message said-the mailbox is full and not accepting messages. Then I decided to send emails. One or two emails over next weeks. Heard no response. We decided to make a decision on our project. The next morning he called and I explained we had already made a decision. It was frustrating since we had delayed our decision waiting to see what solution they could offer. They may be good but we’ll never know.
Description of Work
Extending my back patio with concrete, stamped concrete, flagstone, etc
Category
concrete repair, decks, stamped concrete, patios
$8,000
A T L.
07/12/2018
My driveway was replaced a year & 2 mos ago. This is my 3rd review of Mickey Construction. Stephen Mickey was informative & professional & took the time to explain the phases the job would go thru. Even after the job was complete, I could call Mickey & get my questions answered.
Description of Work
Driveway replaced

Phone