DAYSTAR INSPECTIONS

Founded 1983 • With Angi since January 2006

4.4

We are dedicated to providing you and your Houston Home Inspection with personalized attention. Our house inspectors also strive to conduct the most accurate real estate inspections possible. All too often, individuals looking to purchase a home neglect to have the necessary home inspections performed, and end up with a costly problem on their hands. Don’t make that mistake. Trust the expertise of Daystar Inspections' Texas A&M-trained engineer (not a certified PE) and also a member of TPREIA (Texas Professional Real Estate Inspectors Association) and InterNACHI. With experience since 1983 and more than 10,000 home inspections in Houston, we have earned the right to be considered industry experts. We work hard to maintain our reputable name, so let us make a believer out of you. All inspections are performed by Al Wyatt and are carefully conducted in concurrence with the most recent Texas Real Estate Commission Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics....

Crosstown Engineering and Home Inspection

We are a family-owned, locally-operated company that has served our home, the state of Texas, for the past 10 years. We provide the highest-level of service to our customers by providing professional evaluations and excellent customer service. We will go above-and-beyond for you and your home. We look forward to hearing from you! Services offered: Foundation Inspections, Drainage Inspections, Foundation Repair & Inspections, Whole Home Inspections & Pre-Sale Inspections, Engineering Reports, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering

GreenWorks Inspections & Engineering

GreenWorks specializes in Inspection, Engineering, Environmental and Concierge Services. Our scope includes home inspections, property condition assessments, foundation investigations, mold consulting, structural design and more! We are our client’s eyes to the unknown of their properties. Our services provide our clients with a peace of mind to their real estate decisions. We proudly serve Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and All Surrounding Areas. In August 2020, GreenWorks was awarded the rank of #1200 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 list, the most prestigious ranking of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies following up their 2019 Inc. 5000 ranking of #1595.

Offers by GreenWorks Inspections & Engineering on Angi
Cornerstone Home Inspections

Cornerstone Home Inspection & Consulting can help you buy or sell your home with confidence. Whether you’re a homebuyer, seller, or homeowner, we’ll provide you with valuable information about your home so you can move forward confidently. We are a licensed and insured company with over thirty five years experience in professional home inspecting. Proudly veteran owned and operated with practical and professional expertise needed to identify defects in a home. We inspect and evaluate all the major systems and components of a house to include a infrared camera scan, and then produce a comprehensive, accurate, and easy to read report designed to illustrate with pictures the condition of the home, which you will receive within a hour of the inspection being completed. Any questions you may have after reading your report can be addressed to us by phone or email. The buyers may be present during the inspection or we can meet on site after my inspection to go over my findings. Cornerstone Home Inspection thoroughly inspects all sizes and types of homes, condominiums, duplexes, new construction phase inspections etc. The fee for a complete home inspection is based on the square footage of the home, additional charges are applied for out buildings, pools/spas, outdoor kitchens, irrigation systems, water wells, septic systems, water conditioning equipment and home generators.

Offers by Cornerstone Home Inspections on Angi

01/15/2011

michael S.

Awsome

Description of Work
inspected my Moms house and then made me detailed report.

11/04/2010

Robert D.

I had some reservations to begin with when another Angie's List review said he was a bit out of date. I chose him over another company reviewed on Angie's List because his price was a little lower. He also boasted that his Trec number was lower than most, proving that he has been doing this a while. My main complaint about his inspection relates to the foundation. Below is an excerpt from his report. "The floor at the sunroom slopes down to the north approx. 2" per 16 ft. The floor at the north side of the sw b/r slopes down to the north approx. 2 1/2" per 16 ft. The floor at the upper hallway slopes down to the south approx. 2 1/2" per 16 ft. The floor at the east side of the master b/r & master bath slopes down to the west approx. 2" per 16 ft. The floor at the south side of the garage slopes down to the south approx. 3" per 16 ft." Based on this report I had a foundation repair company (one that gets high scores on Angie's List) inspect the property to give me an estimate to correct all of the sloping indicated in the report. They found NONE. Nothing to repair. "How could this experienced inspector who told me he has an engineering degree be so wrong?" I wondered. So I decided to pay for a structural engineer to inspect the property, figuring he would give me a straight answer. He confirmed that there was nothing to fix. The foundation is in good shape for a home of its age. When I told him that the inspector had found all kinds of sloping, he took out a measuring gadget and told me that the garage (which the inspector said sloped 3" per 16 feet to the south - that would be toward the house, which is why I was so concerned) does not slope. He said it was flat except for one area on the north side of the garage that was poured a quarter of an inch lower - an imperfection when the house was built. He also measured the ceiling, which he said would show movement more than the floor, and it was also level. The upstairs hallway, which Mr. Wyatt said sloped 2.5" per 16', at most sloped 3/10" according the structural engineer's measurements. When I confronted Mr. Wyatt with this information, he told me that I must have misunderstood, that he did not tell me that the house needed foundation correction, only that it might have. I could walk into any house in Houston and say it "might" need foundation work. What I was looking for when I hired the inspector was someone who could make a statement with more authority. I cannot trust any of the information that Mr Wyatt supplied in his reports. Plus, whether an electrical socket works is hardly as significant as if a property is going to require foundation repair. I definitely would NOT hire him again. He did not offer to refund any of his fee. It would have been an appropriate gesture to offer a refund equal to what it cost me to hire the structural engineer. If he has been inspecting houses as long as he says, he should be able to more accurately assess the foundation. My impression is that he gives the same report on every house that he inspects because he doesn't really know how to accurately assess the foundation, and if he tells you that something is wrong when it's not, versus the other way around, he won't get sued. He would say he's being cautious. I say he's a bad inspector.

Description of Work
I hired him to perform two home inspections on properties I was considering for purchase.

Category home inspection

I inspected two homes for [the Member] on 10/30/10. The first house was a 2979 square foot 2-story home with a sprinkler system. My normal price for that home was $414. I charged him only $329 (including termite inspection). The second home was a 3480 square foot 2-story home with a pool, hot tub, and lawn sprinkler system. My normal price for this home was $500. I charged him only $379 (including termite inspection) for that inspection. The Angie’s List discount for my customers is $20 per home. However, I gave him a total discount of $206. During our phone conversation, [the Member] told me he needed the inspections to be done on that Saturday (10/30/10). My schedule was completely full on that day. So, I totally changed my schedule to accommodate him. I arrived at the appointment five minutes early. I worked diligently and professionally for nine continuous hours. I politely and patiently answered all his questions. During the inspection, I showed him several areas of slab cracks, brick cracks, and sheetrock cracks. I normally wait until the end of the inspections to verbally explain to the buyers this very important point: That even though we were seeing all those cracks, it did not mean that the homes have foundation failure. The structural engineer and the foundation company used an instrument called a “Compu-level” to analyze the foundation of the homes. A Compu-level is an electronic instrument that determines “elevation” at various points throughout the home. When Compu-levels are used, most people only take 2 or 3 elevation readings per room. If they do not take 6 to 8 elevation readings per room, they will not see the same sloping in rooms that I see. I used a 4 foot hand level at numerous areas in each room (checking for north/south and east/west sloping). The rooms were definitely sloping exactly as my report states. I always wait until the end of the inspection to verbally describe my conclusions to the buyers. At the end of the inspection, I was ready to explain to him that the homes were experiencing settlement and that he should seek a second opinion from a structural engineer. I planned to tell him that settlement does not mean “foundation failure”. But, when I looked for [the Member] I realized that he had “left” the home. He was gone for the day, and I could not give him my summary. [The Member] apparently does not understand that it is perfectly normal for inspectors to defer to the expertise of specialists in certain areas. Inspectors are not specialists in every category. [The Member] also neglected to acknowledge that I successfully inspected several hundred other items in other categories, and that I found numerous other items that needed repair. After reading his comments, it sounds like the only thing important to him in this inspection was the foundation. If that is true, then he should have hired a structural engineer from the very beginning. [The Member] also never asked for a refund. It is regrettable that he does not have a high opinion of my inspection abilities. I have inspected approximately 10,000 homes in 27 years. I definitely know what I am doing.

10/07/2010

John C.

Al Wyatt was great.

Description of Work
Inspection and termite treatment.

03/24/2010

Jeff B.

When I first called Daystar, Al, the owner was in the middle of an inpsection and promised to call me back. A couple hours later, he called as promised and we set up our appointment for the next week. Al was right on time and quickly got to work inspecting our home. He made comments along the way and gave us a walkthrough when he was finished. Other than portions of his report that were not specific (e.g. "Misc power outlets are loose"), I was pleased with his work. He found several things that needed to be fixed before our new home warranty expired. His price was much lower than all the other home inspectors that I called and he also gave us a discount for finding him on Angie's List.

Description of Work
A full home inspection including 6 zone sprinkler system

01/07/2009

LAURA K.

It was okay. I wasn't thrilled. He is a nice older gentlemen but I don't think that he is up to date on all of the building codes. However it was easy to make an appointment with him. There was a lot of things in the report that were unnecessary. The downside is that he doesn't do roofs which is important in a home inspection.

Description of Work
They came and gave us a new home warranty inspection.

Category home inspection

I inspected this home for the Member on 11/21/09. The price of $329 was a very good price for a 3500 square foot 2-story home. (My normal price was $389). During that time period, there were over 900 licensed home inspectors in the greater Houston area. Only a small handfull of those inspectors are "certified code inspectors". The Member did not ask for a certified code inspector. She simply asked for a warranty home inspection on the home she had previously purchased. I did exactly what she asked me to do. Also, I definitely do roof inspections. I have been performing home inspections for 27 years. I have performed approx. 10,000 inspections. For the first 15 years, I always climbed on the roof of every inspection. However, I learned that many times I "caused damage" on the roofs when I walked on them. The roofs were in fairly good condition, until I walked-around on the roof. It causes the "aggregate" (gravel coating) to release from the shingle. This causes the membrane to deteriorate prematurely because it is exposed to the ultraviolet rays in the sunlight. I explained this to the Member, but she failed to place that note in her "comment" section. I use a 150 watt spotlight in the attic and comprehensively search for leak stains and rot. I then turn the light "off" and look for evidence of sunlight penetrating into the attic--These are areas that will certainly allow for rainwater penetration. I also visually inspect the shingles, flashing, roof jacks, roof vents, and chimney stack with binoculars from ground level.

11/14/2008

Martin G.

They came on time, worked the whole time they were here. I got the report when the service provider said I would.

Description of Work
Routine home inspection.

10/27/2008

walt B.

He was friendly, professional, meticulous, thorough, prompt in writing his report and gave me a very good price, doing both a home inspection and a WDI inspection for what many would've charged for just the home inspection. He's got a lot of experience and used it to my benefit in the inspection. It would be hard to imagine a better performance.

Description of Work
Home Inspection and Wood Destroying Insect Inspection.

08/06/2007

Mitzy M.

They did a very thorough job. He was quick. He was there one day and we got the quote two days later.

Description of Work
They inspected a home we were buying. He also did termite, structural, sprinkler, electrical, and plumbing inspections.

01/10/2006

DENISE T.

Mr. Wyatt was punctual and very reasonable in his prices. He also does termite inspections if needed. He is always very professional when contacted, and has no problems answering all questions. After his thorough inspection of my home, I was a little worried because the report was so long, but Mr. Wyatt went through the list with me, pointed out the easily fixed items, and the time frame within which I should have them taken care of. He is an all around helpful person, and an asset to his profession. I would not hesitate to use him on any other properties I purchase.

Description of Work
Mr. Wyatt, with Daystar Inspections, performed the home inspection on my current home, and he also inspected a home that I was attempting to purchase. He is very responsive to phone calls, and has a quick turnaround on issuing his reports. He is very thorough, and since I wasn't present at the home inspection, he made himself available by telephone to answer all my questions.

DAYSTAR INSPECTIONS

Founded 1983 • With Angi since January 2006

4.4

16402 CORNWALL

Houston, TX 77040

PERFORM FULL MECHANICAL, STRUCTURAL, TERMITE, POOL, HOT TUB, AND LAWN SPRINKLER SYSTEM INSPECTIONS, PERFORM NEW CONSTRUCTION, PHASE, FINAL INSPECTIONS AND PERFORM ONE YEAR BUILDER'S WARRANTY INSPECTIONS.

PERFORM ENVIRONMENTAL TYPE INSPECTIONS, LEAD BASED PAINT, FORMALDEHYDE, MOLD & FUNGI, ASBESTOS & RADON GAS.

ASK FOR DETAILS