Alford's Landscaping

Founded 1984 • With Angi since July 2008

3901 carolyn rd

Fort Worth, TX 76109

3 employees. Uses subs for labor. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charge. No service fee....

10/03/2011

Lucy S.

Well he would show up some days and weeks go by and then he would show up again and ask for more money and resume work again. During the process he some how convinced my husband and I let him break down the retainig wall around a tree and use that rock to make the flower beds he assured me the mound that was created would look natural by the time the services were rendered. He also suggested we spend an additional $800.00 for rocks that would compliment the mound. Well we bought the rocks and he was finally done June 5, 2011. The landscaping services are HORRIBLE. It is now October and the planters look horrible I have lost ALL the encore azaleas he planted, he planted 24. And the mound does not look natural in any way it is an eye sore!! I have only three Hydrageas left, he planted 7. I called him on the 25th, of June and told him about all the dead plants and I asked him what about the warranty you offer and he replied that the warranty is only for plants that are planted wrong my issue was due to watering. Which is not true since my husband and I watered them everyday because we had just spent a lot of money on these plants. Overall, the landscaping experience was the WORST I have ever seen. I would love for anyone to come and see. My neighbors look in disgust and they also want his name to make sure they never make my mistake.

Description of Work
Mr. Brent Alford was solicited by my husband and I to do some professional landscaping services to our front yard. He began the first week of may and did not complete his job until June 5, 2011. I left all up to him, I told him you're the professional and I leave it in your hands. He gave us an estimated invoice of how much it was going to be and we were ok. with that. Afterall, he is the professional and this was going to be a professional job done and service.

Category landscaping, lawn service, outdoor lighting

This report saddens and disturbs me. Over the course of this job we tried to accommodate the Silva's wishes but were unsuccessful for the following reasons. 1. Station one on their irrigation system had insufficient pressure to water the plants installed, the members declined splitting this station into two because they didn't wish to purchase a new controller. We installed a drip station that could use the pressure provided. I spoke with the member about adjusting the watering time for this station when the temperatures starting hitting 95-100 in July or August. He said that he could do this and it would be no problem. He did not adjust this watering in time, this led to some damaged plants. Unfortunately we started hitting 100 degrees in June with high, dry winds that exacerbated their problem. 2. The first three hydrangeas we planted almost died over the first weekend from a lack of water, despite the fact that the member said that they would keep them watered. They ordered three more for the entrance, this is the only reason that they have seven hydrangeas to begin with. We transplanted the first three to a different area in the garden and I took one home and have almost completed nursing it back to health so that it can be returned to them. 3. The members failed to take proper steps to provide water while they were on vacation. I drove to their home four times at my own expense just to water their plants. I also drove there three times to adjust or add drip lines to compensate for the extremely dry conditions. 4. We decided to remove the stone from the damaged, raised bed and use it for an edge because new stone in the same color simply wasn't available. The member's agreed with this decision initially but the member changed her mind after several neighbors told her that they thought it was too tall. On three occasions we drove to their home, with men on the clock to change this design. Twice the member was gone the entire day, completely skipping out on the appointment while I paid my men waiting on her. The third time she did return home but left us sitting in the front yard for almost two hours before she would talk to us. She said that she would wait a few days to decide exactly what she wanted regarding the raised bed. 5. The following Tuesday we arrived to find that she had removed all of the plants from the raised bed and scattered them throughout the other planting areas. The plants were not planted but just laying on top of the ground dieing. We planted them as best as we could fit them into the new locations and got them watered. 6. the member then insisted that we shave 3-4 inches off the top of the raised bed because it was now too high. It was the same height that it always was. I refused to do this work because it would expose the roots of the large Cedar Elm in the bed and put the tree at risk. the member had indicated that under no circumstances were we to let this tree die. We offered to remove it and plant a new one to eliminate the raised bed completely because she was unhappy with it, she said this would be like "killing her grandfather." 7. The plants she wanted us to use after this could not be effectively planted in this bed because it was partially shaded and partially sunny but she would not let us use shady and sunny plants for each side. 8. After installation I identified an outbreak of Crown Rot in their giant liriope. I contacted the nursery that sold us the plants and they provided the right microbial agent to kill the fungus. Within two weeks the rot had been stopped and the plants were recovering. If they had died I would have replaced them as a matter of course. 9. Plants are living things and each homeowner has a measure of responsibility to care for them. Proper watering is determined by the plants individual needs and the climate, not how many times you have to turn on a hose or sprinkler system. 10. During this period it is important to note that North Texas experienced the worst drought in recorded history! I'm sorry for their troubles but I simply cannot warranty the weather. Two other jobs that were completed just before the member's used similar plants in the same amount as the member's. One customer lost two hydrangeas and five azaleas, the other customer lost no hydrangeas but three were damaged and two azaleas died. During the same time the member's lost over a dozen azaleas and almost all of their hydrangeas. Given that the jobs are all of a similar size and used the same types of plants and all have irrigation systems but requires additional hand watering to compensate for the weather the only logical explanation is that the inconsistent watering employed by the member's at their residence. In short they wanted everything to just work without taking proper precautions to ensure that their plants got what they needed. They also failed to compensate for the extreme weather. Ultimately they didn't like my design for the raised bed but would not allow me to redesign or replant the bed properly. I failed to properly illustrate the design during the initial consultation and I failed to realize that they actually needed an architectural plan. At no time did they ask for this plan. I was willing to accommodate their wishes for redesign and replanting but the restrictions imposed by the member made this impossible. The member's could have saved 25% of the cost of this job by deciding exactly what they wanted before construction began rather than by changing their minds in the middle of the job. Brent Alford

03/28/2011

John E.

Alford's came up with a good design and located a very nice sandstone to use. He had a small crew and so it took a little longer to complete but the workers were professional and we are very satisfied with the final product.

Description of Work
We hired Alford's Landscaping to design and install a new patio for our backyard. They took up the old brick patio and installed a larger sandstone patio.

Category decks, landscaping, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

07/23/2008

Lovena H.

Excellent, punctual and complete work. We cannot recommend him strongly enough.

Description of Work
Alford's Landscaping has worked for us since 2004. They have done all types of landscaping work at our home. Including installation of azalea beds and other plants, ground cover, seasonal color Christmas Lights and a wonderful dogwood. They also perform all of the more advanced maintenance tasks that our yardman doesn't provide, like weeding and sprinkler repair. This company does exceptional work. Brent is knowledgeable and courteous, if he has employees with him they are well trained or properly supervised and they have all been very nice men. When everyone else kept telling us to plant more St. Augustine, Brent Alford pointed out that we don't have enough sunlight for this and he planted winter-creeper, four years later it is still going strong with no more re-plantings!

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, holiday decorators

Beautiful Doors Refinished by Tennyson

We offer a true craftsmanship service that has been servicing the Ft Worth Area since 1970. Exterior coatings with no "spray application". So your desired coating lasts much longer. Also specialize in door Refinishing, Door Repairs, Door Necessities, Such as : Hardware, weather stripping, Door bottom sweeps, Door install, Garage Door Etc.. So keeping your beautiful doors refinished throughout the year.

Earth Kind Services

Organic Lawn Top Dressing & Organic Lawn Fertilization. I started this company to offer an organic, safe lawn application that really gets results. Using our specialized spreaders we spread wonderful rich compost to build your soil in your lawn and landscape. Compost improves the structure and texture of the soil enabling it to better retain nutrients, moisture, and air for the stronger, healthier plants. This organic matter feeds the soil microbes that are vital for good diverse soil environment. Compost helps to control diseases and insects that might otherwise overrun a more sterile soil lacking natural checks against their spread. Compost can save lots of money too - reducing costs of replacing sod and plants, use less water, reduce cost of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers. Results may vary due to turf and soil conditions. Most people see their turf thicken & bare spots fill in. It usually take a few weeks to begin to see results. Gradually compaction lessens and the soil may even feel softer. Watering needs should go down 30%. When we seed at the same time as top dressing we usually have a good stand of grass in 3 weeks. See our videos on Youtube as well. Website: https://www.earthkindservices.com

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, PayPal

Landscaping, lawn irrigation, masonry, carpentry, woodworking, decks, porches, patios, walkways, driveways, flagstone, brick, retaining walls, driveway access, tencing, wrought iron, steel, cedar, trees, arbor care, tree trimming, landscape lighting, doors, water features & koi ponds, new plantings, flower beds, azaleas, roses, perennials, xeriscaping, low water plantings, design & consultation.

Mowing.