Austin Gardens Landscape

Founded 1987 • With Angi since June 2011

Austin Gardens Landscape is a design / build, maintenance and associated landscape services company. Beginning in 1987, Jay Shirley, the owner and manager, has used his experiences growing up locally to learn the hardiest plant varieties, proper growing conditions, and knowledge of local soils and climate to bring to bare on all projects. Call or text me at (214)803-7466 or (972)393-6224...

4.4

4.3

lawn care (36)lawn & landscaping (18)leaf removal (2)lighting (1)lawn treatment (1)hardscaping (1)

09/20/2017

Mayuresh J.

Overall went well for general weekly lawn service and some landscaping/beautification work including tree removal but I thought services were pricier than expected. I also needed help to grow smooth lawn on bare patches in front yard where there was no success.

Description of Work
Monthly landscaping, lawn maintenance + tree trimming

Work Completed On 08/15/2017

Home owner called me back to provide additional services in Spring of 2018.

03/16/2016

Carol D.

Description of Work
Excellent lawn service and gracious ownership

Work Completed On 03/14/2016

08/18/2015

Barbara H.

I did not use this provider. I have submitted this information before.

Description of Work
I did not use this provider. I have submitted this information before.

Work Completed On 01/01/2013

Not sure why this is here. It is from over a year ago. Mrs. [Member name removed] purchased a "Big Deal" package in fall of 2013. After discussing things concerning the distance and timing, we agreed to reimburse her payment. She was very understanding, as I recall.

07/30/2015

MALIK E.

The provider came out and met with me at the property to discuss work that needed to be done on the yard. The gentleman seemed nice enough. He also seemed knowledgeable. He told me that he would give me an estimate within 1-2 business days but for whatever reason, he I haven't heard back from the provider for two weeks now.

Description of Work
Came out to discuss work that needed to be done.

Work Completed On 07/15/2015

[Member Name Removed] explained when I met him that it was a rent house that he had just moved into and he didn't want to spend much. He was asking for suggestions to clean things up and "what would I do"? He mentioned that he had spoken to several other contractors soliciting their ideas and proposals too. Even while I was there trying to talk to him, another contractor that he had double booked on scheduling, showed up. Pest control, as I recall. I did not feel he was wanting to do the work and just looking for ideas. I gave him a few suggestions and left, feeling I had just wasted an hour of time on a busy day. Never heard from him again. In the landscape service industry, as in any design profession, we have people that just want to pick our brains and get free design advice. I don't charge for my consultations but perhaps I should.

01/26/2015

Holly R.

Arrived and verified what I wanted, then started and worked past two hours to finish the job! I was very impressed..

Description of Work
Did more than expected for same 2 hours purchased. Excellent work was done and I have hired them since for other work!

Work Completed On 11/10/2014

[member name removed], Thank you for using Austin Gardens for the cleanup and additions to your home landscape. It was a pleasure working with you. Jay Shirley, owner

01/26/2015

Mary B.

They were excellent! On time and did a really great job. Will use them to do more work.

Description of Work
Cleaned up yard and flowers beds. Raked and bagged 10-12 bags of leaves!

Work Completed On 01/06/2015

[name removed], Thank you for using Austin Gardens for clean up at your home. If you decide to move forward with the customizing and up dating that we spoke about, we would love the opportunity to help you achieve your dream home. Jay Shirley, Owner, Austin Gardens Landscape

12/04/2014

Maria S.

We purchased a 'Big Deal' for $129 (4 hrs of landscaping/yard clean up). We had communication with Mr. Shirley soon after the purchase and we scheduled for him to come out once he organized his schedule because there he received a large number of this deal purchased. He called and scheduled me within a month of purchase. We have two pretty large flower beds that were overrun with weeds and grass and my husband and I were unable to tend to. We thought we needed at least the 4 hours of work. Mr. Shirley called me the morning of 12/4 and reminded me of our appointment today and showed up at our house around noon. They were done within 2 hours and cleaned up the flower beds and the base of two trees nicely. He offered us some great advice and educated us on planting for the Spring. I really appreciated his open communication and sad to find out that he doesn't work out side of Lewisville Lake on a regular basis. I will have to contact him in the Spring for a bigger project. Thank you Jay.

Description of Work
Cleaned out two large flower beds.

Work Completed On 12/04/2014

11/25/2014

Tamara S.

They have never been able to schedule it and get the work done. Every time I talk to them they seem to have excuses and I am just tired of waiting on them to get the work scheduled.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for 4 hours of landscaping.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 11/11/2014

We were never notified by A.L. that (Member name removed) had purchased the deal. When we received our first correspondence, it was her complaining and mentioning a refund. (Member name removed) was informed that day, that her work was scheduled for the 17th or 18th of December along with the 6 others in her area. She has decided not respond. We urge her to check the correspondence time line. To this date, we have received no other communications from this client. I suggest she get with A.L. for her refund.

11/12/2014

george T.

He did very good at figuring out what the problem was and took the opportunity to call and work it out. I was not aware that the provider first reaches out on the Angie's List message center.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for $129 for Four Hours of Landscaping/Yard Clean-Up.

Work Completed On 11/12/2014

Mr. [removed member name] and I have since spoken and it was decided that there was some misunderstanding about the terms of the agreement in regard to scheduling. We have his work scheduled for this week and I will ask for a clarification after the work is completed.

11/02/2014

Dianne F.

Went very well, did exactly what they committed to do.

Description of Work
Lawn care

Work Completed On 06/01/2014

06/27/2014

Laurie M.

The crew showed up right on time. Got right to work and finished early. Courteous and hard working.

Description of Work
This was a big deal and they cleaned out flower beds, cut back bushes, and removed old vines growing over fence.

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 11/18/2013

04/02/2014

JAMIE L.

We initially bought the Big Deal ($129, 4 man-hours) and I believe the company did have trouble keeping up with all the Big Deal purchasers. We eventually did have 2 guys + owner show up (he called the evening before) and they worked hard for 2 hours and did a lot of general yard cleanup - mow/leaves/trim shrubs. They basically did whatever they could manage in 2 hours so it was not a "choose what you want to have done" type of deal. I think if they do another Big Deal it needs to be clearly stated that this is general yard clean-up and that special requests (like trimming a particular tree or whatever) will be honored when possible just to set expectations - I see in other reviews that some folks were disappointed about not having a particular area addressed. I did get to speak with Jay while he was here for the Big Deal work to discuss other landscape improvements we wanted to make and based on how knowledgeable he was, decided to hire him again for some additional landscape work. Jay and a crew of 2 guys spent a good part of 2 days here for the remaining landscape work. Jay was present for most of the time in order to oversee his crew and answer questions, and at one point even took me to the nursery to look at tree choices. He is very knowledgeable without being pushy, very keen to be sure we were happy with the work. We had one little miscommunication about a tree choice but worked it out. I work from home so I did some peeking as the guys worked and was pleased to see how carefully they did everything. They measured carefully for the trees, were careful as they dug in order to not damage existing pipes/sprinklers, and I observed them spend a good amount of time with a leveler to be sure the retaining wall was, in fact, exactly level. The retaining wall looks great, and we are happy to finally have some good quality trees planted on our property. The two guys who worked for Jay were great - very courteous and hard-working, very sweet to our very nervous dog, and it was pleasant to have them on our property. I would love to have them back if we need more work done. I think the price was fair given the amount of time Jay spent in speaking with us about our choices and being sure that what we picked would work well for our location - soil type, etc. He clearly knows his stuff. The work took a while to schedule due to the weather and their workload but we were flexible and not in a hurry. We would definitely use Jay and his crew again for future landscape needs.

Description of Work
$129 Big Deal purchase: general yard cleanup (mow/leaves/trim shrubs) Other landscape improvements: plant 2 trees, replace steel edging in front yard beds, new sod (10 sq ft), small retaining wall to support an air conditioner unit on a concrete slab, remove several crape myrtles. The 2 trees themselves cost about $1000. The remaining cost was labor/materials

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/02/2014

03/31/2014

Curtis E.

Due to high response to this offer, it took a while to get it scheduled initially and then had to be postponed because of the ice storm in Dallas in early December. I called back to re-schedule and because of the location being inconvenient for the provider and me not yet being ready to have more work performed at that time, we mutually agreed to just cancel and request a refund. The interactions with Austin Gardens were fine. It was just an unfortunate weather-related event that caused issues.

Description of Work
The service was cancelled a month or two after the initial scheduled date (don't remember actual date).

Work Completed On 02/14/2014

03/27/2014

Johnna B.

THEY WERE THE VERY BEST AT PULLING ALL WEEDS [most just pull a few or hack them off and they come back. I will be using them again for spring (get-ready). I am out of their main-stream area so they are not available for weekly service or I would use them if I could.

Description of Work
They did misc jobs: pull weeds, replant a few pots and put weed & feed on the lawn.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

Work Completed On 02/27/2014

03/17/2014

Hance B.

They showed up on time, did what I asked for the time period of the big deal. They worked hard the entire time and left when the time ran out.

Description of Work
Yard chores

Work Completed On 01/15/2014

02/14/2014

Anke E.

After some initial delay to start the work, mainly due to the ice storm and cold weather in December, Austin Gardens did a fantastic job - my yard, which was quite overgrown with weeds, looks wonderful. There was so much to do that I had to purchase additional labor hours but it was worth it. I met with the owner before they started and they came and did the work and left before I came home. Garden cuttings were bagged and bags were sitting at the curb ready for trash pickup. I am very satisfied with the work.

Description of Work
Cleanup of yard

Work Completed On 01/13/2014

02/10/2014

Camilla D.

The job was done exactly as described and then they left without saying anything to us, although we had requested additional work.

Description of Work
Yard clean-up

Work Completed On 02/05/2014

01/27/2014

Amy C.

We kept having scheduling issues and we were not able to get it scheduled for a while. Then when we did get it scheduled he told me later that he could not make it.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for landscaping.

Work Completed On 01/20/2014

We are truly sorry that we could not connect with [removed member name]. We tried scheduling her work with other while in the area, but were unable to accomplish. When we had the other projects scheduled, she ended up being out of town on business. Logistics and co-ordination made it a no win situation.

01/13/2014

Andy and Gretel R.

Very helpful, courteous and professional!

Description of Work
They cleaned up the leaves from our yard and removed a hedge we wanted taken out.

Category lawn service, leaf removal

Work Completed On 12/09/2013

01/07/2014

Mark A.

Excellent for the 4 hours of purchased work. Will re-engage for landscaping update and occasional maintentence.

Description of Work
Cleaned up landscaping around pool area; trimmed trees.

Work Completed On 12/07/2013

12/13/2013

Cynthia R.

This was a "Big Deal" purchase -$125 for 4 hours of landscaping/lawncare valued at $250. This was a very popular offer and was sold out so they were overwhelmed with more than 30 commitments. I bought it in early November hoping to get the work done before Thanksgiving but it ended up being the Saturday after. They scheduled the jobs based on locations and apparently my house was pretty far away from where they usually prefer to work so that was the soonest it could be done. I tried to call them but never got a live person so ended up just emailing. I never actually got to speak with Jay until Saturday around 1pm when he called to say they would be there in an hour. Jay showed up with 2 guys. I had asked them to mow, weedeat, trim an ivy covered retaining wall and pick up leaves in our front yard. Our front yard is on 3 levels and they only mowed one. They did trim the ivy but there was no leaf pick-up. Overall they probably did about $125 worth of work but no where near $250 worth. They might be fine if you set-up a regular service but I could not recommend them for another "Big Deal".

Description of Work
Mowed, weedeater, pulled a few weeds.

Work Completed On 11/30/2013

As it was explained to [removed member name], we were working these jobs into the schedule along with our existing client base. We did schedule her job along with two others in the far south part of Dallas county. Our base of operations is the northwest corner of the county. Drive time is 30-45 minutes one way, so we tried scheduling close projects together. Hers was our third cleanup for the day. I introduced myself and asked for a brief tour of the service areas. Just as we were getting started, family (son, I think) showed up to visit with a new baby, so she was understandably distracted. We went about doing the work she had lined out. Her site is very rural in nature. Not a typical neatly manicured landscape. Beautiful setting in a rustic, natural area. Split level home on a sloped site. Only a small patch of turf grass and loads of thinning vines and ground covers, some shrub rows, and rock outcroppings. We mowed the turf area after having to weed eat a path to get the mower into position. We mowed the area, string trimmed the ground cover beds, and "hedge" trimmed the vine covered wall. I even pulled some of the weeds in the ground cover beds out front. Trimmed the boxwoods around the deck area. We raked up a couple of bags of debris and trimmings, set them beside the road for trash pick up, and blew the site clean. We were there over an hour and a half. The agreed upon time of 4 man hours was exceeded (3 man x 1.5 hours = 4.5 man hours), but we wanted to make her happy. Did not even mention if she wanted extra work for an additional charge. We asked her to walk the site and see if there was anything she wasn't satisfied with. She pointed out some shrubs beside the garage that she wanted lower and we quickly did them before we left. I think she was in a hurry to get back to the new baby. As far as her statement about communications, she was given my phone number, which she says she tried to call, yet I have no knowledge of receiving. That number forwards all calls to my personal cell phone, so I should have received it. Not sure what happened there, as all my other calls seem to get through, that I know of. I sure seem to receive all the calls from people wanting to sell me things. Jay Shirley, Owner Austin Gardens Landscape

12/03/2013

Robert M.

ne foot pile of dirt.What they did they did ok. However, I have a pile of dirt inside one of my fence doors to my backyards. This was one of two areas I really wanted cleaned up. The one foot high dirt pile was created by us moving our fence out to create a larger lawn. I asked if they could do this and I was told they didn't have enough space in their truck to carry away this material. I was told by them that maybe they could at least spread the dirt. Well the time ran out and they didn't touch that of dirt. The second largest area I wanted cleaned up was a rose bush and another bush entwined together in the back left side of my lawn. This really looks good when trimmed. Unfortunately they didn't touch that rose bush either. They focused on the easy work.

Description of Work
The company had 2 men each do 2 hours of work. They worked hard but they did the easy jobs.

Work Completed On 12/02/2013