Ace Handyman Services - NW San Antonio & Boerne

Founded 2013 • With Angi since February 2014

Ace Handyman Services NW San Antonio & Boerne provides professional services to owners of homes and commercial businesses in the Northwest San Antonio and Boerne area. Below is some additional information about us. Work is completed by our certified craftsman who are employees. We have insurance that meets the General Liability requirements of the City of San Antonio and the City of Boerne. When you call, you will talk with a caring person in our office, not someone on their cell phone driving their truck. Your time is valuable, so we schedule appointments at specific times that are convenient to your schedule....

handyman (105)woodworking (21)electrician (14)ceiling fan installation (10)drywall (10)general contractors (8)interior painting (7)deck cleaning (5)plumbers (5)door installation (4)house painting (4)siding companies (3)

11/03/2020

Paul F.

Technician was knowledgeable and did good work. However I feel the $362 price was excessive. While the windows were high off the ground, the charges included three hours of labor and ladder rental. And strangely when I was asked to submit feedback on a “ Rateabiz” website, it did not appear.

Description of Work
Cluster of windows sealed with caulk

Work Completed On 11/03/2020

[Member Name Removed] - I just noticed this review in Angie's List - my apologies for not responding sooner thru this medium. We indeed did get your feedback via Rate A Biz, and your review and my response hit the Rate A Biz website as well as the "Reviews" section of our website within a few days of you posting the review. Here is a copy of what I responded to your initial review via Rate A Biz..... (**we have you in our system as Mark, not [Member Name Removed]) Mark - Thanks for the review and for your input. We greatly appreciate the feedback on our craftsman's experience and knowledge and we're pleased that the work was done in a quality manner. Although it won't reduce the amount you spent for the work we performed, I'll try to address what drove the cost. The work was straightforward - remove caulk, prep the surfaces and recaulk around exterior windows. The issue is the location of the windows - we assessed how to get to the upper 2nd story and determined that an extension ladder would not allow us to do the work effectively and safely, and that we needed to use a different method. We rejected scaffolding because of time and cost, and used an extendable skyscraper ladder. This ladder requires two people to get it in place, move it, use it and tear it back down. We charged our standard trip charge and only charged for a portion of the time that was spent by the craftsman and by me. We really appreciate the business and hope that in the future we can help you again on projects that from your perspective get you more 'ROI'.

08/15/2020

Jeremy G.

Two years ago we hired a contractor to redo our second floor bathroom with a jacuzzi tub set in expensive tiling and had the misfortune of landing an exceedingly inept plumber through that contractor. The plumber did not bother to support the acrylic tub with anything other than a wooden frame on the top even though the installation instructions clearly state that it needs to be set in mortar. As a result the tub would flex everytime it was filled and cause the caulk to crack. We have two little ones who were having a spray party in the bathtub one day and caused a huge leak into the garage downstairs. We contacted a different plumber who said we had two options - 1. Redo the whole bathroom which we couldn't afford 2. Support the bottom of the tub with spray foam insulation, which would have to be updated every few years when it shrank Then we had a stroke of awesome luck. We called Ace and Hiram came in. He is a very meticulous and hardworking man. He said he would do what it takes to set the tub in mortar. Through a hole in the subfloor, he painstakingly put in handfuls of mortar and supported the bathtub like it was supposed to be. The tub is now set as solidly as instructed and does not flex when full. He was also very respectful to our house and sweet to our kids who played with all his stuff! After Hiram fixed the tub, our kids had another spray party - and no issue of any kind. We highly recommend Hiram - and Ace.

Description of Work
Supporting existing acrylic tub with mortar

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 08/10/2020

Wow! We really appreciate this review. Thank you for your feedback and for trusting Ace Handyman Services of NW San Antonio to help you. We believe that our people are our greatest strength, and your kind words about Hiram are really appreciated. We are happy to have solved your challenge and look forward to helping you in the future. Here's to many more spray parties!

08/13/2020

Charles C.

Trevor was actually early (yay!) courteous and professional. He had to go get the spray from Schnabel's Hardware but he promptly returned and finished the job. No complaints. Would hire again.

Description of Work
Destroy a wasp nest on front porch near front door

Category pest control

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

06/24/2020

Michael N.

Jason arrived and performed efficiently, professionally and, in my judgement, superbly. When the job was done, he cleaned up and even carried the old fans and fixture away to the junkyard. All in all, a very pleasant experience which I intend to repeat.

Description of Work
Replace and Install 3 ceiling fans and 1 ceiling fixture.

Category custom cabinets, electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 06/24/2020

06/20/2020

gary B.

They cut into the wall without checking for pipes or wires (stud finder). And charged me for correcting. So a $300-$400 job Cost me over $1000. I called the company and explained this to them. I was told the owner would contact me but that did not happen. Terrible!!!

Description of Work
Put in 2 medicine chests and move 2 lights

Category custom cabinets, drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 06/20/2020

06/17/2020

June P.

Great. He did the work quickly and professionally

Description of Work
Kitchen Cabinet Drawer repair

Work Completed On 06/17/2020

06/04/2020

John C.

Fantastic ! He custom fit new door and frame and made it beautiful. Bret was on time, polite and extremely knowledgeable. Best job ever!

Description of Work
installing a door

Category picture framing, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 06/04/2020

05/13/2020

Dayna B.

The work is not complete, but I have used this company before. He has painted the laundry room and setting the tile. I trust him to be in my house, and his work is great. Now I did get two bids and they were the best bid (thank goodness). We had started a remodel of my house over a year ago, and in the middle of it I became sick. Everything stopped. We are starting again and I am so pleased we are using this company.

Description of Work
Painting, tile work in utility room, then we will go hall and bedrooms.

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, interior painters

Work Completed On 05/13/2020

04/02/2020

Mike B.

Great job...would absolutely hire again.

Description of Work
Installed ceiling light

Work Completed On 03/25/2020

08/11/2019

Ron W.

Very Well. Fast and friendly service.

Description of Work
Hanging TVs and Moving cabinet

Work Completed On 08/09/2019

12/11/2018

Terri L.

The light kit did not fit my ceiling fan. I had other small electrical projects and since Trevor had the time, he worked on those while I went to the store to buy a new fan. He had the other projects completed by the time I got back and he then installed the new ceiling fan.

Description of Work
Needed a light kit installed on my ceiling fan

Category electrician, handyman service, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 11/21/2018

07/18/2018

Jerry S.

The work required a ladder that would reach about 25-30 ft. They arrived on time and were friendly and professional. They finished the work in less than the estimated time and cleaned up everything before they left. I will definitely use them again when the need requires.

Description of Work
Repair work on windows on second story

Work Completed On 07/18/2018

06/25/2018

BETTIE B.

When I called I asked for a specific workman who had a great review. I was told that he would be out of town for several weeks and all the workmen were equally qualified. I was then told that someone would come and do the job with out first looking at what I wanted done. He would come out, look at it, get the materials needed and do the job all in one day. He arrived almost at the expected time but had absolutely no idea how to do what I wanted and left after about 5 minutes. Incidentally I had another carpenter come at a later date who immediately understood what I wanted and fixed it in about an hour.

Description of Work
I wanted a frame built around my existing front door frame to widen the area it covered to hide stucco damage.

Category handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 06/25/2018

The craftsman you wanted was Hiram, but he was unavailable at the time, so we sent another skilled carpenter to try to complete the job. We arrived on time and ready to work as you said. We do apologize for the craftsman not doing the job and understand you're frustration with not having it fixed that day. However, I ask my craftsman not to do a project they don't feel they can complete with confidence. It's better not to do a job than to create a bigger problem if they aren't comfortable with it. I'm glad you found a carpenter that could complete the job to your liking though. In our defense, we incurred the loss of not doing the job and we charged you nothing for coming out to look at it. We would rather not do a job, than do a poor job. That policy has served us well and kept us out of trouble.

03/14/2018

Lynne L.

Had a 2-week delay in work being completed because of rain. Work was performed by Hiram, who is worth his weight in gold. No joke here; he's absolutely the best! Hiram is honest, trust worthy, and tells it like it is. He's a Type-A personality who stands by his word and provides the best solution to your problems. The Handyman Matters Company is fortunate to have such a great person. The door going from our family room to the deck had to be replaced. There was wood rot, so we expected the door would have to be replaced. We didn't realize that the exterior door casing was rotted as well. Hiram completely remade the door casing, removed the old door and all the wood being replaced, rebuilt the door jamb, and managed to somehow get our screen door to fit in as well. Amazing. Of course, the new door and woodwork were all expertly painted. The door going from our kitchen to the garage was removed, sanded down, and repainted. It was pretty banged up after 20 years of use, but it looks like a brand new door now. The most difficult door to repair was our front entry door. It's mostly made of leaded glass and metal, but it too was beat up. Most importantly, however, is the fact that this originally gorgeous door was never properly hung. I've had several so-called "experts" tell me that the whole house has shifted and the door will never fit properly. Well, it never did fit properly, so I figured it would need to be replaced. Hiram spent some time looking at the framing of the door and heaven only knows what else. He stated that the door can be properly hung if the door opening is properly adjusted. I can't say I wasn't smiling! I won't keep the reader in the dark. I'm sure Hiram had plenty of frustration, but my front door looks fabulous. It's been rehung, has a new shiny lock set, and has been repainted inside and out. I cannot tell you how impressed my husband and I are with the work performed by Hiram. I wouldn't hesitate a moment before calling Handyman Matters and asking for Hiram's service again.

Description of Work
Three doors were replaced or repaired.

Category picture framing, handyman service, replacement windows, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/14/2018

03/05/2018

Michael M.

General carpentry repairsThey perform the work they said they would. They did it very well.

Description of Work
General carpentry repairs

Category contractors, handyman service, woodworking

Work Completed On 03/05/2018

01/11/2018

Susan S.

Carpentry work was excellent and quick to make last minute change. painting not as good, painter’s texture equipment didn’t work after an hour an a half. Office staff was very understanding and appropriately adjusted the price. Would recommend using them

Description of Work
Carpenter and pajnting

Work Completed On 01/11/2018

12/31/2017

Jackie L.

No complaints, came in and performed the services discussed in the scheduled time purchased.

Description of Work
Mirror hung, shower caulking, and replace weatherstripping

Work Completed On 12/31/2017

Thank you for using us. We look forward to hearing from you again soon!

11/29/2017

David H.

Went fine. I think he may have missed something initially, but he did repair (whatever it was) and the fridge is working just fine.

Description of Work
Our Sub Zero fridge became warm (it is over 25 yrs old). He came to house, diagnosed it, repaired it, I paid. He stated the system was old and that it may need major repair ($$). Then, the fridge became warm again in 4 days. I called and he showed back up, worked some magic (for no extra charge) and the fridge has been fine ever since (3 months now).

Work Completed On 09/01/2017

Thanks for the review, but this one, we cannot take credit for. Your appliance repair company probably helped you with this.

11/04/2017

DON F.

Responded quickly, arrived promptly and did a professional job.

Description of Work
Replaced an exterior door from the garage that had wood rot at the frame.

Category contractors, handyman service

Work Completed On 11/03/2017

We were happy to repair your back door for you, we hope you call us again for your next project.

11/04/2017

DON F.

Work was done well and quickly for a reasonable price.

Description of Work
replaced exterior door from garage

Category handyman service, doors

Work Completed On 11/03/2017

10/16/2017

Lin H.

All of the handymen were great and very professional. They do excellent work, so the price that you pay is well worth it. They did such a great job that I called them back out for two more days to make additional repairs. I left a list of everything that I needed done and they took care of it all.

Description of Work
Ordered and installed back door. Wall damage repaired and re-textured. Window trim, windowsills and baseboards replaced throughout the majority of the house. Installed ceiling fan and made electrical repairs to light switch and outlet.

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, lighting, woodworking, ceiling fans, doors

Work Completed On 09/26/2017

Thanks for the review, we strive to keep your house healthy and you stress free. Pleas call us again when you need some more work done. We appreciate your business!

09/13/2017

Oak D.

Excellently. Hiram (the handyman) was magnificent. Not only was he friendly and charming, he was a master at his work. Work was accomplished in a professional and timely manner. Hiram discussed all his work prior to beginning any of the multitude of projects. There is no question, whenever we need a handyman or any repair work done we will call Handyman Matters and not proceed unless they will guarantee that Hiram will be the person to accomplish the job

Description of Work
Extensive repairs and replacements on decking, wooden railings, arbors, and cabinets. Painting and staining of outdoor wooden replacements. Much of the work required gutter removal and replacement, extensive custom carpentry work, and weather stripping. All cabinet hinges were changed and "slow closure" devices were installed. Hiram also accomplished some minor plumbing repairs and patched drywall. The work was superb.

Category drywall, gutter repair, handyman service, plumbing, deck cleaning, woodworking, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 09/12/2017

We sincerely appreciate your feedback! Hiram will be happy to hear this review too!

08/21/2017

Allen M.

Professional, timely and excellent in every way by Brett Garner.

Description of Work
Install picture shelves. Install picture shelves. .