Fertile Ground Gardens

Founded 2001 • With Angi since August 2009

Fertile Ground is an organic landscape maintenance, design and installation company in Austin, Texas. We were named the Best of Austin for Landscape Services in the 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Austin Chronicle Readers’ Polls. Founder Julie Donie is a certified Travis County Master Gardener and a Licensed Irrigator with twelve years of landscaping experience. Co-owner Alexa Villalobos has more than 5 years landscaping experience and a background in construction. We are one of the few all-organic landscape service companies in Austin. We are NOT a “mow and blow” operation. We are garden craftsmen who practice knowledgeable pruning and plant care. We use earth friendly methods and build healthy soil. Our gardens thrive even during the heat and drought of summer. Our designs are sustainable as well as beautiful. We are “Green Garden Certified” with the City of Austin....

Emerald Lawns

Emerald Lawns

When we started in 2006 from the spare room in our home, we knew we wanted to address the challenges of Central Texas soil and weather by treating employees like family and each lawn like our own. Now, with three branches across Central Texas, our growing team is still dedicated to helping ensure that folks from San Antonio to Waco have a green & weed-free lawn, healthy trees & shrubs, and fewer outdoor pests.

08/24/2015

Went well as always. We have them once a season to do all necessary gardening.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
All necessary trimming, pruning, removal of dead shrubbery, deadheading flowers

CATEGORY lawn service,hardscaping

03/15/2015

Where to start.  I?ve been lucky enough to interact with Alexa many times even though she is always super busy.  She is extremely sweet, an expert in all things outdoors, and most of all a pleasure to work with.  Alexa and her crew are very punctual, meticulous, and work a job as if it were their own house.  The cost may be a little more than other companies but you have to factor in that every me...

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Pruning 50 15 ft tall wax myrtles, planted cherry laurel, and cleaned out beds.

CATEGORY hardscaping

04/28/2014

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
Very professional. I really like the job they did.

CATEGORY landscaping,hardscaping

08/11/2012

After a slow start, they worked very quickly. In their defense I contacted them during their busy period, when planting is crucial, while all I wanted was hardscaping, which could wait, so that was honestly fine. Don't call expecting landscaping tomorrow, but they will get to you and they'll do a great job, plus they're a really lovely crew.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
I initially met with Alexa in March, as well as meeting with another landscaper. I eventually decided to go with Fertile Grounds because a) they were cheaper and b) I want to support organic and local businesses. It took a while to get the first plans back, but once we got the ball rolling the work was great. The installed a stone and gravel pathway, two limestone retaining walls and three waist height reclaimed corrugated roof metal planters, all of which I love. Alexa had some great ideas and once the rest of my house construction is done we'll be installing pomegranate trees and some hogwire trellises from planter to planter to create a shaded walkway through them.

CATEGORY landscaping,hardscaping

06/01/2011

Julie from Fertile Ground was a delight to work with. She was professional, knew Austin, knew the plants, knew what would grow. I enjoyed her crew -- 4 out of the 5 people were women working hard which I found inspiring. They are committed to working with nature and use organic means. I felt like she was doing good things with the small part of the earth given to me, making it fertile ground.

DESCRIPTION OF WORK
I had recently bought a house that had a very neglected yard, but a lot of huge beds that someone had put in maybe 10-15 ears ago. This was a project that took a couple of months start to finish in the Spring. Julie, the owner, spent sufficient time with me to get to know her before I hired her. First she "cleaned up" -- weeded, took out, pruned what was here. This was a big job and included removing dead plants and plants that had been overgrown as well as weeding. Her expertise at pruning was excellent. Then, she laid an incredible amount of compost/soil and mulch. This cost us more than other companies, I've used other companies who say they will nourish the soil with amenities and do very little. She really gave a neglected yard what it needed. At this point I paid her for the work she had done. Then, she made a plan, a landscape design. She took time to find out what I liked and didn't like. She preferred native plants or plants well adapted to our climate, which set with me fine. She met with me again to discuss the plan and made a few changes on my request. Then, she implemented the plan. Her whole crew comes to plant so it's all done in a couple of days. After all was done, she returned a couple weeks later to check on plants and "tweek" a couple of things on my request. We spent a lot of money, but that price included 12 small tree/large shrub, 1 live oak, sodding the front lawn, and 60-70 smaller plants as well as everything mentioned above.

CATEGORY landscaping

Garden & landscape maintenance, soil amendment, shrub & tree pruning, mulching, hand weeding, integrated pest management, garden design & installation, irrigation service & repair, annual plantings, garden renovation.

MasterCard, Check, Visa