Don's Automotive

Founded 1974 • With Angi since June 2006

1636 S 1st St

Austin, TX 78704

Award winning. Employees are NOT paid on an individual flate rate basis. This is to promote teamwork within the shop and to the shop and the vehicle owner working as a team. We spend little to nothing on advertising as we consider it more important to budget for the latest diagnostic equipment and up-to-date comprehensive technical information services....

01/11/2018

Nell C.

I have been a customer at Dons Auto for 15-20 years. On Dec. 15, my car had a breakdown which required a multi-day, multi-thousand dollar repair. Don could not complete this huge repair before his shop closed for winter break between Christmas and New Years. I considered going to another shop, but a friend had agreed to loan me a car, so I Ieft my car at Dons while he was closed. I anticipated that it would be first-in-line for service when he opened on Jan. 2. Dons shop was swamped when he reopened on the 2nd and he chose to service other customers ahead of me. On Jan. 8 I had to return the loaned car and get a rental. I sent an email, Don replied and explained his policy: “In the time that removing, dismantling, assembling and reinstalling this engine requires, we could keep 15-20 other cars on the road.” I replied and literally begged Don to work on my car. Don defended his policy but agreed to start work on my car the next day. I should have left it at that, but in my reply I unfortunately used the words “Its not right” in reference to his prioritizing other customers ahead of me. Don wrote back that he was reassembling my car and I could pick it up to take it to another shop. I drove the 25 miles into town to speak to Don personally, so he could hear my voice when I said that I wasnt accusing him of being unethical. (Don is very ethical, but I believe he is wrong about the issue of prioritizing and that he has problems with communication.) I even apologized to Don, not because I thought I was wrong, but because I felt sorry for him seeing the state that he was in. He was locked in his own world and determined to show me that he would not deal with a customer who said that he did things that werent right. On Jan. 10, after waiting since before Christmas for Don to work on my car, I had my car towed to another shop. Don did not charge me anything.

Description of Work
head gasket replacement

07/14/2015

Carrie S.

Don's only works by appointment, so I called to check their price and make an appointment. They quoted me $622.00, and I made the appointment. On the day of service, I arrived in the morning, dropped off the vehicle, and returned about 5:00. It wasn't ready when I arrived, but it was a short wait. The good, and the great: Good -- They were very straightforward with me about what it needed, how much it would be, and they performed the service as well as could be expected. Great: -- When I picked up the car, they told me that they mis-quoted me the price on the phone, and they honored the price, even though I offered to pay the difference. They also gave me a referral to an alignment shop that they have good experience with. All in all, I was very pleased with my first experience with Don's. I will most definitely return.

Description of Work
Replaced front struts on 2009 Buick Enclave

05/26/2015

Ignatius C.

I made an appointment thinking that the original problem was daytime running lamp modue was the issue reason being both headlights were out, and after googling the issue that what was coming back on my search, I explained that to Don and he stated he would let me know after they looked into it, After Dons service team had looked into problem found it not to be the DTRL, but one side headlight was out and one side had a failed relay, Was really happy on price for this service work.

Description of Work
Replaced passenger side front headlight , reinstalled driver side front headlight ( I replaced this myself before taking it to Don's, could not get it to seat properly due to tight area and my inflexibilty) replaced head lamp relay driver side.

10/27/2014

Sergio S.

After replacing the charcoal canister the problem has gone away and I have finally passed the state inspection (8 months overdue).

Description of Work
My Toyota Matrix had a P0442 that the dealer couldn't fix. The diagnostic info was lacking but Don's suggested a repair that was most likely to fix the problem. I had researched the issue on my own so when he suggested to replace the charcoal canister I immediately knew he had good experience with this type of problem.

Category auto repair, car inspections

02/03/2014

Leslie C.

OK, this price sounds rather high for oil change + odds & ends. But I keep bringing the car back to Don's because he keeps it running and running and he has saved me HUGE amounts in the past--usually when a chain place has diagnosed problems that they say will cost a fortune to fix, and I bring the car to Don who gives a different diagnosis and charges me 1/3 or 1/2 the amount. Or says it doesn't need to be fixed at all. This has happened with both of our cars. Don is clear and forthright and I don't care if people call him grouchy or grumpy. He doesn't do work that doesn't need to be done, he almost always does work within a day if I make an appointment and bring the car in early in the AM, and I like him!

Description of Work
Routine visit on an old car with 202,800 mi on it. Needed oil change, new radiator cap, bunch of odds and ends. "Check engine" light was. Don (or Tony) diagnosed "weak" catalytic converter but said another shop could fix it cheaper than Don's could, and he gave me a referral.

12/14/2013

Claire B.

Although the cost was much higher than I had hoped for Don explained in detail the process and the rationale behind the costs. The work was done efficiently and on time.

10/29/2013

Sally I.

Well, let me just say, never again. Too expensive and the guy IS more than just grumpy. Ended up taking the vehicle to a nearby shop on S. Congress to have a bunch of other work done for LESS than half of Don's estimate. Very Happy with SoCo Muffler/Repairs. Update: That's too bad Don, but that is what happens when it is a family vehicle. Angie's called me and I was able to give them more details for confirmation. I also confirmed your attitude and confirmed our rating. We had great AND friendly service elsewhere.

Description of Work
Replaced sparkplug and ignition wires, performed scan.

Category auto repair

It is hard to give a specific response because I typed the name on the negative review into our database and it did not come up. I also looked at all the tickets from August 13th through the 15th and did not find any tickets in this price range involving plugs and wires. "Never again?" I can't find the first time. More information needed. It appears this individual has never done business with us. ---- Don

10/14/2013

Derek P.

They looked at my car's overheating problem. I thought they were very good, they were very favorably priced and they told me what was going on every step of the way. I was very happy with them.

Description of Work
The one car mechanic I went to was Don's Automotive.

09/22/2013

Joi H.

Provided service, got it done in one day. Had talked to them before making appointment to make sure they could get the parts they needed. The car has a California emission system. They are friendly and seem to be straight talkers, no trying to get you to do more services than you need. We've had them work on both our cars, now. We had been with another shop for many years but they closed. We chose Don's from the good reviews we found from several sources, including Angie's List.

Description of Work
replaced manifold and some related parts in 2001 Honda

09/21/2013

David S.

Everything well done, as usual with Don and his team. We've used them for several years, very happily. Don even tracked us down one time on vacation because he was concerned that the quality of oil had been compromised (due to his supplier, not the shop) and paid for us to get an oil-change ASAP. There had been no issue and the oil that came out seemed fine, but he wanted to do the right thing!

Description of Work
75k service interval

07/30/2013

Shirley K.

They were fantastic. Three other places had quoted me at a much more expensive cost and said there was an additional issue. I would definitely use them again. I have referred them to all of my friends. The car is running beautifully.

Description of Work
They did a repair on my car.

07/09/2013

M T.

Monday morning and my car does not work. It starts ok but only runs a few seconds. I did my homework online and thought my problem was likely a fuel pump gone goofy. I arranged a tow to Don's after talking with him on the phone about my car woes. He said it would be unlikely to be a fuel pump with my accord but could be an ignition switch issue. The tow happened and don called later that afternoon to tell me the news. My car had been sabotaged by a spider which had built a web inside the mass air flow sensor. I was only out a labor charge and the tow add on. Don is great and I have relied on him for years.

Description of Work
They fixed my car like professionals and did not gouge me.

06/17/2013

Russell H.

Excellent. Professional! Quoted me over the phone estimate, stayed in contact the whole time they had my vehicle. Got approval before doing and work after diagnosis. Will use again. Great shop.

Description of Work
Brake job and replaced relay (wouldn't start)

06/10/2013

Kathy S.

Great; finished in time frame and at cost promised.

Description of Work
Replaced timing belt and water pump; fixed coolant leak

06/07/2013

Sarah R.

We have been going to Don for about 14 years. I wrote a review about a year ago, and i want to again express my appreciation. I took my car in yesterday and got it back today. Right front hub bearing had to be replaced. Tony seems to be Don's right hand man, and he was in charge of the work on my car. As always, I was called right away with an explanation of what they found, what would be needed, and what the cost options would be depending upon possible complications. Tony explained that if a new hub was needed, he had only been able to locate one from the dealer but that he would continue to look for an after-market one. As it turned out, the hub did not have to be replaced. The fee for this work was very reasonable at $200. When I went to pick my car up, I asked Tony what the hub bearing looked like. He took me into the shop and showed me the old part from my car, what was wrong with it, and even showed me the new tool that they had recently purchased to facilitate work on hub bearings. Don has advised us truthfully when work was not needed, when an old car was no longer worth repairing, and when work could safely be postponed. It is wonderful to have the peace of mind that accompanies trust in your auto mechanics.

Description of Work
Replace right front hub bearing.

06/01/2013

Mathieu S.

Very happy with the overall work and service performed. I had already done my research on the issue so knew what needed to be replaced. (which they confirmed) Though I dropped the car a couple hours late, they were able to do the work the same day. Only downside is that they don't have a shuttle to take customers to and from shop so I had to take a taxi back to my office. They also provided me a quote on the 90k service for our RX350. At ~$70-$100 was significantly cheaper than I had been quoted by Lexus (~$700) or Beardon Automotive ($280) since Don said the service consisted primarily of an oil change and a number of visual inspections (Lexus of Austin was proposing doing a number of things beyond what's outlined in the manual). In future will be taking both of our Lexus' there even though they aren't a Lexus specialist per se (service Japanese cars in general)

Description of Work
Replaced faulty air-mix servo motor on Lexus sedan

05/21/2013

Kathleen L.

Don and his employess are very professional, thorough, honest, and educated mechanics. They found other minor problems with my car but told me repairs were not necessary at this time. This is in sharp contrast to my experience with other mechanics, including Christian Brothers, who stress an emergent need to repair everything they can find wrong under the hood and everywhere else. My car required more than a full day's work, so the price was reasonable, especially since Don guarantees their work. I was very impressed by my experience at Don's and feel I have found a great small business that I can depend on.

Description of Work
Checked coolant system for leak, checked A/C system for leak, repaired A/C leak, added coolant, repaired faulty wiring connection from previous work done at another auto service shop

05/20/2013

Jennifer S.

Dons was very reasonably priced. I had gone to Firestone to purchase tires and was told the cost of is repair would be over $1400. I looked on Angie's List for an automotive place and found Dons. They staff at Dons is very straight forward about your vehicle, when in was called with the cost, it was pretty much half of what Firestone said it would cost. It has been over a year since that service and my vehicle is still running strong.

Description of Work
Repaired the axel.

02/19/2013

Sage P.

This place was great with about a 6 hour turnaround from dropping my car off to it being ready for pick-up. I already knew the water pump needed to be replaced (making extremely annoying sound with engine running). I had two other places give me estimates of about $460 and $450 (Toyota Dealership). Don's got it done for $325, saving me (more than) the money I had originally used to start my membership here at Angie's (due to advice given to me by a family member when I said I needed car work done). For as long as I live in Austin, Don's will be the place I go for car maintenance.

Description of Work
Water pump replacement in a 2004 Toyota Camry (4 Cyl.)

02/11/2013

Jolana W.

It went great once we took it to Don's. We took it to a shop that was closer and they were going to do more work (not needed) and charge 3 times more. When we got to Don's they were very informative and let us know what we needed and how much it would be

Description of Work
Replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils

12/27/2012

Jonathan P.

They were great and very straight-forward. I will definitely work with them again in the future.

Description of Work
They repaired my car and preformed a diagnostic.

12/26/2012

John J.

Good experience overall. You don't deal with the "service manager" in lane 3, you deal with the owner face to face. I like that.

Description of Work
I have taken my 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe into Don's on two occasions. Both trips were good experiences and I certainly will go back the next time I need work. The first trip was for my brakes and they did a great job getting them taken care of, and they were a mess. The second time was to replace an alternator that was fritzing out. The work was top notch, but the best thing was talking to the owner and getting good and reasonable diagnosis and recommendations. Don't be put off by the roughness of the shop, these guys are pros who just want to fix things right.

10/17/2012

Rachel B.

Very professional, quick turnaround, will use again.

Description of Work
Took the car in for "a funny noise." went without an appt, was told it could be a couple days but got a call in a couple hours. Ended up with brake repair along with rotor replacement.

10/11/2012

Arthur D.

I called him, but he could not see us that day, so told us to see someone else to top off the steering fluid until he could fit us in the next day. When we came in he told us what the basic price would be and started working. Because the work was only labor for cleaning the pumps and putting in clamps, it only cost $71.00! He was efficient and it was a positive experience. His intuition to know what was wrong with the car over phone was worth the price alone!

Description of Work
I was having trouble with my car. When I steered left it made a whining sound and it just got worse.

08/23/2012

Sarah A.

Don was very informative describing the nature of my concern in terms that I could understand. He didn't try to sell me services that I didn't need even though I would have paid for a new set of brake pads and roters if he said that I needed them. He said that he would have my car back before the end of the day and it was completed in the time that he promised. Don was very friendly and professional. I would definately bring my car back in the future.

Description of Work
Brake CheckTire RotationBlinker Bulb Replacement

Auto Service
    Auto Radiators
    Auto Inspections
    Auto Transmission
    Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover

Steering, suspension, brakes, electrical & computer, fuel systems, engine, transmission & emissions/check engine light services. Asian and domestic makes, comfortable with hybrids, specialize in Toyota and Honda.

Tire sales, state inspection, detailing, very old cars, European/British models, car stereo.