Chem-free Organic Pest & Lawn Svc

Founded 1990 • With Angi since September 2011

9475 Hwy 290 E

Austin, TX 78724

Additional DBA - Chem-Free Organic Pest Control, ABC Pest Control Inc, Chem-free. Additional website - www.abcpest.com. Award winning....

06/04/2018

Dave P.

Went very well. Professional service. It was costly, but was in line with estimates provided on the web.

Description of Work
bed bug extermination

Category pest control

Thanks for choosing Chem-free and sharing your experience.

11/11/2017

Dakota D.

As a company, they were pretty good, and I have only one complaint, but it is a really, really serious one. In general, Chem-Free was effective, responsive, and cost-effective. However, at least some of their agents are dangerously ignorant about their own products, as my story will attest: Our landlord hired Chem-Free to treat the house we lived in for the first time in 2010. They showed up promptly, were professional in their interactions, treated the property and left--and their treatments worked as well as any others. So that was all good. The day after, both my roommate and I menstruated early and our cats got really sick. Since the pest control was the only thing that had happened recently that all four of us could be responding to, we asked Chem-Free to only treat the outside from here on out. Chem-Free did very nicely and attentively listen to our complaints, and assure us that neither early menstruation or cat illness could possibly be a side effect of their "all natural" "chemical free" treatment. But to their credit, they still listened and did as we asked. I was (at the time) happy to assume that by some bizarre coincidence all four of use were uniquely sensitive to some additive or another. I didn't really care, since they agreed not to treat the inside of our house any longer. We stuck with them for five years and I don't regret it, but here is the thing: When I finally got around to asking what their "chemical free" pesticide was made of, they told me it was a combination of pennyroyal extract and rosemary extract, and that was when I got *mad*. Because here are two things that I know, that apparently Chem-Free does not know (or didn't know in 2015 when this conversation took place), and there is *no excuse* for their ignorance: 1. Pennyroyal extract is a powerful natural abortificant. Tried-and-true methods for inducing miscarriage include drinking pennyroyal tea, and putting pennyroyal extract on your skin. So, I believe Chem-Free is exactly why my roommate and I both early menstruated the day after treatment. Further, I believe that if either of us had been pregnant, we wouldn't have been any more. That Chem-Free seemed unaware of this possibility, and could be treating the inside of homes of pregnant people without warning them of this danger, makes me deeply upset. 2. Rosemary extract, in high concentration, is poisonous to cats. (That's why in olden times, some folks kept feral cats off the property by planting rosemary hedges.) So Chem-Free's leaving high concentrations of rosemary extract in our house is, I believe, exactly why our two cats got sick the next day. And they both recovered quickly, but still, the fact that Chem-Free may be treating the inside of homes of cat-owners without warning them of this possible danger makes me really mad. I'm actually pretty happy overall with Chem-Free and their service, and I think if you're not pregnant or planning to be pregnant, and you don't have cats, they're a great option. I'm not really trying to talk anyone out of using them. It's just I was just looking at their website (because my apt is considering hiring new pest control, so I was checking out options), and noticed that *none of this* is mentioned anywhere on the website, which in retrospect I find deeply concerning. I think people (especially pregnant people and cat owners) really do need to be aware of this before they hire this company, and sadly, based on my own experience, I don't trust this company to inform you, so I'm taking that on myself. Finally to clarify the "yes, would hire again" above: I probably would, if I weren't a cat owner or a pregnant person. But first, before I hired them, I'd quiz them about the substances in their treatments (which--extracts are naturally derived chemicals, so frankly I find their description of "chemical free" to be completely erroneous; it doesn't have to be a synthetic chemical to be a chemical) and make my own evaluation of their safety for me and my family. Because based on the one, single agent I talked to in 2015 (and maybe they aren't all that bad), I don't trust their evaluation.

Description of Work
Chem-Free was actually hired by our landlords, not by us, to manage pests (mostly insects and arachnids) in the house we rented.

Category pest control

Hello, thanks for choosing Chem-Free and sharing your thoughts. First, we choose all our products with the safety of our customers, their pets, and children, as well as our technicians in mind. We make sure extensive research, testing and approvals have been done in conjunction with all products we use. Our technicians also go through extensive training on the labels (regarding ingredients and cautions) and the safe & proper use of the products they carry. We have checked with our product distributors and have confirmed we do not currently or have ever used any products that have "pennyroyal extract." However, we do have products that have peppermint oil in them. Perhaps the Chem-Free employee you spoke with didn't communicate well and "peppermint" sounded like "pennyroyal." That's a bit of a stretch, but we can honestly say none of our past or current products use pennyroyal. As it relates to rosemary oil; this is an ingredient that we do have in some of our products. The products we have that have this as one of the ingredients are all considered exempt from registration from the Environmental Protection Agency due to their very low toxicity. That being said, when we use it, it's not in "high concentration." Also, due to its intense aroma, we try to avoid using it inside all together. In closing, Chem-Free truly strives to be good stewards of the environment and the health of our clients and employees. We will not use products that have not been approved by the EPA and other safety groups. We regret the issues you've referenced and are happy to speak to you anytime about any products used.

07/25/2017

Jaime G.

They always come out if I ask them to come out.

Description of Work
They come out and look for openings in the house where pests maybe getting in. They knock down wasps or hornets nest. They put organic spray in the room or the corners of the garage so pests don't get in. They put down mosquito grannuals in the back yard.

Category pest control

Thanks for the kind words.

05/24/2017

Mary G.

Chen-Free was really easy to work with, and the initial meeting was relaxed with no high pressure sales techniques. The rep provided lots of information, and once I hired them the work was done quickly and professionally.

Description of Work
Rodent exclusion

Category pest control

Thanks for choosing Chem-free and sharing your experience.

09/03/2015

Robert V.

They did good work but they were a little on the costly side.

Description of Work
They did pest control.

08/23/2015

Anthony D.

We're very pleased. The entire experience was professional and punctual. They assessed our property (inside and out), than sent a tech to perform the service. Both the assessor and the tech were terrific and my wife and I really appreciated that they explained everything they were doing. (We used a competitor of Chem-Free the previous year and they couldn't be bothered to let us know exactly what we were getting for the $200+ we were spending.) So far, the service seems to be effective, but we'll update our feedback if necessary.

Description of Work
Basic pest control service

Category pest control

Thanks for the great comments.

07/30/2015

Liz D.

We had a stubborn ant infestation in our horse barn and Alita was able to get it taken care of in a few sessions. They also do periodic treatments in and around the house and it has really made a difference. Would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Pest control

Category pest control

Thanks for choosing Chem-free.

07/17/2015

James G.

We moved into our house last year, in July 2014. It was a newly built house, and the sod had just been laid, and a sprinkler system installed, with pop-up sprinklers in the back, and underground soakers in the front ? as is standard in our new community. In the fall, we contacted Chem-Free Lawn Services (owned and operated by ABC Home and Commercial Services) to provide us with weed control in our lawn. Chem-Free came out, did a complete assessment of our lawn, including running our sprinklers in the front and back to measure the water output for additional recommendations. Based on this assessment, we signed up with Chem-Free for their ?Turf Enrichment Program?, which only includes natural fertilizers, weed control, disease control, and insect control. Around February of this year, 2015, a man from ABC (the parent company), came to our door and asked if we had sprinklers in the front of our house, we said yes and asked ?why??? He advised us that he had just aerated the entire front lawn and damaged the soaker sprinkler system through the entire front. Now, this person never once knocked on our door to let us know he was performing this service, nor had we asked for, contracted for, or paid for this service. He advised us that he?d have to tell his supervisor what happened. ABC then came out a few weeks later, and tried to ?fix? the sprinkler system, after digging up the yard during rains and making a mess of the front lawn, he advised that it was too damaged to fix, and they?d have to just replace the entire sprinkler system. We weren?t happy, but we were cordial and as long as they fixed what they damaged, we were willing to work with them. Finally they came out and dug up and replaced all the soaker lines. This left large trenches of mud/dirt throughout our entire front yard including the new sprinkler tubes exposed through the yard ? our lawn, which was less than a year old. In March, we contacted them and spoke with their landscaping department, Alma, and were advised that they would take care of it, and that they were so sorry. We asked them to replace the sod and they agreed. I received an the following email ?Dear Mrs. Galiardi, I have scheduled you for 4/1/2015 for us to install sod in the trenched areas and bury the exposed drip irrigation. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. Alma Acosta?. A week or so following, a person showed up from ABC (the same person who aerated our lawn causing all the damage). He had another person with him who was shoveling dirt out of the back of their truck. While the other person was doing this, he advised that they ?could? put down strips of sod in the trenched places, but that it would just dry up and die, and that it was much better to put down topsoil, and as long as we watered it, it would look just like ?new?. Since they obviously planned to do this anyway, since they showed up with soil only and no sod, and since he advised that it would look like new, we agreed, again giving them a chance to fix the problem. In April, we received a bill for $409.19 charging us for the topsoil. (After 2 requests, they finally got this straightened out and stopped billing this to our account). A couple weeks went by, and the yard still looked horrible, neighbors asking us ?what happened to your lawn??. In May, we called and again talked to Alma. She agreed that sod in the entire front lawn would be replaced at their cost, and that we were on the schedule for the first week of June. We have not seen or heard from them since. So, they aerated our lawn (a service which we never requested), without telling us about it ahead of time, when they had already done a sprinkler assessment and knew we had soaker sprinklers in the front, tried to ?band-aid? the problem several times, and I guess finally gave up. It should also be noted that the front yard is full of weeds, so they aren?t even fulfilling the contracted services we actually did pay them for?weed control.

Description of Work
We signed up for weed control only, and they ruined our front yard.

07/10/2015

Michael B.

The service was great and the workers are awesome. They are always on time. I would tell a friend that it is what is advertised. I have been dealing with them for a long time. The price is average and the quality is good.

Description of Work
At home I use Chem-free.

Category pest control

Thanks for being a long-time customer and sharing your thoughts!

06/22/2015

Rodney N.

I do a quarterly service at about $70. They are usually very prompt and pretty thorough. The service was good-satisfactory.

Description of Work
I used Chem-free Organic Pest & Lawn Svc for pest control.

Category pest control

Thank you for choosing Chem-free and sharing your thoughts.