AC Electric

Founded 1984 • With Angi since June 2007

6803 Cactus Crossing

Austin, TX 78737

Austin electrician in the area since 1984. Tx electrical contractor license # 20902. Accepts payments in cash, checks and credit cards via website. More information on our website: acelectricaustin.com....

08/20/2018

John B.

Mike and Debbie were good to work with for the street to house electrical cable mast replacement. It ended there. I had a circuit breaker opening on a house circuit, indicating a short. Debbie said she'd pencil me in for a service call when they were in my area. Weeks passed. Then Debbie called to say her electrician would be driving by my house on Memorial Day and would make a service call. I waited all day, a no-show, without a courtesy call. Soon after, the stay cable supporting the mast had pulled out of the roof, leaving a hole in the roof and an unsupported mast. I called twice to get them to fix it and had no response. I can't recommend them.

Description of Work
Replace electric service cable (1st job) Repair house electric short circuit (2nd job)

01/09/2018

Laura F.

Perfect. He did a great job and had no problems with his service or the work product. Mike was very accomodating as my schedule changed and had great communication about the time and date for his service. He was professional, thorough, diligent in getting the job done. I also liked that he was friendly and kind. He did the work for the quoted price. I asked him to take a quick look at something else and he did without charge. He also gave me a few ideas about hot tub installation - totally out of his scope but he's just that kind of nice guy to help if he can. I strongly recommend Mike and will call him forever more if I ever need further electrical work.

Description of Work
Electrical work for my outdoor hot tub.

Category electrician,pool cleaners

11/18/2017

JOAN B.

My experience with Mike was HORRIBLE! He was unprofessional and rude. Then he left abruptly, saying that he could not satisfy us without doing any work!

Description of Work
I spoke to Debi and requested light fixtures to be replaced in the bathroom, under the counter lights fixtures in the kitchen, ceiling light fixture in the laundry room and ceiling fixtures in the garage. Also light bulbs changed in the recessed lights. Also I sent the pictures below showing the work that we needed.

Category electrician,lighting

Hello Dear Customer, I am so sorry that your were unhappy with your experience with us. When we reluctantly agreed to pick up the fixtures you described to us verbally and with photos of your existing fixtures, we violated a long-standing policy. There are simply too many choices out there for us to know for certain what you want exactly. When Mike was told that he had it all wrong, he knew that we were not a good fit for you and your husband. We have learned from experience that we cannot please all the people all the time. We apologize for wasting your time with what seems to have been an exercise in futility for all. I hope you find a solution to your electrical issue soon. Sincerely, Debi and Mike Short Owners, AC Electric

12/16/2016

Kelly T.

Their quote was quite a bit lower than the competition (by a few thousand dollars) but that didn't affect the work - their professionalism and work ethic was stellar. Work was performed on-time (only delay was from the city permit for the panel, not under their control). They went above and beyond to fix minor issues not covered in the original scope of work and were a pleasure to work with. Thanks, AC!

Description of Work
Copalum to mitigate dangers of aluminum wiring in older house and replacement of electric panel

06/16/2016

Gregory S.

The electrician lived in the area so that was handy. He was able to come after hours and did an excellent job. He had to come back with an outside receptacle cover but otherwise was able to fix everything on the first pass. We will certainly use AC Electric again in the future.

Description of Work
Tracked down bad GFIs and outlets and fixed them. The home was built in the 70s and we have remodeled it but these items went bad on us.

Category electrician

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to review AC Electric. We are always glad to know that we have met or exceeded your expectations. Please do let us know when we can serve your electrical needs again in the future. Regards, Debi, for Mike Short and AC Electric "Serving the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 32 years"

10/16/2015

Tom S.

When I called to schedule, I was given a window of 8:00-12:00. This was not great, but I was planning to be home in the morning, so I decided this was ok. On the day of the scheduled service, nobody showed up. About 1:30, I called and left a voicemail. I received a call back 30 minutes later and was told Mike was on his way. Again, nobody showed up. I called again around 3:30 and was told there was a miscommunication and Mike would not be able to make it. I understand miscommunications occur, but this happens way too much in this industry and has become the norm.

Description of Work
Services not performed.

Category electrician

Thank you, Sir, for helping us to see your perspective in this situation. We never like having to reschedule a customer or put them off from a scheduled appointment time. Please do understand that even with double checks in place that it will occasionally happen. So sorry that we blew it. We try to learn from our errors, so please know that your words have helped future customers. Sincerely, Debi for AC Electric Quality with Integrity Since 1984

04/26/2015

Charles B.

The electrician arrived on time and I explained what I wanted. I had all the lights in place, minus the wiring. I also had the motion detector switches, they provided only the electrical work. This was an Angie's Deal of two hours of labor for $99. The gentleman got that done within the time and I wished I had something else I needed done. He was courteous, explained to me what he did, or was doing and for the light switch that was acting up he explained that so I was reassured that I didn't have a wiring problem - the wire to the specific switch was not properly secured on one pole. I would/will use them again.

Description of Work
They installed two lights in my kitchen. They also put in motion detector switches, one in a closet - so it comes on when I open the door, one in the laundry room and two in the powder room (one for lights and one for the fan). They also checked out a light switch that seemed to be arcing and fixed the issue.

Category electrician,lighting

Hello Mr. Customer— We SO appreciate your positive words regarding your experience with our company. AC Electric tries to meet our customers needs on every level you described, and we are very pleased that you were satisfied. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Appreciatively, Debi, for AC Electric Quality With Integrity Since 1984

09/04/2014

Darlene I.

I wanted to like this company. I had high expectations based on the reviews here. Something must have changed. A one day job took three weeks. One electrician called in sick and that brought the entire process to a stand still. When he returned to work, he started new jobs instead of finishing mine. Only after multiple follow up phone calls did I get someone out to finish the work. This company seems very unorganized and poorly managed. It seems like they bid on far more work than they are equipped to handle. I would not do business with them again.

Description of Work
Replaced fans and light fixtures in a new home. Installed under cabinet lighting.

Category electrician,lighting

Dear Ms. Customer— I am very sorry that you were not happy with AC Electric in every way. We hope you will accept our apologies for the things that did not go as either of us would have preferred. Thank you for helping us to see where we can improve our service…. we do not take these reviews lightly, but evaluate ourselves, our crews, our public persona, our relations with customers, and anything else that needs to be looked at closer when a negative review appears. I'm glad you were good with the price and the quality of our work. We hire good men to accomplish the work for us, and they do their best to make our customers happy. Being human is inconvenient at times as there are occasions when illness will keep them off the job. Our very busy calendar at this time means it causes a time-crunch that affects every customer and every tech who is assigned to that job. When they return to work they have to make up for days worth of missed work You were gracious to be patient, and we appreciate it. Ms. Customer, I respectfully point out that your job was never considered a one-day job… it had expanded well beyond the original scope of work by the time we were beginning. When the scope of the job grows, so does the time it takes to accomplish it. And, a good portion of the extra hours put into your job were spent to make sure you were pleased with the final result. Again, thank you for your input. We appreciate your business, and the opportunity to serve you and your family. Sincerely, Debi—for AC Electric Meeting the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years

08/23/2014

James T.

The work was done fine. Price seemed reasonable, compared to another estimate, but not a bargain, and first job was done fairly promptly. That is when problems started. I found it is a bad idea to try to communicate by email with Mike. I thought he had agreed to do job 2, but when I talked to him about it while working on job 1 he did not remember it, and said that he got too many emails to remember them all. (He uses email to send bills though.) Anyway, he did the work on job 2, again reasonable seeming price, though I did not get other bids, and reasonably promptly done. But then no final inspection for job 2. Send emails, Mike says okay, nothing happens, more email, no inspection. Finally I wise up and call office, and office manager gets it taken care of pronto. Maybe partly my fault for not calling sooner, but still. . . . Overall it was very frustrating. I probably would not use AC Electric again, though I would not discourage someone else from using as long as they were careful to follow up on the phone and not rely on email. Totally separately, unrelated to AC Electric, when you have a permitted job done, always check with the city to see it has passed final inspection - you can do it on their website - and don't just take a contractor's word for it. It can be a real headache to reopen later.

Description of Work
Two separate jobs: 1. Rewired two electric meters to be combined into one (place used to be a duplex). 2. Remedial work for a garage constructed a couple of years ago for which another electrician never obtained a final inspection (it failed the first try), and when I recently found out - after Mike's trying to get a permit for job 1 - I got Mike, the AC Electric owner, to fix the problems of the first job, and asked him to get that job finally inspected, and he had his name put on that reopened permit.

Category electrician

Dear Mr. Customer— Thank you for taking the time to review AC Electric's work on your home. We are glad that you are satisfied with the completed project, especially as. Mike was willing to go the extra mile to reopen your expired permit. We would like to address your comments concerning the expired permit. During the process with project 2, we were all at the mercy of the inspectors at the City of Austin. Mike was told that the permit would be cleared; apparently the inspector was unable to do so in a timely manner—they are also extremely busy with all the building being done in Austin. When a contractor requests an inspection and that inspection passes code requirements, he rightly expects that the permit will be finalized. Unfortunately, in the case of your permit, this did not happen. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience caused by this delay. Your closing comments regarding the need for homeowners to be proactive in checking on permit status is absolutely correct. We appreciate you business, Sir. Thank you for calling on AC Electric for your projects. Sincerely, Debi—for AC Electric [removed hyperlink] Meeting the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years!

08/13/2014

James C.

I had a very positive experience with AC Electric. I was in need of an electrician because the plug on my dryer did not quite match the outlet that was in the wall. When I called AC Electric, Debi was very courteous, asked all of the appropriate questions, and said that she would try to have someone come out to my house by the end of the day (a promise which she kept). The technician (Troy) was excellent. Not only was he very knowledgeable and efficient, but he was also very courteous and great to work with. Indeed, after he finished putting in the outlet for my dryer, just as an afterthought, I asked him if he would mind moving a phone jack from one side of a wall to another. Without hesitation, he went out to his truck to get the necessary tools and came back and did the job at no additional cost. I will definitely contact AC Electric again the next time I am in need of an electrician!

Description of Work
Replaced outlet for electric dryer.

Category electrician

Thank you, Dear Customer, for taking the time to review our work on your electrical project. We love knowing that we have been able to please our customers, and especially to hear compliments on our technicians' work. AC Electric employs very qualified men who share our concern for the needs of the customers. We appreciate your words of affirmation, as well as your business, and look forward to hearing back from you the next time you have an electrical issue. Regards, Debi—for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984

08/06/2014

Cory L.

Father and son team of Barry and Bobby performed the work with a positive, professional attitude. Very pleasant to deal with. Their work is excellent, too. Pricing is great. I got 3 estimates through Angie's List and they came in with the best offer. I would choose AC Electric again in a heart beat. The recessed lighting looks great. We are preparing to move, and Barry even gave me a name of a guy who can do minor touchup work on any nicks in my walls. Thank you AC Electric! Thank you Barry and Bobby!

Description of Work
Removed kitchen lighting and installed recessed can lighting -- 4 lights.

Category electrician,lighting

Thank YOU, Dear Sir, for the opportunity to serve your electrical needs. We love hearing that our crews have been able to complete the job more than just satisfactorily. We agree that Barry and Bobby are an asset to AC Electric. We are so glad you are happy with the results, and we hope it helps your house to sell. Please call us when you need our services in your new home. We appreciate your business! And thank you for taking the time to review our work for other Angie's List members. We appreciate our Angie's List customers SO much! Many Regards, Debi—for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

08/04/2014

johnnie D.

it went very well. They were professional, on time, and efficient.

Description of Work
Inspect and service two ac units and repair another one.

Category electrician

Thank you, Dear Customer, for taking the time to review our work in your home. We always appreciate kind words of affirmation that resulted from AC Electric being able to meet your electrical needs. We hope to hear from you the next time you may have an electrical issue. Sincerely, Debi—for AC Electric Meeting the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years!

06/27/2014

Carri C.

I contacted this company for service and they never called me back. I would have appreciated a short call saying they are not taking new clients or update on Angie's list. I am new to Angie's list and am very disappointed thus far.

Description of Work
The provider failed to call me back when requesting service.

Category electrician

Dear Almost Customer— I would love to have a good excuse for not having called you back; unfortunately, it was most likely simply a case of not checking my notes thoroughly enough. We appreciate your effort to give us your business, and are truly sorry for the inconvenience we caused you. Please know that it was not intentional. Even when we are too busy to take on new customers, we take the time to let them know that, with rare exception. Thank you for letting us know where we blew it. We would certainly be glad if you decided to give us another opportunity to handle your electrical needs in the future. Sincerely, Debi for AC Electric 512-444-9700 acelectricaustin.com "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

05/31/2014

Richard S.

Mike is a very knowledgeable and experienced and friendly electrician. He showed up promptly and fixed the problem in less than a half hour. His rates are more than fair. I will not hesitate to use him again and recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Found and reset a well-hidden faulty FGI socket in the garage. Checked all non GFI sockets on the circuit for functionality.

Category electrician

Thank you Dear Sir, for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review of AC Electric's service. Mike Short has been a licensed Master Electrician in the Austin area for well over 30 years now. His experience and knowledge have given him a reputation for being a problem solver in the trade. I'm glad he was able to solve your issue, and to arm you with a bit more knowledge for the next time a similar situation arises. We appreciate your business, and look forward to assisting you the next time you have an electrical need. Regards, Debi, for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

05/30/2014

James D.

Debbie was great on the phone and made lots of suggestions to try and help us fix the problem before costs would be incurred. Troy was there in no time. Super nice ad professional. Explained the situation and how it needed to be resolved.

Description of Work
Fixed power supply issue at our pool. Also replaced a broken light fixture on our patio.

Category electrician,lighting,pool cleaners

Hello Sir— Thanks so much for the glowing review—we appreciate it when customers are able take the time to tell others that we have met or exceeded their expectations. AC Electric aims to get to the heart of the electrical issue as quickly as possible and then solve that issue in the best and most economical way for the customer. Our techs are highly qualified to do their jobs well, so we are always glad to hear that they have done just that. We look forward to working with you on your next electrical project! Regards, Debi, for AC Electric acelectricaustin.com acelec@gmail.com "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

05/16/2014

Elliot L.

Mike came out on the day and time we scheduled. He and his assistant went right to the problems and fixed them both. He's a nice guy and he knows what he is doing. Smart, courteous, punctual and the price was fair. Thanks for the great service.

Description of Work
Fixed to separate outdoor fixtures that has shorts.

Category electrician,lighting

Dear Mr. Customer— We so appreciate that you took the time to write a review of our work and our crew. AC Electric strives to be the best possible at what we do, and like it when we can please our customers. Thank you for entrusting your electrical issues to us; we enjoyed meeting you and look forward to hearing from you the next time you need a quality electrician. Regards, Debi, for AC Electric [hyperlink removed] 512-444-9700 "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

05/05/2014

Karen D.

He is great. would give him an A+++ rating. He came in and went straight to the problem. He installed a green light to outlet so that it will not overheat. He told me to call him anytime I need him to.

Description of Work
fixed problem with kitchen outlet

Category electrician

Hello, Ms. Customer— We are so glad to have been able to satisfactorily fix the GFCI issue you were having. Our techs are trained to trouble-shoot quickly and get right to the root cause of the problem. We hope you will keep our contact information handy and let us help you again in the future if you ever have another electrical issue. Sincerely, Debi, for AC Electric, LLC [hyperlink removed] 512-444-9700 "Serving the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years!"

04/30/2014

CAROLYN B.

It went wonderful! I called to schedule an appointment in the early afternoon and Mike agreed to come by that day. He arrived on time. He diagnosed the problems quickly and was able to fix everything. Two light switches needing replacing and replaced a previously incorrectly installed GFI outlet plug. I highly recommend this business!

Description of Work
Repaired all exterior plugs, front & back porch lights.

Category electrician

Thank you, Ms. Customer, for this glowing and encouraging review of the electric work we performed for you recently. We are always happy when we can make our customers happy, and appreciate you for taking the time to say so. Please do let us know the next time you have a need for an electrical contractor. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, Debi, for AC Electric 512-444–9700 / acelec@gmail.com "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

04/21/2014

Lisa S.

It has been a while since I had him come out, but I do remember that I was not pleased. When he came over, the technician said that had bad knees and a back and I would have the get up into attic myself. He basically just stood in the bathroom and told me what to do while I installed the bathroom fan myself. The service was not good and I paid for services that I ended up completing on my own. I would never use his service or Angie’s List again.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for two hours of electrical labor. I was having a bathroom fan with a heater light installed through the deal.

Category electrician

Hello, Ms. Customer— We were quite surprised to read your review of our service to you. Mike remembers coming to your home, and after reviewing the scope of the work (which required unexpected attic work), suggested that he would have to come back with one of our technicians at another date. He recalls that you offered to climb into the attic to help facilitate the installation, and even remembers that you were enthusiastic about it. His compliment to you was sincere when he called you "one of the handiest women he has ever known". We hope you have enjoyed having the new fan in your bathroom, and we certainly appreciated your business. Thank you for taking the time to review our service. Please accept our apologies for disappointing you. We appreciate our Angie's List customers tremendously. Sincerely, Debi—for AC Electric Quality With Integrity Since 1984 acelectricaustin.com acelec@gmail.com 512-444-9700

04/16/2014

Sharon C.

I was happy with the technician that initially came out. He was very professional and easy to work with, and the end result of the job was good. I was much less impressed when I interacted with the owner -- he was much colder and less professional!

Description of Work
I purchased the Big Deal, $119 for $200 of Licensed Electrical Work.

Category electrician

Thank you, Ms. Customer, for taking the time to review our work for you two years ago. We appreciate your business, but even more, we appreciate your honest words. We need to know where we miss the mark, so thank you for helping us see that. We need to know what to work on in order to serve our customers to the best of our ability. We know that we can always find room for improvement. Sincerely, Debi for AC Electric Serving the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years!

03/12/2014

Emma H.

I went to a local lighting store and got a replacement LED bulb and this has solved my problem. There was no charge for this from AC Electric--only the cost of the bulb at the lighting store. I am very relieved to have this problem solved and to not worry about the possibility of fire from the hot bulb. If I need an electrician in the future, I will definitely call them.

Description of Work
I called their telephone number seeking an appointment. I had also e-mailed them for an appointment. I described my problem to the woman who answered the phone. "I have a recessed light fixture in a shower that gets so hot that I can't touch the metal rim. I am worried about fire. " She asked me what sort of bulb was in the fixture and I told her it was a halogen bulb. She suggested that I change to an LED bulb since it remained much cooler than an halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs get VERY hot.

Category electrician,lighting

Thank you for your kind comments, Ms. Customer--we always try to help customers find a solution to their issue when it is an easy fix. While we must, of course, charge for service calls, we have always offered free verbal help, site visits to determine cost, and estimates Our website also offers free electrical advice--please visit acelectricaustin.com. I'm glad that our advice to simply change the bulb type was effective to solve your issue. We all feel better when our homes are safer, and you were right to be concerned about fire potential. Please do keep our number handy for the next time you have an electrical issue--we will be glad to help. Sincerely, Debi--for AC Electric Meeting the electrical needs of Central Texans for over 30 years!

03/03/2014

Holly G.

All the repairs were done in a timely manner, professional etiquette, and seemed very knowledgeable and reliable. All of our electrical problems were taken care of and we have had no problems since :)

Description of Work
.We are in a newer construction home, but there was shoddy electric workmanship when it was built....had lots of small issues in every room of the house...but all were fixed without any problems. Cost of service is a reflection of the amount of time spent....overall happy with th job performance!

Category electrician

Dear Ms. Customer— AC Electric is happy to have been of service with your new home and all the annoying little electrical problems you were having. We strive for this level of service and so appreciate your positive review. We're glad to know all of your electrical issues were resolved, and hope you will keep our number handy for future electrical needs. Regards, Debi—for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

02/05/2014

Whitney W.

No compliants. He arrived on time and was friendly and professional.

Description of Work
Installed ceiling fans and new overhead lights

Category electrician

Thank you, Ma'am! It was a pleasure serving your electrical needs. We appreciate the time you took to write a review and your words of affirmation. Please do let us know the next time you are in need of an electrician. Sincerely, Debi for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

01/31/2014

Kevin S.

Everything turned out well. The technician was very thorough, clearly explained the problem with the breaker box, and did a great job with the repairs. In addition, he was friendly and professional when dealing with us.

Description of Work
They made some repairs to our breaker box.

Category electrician

Thank you, Sir, for this encouraging and affirming review. We appreciate your business and the opportunity to take care of your electrical needs. We strive to have the best techs available—in their technical skills as well as their people skills. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely, Debi, for AC Electric "Quality With Integrity Since 1984"

01/29/2014

Belia N.

Also installed plug outlet for gas dryer. Only problem, they did not show me how the mark each breaker so that I would know which switch went to what part of the house, however the owner told me he would show me how to do that.

Description of Work
installed circuit breaker box...took about 4 hours and they worked in the rain!

Category electrician

Thank you, Ms. Customer, for your business, and for your words of affirmation that we were able to take care of your electrical issues. We will certainly be seeing you soon to take care of that detail with the labeling. We look forward to working with you in the future. Sincerely, Debi, for AC Electric Serving the electrical needs of the Greater Austin area for over 30 years