Avery & Sons Home Improvement

Founded 1976 • With Angi since November 2006

6462 Chase Rd

Millington, TN 38053

Owner operated. Uses subs. Cost is determined by a flat rate. No travel charges. Additional fee for 24 hour/emergency services. Home Improvement LIC #44.

07/23/2014

Jeff M.

My mother always told me if I couldn't say anything good about someone, then don't say anything.

Description of Work
Replace kitchen counter top and repair rotten wood on exterior.

03/19/2014

Debora & Greg P.

My husband and I inherited my father's house after he passed away and we need to have some repairs done to it so we can have it listed on the market to sell. We wanted to get several different estimates (which we have every right to do). My husband contacted a total of 4 different people from Angie's List and set up appointments spaced approximately an hour apart so that I could be over at the house the best part of 1 day to meet with them and go over what all needed to be done. Apparently, there was some miscommunication between Mr. Keith Avery and my husband about the time of his appointment. My husband told me that Mr. Avery was supposed to meet me at 1:30, so when it got to be around 1:45 and I did not see or hear from him, I got on the phone and called and told Mr. Avery who I was and that my husband had talked to him the day before and that I was supposed to meet with him at 1:30. Mr. Avery said that he told my husband to tell me that and quot;Iand quot; was supposed to call him when I was headed over to the house and he would see when he could meet me there. Anyway, he said that he could meet me at the house in about an hour or an hour and a half. Well, I was in the process of finishing up with another very nice man from Angie's List when Mr. Keith Avery arrived and knocked on the door. I asked if he was Mr. Avery when I opened the door and he said and quot;yesand quot;. Since I still needed a few minutes to close out my appointment with the man that I was talking with, I very politely apologized to Mr. Avery and asked if he could give me just a few minutes, and he immediately spun around with his back to me, started walking off and GRUFFLY said, and quot; NO, I DON'T DO THATand quot;. Well, needless to say his behavior and response left me and quot; stunnedand quot; for a few minutes. I felt like I had been slapped in the face. I just said, and quot;thank youand quot; and closed the door. I think what happened, is when Mr. Avery pulled up to the house, he saw the other man's truck that had his business name on the door and realized he had some competition. He was already mad before he got to the door. There was absolutely no reason for him to be so rude. It made me realize that I was glad to have seen this side of him before I chose him to do any work for us. I definitely would NEVER use his services - EVER because of his attitude !!!!

Description of Work
He did NOT provide a service, we only had an appointment to meet to discuss what he would charge to do some repair work for us.

02/05/2014

gregory C.

The son came out, measured the length of the columns and gave me quote. I will say, he did tell me I was given the wrong dia. cap and base. When I called to set up an appt, we agreed upon a time twice, but he never showed. I finally ended up doing the job myself and saved money.

Description of Work
They did nothing at all. I called to get a quote to replace 2 wood porch columns with fiberglass.

Category decks, handyman service

I do apologize for the inconvenience but my father was in the hospital during this time and then passed away on February 6th. I would love to have another chance should the opportunity arise.

10/10/2013

Melissa W.

Mr. Keith Avery and I got off to a rocky start. I had concerns about what I saw early in the process, which I called him about and documented with photos. He felt I was challenging him and became very defensive. No contractor should never speak to a client the way he spoke to me. In the end he promised the work would be A+ quality. That's all I wanted, the same level of quality I had perceived from the other reveiws. The 2nd day I was a lot happier with what I saw. I gave them their space to work and we didn't talk again until the job was done. It looks good now, overall. The painter did an excellent job. I had hoped for better cleanup of the site, however. There was debris left on the roof and scraped paint and lots of nails and small screws in the yard (I had to buy a large magnet bar and quot;sweeperand quot; to clean them up). I was told the rain would clean off the roof, but I feel it should have been swept off. When Mr. Avery and I spoke again, we were on better terms.

Description of Work
Replaced (where rotted) and painted exterior trim and replaced and painted porch posts.

Category contractors, house painters

07/17/2013

Steven N.

Mr. Keith Avery came to my house at my request for an estimate. He was friendly and professional. He pointed out some areas that were potential trouble areas and indicated how he would repair them to prevent the problems in the future. He and his works were prompt, polite, and professional. They completed the work in a timely matter and to my satisfaction. I would use Mr. Avery and his business associates again.

Description of Work
Repaired and painted exterior of house and tool shed.

Category roofing, house painters

04/10/2013

James B.

They were great. The outside of our house looks great and the reworked cabinets fit right in with the rest of the kitchen. Keith was able to a quick estimates and they we able to accommodate my schedule for the kitchen remodel. They were pleasant workers to have around and were not intrusive.

Description of Work
Keith and his workers replaced exterior wood and siding on our house. They reworked some existing kitchen cabinets so we could fit a countertop and appliances and did some interior painting and wood work in our master bedroom.

Category roofing, woodworking, home remodeling

03/27/2013

Thomas M.

I was approached by a contractor canvassing the neighborhood after a hailstorm for possible roof damage. With my insurance his estimate would have cost me about $5000 out of pocket. I had called Avery and Sons separately about replacing rotting columns on the front porch. During his inspection he told me he also replaced roofs and asked if I would like an estimate for that, too. His estimate was much lower and he showed me he was going to use the same materials and would be more responsive if anything was not to my liking. I went with Avery and Sons for price and responsiveness. Mr Avery was pleasant to work with, flexible to my schedule and had a great roofing crew. We actually enjoyed having them around. They cleaned up meticulously each day, were polite, and left the yard spotless after the job. We are very pleased with the quality of the work, the color of the new roof, and (perhaps best of all) the price which was almost exactly what the insurance paid. I have never had a roof replaced before, but I cannot imagine a more positive experience. I would highly recommend Avery and Sons for roofing work. The original reason for my call was to replace old columns. Mr Avery worked with us to select very similar looking fiberglass replacement columns which will never rot. They look as good or better than the original and they even matched the paint exactly.

Description of Work
Replaced the roof on the house and shed. Also replaced the porch columns, which were rotting.

02/11/2013

Michael B.

The repairs that Mr. Avery did was on a house I was preparing to put up for sale. There were multiple things that needed repair and each was addressed to my satisfaction.

Description of Work
Replaced rear entrance door, trimmed and painted. painted garage ceiling repaired several roof shingles interior painting privacy fence repair

Category roofing, woodworking, house painters

12/08/2012

Mark S.

Keith and crew did a very good and neat job. He was flexible in dealing with changes that we requested as the project went along. It turned out to be everything we expected. We plan to use him again in the future for any other repair work.

Description of Work
We remodeled two bathrooms to include new cabinets, counter tops, fixtures, vanity and wall papering.

Category home remodeling

08/15/2012

Joseph M.

The job over-all was excellent. The crew arrived on the 7th and finished on the 9th. They worked full days from 7:30 am to about 5pm. A reroofing job is messy to say the least. We were very concerned with nails in the back yard due to the close proximity of our pool to the house. Kenny's crew put tarps down to reduce the mess in the grass and to help keep the nails and other debris from the yard. The job went smooth and thank God there was no rain during the three days. They removed the old shingles, re-felted and applied the ice and rain barrier as contracted. The crew was professional and did not ask for anything. As far as mess goes I thought they did a great job keeping it to a minimum. They removed debris daily and use a magnete on the ground when complete. Kenny was attentive and always responded immediately to any questions or concerns throughout the entire job. After the roofing was complete, Kenny came with a final cleanup crew on the 10th. He personally inspected the roof and the grounds and ensured I was happy with the job. Once again they were fast, Clean and professional.The roof looks great and I'm looking forward to many years of worry free rainy days and nights.As stated above I dealt with Kenny Avery exclusively. I highly recommend Avery and Sons and will use them again

Description of Work
Contracted Avery and Sons to replace our roof. Dealt with Kenny Avery exclusively. Services to be provided:Remove old shingles, inspect decking, replace felt as required, apply ice/water barrier in all valleys, re-shingle using owens-corning architectural 30 year shingles, re-seal all roof vents. Contractor responsible for all removal of old materials and clean up. I also had them install an additional roof vent for one of the upstairs bathrooms.

08/15/2012

Joseph M.

When I hired Kenny, he told me that they were extremely busy and they would not get to the job for a couple of weeks. This was cosmetic work so time was not an issue. As promised, they came out to do the job a couple of weeks later. They repaired the wood, inspected the roof area above the problem and repaired torn shingles that were the cause of the problem. The job looks great.Fast, clean and professional.I Highly recommend Avery and Sons, and will be using them again.

Description of Work
I contracted Kenny to repair some rotten exterior trim. It was a small job but too high for me to reach. His crew came and went virtually unnoticed and did a great job. Fast, clean and professional. Good work, I'll use them again.

Category woodworking

07/23/2012

Vaibhav G.

.I prefer to get quotes via email and they were relatively ok with correspondence via this medium but we got the quotes and timing set-up via email and phone calls. The work was done as promised and in the time they had estimated. They had a reasonable price and the work done was quite good.

Description of Work
We had two upstairs bedrooms painted including scraping the ceiling (had the old popcorn ceiling), replaced our garage door, got an outside storage room door repaired and fence gate work done.

Category interior painters

06/17/2012

Linda H.

In September of 2011, there was a very intense hail storm at our house with golf-ball sized hail. It damaged our roof at the time, but we didn't realize it until later in the year, when there was a roof leak around the chimney. Our homeowners insurance covered the roof replacement, and we wanted to use someone who was local to our neighborhood. I called Avery and Sons for an estimate, and Keith Avery was very prompt. He helped us out prior to the work being done, by sealing the leak around the chimney, and then refunded the very nominal charge for doing that, when we signed on to get the roof replacement with him. The roofing work was done in a few days in January 2012, although it took about 6 weeks to get it scheduled. Keith supervised the crew doing the work and inspected the final job. The new roof looks terrific and made our house look so much better overall. The crew was very careful to clean up the debris in the yard and picked up any stray roofing nails with a magnet roller. We haven't found any loose ones! This was a big job, and we only had a few days with all of the roofing material and debris to deal with in the front yard. No problems with the roof since then either. They paid a lot of attention to detail work on the roof. I would definitely recommend them for roofing.

Description of Work
Roof replacement for hail-damaged asphalt shingles with 25-year asphalt shingles. The old roofing material was removed. Metal and pipe flashings and the vents and turbine were replaced. The chimney flashing was also redone. A small amount of decking needed to be replaced near the chimney.

06/05/2012

Peter F.

Excellent. I was very happy with the work!

Description of Work
The guys from Avery & Sons came in and repaired water damaged areas on my walls and ceilings. They were very professional, very knowledgeable and made sure the explain to me what they were doing as they went about the work. I'm very satisfied with their work and would not only use them again, but recommend them as well.

05/10/2012

Sharon H.

I've used them before for another roof. They are excellent.

Description of Work
I used Avery & Sons Home Improvement Company for roofing.

04/25/2012

jason G.

Based on the reviews I expected more from this company.

Description of Work
I called to get an estimate for installing basebord and quarter round on the floor in my living room, hallways, and dining room. My husband installed the flooring but was unable to complete the floors because of his work schedule. I called Avery & Sons a week ago, requested for someone to come out. The guy was very nice on the phone, but never asked my name or phone number. He said, he would call me back but he never did. I had to tell him my name at the end of the conversation, and I figured he may have been busy on a job or something and couldn't get my number. But, I ASSUMED he would call me back because he said he would and the world of cellular phones the phone number appears on the phone. Oh well, I was wrong. I called another company this week and they have completed the job and did fantastic work for an afforable price. In a matter of 3 days the estimate was done and the work was complete by someone else.

Category contractors, remodeling, roofing

03/19/2012

Terry A.

I was very very impressed. I decided to go with someone else, but I am going to keep their information for other small jobs that come up because they were very impressive. I didn't spend any money on the estimate. They just totally impressed me with their knowledge of what needed to be done and things of that nature. They impressed me with their knowledge and they impressed me overall of what needed to be done. It was a very close call. We used somebody at my church because they knew them. It was like a referral type deal. It was very close. It was tough deciding which one to go with. On a scale of 10, Avery and Sons were 9.9. What stood out about them was their knowledge, their expertise, and overall everything. They were so close to being chosen.

Description of Work
I had Avery & Sons Home Improvement out for an estimate on some minor repairs and exterior painting. Due to a homeowners policy, I had to do a few things around the outside of the house like fix some boards at the bottom of the house and repaint.

Category contractors, house painters

12/19/2011

Shawn H.

They were very professional and helpful. They did a great job explaining how they'd handle the project. Their price was reasonable.

Description of Work
I got an estimate to replace the roof on our gazebo.

12/17/2011

Carolyn M.

They were very prompt in even coming to give me an estimate. The only downside was they said they were going to come and they were 3 1/2 hours late. They didn't call to let me know that they were going to be late. Once they came, they did an excellent job. After they left I found a little water leak and they came back the next day to fix it. They were good workers and they were very nice and cooperative. I would use them again.

Description of Work
I used Avery & Sons Home Improvement to replace a medicine cabinet and a bathroom vanity light and a vanity cabinet.

Category handyman service, lighting, woodworking

12/16/2011

DAVID R.

Work was scheduled for week of Nov 14th, however, estimate for amount of work to be done seemed very reasonable. However, this contractor does not seem to follow up when delayed by weather or other obligations. I called him at least three times and was given estimated starting date, but he does not show up or call to reschedule. As a result I will contact another person to do the work.

Description of Work
The work was supposed to be on the exterior of the house: replace panels with water damage, repair or replace portions of the eaves with animal or water damage and so on.

Category woodworking

When I went on the estimate the member was told it would be a while before the work could be started and he said that is fine because it has been this way for a while. The outside work was scheduled to be done but the weather would not permit and customer was contacted both times. In the meantime he posted this comment. My record with Angie's List stands for itself with customers that I have completed jobs for. I hate that this matter came up but it was do to scheduling and weather. I hate that the member was dissatisified. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused him.

11/05/2011

Connie M.

Went really well. Arrived on time, worked around our schedule. It's great these days to find someone who does good work at fair price. Very trustworthy.

Description of Work
They knocked down a kitchen wall for us and made finished opening to match 1920s woodwork. Did painting, hung new ceiling fans. Excellent work. Also repaired and replaced underside of porch roof. Both jobs were done well. Price was good. may use them again soon. Very easy to work with. Friendly, honest. Just great experience.

Category remodeling, roofing, woodworking

06/23/2011

Peter F.

They did a great job, were very fast, knowledgeable, personable and did it all at a price close to $1000 less than the next closest estimate.

Description of Work
The crew from Avery and Sons came in and replace a good section of my back porch's floor that had rotted out. They also raised the porch where it had sagged and brought the whole thing level.

Category handyman service, roofing, woodworking

06/21/2011

John B.

The work began with dismantling the chimney box. The workmen had to endure a very steep roof, but were not in any way hampered by that. They were considerate enough to show me and my wife, Nancy, the old chimney box parts and explained the new developments the have come in the industry. At the same time those workmen were working on the chimeny box, another crew, including Mr. Avery were busy removing the rotten fence posts and replacing them with new posts cememted to assure stability. Mr. Avery explained that the posts would need a couple of days for the cement to harden before the sections would be placed back in the fence. The work on the garage ceiling was next. Mr. Avery's empolyee explained his work and showed us the renewed ceiling and the need to wait 24 hours before painting the area. The last work was on the Utility building. Two of mr. Avery's employees quickly but efficiently tore away the corner lumber and replaced it. They, then, installed the outerwall skirts and completed the job by re-painting their work with paint that exactly matched the Utility building's green color. The job completed, Mr. Avery's crew removed all the construction debris.

Description of Work
I contacted Mr. Avery after finding him on Angies list. I wanted an estimate of the work to perform a number of repair and replacement jobs around our home. The list of the work to be done consisted of: 1.) completely replace our chimney box. 2.) Repair two (2) sections of our back-yard wood fence by replacing two of the fence-posts that had rotted via standing water for years and returning the two sections of the fence. 3.) Our Utility building in the back-yard needed removal of the four corners and replacement with new lumber. Also, there was to be an addition of wooden skirting around the bottom of two sides and the rear of the building. 4.) Finally, two places in the ceiling of our garage needed to be re-worked to prevent further deterioration. After hearing Mr. Avery's estimate, I asked him to present me with a contract detailing his proposed plan to complete the various tasks. He said he would prepare the contract and bring it by for my examination over the week-end. He returned on Tuesday and I accepted the contract. On each of the tasks, Mr. Avery and his employees conducted themselves professionally and demonstrated diligence in completing their work. As I am disabled and cannot perform such tasks, I will again use Mr. Avery's company for those maintenance requirements that are always due and necessary. I will also be happy to redommend his company to my friends and neighbors. John R. Bell, Jr.

Category fencing, roofing, woodworking, interior painters

06/17/2011

Holly C.

Simply put, A+++!!! Let's face it, no one wants to read those really looooong reports! But I cannot say enough good things about Avery and Sons. They showed up on time, all the workers were polite and professional, and they did a great job! If you are looking for trustworthy, dependable, hard working people then Avery and Sons is the contractor for you!!! I would definitely use them again and would recommend them to anyone!!

Description of Work
Avery & Sons replaced some gutters and rotten wood. They also painted all exterior trim around my house.

Category handyman service, woodworking, house painters

12/23/2010

Ryan M.

They were timely. The quote was professional and you get an actual itemized quote, it's not just a piece of paper. Most of all they seemed fair, they were pretty straight shooters, in construction that's important.

Description of Work
They gave me a quote for some work on my screened in porch, painting, and drywalling.

Category handyman service