Weed Man - Knoxville TN

Founded 2007 • With Angi since July 2006

3.9

619 Barbrow Ln

Knoxville, TN 37932

Additional contact name - Dan Myers. Local independently owned & operated. Additional DBAs - Weed Man. Additional email - service@tnweedman.com....

12/15/2021

Susan L.

Horrible and worthless for any amount of money spent! I knew several home owners that also tried and canceled. Don’t know where to even begin so let me just say, you can service a yard in less than 10 minutes Never did anyone stay any longer! I can’t even take a walk around my house in that amount of time so that should say it all!!!

Description of Work
Fertilizer and Weed Control Lawn Care

Category lawn service, lawn treatment

05/02/2019

Troy A.

Requested a lawn evaluation and quote for fertilization and weed control service through Angie's list. Chose Weed Man for a quote due to high rating. After over two weeks I still haven't heard from Weed Man. Apparently he doesn't need the business.

Description of Work
Lawn fertilization and weed control

07/02/2018

Eileen F.

Excellent advice regarding frequency and height for mowing, along with irrigation timing and amounts. Very professional and best communication skills. Frequent advisories regarding time and date od services. Canceled other service providers because they totally lacked that discipline.

Description of Work
Lawn feeding and disease control

01/18/2017

Jennifer U.

They are easy to get ahold of. They are smart and helpful. You can typically speak to the the owner, which is great. They are pretty prompt. Usually they come when they say they are going to.

Description of Work
They do our lawn fertilizer and treatment.

05/02/2015

lisa A.

They just do the service seasonally. The work was completed right away. They do a great job.

Description of Work
We used Weed Man for our lawn. They did weed spray and fertilize.

05/02/2015

debby P.

They are able to control weeds that nobody else can. There was some really tenacious stuff in there and they were able to control it.

Description of Work
Fertilizing the lawn and putting weed killer down.

Category lawn service

04/27/2015

Randy P.

They were referred to by the neighbor and they have good quality service.

Description of Work
They mowed the lawn.

Category lawn service

04/06/2015

Donna A.

We heard about him through a neighbor. My husband is very pleased with the work they did. I think the quality of their work is very good.

Description of Work
My husband has been using a lawn service. His company is called Weed Man. He put some fill dirt in a low area and sowed grass seeds. They have also aerated and fertilized.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment

01/21/2015

Norma B.

11/06/2014

Theresa B.

They have routines they use for the different seasons. From aeration to killing weeds to fertilizers to seeding. They do it all and are very professional. You hardly know they are on your property, leave the bill on the door and work with you on the billing. My lawn went from yuk to beautiful within a year where other companies wanted thousands of dollars to do the same thing. I would highly recomend them and would continue to use them except we are moving out west and will not have a lawn! Very good local business!

Description of Work
Took our fairly large front and back weed filled yard to a beautiful, green, weed-free lawn.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

09/01/2014

Larry T.

To this day after three phone calls, two emails I have yet to actually see a representative from this firm. Finally talked to a person from the company who apologized for the delay in a) returning phone calls and emails and b) failure to show up to provide an estimate. I clearly stated I wanted to meet with someone when they came out to do the estimate to talk about the product. A week later as I was walking to the front steps I found a business plastic bag tucked under one of the decorative stones. Inside was a document which indicated someone had come out and provided an estimate. Since we had just moved into the house, I needed/wanted the yard fertilized to keep control of yellow nut sedge and crab grass (articulated during the many phone calls). Several weeks later I noticed fertilizer on the driveway and near the street a sign which indicated this company had fertilized, again without making contact with me prior. Long story short, the fertilizer/weed killer did nothing for the nut sedge or crab grass. I have taken care of that problem by going to Home Depot and buying the products to rectify the weed issue and I have corrected the communication issue by discontinuing service with this company.

Description of Work
Apply weed killer and fertilizer to the yard.

05/31/2014

Melodie L.

Description of Work
Sprayed for weeds and fertilized grass.

01/21/2014

Richard J.

Perhaps out of business.

Description of Work
Nothing - no one answered at least 4 phone calls

10/25/2013

Diana J.

The Good - the chemical weed control and grass fertilization went well. Workers arrived in a timely manner and did the job. Several applications were given over the year. The Bad - Getting them to commit to a time for the over-seeding was difficult. When they finally arrived, they over-seeded the grassy areas, but since they didn't have any straw on hand, they left the bare areas bare. They promised to come back that afternoon or the following day to finish. It took repeated calls to get them back. The Ugly - Two men returned and did a great job of sowing seed and placing straw on the barren areas of the front and one side yard. They also redid much of the work the earlier team had done. But they said that the boss had told them to only do the front; they refused to cover the barren areas of the back yard. One of those was a least five feet square. Repeated calls to the office got us nothing but empty promises. They never returned to complete the back. (We ended up purchasing seeds at Home Depot and doing the job ourselves.) Service is at best inconsistent.

Description of Work
Provided chemical weed control and grass fertilization. Prepared lawn for over-seeding, spread grass seed, and covered some but not all bare areas with straw.

08/12/2013

Karen W.

This is the 2nd year of using Weedman, but it will also be my last. Last year we used them for fertilizer, weed control, and bermuda grass control. Their notes they leave you after application say that "Weed Man is a continuous service company, your program will automatically renew next Spring". So I pre-paid the $403 in March thinking I was getting the same program as last year, but apparently that wasn't the case. I called in late July because I noticed the bermuda grass was looking a lot worse that it had before. They were very prompt in coming out to look at it, but they then tried to tell me it was "much less bermuda than last year". I called back and talked to a guy (I don't remember his name), who still tried to convince me it was better but also stated it would take 3 - 4 years to eliminate it. He made it a point to tell me that he usually talks to my husband and not me (which shouldn't make any difference). I told him that I understood that it would take several years to eliminate, and asked if I should expect it to get worse before it gets better. He said he didn't know. One thing he did state was that you have to scalp your lawn (down to the dirt) before seeding, which had not been told to us before. I guess since we didn't have them do the seeding last year they left that detail out. They did come out and do a bermuda control treatment later that week, but now I'm having to pay and extra $15 per treatment, because it apparently was not a part of the program that automatically renewed from last year. I wil finish out the year with them, but I'll be looking for a new company to service my lawn next year or start doing it myself again.

Description of Work
Fertilizer, weed control, bermuda grass control.

Category landscaping, lawn service, lawn treatment

07/10/2013

John B.

They were very nice. I only quit them because of the price. I was able to get cheaper and double the work from another company. I did not have any problems with them.

Description of Work
I used Weed Man - Knoxville TN for two applications for weeds for the front yard.

05/20/2013

Laura K.

Wonderful company! The only reason we did not renew our annual contract was because our lawn mowing company is now authorized to perform the same services for fertilization, etc. If our lawn company for some reason is not able to handle this we will not hesitate to return to Weed Man. They called several days ahead of treatment schedules to alert us to any upcoming treatments so that we could adjust our dog walking schedules. After a year with their services, our lawn has never looked better. They show up, treat the lawn, and leave a notice that they have treated. They are no where near as expensive as the bigger, national companies, and we felt as though we received very personal service.

Description of Work
We were on an annual contract with this company for lawn fertilization, etc.

05/09/2013

Brian M.

Weed Man fertilized my lawn and applied crabgrass treatment. The grass is growing fast and thick. Excellent job!

Description of Work
Lawn Fertilization with Crabgrass Treatment

02/24/2013

Stephen T.

Not really well. See above.

Description of Work
In general there appears to be one man who tries to control everything. Billing questions continually popped up, the wrong weed killer was used on several occasions, and the service men could hardly speak English well enough to tell you that they were applying what their boss told them to apply but could not attest themselves it was the correct treatment. It ended up simply being more trouble than it was worth to deal with Weed Man.

12/13/2011

Anthony P.

Everything started out great. They offered a competitive price for their services and also provided some additional options that I needed for my home. After signing up for the service everything went down hill. Weed Man called me 2 days in advanced to schedule the service. They never showed up to perform the service. I contacted the company and informed them that no one ever came. They looked into the issue and then re-scheduled for a different time. Again they did not come out the second time. I called again and they came out that day to perform the services. I requested that they perform aeration and over seeding of my lawn. Again they called to schedule the appointment and AGAIN they did not show up. I informed them of the issue and canceled my service agreement with them. I submitted billing through my Banks bill pay system for the services they provided. I paid them in advanced of the due date and received a past due letter from them. I called and was told it was just going through their system and it should resolve it self. 3 weeks later I get another notice. At this point I called my bank and got copies of the cashed checks and provided it to them as evidence. The entire process after the initial sales call was a challenge.

Description of Work
Early fall fertilization Second annual weed control

08/04/2011

Mary C.

They come and go; I don't really know when they come. They call and let us know before they come out. They leave a bill each time they come. We've used them for over a year so I guess we are happy with them.

Description of Work
We use Weed Man for yard fertilization.

01/03/2011

Paula J.

They did a fine job. We thought they were a little pricey but we are not sure.

Description of Work
We used Weed Man once because we had some things in our trees.

Category tree service

03/04/2009

Louise S.

He sprayed for weeds, then had to wait for a month in order to seed the grass. This was too late in the year, November, for new grass to grow or germinate because it was so cold. We thought it was too late to seed but Brian said that it was fine and that the grass would grow fine. He used the wrong type of grass in that it did not match the established grass that we already had; the seed was old as evidenced by the date on the bag. Only about 10% of the seed actually grew. In the late Spring, this grass died out as soon as it became hot. He always gave excuses for not keeping appointments or, in the Spring, spraying quickly as the weeds came up - it was always too windy, it was going to rain, he had other appointments. He waited so long that the weeds and Bermuda grass gained a lot of ground and we were left with large patches of ugly brown grass and ground. We couldn't reseed, he said for 2 months, which would then be in July - the worst time of our Summer to seed grass. We had far more weeds in the Spring than we had ever had before and new varieties. We suspected that the grass seed he brought had weed seeds in it. There was a problem over how much he said a treatment would cost and what he actually billed us. We filed a complaint with the BBB (complaint # 8014572) and tried for a resolution with them but Brian Light came up with numerous excuses and statements that weren't true. The case was not resolved. The bottom line is that we spent hundreds of dollars for a nice, weed and Bermuda grass free lawn and all we got was lots of weeds, dead grass, and bare ground. I would never recommend him or the company to anyone. We hired a new lawn maintenance man and now, one year later, have a lovely weed and Bermuda grass free lawn for much less money than the Weed Man charged.

Description of Work
The Weed Man was hired in the Fall of 2007 to rid an otherwise lovely lawn, about half an acre, of large patches of Bermuda Grass-in the front and back of our home. He promised, with a witness to hear this, that in the Spring we would have a wonderful, lush lawn that was free of weeds and bermuda grass. He sprayed the Bermuda grass to kill it, sprayed for other weeds, fertilized, and planted new grass seed. One of his workers sprayed weed killer in an ornimental and cultivated grouping of ivy and killed a large patch in the center which has not grown back yet. He, Brian Light, denied that any of his workers would be that careless but I never believed him since it was right after a spraying.

07/28/2006

MIKE W.

We had a service contract with Weed Man and they did a good job with fertilizing our weed treatments. They provided other services, like when we had them deal with our poison ivy problem. There were additional charges for those extra services though. I would use them again, but only if he gets back out here to handle the poison ivy problem, which we still have. I have been calling him on it and they have yet to take care of it.

Description of Work
They treated one side of our property for poison ivy.

07/28/2006

I have the weed man come out every other month to fertilize and kill weeds in my yard. I love that if I call him at any time with problems in my yard, he will come out immediately.

Description of Work
When he comes out he sprays fertilizer and weed killer for $50 an application.