Roots & Shoots Urban Gardens

Founded 2012 • With Angi since May 2012

4.4

617 Deery St

Knoxville, TN 37917

Division of a local non-profit organization seeking to find meaningful avenues of employment for refugees who are being resettled in Knoxville. Managed by an individual with over 15 years of horticultural experience. Charges determined by the job. Contact for additional information....

07/29/2014

Ann / Andy D.

It was good. I did not pay extra than the deal price. They did whatever i wanted them to do and they moved shrubs and things. I do not feel that the young men that came out were familiar with landscaping because when i asked them to remove plants, i had to go back and redo some of the work because of the way they had been put in the gardens but they were very pleasant, they worked hard. They needed a little more training on landscaping. I would recommend them for basic landscaping, mine was more specialized.

06/30/2014

Linda Ann W.

05/07/2014

Peg B.

Description of Work
Variety of small trimming, moving a pile of rocks, and burying a drainage hose. |After extended delay due to his partner leaving the firm, the work was finally scheduled and then swiftly completed.

04/13/2014

Shanda N.

No one did any work because I could not get anyone to return my phone calls.

Description of Work
He returned my first call but then NEVER got back to me again.

04/05/2014

Carol B.

It didn't.

Description of Work
Was not able to fulfill contract.

03/31/2014

Dolly C.

It didn't. After sending two notes via the website, I finally called them (roots and shoots) and learned that they were in communication with Angie's List to let them know they would be unable to complete the contract. I wish they had let me know when I placed the order rather than a three week delay. Also, I was disappointed that payment was collected PRIOR to the vendor contacting me and confirming or cancelling service. I could have used the money to hire another company. Now I have to wait another two weeks for the refund. A very disappointing experience.

03/19/2014

Dolly C.

Category lawn service

03/14/2014

Sydney D.

A couple of weeks later, I received a call from Lucas Larkin, the new manager of Roots and Shoots and was told that Kyle, the former manager had had some personal issues and had stepped down. Lucas said that he had just taken over the business and was calling all the former clients who had signed for services which had not been completed to apologize for their inconvenience and to see what he could do to make it right. He told me that if I still needed the work to be done that he would honor the original deals and would work doubly hard to make sure that I would be pleased with him and with the results. I agreed and we scheduled a time. He showed up at the exact time with two helpers and did the work I had requested which was to stabilize the roots of a large tree in my front yard by adding some soil and laying down sod. They had time left over so I had them weed and mulch some flower beds in my front yard. When they were finished they completely cleaned up after themselves, including some branches and other yard waste that was there before they started. I was so pleased with Lucas and his crew that I hired him to come back a couple more times at their regular price (which was also very reasonable) to do some other work for me including some more weeding and mulching in my back and side yards and laying some more sod and relocating a rose bush and planting a new decorative weeping cherry tree. Again they left the area spotless. Lucas and his crew were prompt, friendly, knowledgeable and hard workers. I would highly recommend Lucas and Roots and Shoots to anyone.

Description of Work
When I signed up for the Angie's List deal of $109 for four hours of lawn or landscape work, Kyle Arwe, the manager of Roots & Shoots Urban Gardens responded very quickly with an email saying that he would be in touch with me later that same week to schedule a time. Then he never contacted me again. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to reach him I gave up and put a very unfavorable review on Angie's List. However, I would now like to change that review.

07/29/2013

Catherine S.

Kyle and his team are kind, professional, and extremely good at what they do. For all of the work that Kyle has helped us with, the jobs were completed efficiently, with attention to detail, on time, and for a good price. They always leave our entire yard looking better than I could have imagined. While we mow our own lawn, several folks in our neighborhood use Roots & Shoots for mowing services and regular maintenance and I know that they are very happy with the service. Roots & Shoots is impressive in the range of services that they provide as well: from garden design to permaculture , irrigation, and other environmentally-friendly water and planting solutions. The icing on the cake is that Roots & Shoots is a socially-responsible business that trains hires political refugees from Knoxville and pays them a fair wage--I like that I not only get quality yard work, but that I know the people working in my yard are trained and treated well and are getting paid fairly for their work. I look forward to working with Roots & Shoots on many future yard projects!

Description of Work
Over a period of time Roots & Shoots has helped us with reseeding several bare patches of lawn, filling up ruts in our lawn with fill dirt, taking down and removing a rotten tree, cleaning up termite ridden wood and debris in a compost pile, and providing quotes for several other services.

05/02/2012

Leoma G.

I got the estimate on April 4. We agreed on what I wanted them to do. They came on April 12 and worked the whole day, and then finished up on the 13th. Since I was out of town, they even came back and watered my plants until I got back in town to take over. That's service! They took out the existing plants and bulbs. They covered the area with thick plastic stuff to keep down weeds. Then they put in all the plants, reusing what I had and putting the bulbs in so they were grouped well. Then they put in the watering system. Once that was done, they covered the area with mulch and added stepping stones that I already had. They even dug up bulbs from other beds and put them in the back. I didn't have to lift a finger.

Description of Work
I had a steep back bank with dirt, grass, weeds and a few plants that I had put there. Roots and Shoots came in and designed a beautifully landscaped back for me and gave me an estimate. They provided all labor and plants and even put in an automatic watering system. It is wonderful!

Landscape Services By Sean Harris

Small, American owned landscape service company. Providing service in Knoxville, Tennessee and the surrounding counties. Licensed and insured. Down payment of half is due at beginning of any installations. Balance then due upon satisfaction of completion of job. Maintenance and some services are billed at an hourly rate, unless previously agreed upon. Please allow 4-6 weeks for scheduling. Military and Senior discounts upon request.

Marshall Cleaning Service

Marshall Cleaning Service provides excellent service at an affordable price. Marshall proudly serves the Knoxville and surrounding area. Marshall services residential & commercial customers. Marshall is arresting dirt all around the Knoxville area. Marshall proudly takes a bite out of grime.

Offers by Marshall Cleaning Service on Angi
    Dudes Company

We offer quality and affordable pressure washing services.

Landscaping consultation, design, installation, and maintenance. Lawn care/mowing/fertilization, micro/drip irrigation, gutter cleaning, snow removal services, etc. Permaculture consultation and design. Urban sustainable and organic gardening.