Native Design & Hardscape

Founded 2005 • With Angi since October 2009

4.2

1402 Ebenezer Rd

Knoxville, TN 37922

Native Design and Restoration Landscapes provides clients in Knoxville and surrounding areas with landscape design, installation, and maintenance. Native works with residential and commercial properties. ...

04/28/2022

Cathie L.

It went very well. Due to the weather it was delayed some but not horribly so. They were very professional and I must say they completed the work in one afternoon. Everything was cleaned up and disposed of.

Description of Work
Bushes trimmed, weeding done and new mulch.

Category landscaping, mulch

01/08/2021

John L.

They were a little bit pricing but they were good. They were nice, pleasant, and good communicators. I would hire them again.

Description of Work
They did trimming, mulching and weeding.

Category landscaping, lawn service

04/05/2018

Jill S.

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!!! SPENT THE 6 MONTHS OF THE DEAL TRYING TO REACH THE BUSINESS, WITH NO RESPONSE, AND THE LAST ATTEMPT PRIOR TO THE DEAL EXPIRING, A GENTLEMAN ANSWERED, SAID THAT JACOB WAS UNAVAILABLE, AND HE TOOK MY NAME AND NUMBER FOR A CALL BACK........SURPRISE......NO CALL BACK AGAIN!!!!! I CONTACTED ANGIE’S LIST VIA EMAIL (SINCE I DON’T PAY FOR A MEMBERSHIP) AND WAS CONTACTED BY A REP THAT SAID I HAVE TO GET MY MONEY BACK FROM THE NATIVE DESIGN AND HARDSCAPE COMPANY THAT I CAN’T GET A HOLD OF!!!!!!!!

Description of Work

Category decks, fencing, landscaping, lawn service, mulch, pavers, gravel, hardscaping, patios

06/17/2017

Kim H.

Poorly! The job started with an error in setting the elevation for the pool and spa. Although the cost associated with the error was absorbed by Native and Sequoyah, we have to live with the higher elevation. The higher elevation has a visual impact on the exposed wall on the far side of the pool and aggravates a fall hazard in that location. The contract included a fairly detailed scope of work but was inadequate to forewarn us about the nightmare that we were about to experience. 1. Our entire front yard became a staging area for construction equipment and materials. The entire lawn and most of the landscaping was destroyed. The irrigation system was also destroyed. This created substantial additional costs for sodding, irrigation system replacement and new landscaping. No one warned us that this would happen and that there would be substantial additional costs. Our neighbors were inconvenienced due to the number of vehicles that were present every day. There were times that the cul-de-sac was completely blocked and on two occasions mail was not delivered. 2. A couple of very large storms alerted us that the earth work had changed the drainage patterns substantially, creating runoff problems to our neighbor's yard and the golf course behind our house. Both parties rightly complained. Although Native has corrected part of the problem at their expense, we incurred substantial additional costs to correct the golf course problem and to sod the side and rear yard (rather than seed and straw as originally planned). 3. Cable and electrical lines were cut during construction. Later fixed by Native but not until they were discovered by us. Native gets mixed reviews on their concern for quality. There were numerous times that they decided to correct things on their own. The amount of rework was likely very expensive. But there were just as many times that we had to point out problems. Their business would benefit substantially if they developed a set of standards and checklists and a program of daily inspections. Native gets low marks for costs. Although the original contract was fairly negotiated, it felt like they were making up for errors and rework in setting the costs for the additional work that was necessary to properly complete the job (sod and irrigation). Additions and changes added about 30% to the total cost of the project.

Description of Work
Native was the hardscape/landscape partner to Sequoyah pool for construction of a pool and large deck. Sequoyah constructed the basic pool and Native completed the rest of the work. The work was completed under two separate contracts. If I had this to do over, I would have negotiated a single contract to force the two parties to work together more effectively.

Category decks, concrete driveways, landscaping, irrigation systems, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, hardscaping, patios

05/28/2016

JoLee C.

[I've given an average of C because the work was never performed, nor was there a follow-up appt. made for a quote and date.] The meeting with Jeran went well--I was really looking forward to hearing the company's plan for my yard, esp. because I'm planning (well, *was* planning) on having the house ready to go on the market by mid-June. But this has made that pretty much impossible: 4/27 I purchased the Angie's List deal. 5/3 A week later, Jeran e-mailed to set appt. 5/12 Jeran consultation (at home). Was told it would be a week (5/19) before they could get to me. 5/23 Another week and a half later, I e-mailed Jeran to see if they could still do the work. He told me that Jacob (boss?) had not priced it yet. Said he would get me the estimate, etc. the next day (5/24). 5/28 Still nothing, and no communication from either gentleman. It's now been over a month since I started trying to hire a landscaping outfit. I will be requesting a refund for the AL deal I purchased: "$49 for a complete outdoor design package, including computer-generated layout and consultations with sample pictures." Not sure what went wrong--maybe they just overextended themselves this season? (Perhaps shouldn't have offered an AL deal, then.)

Description of Work
Jeran came out one evening to look over the yard and discuss ideas for it. He took notes and made plant suggestions while I requested fencing, a little hardscaping (walkway), front yard overhaul, sod (perhaps, if in budget, for front yard only), and sprucing up the backyard. He was punctual, professional, and knowledgeable, with creative ideas for plantings.

05/16/2016

PAT C.

They trim, they weed, they do all of my lawn maintenance for me. I've been using them since 2007, and they always do great work! They're always good about coming back if I have an issue and I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
They come out and do monthly lawn maintenance for me. They come out twice a month.

Category lawn service

02/15/2016

J Laurens T.

Outstanding multiyear relationship

Description of Work
Full service landscape design, implementation, and year round maintenance

01/07/2016

John L.

Service was performed on time, efficiently, and clean up was excellent. Native design and hardscape did the original design 2 years ago and continues to provide maintenance services twice a year. Employees are friendly quiet and work was professional and effective. The design was responsive to our requests and interests. I feel Jacob Calaway is genuinely interested in us as a customer and interested in keeping our yard looking well attended.

Description of Work
Mulch, weed, trim and prune home landscaping

Category landscaping, mulch, hardscaping

09/30/2015

Sue T.

They never really provided us anything. They weren't very good. They never followed through or did anything they were supposed to do. They were supposed to provide a design and everything else. They just didn't do it. They didn't come out promptly. And when they came out, it was just a quick cursory type of visit and then they said that they were going to provide us with the information and design. It was really all about them upselling. They wanted $400 to $450 to do the design. It was like a bait and switch deal, is what I felt. I think we were right at the edge of their service area and they weren't really interested in coming all the way from Knoxville. That's one of the feelings I got from the salesperson. They could have been prompt. They could have followed through with what they had committed to as far as the service that we paid for. They could have provided us with the design and full quote.

Description of Work
We purchased a big deal from them. It was $89 for complete landscape or hardscape design consultation.

Category hardscaping

07/08/2015

Joseph C.

Price is significantly higher than most in the area. Initial work for sodding design and installation was excellent. Additional services such as leaf blowing and any extras is high. It all started to go down hill after that. There is basically no response to emails or calls unless you want to buy something else and even then it takes a long time to get someone to call you. If you have a problem good luck!. Billing was an issue as after we cancelled service we continued to receove a bill. Overall quality of work is great but service was an F. Really wish that wasnt the case as we really liked the work but just needed someone who was responsive and provided great service and they just dont have that at all.

Description of Work
Initial grass replacement with sod, monthly lawn mowing and fertilization services. Also had occasional leaf blowing and weeding.

Category landscaping

We provided maintenance services to the client for over 2 years before they moved. I am confused as to why we would receive an F in punctuality when we showed up on time as scheduled to mow their yard along with others in the neighborhood. In regards to responsiveness and billing, the client never informed us about cancellation of services due to moving. A written confirmation is required but we never received an email nor a phone call. We continued to provide service for 3 months after the fact until we received an email about billing. Even though there was no written confirmation to cancel, we removed the charges for the services performed. In regards to service and communication they never once mentioned it as an issue to us. Overall I am at a loss as to the grade of this review. I really wish this client and any other client would voice a concern or dissatisfaction with us directly instead of after the fact. Our ultimate goal is to provide a satisfactory and enjoyable experience to all of our clients.

06/27/2015

Linden C.

They read the plans from our landscape architect wrong and made the brick walls about twice as tall as they were supposed to be. This resulted in much more dramatic terracing of the yard and damage to tree roots. All trees in the yard were buried in mulch that extended at least 1 foot up their trunks. We had to dig them all out afterwards. The biggest tree in our yard, and one that the landscaping was designed around, starting dying shortly after we had the work done. We consulted a tree expert who told us is was likely due to the root damage that occurred during the landscaping. So my biggest complaint about this company is that they don't understand how to work around trees without killing them. They also installed a seriously ugly water feature without showing us the plans for it first. The brick paths are nice, so if you just want hardscaping and are not concerned about your existing trees, they should be fine.

Description of Work
Remove grass from yard and replace with brick pathways (550 square feet) and mulch beds. Install low brick walls and terraces.

Category landscaping, masonry, mulch, hardscaping

This review comes as quite a surprise, especially since I spoke with them a few weeks ago at there house and they were complimentary of the work as they were when we completed the work nearly 2.5yrs ago. I hate that they have some trees that became stressed. The question concerning the trees needs to be explained in greater detail. The project was a winding brick pathway around trees throughout the front yard. Grading was done to install a sub base and subsequent pavers and yes, tree roots were hit. It was an inevitability and something their designer hopefully explained to them. As far a mulch and soil around the tree, we did not and do not add anymore then 4in of soil around a tree as it can choke out the tree. When we mulch we install no more then 3" in thickness on a first application. The subsequent mulchings since March of 2013 could have possibly been installed thicker adding more overall thickness around the trees trunks. Again, I do hate that they had some trees that died or are stressed but that is a risk when you do excavation around trees. I would state that we are well versed in 'best practices' in regards to tree care. Regarding the water feature, I too wasn't very happy with it. A solar powered pump was required by the client and they just do not provide enough power to give adequate water flow. The ponds essentially turn into mosquito and algae breeding grounds.

05/04/2015

amy S.

It was great! One of the partners came promptly, discussed our wants and needs, and came back with a beautiful plan with different areas and materials broken down by price. Unfortunately, it was out of our budget (I want my kitchen re-done first) so we aren't going to use them. We definitely will call them when we plan to start working on the area!

Description of Work
Provided us with ideas and a plan for an outdoor space.

03/18/2015

Cherie S.

Slow going, due to rain and. Weather. The way our backyard was laid out and the water drainage problem it took a while to fix. Most of the problems were due to the weather at the time..Once the work was completed our yard was transformed. It is now functual with no standing water and it looks great

Description of Work
Retaining wall and graded the yard and took care of water run off

Category landscaping, masonry, drain pipe, hardscaping

01/19/2015

Penny B.

They came out and drew me up a plan but I decided to sell my house and didn’t want to do more work on the house.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for Outdoor Living Space Evaluation with Layout.

01/13/2015

Dale B.

We felt the price was excellent however, it was not exactly what we were looking for. He was very amiable and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for $89 for complete landscape or hardscape design and consultation.

11/21/2014

Dudley L.

Here's the response I provided back to Native Designs & Hardscapes on the plan they created: Your plan provides a good visualization for the house site. I like the idea of the patio rather than a deck in the front, and the paver inlay provides a simple, clean focus for your design. The shape of the patio and the inlay smooth the angular features of the house very nicely, and of course the landscape helps too!

Description of Work
Developed a landscape design for my new home construction plan.

Category decks, landscaping, hardscaping, patios

11/18/2014

John L.

Not only did they re-landscape, they planned it. Great selection. Sizes were great. Orderly and clean.

Description of Work
Re-landscaped the outside of my house. Put in secure beds.

09/07/2014

Andrew & Melissa F.

We purchased a Big Deal special for an outdoor living space evaluation with layout for $49 on 05/17/2014. The company representative came out that week and reviewed our desired project with my wife. He told my wife he would send a plan to us in 2-3 weeks. On 07/28/2014, I recontacted the company through Angie's List to request an update, as we had not heard from the company. The representative responded he had completed the measurements but had not completed a sketch. He indicated he would contact us as soon as he got that completed. As of today, we still have not heard back from the company. We are requesting a refund of the money we paid to this company as we never received the services we paid for. Andrew Fisher Update: The company provided the sketch on 09/15/2014.

Description of Work
We paid, but no work performed.

Category landscaping

I spoke with [member name removed], at our first meeting regarding the project. It is strictly a landscape project on the slope of the their front yard. Being that they have no irrigation and the all the landscaping is on a sunny slope I told her that this would be most definitely a fall project. She agreed as planting in the summer would be a bad idea. I told her I would have a drawing put together closer to fall. I believe [member name removed] called or emailed and I mentioned I had all the measurements and would be preparing a drawing for the fall. I still hope to provide the client with what they paid for. I will reach out to them to see if they are willing. I believe there was a communication gap or expectation on timing that was not relayed between the party.

08/11/2014

Adam S.

I got a quote from them and I haven’t moved forward with the plans. The landscape designer was nice and showed up on time. The only thing I was a little disappointed in was that I’d hoped he’d spend more time with me at the home. He was only there for 15 minutes. When he did deliver the design, it was good however. Basically, the stairs leading up the driveway had become loose, and I wanted him to look at that and the landscaping around those stairs.

Description of Work
I bought a big deal for $49 Outdoor Living Space Evaluation with Layout.

Category landscaping, lawn service, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

08/05/2014

Neil G.

We started out doing the service and then they did other projects/requests for us. The most important thing that they did was they did was the landscaping. They put in plants that they suggested, knowing our area and climate. That didn’t work out so they replaced some of them, but they were not as good as what they had originally planted. Some things died during the winter and then they replaced those. Technically they did what they said they would do, but as a whole, it doesn’t look very good and the end product was a little disappointing. I also wished they would have followed up more.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal from this company for $100 for Complete Landscape or Hardscape Design and Consultation!

08/04/2014

Barbara F.

The workers dug out our old, long, weedy flower bed and replaced with beautiful flowering plants and evergreens topped with round landscaping rocks for low maintenance. We had the small porch doubled in size and a curvy front walk made of pavers installed, replacing an old straight concrete walk. The designer, Jacob, and workcrew headed by Dan did an outstanding, professional job and we are planning to have them landscape the backyard. We have gotten compliments from just about everybody who comes to the door and we couldn't be more pleased!

Description of Work
Landscaped front of house with new hardscape and plantings

Category decks, landscaping, hardscaping

02/22/2014

Crystal D.

We contacted Jacob last Fall for an estimate to tear down our old deck, redesign our backyard and install a new larger composite deck around our existing pool. I took a long lunch and met him on my lunch break, he took measurements and notes, and was to send us an estimate. We felt good about the meeting, but then we never heard from him. We followed up a couple times checking on the status of our quote, and we could get any response. We even emailed him again recently to see if maybe we just overlooked it, and still nothing. At least tell your customer if you do not have an interest in their project. What a waste of time.

Description of Work
Tear down existing deck, redesign backyard and install new larger composite deck around existing pool.

Category decks, landscaping, hardscaping

01/02/2014

anita B.

Very nice landscape design. I would rate the design aspect of this purchase as more of an 'A' rating. The design came with options for me to choose different plantings which was great. The slightly lower rating reflects the numerous problems with communication between the designer and the installation. The installers worked very hard and did a good job with the instructions they were left with. It would help this company to have someone present during installation who could provide forethought and make adjustments as needed. An example: a tree that needed to be moved (twice) because it's branches were almost touching the house and would not have any room to grow. Another: mulch was laid right over a downspout. I would recommend this company mostly because they have been willing to correct these types of issues. Note: I believe the person who designed my landscaping is no longer with the company.

Description of Work
Completed landscaping work.

10/07/2013

James M.

Did not completely remove the previous lawn and prepare the soil correctly, did not put down weed barrier and brought in mulch that was filled with all kinds of weeds we did have in our yard. We have spent 8 - 16 man hours each week trying to pick the weeds from the mulch this whole growth season. The plan and implementation was to be for minimal maintenance, but it has been anything but that.

Description of Work
Replace walkway from front porch to driveway with crab orchard steps, resurfaced front stairs with stone steps. Then removed old landscaping and put in new plant, 3 trees and mulch. Provided plan for work.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

An important thing to take from this would be to provide our clients with a better understanding of the maintenance required once a landscape is installed. Weeds will always come up in the landscape unless the are continually maintained. We use the same heat treated mulch in all of our clients beds but this and weed mat will not resolve all the weed issues. The project was installed in late November, at that time there would have not been any weeds in the beds as they would not be active at that time of year. Weeds likely came up in the spring as weeds come up in every area where dirt, rock or mulch exists.

09/30/2013

David L.

The designer was very professional and easy to talk with . He obviously knows a lot about the various types of plants that would be appropriate for this climate. His plans were clear and easy to interpret. Should I decide to follow either of the design suggestions I am certain it would enhance the appearance of our lot.

Description of Work
Provided two design options for landscaping a vacant lot

Smoky Mountain Deck Builders LLC

Smoky Mountain Deck Builders specializes in custom Decks, Screen Rooms, Arbors, Docks, Under Deck dry ceilings, and Gazebos. Unlike a majority of companies offering deck services, we focus our business around our outdoor structures only, allowing us to perfect our trade with consistency, speed and efficiency. How can you be the greatest at what you do when you attempt several trades? We build beautiful outdoor structures 50 weeks a year, 5 days a week. Why only 5 days a week? How can you be passionate about your work without a personal life, without time for family? We do not expect you to believe in us, we expect you to believe real people in your community. Check out our reviews! Smoky Mountain Deck Builders

Offers by Smoky Mountain Deck Builders LLC on Angi
    The Plumbing Authority, Inc.

Make Stressful Plumbing Problems Disappear!! Plumbing problems are frustrating and stressful! The Plumbing Authority provides dependable plumbing solutions. We send licensed plumbers to your home so you can relax knowing your problem is solved. At The Plumbing Authority we know that you want to be able to relax and not deal with plumbing problems. Undependable plumbing causes you stress and frustration. You deserve to enjoy your home without worrying about your plumbing. We don’t just care about plumbing. We care about you and your home. We’ve helped thousands of homeowners solve their plumbing problems for over 25 years. Don’t let unexpected plumbing issues ruin your day. Instead find relief when you call or schedule online and let us help you get comfort back in your home

Offers by The Plumbing Authority, Inc. on Angi
    THE MAD HATTER AIR DUCT CLEANING & CHIMNEY SWEEPIN

WE'RE BACK OPEN!! WE WERE CLOSED FOR 2 MONTHS DUE TO COVID-19 BUT WE ARE BACK OPEN AGAIN. SAFETY IS OUR MAIN CONCERN! THE MAD HATTER IS A FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS. WE OFFER OVER THE PHONE ESTIMATES FOR AIR DUCT CLEANING JUST COUNT YOUR SUPPLY VENTS AND RETURN VENTS. The Mad Hatter offers a full line of Chimney Repair Services. GIVE US A CALL 865-947-0755

Offers by THE MAD HATTER AIR DUCT CLEANING & CHIMNEY SWEEPIN on Angi

Landscape restoration, hardscapes, outdoor kitchens, ponds & water features, pavers, irrigation systems, drainage remediation, landscape maintenance, lawn maintenance, commercial landscape maintenance, mulch installation, soil preparation & planting, turf installation, ground covers, & perennials & annual flowers