Chancey & Reynolds Inc

Founded 1978 • With Angi since July 2006

614 Van St

Knoxville, TN 37921

Chancey & Reynolds Inc. provides heating and air conditioning service & installation for Knoxville & the surrounding areas. For over 42 years, we have proudly met the needs of our customers with quality employees and characteristics of honesty and pride. Our service department performs repairs and maintenance on every brand of air conditioners, heat pumps, and furnaces. We are adept at replacing old HVAC systems and ductwork, as well as installations for new homes and businesses. We would love to hear from you. Please contact us today....

12/09/2021

Belinda H.

This company has been absolutely HORRIBLE AND DISHONEST with us. Its one lie after another. No integrity whatsoever. They came out to do a routine check and said our heating unit in the upstairs was fine. THREE HOURS later the unit began putting out alot of heat and it wouldnt turn off! We went to sleep and the next morning the temperature in the upstairs was 118 degrees!!! Alarmed we called Chancey and they told us someone would be out between 12 and 5 and they would call before they came. I took half day off work and waited, NO ONE CAME AND NO ONE CALLED!! The unit almost caught on fire and smelled like it was burning. My dad is 91 years old and was extremely worried and since we got no help from Chancey my dad called our neighbor to come and flip breaker and this still did not turn unit off!?! So my dad called FIRE DEPT TO SEE HOW TO GET UNIT TO TURN OFF and our neigubor and the fire dept worked together on phone to get unit to turn off. Well, the heat finally turned off but the fan continues to run. A couple days later Chancey finally gets out here and says new parts and a relay need to be ordered and, also told us the FIRST TECH THAT CAME OUT TO CHECK IT SHOULD HAVE FOUND PROBLEM. This upstairs unit has been nothing but problems since install. One tech even told us UNIT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN INSTALLED THE WAY IT WAS….WELL, YOU ALL INSTALLED IT!?! The AC freezes in the summer and you cant use it, and now the heat isnt working. My dad called Chancey this morning to see when techs were coming back out to complete the relay repair they started AND CHANCEY TOLD DAD THEY HAD NO RECORD OF WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT!?!? You gotta be kidding me—REALLY??? You have computers!!! Why is your techs work and repair notes and orders not in your computer systems?? THIS IS VERY WORRISOME THAT THEY DONT COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER AND THEY DONT KEEP RECORDS??? I called n spoke with manager Freddie who stated they arent coming back out—that unit is fine??? UNIT IS TURNED COMPLETELY OFF, IT IS NOT FINE, AND WE HAVE NO HEAT—ITS 42 degrees upstairs!!! Techs turned it completely off when here last. And no one will help us or even be honest with us, and we have NO HEAT IN DECEMBER. I see all these positive reviews and I am saddened by the fact that our experience has been so terrible and Chancey could care less and is leaving us sit in the cold. Guess its attorney time

Description of Work
HEATING REPAIR

11/01/2018

David W.

went great, diagnosed the problem quickly. Ordered the part and replaced the next day.

Description of Work
repair motor on HVAC

Thank you!

08/26/2018

Joni C.

Chancey and Reynolds is great. This summer we called one of their competitors (Russell and Abbott) and they diagnosed a problem with our air conditioner (a leaky coil). They charged us $290 and estimated the labor for the repair at $950. When we called Chancey and Reynolds they priced the same repair for $500. While we were waiting on the part, the air went out again (because coolant was low) when it was 92 degrees outside. They came out within two hours of our call and got us running and did not charge for a service call. When the part came in they promptly installed it and did so for the quoted price (which again was half what their competitor quoted). They also charged us about half as much per pound for refrigerant. It is hard to believe that two “reputable” companies are so different. Chancey and Reynolds is an honest company, with excellent service, and the employees seem to genuinely care about their customers. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Air conditioner repair

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We certainly appreciate this nice review. Our employees try very hard to do a good job and our pricing is set to be fair to our customers. Thank you!

07/08/2018

Laurel M.

Be Ware!!! I called Chancy & Reynolds because the condenser/compressor fan was not working on the AC in a vacant apartment. He called and said “the fan motor was shot” the Freon had a leak: that I needed a new unit. I agreed and ordered a new heat pump He said he “d get it running for the few days. The next day when I went over the AC was not working and temp was high. I didn’t think much about it because the new one would be installed shortly. Imagine my surprise when I got a $275 Freon bill a week later. How can Freon work if the AC unit (fan) is broken? I had another company install a new heat pump system, their price was $500 less and they installed the correct size for a small 800 sq. ft. apartment. Chancy & Reynolds wanted their entire $392 bill, so I sent them their money. I doubt they would treat a man like this. Very disappointing and sad, women get taken advantage of everyday especially if your older, if you can get your son a friend or some male to help you with these people.

Description of Work
condenser/compressor fan

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We hate it when any customer is dissatisfied with our company. However, in this case, we did not do anything wrong. The facts presented by this customer are just not true. When we would not be bullied, she became angry. Also, discriminating based on gender is just absurd. We treat all customers with respect, and have been doing so for 40 years. Please see our other reviews on Angie's List!

04/16/2018

Jerry C.

This was the 2nd time I have used Chancey & Reynolds. They do a great job, and they don't try to sell you products you don't need, even when your A/C is outdated.

Description of Work
HVAC repair

03/06/2018

Micah S.

Called Chancey & Reynolds to check our heat pump when it wasn't heating our house properly. They were able to come out the same day I called to service the system. The service tech was able to identify the problem, explain to me in simple terms what it would take to fix it, offered me a few options on how we could fix the issue and executed the repair we decided on. Great experience from beginning to end. I'll be happy to work with them again in the future.

Description of Work
Heat pump service

03/02/2018

Alberto C.

Once Mr. Cantrell check our AC he mention that the heat pump was always on and must be part of the configuration of the thermostat, he check our ecobee thermostat (that I install after we move in) and notice the configuration was wrong so he call directly to ecobee team and working with them reconfigure our thermostat to work properly (Nice Job guys!) Additionally the cooling agent was low he did fill it up and seal a leak that he found. Great service and great responsiveness I will definitively hire them again when my AC needs it.

Description of Work
AC Service maintenance for a recent home purchased

12/13/2017

Jeff C.

I was very impressed by the service tech, Matthew who arrived less than an hour after I had called for service and who called to let me know that he was on his way. He was knowledgeable, professional, friendly and very prompt. In less than 20 minutes he had my unit working again and informed me if I had any additional problems in the next couple of weeks, they would come back without additional charge. This is how service calls are supposed to go, but rarely do. If I could give him higher than an "A" I would.

Description of Work
My downstairs heating unit stopped working so I searched online through several sites including this one and at random selected Chancey & Reynolds because of their mostly good reviews.

12/05/2017

VICTORIA T.

Associate show on time, walked through attic where unit is, asked how old unit was, stated all looked fine. Went outside, hooked a hose to check a/c unit to check freon level. This day is was in upper 40’s but he still was able to tell us the reading on the freon was bad and he would get us prices to replace both units. We’ve had no problems with our heat or air, just wanted a tuneup so this was a total shock. We asked for the bill for this service and said we’d get a second opinion... he said he he would send a bill along with an estimate for the new units and he was gone. We have never heard from him or the company and it’s been over 5 weeks. While we were getting the 2nd opinion (nothing wrong with either unit) that a good reading on freon is very difficult when the outdoor temperature is under 70 degrees. We did very that information with several heat and air service technicians.

Description of Work
HVAC tune up

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

I have reviewed the information available concerning this call. Sadly, I do not have an acceptable excuse for our technician not completing his work nor not providing a quotation for replacing the existing units. However, we had a serious discussion with the technician that went on the call. Normally he is very reliable and competent, and he was embarrassed about this review. He understands now that he can not leave someone "hanging" like this situation. We apologize to Ms [Member Name Removed] and we will do better in the future.

11/24/2017

Stephanie P.

We called Chancey Reynolds on Friday morning and they were at our house within a couple of hours. He finished our job quickly and we were back in business within about 30 minutes. Excellent response time and wonderful service.

Description of Work
Our HVAC unit stopped working on Thanksgiving Day.

09/21/2017

Carol A.

They were very careful to cover the floor and very careful when removing the old unit and installing the new unit. Steve Chancey was very responsive to any questions that we had.

Description of Work
Needed new heat/air unit.

09/05/2017

Tiffany S.

How I ended up finding the HVAC contractor, it was actually a friend of a friend. It was a friend that was an engineer for Trane units and he actually told me about Chancey & Reynolds because he actually trained the engineer for Chancey & Reynolds. So he would actually do what's right, make sure that we were getting a good bid. After we got the bid back, he said honestly I can't beat it and what you're gonna get, you're gonna be happier with, so you need to stay with them. Chancey & Reynolds, they're one of the bigger known companies here in Knoxville. When they came out and did their work, everything was exactly as they described it and they did a fantastic job. I was very, very happy with the work they did. It was a large job. We purchased a HUD foreclosure. It was a two-story house and there was no central heat and air for the basement, so we ended up having to add a second unit for the basement, and it was a tear-out and a whole new unit for the upstairs. The original contractors kinda just did not do what they were supposed to, and they did not get paid. That's when I called Chancey, after having a really bad experience. They came in and then I found out that the upstairs unit was sized incorrectly, so they ended up having to get a new unit, re-do pretty much all of the duct work. They actually had to just basically make right the work that was done for the basement. There was a lot of work that they actually did. It was actually two units with all duct work and also for upstairs. Just because of the square footage, it was a three split system where it was all computer board controlled with the valves, basically it will adjust the air flow to certain quarters of the house to make sure that everything is leveled out. By the way, on the split systems, I am very happy with those because it works on a computer board and you actually have a separate thermostat for those quarters, wherever it may be. It actually regulates the temperature for all of those different areas to make sure that if you have it set at 70° when you go from one room to the other, it’s 70° across the board. The split system is definitely a lifesaver or you can get the individual units that are for the rooms, but you would have to start out with all new hardware because basically there’s no ductwork. Sometimes that may be a little bit cheaper on your pricing. Chancey & Reynolds was excellent. They were an A all the way across. They were always excellent.

Description of Work
This was for HVAC installation.

09/05/2017

valerie C.

They were great. My air conditioner wasn't working and they came out and found out what the issue was. I think it was a like a fan belt or something like that. They fixed it. They did it pretty quick. I think they did pretty good for their price. If I have any more issues I'm going to call them. The can really solve your problem pretty quick and determine what it is. That guy just knew right off the bat what was, it didn't take him but a few minutes. He immediately fixed it. He told me what he was doing and what was going on so I like to know that too. They communicated.

Description of Work
They repaired the air conditioner.

08/21/2017

James C.

We were extremely satisfied and will not hesitate to use this company, again.

Description of Work
Our air conditioner froze up on a Sunday. After an unsuccessful encounter that day with a different company, we tried this company. The technician was extremely professional and systematic and eventually determined that we had a collapsed duct in our crawl space. He temporarily repaired it and returned a few days later with a permanent fix.

08/09/2017

Shannon B.

GREAT! Prompt service; very helpful workmen.

Description of Work
New HVAC system

07/26/2017

Timothy W.

Very prompt and efficient, fair price on the freon. I don't really know if I need the $5 each valve cores or $15 coil cleaning or not. The labor was $60/hr and they were there !.5 hrs including a new indoor digital thermostat for $70. Overall I was very pleased

Description of Work
Needed freon added

07/05/2017

David D.

Technician came out for determination of cause of AC failure. Upon troubleshooting the compressor was determined to be the problem. The outdoor unit was nearing 15 years old and the indoor unit was 20 years old. So replacement was the only answer. No charge for the service call. The technician worked with the owner and they ordered replacements. They rearranged their work schedules to get my new units installed 2 days later. The installation crew were on time, professional and efficient. They completed the work before end of that day, and left the area neater than they found it.

Description of Work
Replace HVAC indoor and outdoor units.

06/23/2017

Nancy L.

Both were very professional, and Chancey did the work. We were okay with the price.

Description of Work
They replaced 3 heating air conditioning systems.

06/12/2017

David D.

Quick response, on time and performed work quickly and efficiently.

Description of Work
Performed semiannual maintenance on HVAC and installed hard start.

06/05/2017

Elizabeth J.

I've used them for years and years and years. They're fine. I used to be in construction and they did all my heat and air stuff, so I know the people. I'd give them A's all the way.

Description of Work
They were over here in the Fall to check my heat and change out the filters.

06/05/2017

kenneth G.

It went very well. After first service call when old air conditioner was not working well at all in cooling the down stairs of the house the service personell showed me the problem whereby the system was totally frozen up from the bad condenser. Since the unit was almost 25 years old, rusted out etc. the service rep told me the approximate repair cost and personally recommended against repair but for replacement to which I agreed after getting a ball park replacement cost. A time was set for the replacement. The two repair people were right on time, went to work removing the old unit and replacing with the new unit which so far has worked great. Chancey and Reynolds also worked with me on a same as cash financing plan.

Description of Work
replacement of 24 year old air conditioner.

06/04/2017

Jannene R.

One of the most professional companies we have dealt with ever. We definitely recommend them for honest and professional work at a fair price.

Description of Work
Replace upstairs heat pump

06/03/2017

Mark G.

Technician was very knowledge, curtious and professonel,

Description of Work
technician did a very good job, very professional

05/03/2017

Dan A.

Unit was fixed but overly expensive.

Description of Work
HVAC repair

04/13/2017

James H.

Service was good and system works well

Description of Work
Install new heat and air system