Don Sharp Home Improvements

Founded 1984 • With Angi since March 2013

4.4

We've been serving the home improvement needs of the Bartlett & Memphis areas since 1984. We're locally owned & operated, and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. We’re fully insured & bonded. We are a Tennessee licensed home improvement contract and we have plenty of satisfied customers. Our company offers 8 main installation services roofing, vinyl siding, painting, gutters, windows, rotten wood replacement, patio covers & enclosures, and concrete. We are dedicated to providing our customers with the best service possible. We are going to honest, dependable and thorough on all our jobs. We know our customers deserve the best.. and we will make every effort to provide it to them. That’s our promise to you. Call us, or schedule a free estimate on our website! We will set up an appointment to hear your ideas, assess your needs, and offer suggestions that may save you time & money, while improving the value of your home. Visit donsharphomeimprovements.com to find out more about our business as well as see pictures and videos of our work and satisfied customers....

CAE Home Improvement, LLC

Family owned and operated company that specializes in interior and exterior painting. We offer other home improvement services such as; carpentry, framing, decks and porches, and drywall. Our company treats your home as if it was ours and would love to speak with you about your next project. Give us a call today!

Offers by CAE Home Improvement, LLC on Angi
Eagle 3 Painting

Riggins Painting

Here at Riggins Painting we would like to offer you timely service and outstanding quality of workmanship on your next painting project. We specialize in Interior & Exterior residential and commercial repainting. Riggins Painting is more than just an average painting company. We strive to provide an exceptional experience from start to finish. We understand that it is important to deliver a high quality finished product and that it is equally important to achieve this in a timely manner. Communication is imperative to insure that your painting project is completed to your full satisfaction.

03/09/2021

Casey D.

About a year ago we called Don to get a quote on a gutter replacement. We were given the wrong quote—I called and was told “I will fix this”. I never heard from him again. A year later we tried to give them another shot because of all of the great reviews. The window guy was a hard person to get a hold of and the employees for both the estimate and installation were late. Sadly, we won’t be using this company again.

Description of Work
Window installation

Category replacement windows

[Member Name Removed]... we are so sorry that you weren't pleased with our overall service to you. We completely understand your frustrations with our communication not being as on time as it should have been throughout the process of getting your project completed. We hope you enjoy the new windows. We wish you the best! Don Sharp (owner of the company) called the customer and spoke with her upon reading the review. He asked her if there was anything he could do to make up for the dissatisfaction. The customer said “no”. We at Don Sharp Home Improvements don’t like it when projects don’t go as smooth as we’d like for them to. Unfortunately, in this line of work... mistakes are made and we all fall short at times. Most of the time our jobs go over well in every aspect of them. It was unfortunate that we had a couple of mishaps with this customer. We do strive to do a good job in every aspect of the job. And, if something doesn’t go as planned, Don Sharp will reach out to the customer to see if there is anything he can do to make up for it.

01/19/2020

Clifton O.

Don Sharp Home Improvements business homepage website reads “We are a licensed home improvement and roofing contractor serving Memphis, Bartlett, Cordova, Germantown, Arlington, and Collierville.” Continuing “You can safely put your trust in the hands of our expert craftsmen, guaranteeing fully licensed and insured work for your home improvement projects.” It is a dishonest claim. Based his website and a recommendation by a local roofing company, I contracted with Don Sharp Home Improvements for installation of vinyl siding, ViWinTech windows, and seamless gutters. According to the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance (the regulator agency charged with licensing businesses), Don Sharp Home Improvements IS NOT licensed in Tennessee. Likewise, according to the Shelby County Clerk’s office the business is not licensed to conduct home improvements in Shelby County. The subcontractor doing all the work, Humphreys Exteriors, also was not licensed in Tennessee or Shelby County while executing the work. Mr. Sharp emailed “There was a mix up with our bookkeeper, but we've applied to renew it (it expired July 2019). As soon as the renewed license comes in we'll get it to you.” Six months later TN Dept of Commerce and Insurance still show there is no business license. One gutter was not sloped to ensure drainage. Another gutter had a bracket not properly fastened. Mr. Sharp was able to send someone out to complete that corrective action which I accepted. The windows were another story. Each of the nine windows was improperly installed. Shims were not used. There were gaps up to ½” between the top and sides of the window frames against the rough out opening. No insulation nor seal tape used. Excessive tension created by over-tightening mounting screws during installation caused eight of the nine new windows frames to bow outward, causing the stile to not seat in the side jam. The caulking used to seal windows after installation was not suitable for exterior use, resulting in cracks and gaps wide enough to see through within a few weeks. This, along with the substandard installation, permitted air to pass through with every breeze outside. The window manufacturer stipulates their warranty was void if their windows were not installed properly. Photos and descriptions of substandard work were sent directly to Don Sharp, as his salesman neglected to return my calls. Mr. Sharp scheduled a meeting we agreed upon so he could see and evaluate the job for himself at the house. Mr. Sharp called the morning of that first scheduled meeting and cancelled, saying one of his invited parties could not attend. By now I had hired a licensed window installer who evaluated the windows to tell me what needed to be done to make repairs and regain the manufacturer’s warranty. I was provided a quote. I agreed to a second proposed meeting at the house by Mr. Sharp. He was told of the inspection by another contractor. I said I would need to see a current valid contractor license for Don Sharp Home Improvements at this meeting before he commenced any work. Unable to provide a valid current license, he stated he would pay for the necessary repairs to be completed by another contractor. I gave him the quoted amount and said if the fee was acceptable to him to feel free to cancel the second meeting, but he and anyone else were still invited to come out and look at the windows prior to the second contractor initiating repairs. Mr. Sharp cancelled this second proposed meeting one day prior to its scheduled time. No one from Don Sharp Home Improvements ever came out to see for themselves the shoddy work and substandard materials used. I did receive a check for the quoted amount to pay a licensed, insured, and honest craftsman to come out and do his best to repair the work performed by Don Sharp Home Improvements. Don’t you think a businessman who boasts of his integrity ought to be concerned enough to at least take a first-hand look when told of his company’s sloppy workmanship? Remember what his home webpage read: “You can safely put your trust in the hands of our expert craftsmen, guaranteeing fully licensed and insured work for your home improvement projects.” “Expert craftsman?” Dishonest. “Fully licensed?” Outright lie. “Insured work?” You better have your homeowners insurance policy checked before hiring.

Description of Work
Window replacement, gutter replacement, vinyl siding installed

Category gutter repair,siding,replacement windows

We either corrected the issues this customer addresses in his review or paid to have the issues corrected by someone else. We expressed our desire to ensure his satisfaction of all work performed before we closed his job. We went back out to address the 1 gutter clip that was accidentally left unsecured. We also reimbursed the customer in full for the amount he had to pay to have another contractor correct the air draft issues he had with the window install which was for a total somewhere between $800-$900. We made this customer's home look brand new. The vinyl siding looks great (no complaints there). The gutters look great as well. We corrected the 1 bracket that was left unsecured. Even the windows look great. No damage occurred to the home due to our work performed. The issue was very little air entering around the windows because proper steps were not taken to seal them up to block all air drafts coming in around the window. However, we paid the customer what it cost him to have this problem solved by another contractor of his choice. We aren't perfect by any means. Overall we do a great job. Our reputation speaks for itself. However, what we can guarantee all of our customers is that we will do everything within reason to correct or compensate for any problems we cause on a job we did. Yes. Unfortunately there was a mix up between us and our bookkeeper on the Home Improvement License renewal which resulted in it lapsing. We have been working on getting it renewed and this process it almost complete.

08/08/2018

Frank C.

We recently replaced our very old roof (three layers torn off). Don Sharp Home Improvements did the work and we are very pleased with our new roof. Our decision to use Don Sharp was based upon the work they did on our neighbor's new roof, and reading through countless reviews on Angie’s List and the Better Business Bureau. Don Sharp was very timely in getting us an estimate and very thorough in explaining the items and related cost in the contract. We are very pleased with how quickly they got to us, the work that was done, and the cleanup afterward. We went with the Owens-Corning Oakridge Series in Driftwood. Dustin’s estimate was right on target. We were concerned there would be a lot of rotten wood, etc., but only a couple of areas needed repair. We are extremely pleased with our new roof and the work done by Don Sharp Home Improvements.

Description of Work
Tear off three roofs and replace with new roof

We appreciate your business and look forward to working with you again in the future! Thank you for the great review, we appreciate it! Have a great day [Member Name Removed]!

10/16/2017

Erich B.

It didn’t never heard back so moved on especially after i called and was asked if my number tgat was as correct came across his caller ID

Description of Work
Called don sharp in September bout work needed done granted it was a small job but one I’m not qualified to do. He told me was a small job said would have someone get back to me never heard d anything back

Category interior painters

Hi [Member Name Removed], This is Don with Don Sharp Home Improvements. I personally wanted to apologize to you concerning the no response. Sometimes in this business and not sure how it happens... somethings fall through the cracks. If there is anything I can do for you to make this right, please call. Once again I do apologize. Sincerely, Don Sharp

03/27/2017

margaret G.

Workers arrived on time, they were efficient and professional, and the work they performed was excellent.

Description of Work
Replacement of numerous sections of old vinyl siding, painting of exterior pipes.

Category roofing,siding,house painters

03/25/2017

Eugene C.

Tried to hire on 2 different occasions. Not professional in returning phone calls, have to track down for estimates. Had given others his name and number to try and get work completed while we were trying to work with him and he didn't follow thru with them either. He lost a $16,000 opportunity to replace a roof paid for by insurance, we also paid for gutters, facia and paint work at the same time. The second chance we gave him because he said it was someone that worked for him that let the last time down. We were redoing the Master bathroom and kitchen. Lost another $15,000 - $20,000 opportunity along with several friends. Maybe he doesn't have anyone to do good tile work and inside painting. Just not professional at all. Don't waste your time.

Description of Work
1) new roof, fascia, painting and gutters 2) redo Master bathroom shower, tile, floor, etc 3) add tile to kitchen 4) a large inside painting job

Category ceramic tile,roofing,woodworking,home remodeling,house painters

Mr. [Member Name Removed], the only thing we regret is not telling you that we didn't want to partner with you concerning your projects sooner that what we did. For that, we apologize. However, we learned early on to turn down work based off of 6 things. One of the 6 is if you don't have a good feeling about the potential customer after discussing their work with them. We had this feeling with you. We believe we made a wise decision in turning down your work. The proof of this is found in the negative review you gave us. Even though we were delayed in informing you that we didn't have a good feeling about working for you and would be passing on the job(s), this earns us a "F" review with poor remarks about our company. We can only imagine the extent you would go to with us or anyone else who actually did work for you and even the slightest of issue(s) occurred. Who knows what you might do if something like that were to happen knowing that you ran our name through the mud for not responding as promptly as we should have about not wanting to do your work. I'd advise other people or businesses to be cautious of working for you because of how easily it seems to dissatisfy you. To everyone who reads this, please consider the MANY positive things people have said about us. We are honest and our work is of good quality. Give us a chance and we will prove that to you.

03/24/2017

Helen B.

Don Sharp Home Improvement completely tore off our old roof and installed new Owens Corning Shingles. The crew was extremely quick and hard working. This was done in January, even when it was cold. During the re-roof, we asked them to take out all of the skylights and repair the inside drywall as well. He also installed some closet shelving and baseboards for us. Don Sharp Home Improvement contracted out the replacement of the tops of our rusted gutters and installed ez gutter guards. Even though the installation of the gutter guards was not done correctly, Don contacted the company who did the installation and they remedied the issue. Don is easy to work with and will be completely honest with you.

Category gutter repair,roofing,woodworking

01/30/2017

Arnold W.

Great!! They were professional and the work was perfect.

Description of Work
Repaired siding

Category siding,house painters

07/12/2016

Deborah G.

This company was so easy to work with! They responded quickly to my call and sent someone (Nathan) to look at my patio and make an estimate. The estimate was emailed to me within 2 days. It was 1 of 2 estimates I got (and 1 of 3 that I requested - one company that came out to look at my patio never contacted me with an estimate). The price was competitive, and Nathan was easy to talk to and answered all of my questions. Meanwhile, the main office contacted me frequently with updates. There was a delay due to supplier issues, but I was informed ASAP, and we were able to reschedule. The company kept in contact with me via phone and email, and I always knew what to expect - which I really appreciate. When the crew came out to do the work, they were on time (actually, a few minutes early). They were hard-working, efficient, professional, and courteous. Nathan continued to answer many questions I had as the work was completed. I don't know much about construction, but he never acted like I was asking too many questions or asking dumb questions. I feel like we discussed things so thoroughly both before and during the job that I got exactly what I wanted. The completed patio cover is beautiful - much better than what I had before. It's been up for several weeks now, and gone through a few storms. It's solid and sturdy, and beautiful to look at. I will definitely use Don Sharp again if I have more construction needs.

Description of Work
Patio cover installed over existing concrete patio to replace cover that was blown off in a windstorm. Description of Work: Aluminum 16x14 Patio Cover with posts set in ground. 1. Install (3) 3x3 aluminum posts in ground. 2. Install (1) 3" insulated, 16x14 aluminum insulated cover with beam & downspouts. 3. Furnish labor, material, & equipment. 4. Clean up and haul off debris. 5. A 3% Service Charge will be added to all credit card transactions. 6. Price is good for 30 days. Customer can cancel Service Bid Agreement within 3 days of signed date. TOTAL COST: $3,390.00 (1/2 of balance due before work commences; remaining balance due in full immediately upon completion of job)

09/25/2015

Toscha B.

Prompt, courteous, professional service. I felt like fair price for the windows and the work was done in one day. Cleared all debris and had a very nice crew. I have no complaints at all and would definitely call them back for more home improvements.

Description of Work
installed replacement windows

Category replacement windows

Don Sharp Home Improvements

Founded 1984 • With Angi since March 2013

4.4

3875 Thistle Knoll Cv

Bartlett, TN 38135

Roofing, gutter, interior and exterior painting, rotten wood replacement, vinyl siding, energy efficient windows, patio covers & enclosures, and concrete.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Financing Available