A Helping Handyman

Founded 2011 • With Angi since September 2014

PO Box 781

Little River, SC 29566

Super Service Award winner 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 I'm the owner, worker and bill collector. I operate my business a little differently than most handymen. I discuss with the customer what type of job or jobs they have. I have the customer start with a list from highest priority to least.

07/12/2020

Linda & Tom S.

Darryl did outstanding work. He was prompt, punctual, and attentive to detail. He worked efficiently, making sure he understood what our needs were and making sure that he had addressed all our concerns when he had finished. His pricing was fair and reasonable.

Description of Work
Install ceiling fan; fix electrical outlets and sockets

Category contractors, electrician, ceiling fans

08/24/2019

Madeleine L.

Great work done professionally. Attention to detail

Description of Work
Wall hanging

07/30/2019

PHILLIP P.

Response to my inquiry on Angie's List was super fast. Darryl came out the next afternoon, to repair/replace the disposal. He was able to get the old one working, so I can return the new one. Great experience working with Darryl.

Description of Work
Kitchen disposal was not working in our vacation condo.

Category handyman service, plumbing

06/19/2019

randy S.

I called Darryl, he responded quickly at a reasonable price. The job looked great.

Description of Work
Replace broken sliding door handle

04/03/2019

Christopher W.

Project was not that big (chandelier install) but due to the height of the room I decided to have someone else do it. Darryl was responsive to my initial inquiry and upfront with pricing, timing etc. It seems like every small job ends up having it's own unique issues and this was no different. When I would have spent an hour cursing and reassessing my plan Darryl had everything resolved and fixture installed. He also spent extra time to make sure my wife (and I) we happy with the install height and all other aspects of the job. I have already scheduled him for another job.

Description of Work
chandelier installation

Thank You very much. Darryl Akroyd

09/27/2018

Melanie P.

Darryl was extremely prompt in returning my call, very polite in explaining his service fee and a true pleasure to deal with!!! He kept me informed on the time and date he would be in my home to complete the work, was punctual and professional throughout the job. I would HIGHLY recommend his services to anyone needing a helping hand around the house - and will certainly call him again whenever a need arises!

Description of Work
We needed the shower head replaced with a hand held model

05/19/2018

Fonda W.

Darryl proved to be the local handyman I needed to find since I relocated from out of state to Little River. He was friendly, professional, and did an excellent job on the project for which I hired him, and completed the project in the time frame and for the price he quoted. There are no surprises with Darryl. I will use him again and highly recommend him to anyone in the local area.

Description of Work
install a new toilet

11/01/2017

Shane R.

Job was done as requested and then tested to assure all was operational and correctly installed. He explained the process as he pulled out the old parts and replaced.

Description of Work
replace toilet valves, etc.

10/25/2017

John A.

Everything went very smoothly from the time that I first contacted Daryll until he left after completing the job. Daryll was very prompt and true to his word. There were parts missing or additional parts needed for the items I bought and Daryll went straight to work to locate them and complete the job. He is a hard worker and very fair . I would highly recommend his work! What a pleasure to deal with !

Description of Work
I had two toilets installed as well as two ceiling fans

Category handyman service, plumbing, ceiling fans

10/03/2017

Mike D.

He was quick, clean, friendly, on time and priced fairly. What more could you ask for. He was also creative and was very concerned about how good his work looked. I will absolutely use him again. I would recommend him for any job around the house.

Description of Work
Darryl, added an outlet, and did some other minor jobs.

Category contractors, electrician, handyman service

09/13/2017

Brian M.

Awesome. Great, young guy who works "old school". Professional work done right, the first time. He fastidious, clean and fun to talk with too. I would hire him again in a minute and recommend him to all. Just Awesome.

Description of Work
Darryl replaced 2 faucets and swapped an old light switch for a new "dimmer" in 2 hours.

Category handyman service, plumbing

07/10/2017

Dee K.

Fantastic, smooth no worries. Very informative, polite and very professional.

Description of Work
Hanging metal racks in garage. Also installing closure on dresser doors

07/05/2017

Charles B.

Excellent job. Left the floor clean you would have never guessed any worked had been completed in the area. Darryl arrived on time. It was a rainy day and he was very careful not to leave any tracks entering and after returning to his trucks it get needed tools. Worked was completed in a reasonable time and the cost was very very reasonable. I will certainly hire him again should I need work done.

Description of Work
Rehanging a shelf in the master bedroom closet

Thank You very much [Member Name Removed] Darryl

06/02/2017

Bill R.

Excellent. Darryl came out to view the work to be done and gave me a free estimate of the time and cost to do the work. He explained what needed to be done and gave me the option of providing the material for him to install. Darryl arrived on time and I was impressed how organized he was. He replaced the rotted frame and lattice with materials I provided. He kept the worksite clean and organized throughout the job. I would recommend Darryl without hesitation.

Description of Work
Replace patio deck lattice and frame.

05/24/2017

joanne B.

Excellent , Darryl is a true professional and a really nice genuine guy. I am so glad I found him and I will be using his services again in the future. Darryl takes great care in getting things 100%

Description of Work
electrical plumbing and handyman services, I am so glad I found Darryl, he is so professional with his work which he takes great care in doing things perfectly. Darryl also gave me great advice in which products to buy for my home for example the 10 year battery life smoke detectors etc making my life easier in the future

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing, ceiling fans

03/07/2017

Renee P.

First, Daryl called the night before the scheduled appointment to confirm time and project that was scheduled. Most importantly he showed up on tine!!! Daryl went above and beyond securing the cabinets to the wall. The weight of the fabric that I plan to store in the cabinets can be substantial. There is no way those cabinets are coming down! He was very professional, made sure I was in agreement with what he was going to do and left the work area clean, working off of contractors blankets. Very reasonable pricing and great work. I have already asked him to come back for 2 more projects. So yes, I highly recommend A Helping Hand for your projects.

Description of Work
Cabinets hung in a bonus room that I use as my sewing room.

02/24/2017

Maryann S.

Darryl was well organized. He brought all the tools needed for the installs. He even brought drop cloths and a vacuum. He did very neat installs and cleaned up after himself!! He set a time and was punctual. If he was going to be late, he called. He did a super job putting our renovated condo in beautiful shape!!!!

Description of Work
2 TVs mounted on the wall 28 knobs installed on kitchen cabinets 15 pictures hung on walls 2 pull out trash cans installed in cabinets 2 light fixtures replaced in 2 bathrooms 2 towel bars installed in bathrooms Installed wire racks in closet

Category closet systems, electrician

02/22/2017

Dorothy S.

He did such a fantastic job. The blinds were a bit of a complicated project and he handled it beautifully. He's the kind of person if you ask him to do something he does it quickly and quietly. He really is quite fantastic. I would recommend him to anyone. Everything was done to perfection!

Description of Work
He put up blinds, and did some electrical repair. He also did a bit of carpentry work.

Category electrician, handyman service

02/18/2017

Linda W.

Outstanding, excellent....no complaints! Will be coming back to further assist us with our condo remodeling. Takes pride in his work which we so appreciate

Description of Work
Disconnection and connection of plumbing bathrooms and kitchen Installed faucets and kitchen sink Repaired toilet

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing

02/17/2017

Robert H.

Everything went well. Darryl is always prepared with the right tools and materials for the job. He is very pleasant to deal with. He charges $40/hr and is very attentive to his work.

Description of Work
We had a number of projects completed: 1. Flood light installed over outdoor grill. 2. Drains for our 2 HVAC overflow pans installed. 3. 7 smoke detectors replaced.

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing

02/16/2017

Jacqueline M.

Darryl Akroyd was excellent. His attention to details is wonderful. He really cares about the quality of the work he is doing and has wonderful follow-up skills to make sure you are happy at the end of the job. I recommend him highly, and we are planning on having him back to do some additional work for us yet this month.

Description of Work
New lights installed in both of our bathrooms (we still have to put the mirror back on), light-kit for a fan installed on our deck. Replacement of our can lights to LED

Category electrician, handyman service, ceiling fans

02/09/2017

Linda C.

Great - on time, friendly and very efficient

Description of Work
few odd jobs - light in kitchen, new door knob on outside storage, new toilet paper holder

12/29/2016

Larry D.

I purchased a replacement toilet at Home Depot and A Helping Handyman was one of the three contractors offered through their Pro Referral system. Darryl called very quickly (I was still in line purchasing the toilet), and was adaptable to the fact that I needed it done within 3 days. He moved another appointment (getting agreement first) to swap in mine the next morning. He said he would arrive at 9:30am, and he was exactly on time. He was courteous in laying drop cloths at my doorway and in the work area. Darryl also got to work promptly, and was very thorough in the removal of my current toilet, scraping away old caulking, and cleaning the area. He also upgraded some of the materials, including the shutoff, supply line, and ring, with his own personal inventory. He also took time to answer some questions I had while the job progressed. While installing the new toilet, he noticed a large chip and quickly packaged up the unit, and called Home Depot to get a swap lined up. He then finished up the job, and did not charge me for the time spent traveling to get the replacement. A pleasant experience overall, and I will definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Toilet replacement

10/24/2016

Richard H.

Was very pleased with his work.Was on time did a bang up job,and fixed a bad GFI while he was here. Would highly recommend him to anyone needing home repairs.

Description of Work
My toilet was leaking,and I needed a new GFI installed.

Category electrician, plumbing

08/01/2016

Morgan S.

We were only in town for the weekend so he agreed to arrive on a Sunday morning at 8am to complete the work. In a world of disappointments, he was a very pleasant surprise. Clean, professional, resourceful. He appears to have a wide variety of skills so we are already planning on bringing him back for some other items on our list. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Darryl was referred to us when we needed to replace all of the wired smoke detectors in our beach house.

Category electrician, handyman service

Carolina HydraWash, LLC

We can Remove Dirt, Grease, Oil, Mold, Mildew, Algae, Rust, Graffiti, Gum, & Other Stains. Carolina HydraWash uses the Latest in Pressure Washing and Soft Washing Equipment to Clean all of your Exterior needs on all Surfaces. We also offer Paver Sealant. Our goal is to provide the most effective and efficient service to our clients to build a trust worthy, strong relationship together. With over 10 years experience in pressure washing and cleaning exterior surfaces we guarantee a happy customer.

2022 Super Service Award

Billy's Plumbing Company

2022 Super Service Award

The Gutter Gorilla

The Gutter Gorilla, strives to give top end customer service at a middle end price, treating each of our customers kindly, professionally, and with the best materials and products available from the first phone call to the final walk through when the work is completed. Ask us why, why we install what we do, why we install the way we do! Call today! The Gutter Gorilla offers seamless gutters, leaf guards, Impact and non-impact Replacement Windows to Charleston tri-county and along the coast extending to our location in Myrtle/North Myrtle Beach. We are the Coastal South Carolina gutter company.

Offers Coupon

Handyman. Minor electrical. Plumbing. Carpentry. Fence repair. Mailbox installation & repair. Curtain & blind hanging. Shelving & furniture assembly. Gutter & downspout cleaning, installation & repair. Irrigation system repair. Seasonal decorations.

Painting. Floor coverings. Vinyl siding. Concrete work