Herdt Home Inspections

Founded 1987 • With Angi since July 2011

3.4

1314 Brookwood Dr

Florence, SC 29501

Herdt Home Inspections provides the most thorough and usable home inspection report in the Pee Dee area of SC. We have been in business since 1987 and have performed over 10,000 home inspections. All inspections provide a narrative report with photographs included of deficiencies. Roger Herdt performs all inspections and is Certified by the American Society of Home Inspectors and has achieved Master Inspector status with the SC Association of Home Inspectors. Roger is a SC licensed Home Inspector (License #6) and Residential Builder (License #10019) although he no longer actively builds homes....

03/31/2019

Scott H.

He (Mr. Herdt) was clearly looking for every little detail that could complicate a sale during his inspection. A home inspector should be looking for safety issues. Particularly those that are serious. He said there should be two ways in and out of a crawl space and there is only one. There is no violation here just him being biased to try to get the buyer (who's paying him) the best deal. Not realizing he is putting a seller out of more money. There are about a dozen other unnecessary findings that have no implication on safety or are violations of any sort. The most egregious of them all was his opinion that the roof is too old and needs to be replaced. He 1) didn't even go on the roof and 2) didn't even see the certificate that the roof has a 25 yr warranty and was put on 27 yrs ago. Two other appraisers came out after him and said the roof is completely fine. However because the buyer used this Herdt and trusted his incompetence he has demanded the roof be replaced. This is put the owner/seller out thousands of unnecessary dollars. Clearly Herdt has taken advantage of the seller and this is the reputation that precedes the business. It is a shame the seller is out so much money because of this unjustified assessment. Would never recommend the services to anyone.

Description of Work
Buyer used for inspection of our home

Category home inspection

This is false review...I was out of town on the "work completed date" and did not perform any inspections on that date. The address listed is my residence.

04/19/2018

Diane B.

It was the most horrible experience I have ever had. He did an ok job with first inspection , but coming back for reinspection. I think he had blinders on. There was a leak with a huge hole above my kitchen sink incoming from roof into attic supposed to repair roof fix leak then fix Sheetrock. Alls they did was nail a piece of plywood up over the hole and to boot left the bucket filled with water up in the attic , he passed it. Two month later veining collaped. Said we had a sprinkler system but he satiate he can’t test it cause well has to be primed. Guess what NO Sprinkler system! I had a piece of white medical tape on my wall under window sill I was like huh, I pulled it off a hole in the wall from a leak in the new window and it was soaking wet with mold. I had to rip it out Clorox and clean the mold and replace the Sheetrock . He is the WORST HOME INSPECTER! I swear he got paid off by someone , oh and the replace my French door with a regular storm door but that’s ok.never had a chimney guy check it out. Had to replace my side door according to him the people that were here so they did bought the door and left it here in a box ! Then shut off all utilities to the house before final walkthrough . But this guy sucks , had the door put in my someone the real estate people worked with it hangs crooked you can see the light through the top of it I put something over it so no bugs get through! But he passed it! I love my money pit. Neighborhood is great! But he deserves Not to be an expecter ! I am not finish with him yet!

Description of Work
I was buying a home Roger Herdt was the inspector

06/11/2015

Pattie W.

Mr Herdt was recommended by our mortgage company to provide inspection for a property under consideration. He was able to come soon, and both the current homeowner and my husband joined in on the inspection process. I was not there. Mr Herdt identfied several important considerations requiring repair, and was able to explain to all participants why attention was needed. The follow up appraisal report came promptly. I appreciated that Mr Herdt was accessible by cell phone, including texting. The printed report was delivered in paper to us, but electronically to the mortagage company who in turn forwarded to us. I appreciate having a digital copy as well as the printed copy. While this is my first experience with an inspector in this area, I consider the price a bit higher but not out of line with what I've paid in NC in recent years..

Description of Work
Home inspection prior to purchase.

03/14/2015

Cherylin C.

After leaving a message for Mr. Herdt he was prompt in responding and scheduling an appointment to inspect a home we were interested in purchasing. Mr. Herdt was punctual and greeted us in a courteous and friendly manner. He was thorough in his inspection of the home and although he would take time to answer many of our questions, giving us informative and satisfactory answers, Mr. Herdt would immediately stay on task, assuring all pertinent and important features of the home were inspected. Home shopping can be a very stressful activity in life and his inspection assisted in the important decision making process for us. We were so impressed with Mr. Herdt that we used his services again and would recommend him to anyone who needs a property inspected.

Description of Work
Mr. Herdt inspected two homes for us. After our first experience using his services, we were so pleased with his professionalism that we hired his services again.

10/21/2013

Amy R.

As a repeat customer, I'm obviously very satisfied with Roger's services. Moreover, he treated me with respect and answered all of my many questions as a first-time home buyer. I was never made to feel as if I was asking a silly question. I was impressed with Roger's attentiveness and knowledge of building codes and accepted practices. Importantly, I felt that he was working for me (that is, to protect my interests and investments) and not the real estate agents, who both have a vested interest in getting the home sold. Roger's inspection reports arrive promptly (a few hours after the inspection) as a PDF file. They are easy to read and understand, and they armed me with the knowledge to make the right choices in the buying/negotiating process. Thecost of service above reflects multiple services as well as some discounts -- based on my knowledge, Roger's prices are in line with other home inspectors in the area.

Description of Work
I have used Herdt Home inspection three times. Once for a property (built in the 1960s) that I did not end up buying, and twice for a property I closed on earlier in the month (built in the early 2000s). For that property, I asked Herdt Home Inspection to perform an initial inspection as well as a re-inspection of repairs that had been completed by the seller. I was present for all three inspections, and I was able to observe Roger's work. He is very thorough.

03/06/2013

Ralph A H.

Not to my satisfaction. The home owners lived out of state and litigation was going to be expensive and not a sure way of being compensated based upon an opinion I received from an attorney. The $400 returned for the inspection fee was only 1/3 of the cost to replace the two rear doors and left no money to replace the broken windows. In summary, I believe Mr. Herdt is a capable inspector but something went really wrong on this inspection. My advice is to be physically present for the inspection and don't be afraid to ask questions or bring up unsatisfactory conditions. It will save you money later on.

Description of Work
Herdt Home Inspections was responsible for performing a home inspection on a property we were purchasing in Florence South Carolina. Unfortunately I was unable to be at the actual home inspection on the date due to business travel. The Home inspection was interrupted because the people who owned the home had their electricity turned off on the day the inspection was to take place. It is possible that this had some bearing on the performed inspection. Mr. Herdt performed the inspection and found a number of items that needed correction. Regretably a number of key problems were not identified and reported in the home inspection report. Broken windows, one with an old BB shot through were not picked up upon inspection. Rot damage to rear doors was also not indicated in the report. All these items, if properly reported would have reduced my offering price for the home or I would have requested repairs prior to closing. Sadly the only liability a Home Inspector has in South Carolina is for the return of the inspection fee. Mr. Herdt and myself came to such an agreement.

Category home inspection

Rot damage was noted on report but was over looked by purchaser. Damage was not addressed by contractor performing repairs and no "re-inspection" was performed due to timing problems with closing. Only one window (BB damage) was broken and was not broken at time of inspection...damage apparently occurred between inspection and possession of house (one month).

07/21/2011

John K.

This was money well spend even though I did not buy the house, largely due to items Mr. Herdt identified. I concluded the house needed more work than I was comfortable with, even if the seller made the recommended repairs. He caught things I didn't, even though I have many years real estate experience.

Description of Work
Home Inspection of prospective house. Although not required by lender, I hired Mr Herdt to inspect the house I was considering. He was on time and prompt with his report which was more detailed than I expected.

C&L Home Inspection

C&L Home Inspection is independently veteran owned and operated. We are dedicated to providing the highest quality home inspection at a competitive price. We will provide you with professional and friendly service, as well as important and useful information about your home. Using state-of-the-art report writing software we present complex information in easy to understand terms. Our success is founded on trust built through a network of relationships. We earn and keep this trust by serving all members of our community with integrity and respect. Call us today to schedule your inspection: 843-455-3331

HOME INSPECTIONS OF FLORENCE

Choosing the right home inspector can be difficult. Unlike most professionals, you probably will not get to meet me until after you hire me. Furthermore, different inspectors have varying qualifications, equipment, experience, reporting methods, and yes, different pricing. One thing for sure is that a home inspection requires work, a lot of work. Ultimately a thorough inspection depends heavily on the individual inspector’s own effort. If you honor me by permitting me to inspect your new home, I guarantee that I will give you my very best effort. This I promise you. Mike McEwan

Home Inspection Services