Craftsman On Call

Founded 2002 • With Angi since July 2010

709 Woodrow St 118

Columbia, SC 29205

We specialize in handyman projects around your house. That list of things you've wanted done for a while! We charge by the "half day" and not by the item so make a huge list and We'll knock it out!

02/19/2018

Greg T.

It was an emergency and they came that day to take care of it. Really nice guys who did good, speedy work at a good price.

Description of Work
Fixed our front door - we had been broken in on

10/05/2017

Karen H.

No future correspondence after intial contact

Description of Work
Requested a quote for replacing a door. Sent pics of the old door and new door. Never responded back

05/17/2017

Kevin K.

We are very pleased with the work. Mckinley and his helper took extra care to round off all wood edges and followed swing hardware kit instructions. They were on time and courteous. Quality work and attention to details. Kids were swinging later that day...

Description of Work
Assembly of a wood-framed swing set.

Category contractors, handyman service

03/07/2017

Harold Dwaine J.

He was quick and diagnosed the problem. I bought the materials and he repaired the work. He took about five days and emailed pictures while in progress. I will highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Roofing and fascia

10/10/2016

Teresa R.

Eric came out the same day that I called him and gave me an estimate on the fence. He set an appointment to put the fence up and did not keep it. He did not let me know that he was going to miss his appointment, and now he won't answer his phone.

Description of Work
Eric gave me an estimate on putting up a small fence in my yard.

08/17/2016

Annabelle K.

It was great! He's super friendly and he had all of the tools needed and even went out to get one that he didn't have for no extra cost. He is very talented and definitely has a lot of experience

Description of Work
He hung wall fixtures and mounted my tv

08/07/2016

Thomas S.

He was very friendly and knowledgeable

Description of Work
He installed two ceiling fans

06/01/2016

Don A.

These guys are busy and there's good reason for that! Matthew was great. He did everything we asked and more. Very knowledgable and passionate about the quality of the work he does. There was no beating around the bush, he was straight to the point, which I like. Though most of the work was supposed to be done in one day, it was completed in about a week but was understandable due to the condition my house was in and the sheer volume of jobs he does in one day (which speaks a lot to their reputation). Matthew kept me up to date with everything, was on time each time he came by, and explained the problems he encountered and his solution to resolve them. His estimate was spot on and work ethic far surpassed what I was expecting going into my home repair projects. I would definitely recommend them for any home improvement project and will be using Matthew and the guys from Craftsman on Call in the near future!

Description of Work
Replace Hardware in doors, adjust exterior doors, weatherstripping all windows, interior/exterior light installation, installing doors sweeps, bathroom repair.

Category bathtub refinishing, electrician, picture framing, handyman service, lighting, replacement windows

04/25/2016

Laura L.

The gentleman on call (Matthew) was very knowledgeable and helpful. He provided excellent advice and went well above the call of duty in aiding us with a structural issue we were having with a bar area. He was very considerate and responsive! He provided excellent advice and expert insights on how to deal with our issue.

Description of Work
Provided expert knowledge and advise in dealing with a structural issue with a bar area in our kitchen/dining room.

Category remodeling

03/21/2016

Randall R.

Matthew Dubas repaired the roof, facia, and soffet; caulked, primed and painted. he even went around the roof and fixed some protruding nails and re-caulked in areas we hadn't discussed. Excellent job!

Description of Work
assessed roof leak and repaired.

Category handyman service, roofing

01/17/2016

Eve W.

Great. Am very pleased. Mckinley is very professional.

Description of Work
Remodeled laundry room: removed back door and refinished door frame, installed granite countertop, painted room, installed exterior door and put tinted window film on Windows.

Category handyman service, remodeling, window tinting, doors

12/30/2015

George H.

I previously had work performed by this provider in November 2013 and gave them an A rating. I thought I would see if they could help me again but did not get a response.

Description of Work
Nothing this time. I called and left a recorded message about whether they could install a water heater for me but did not receive a call back.

Category handyman service, plumbing

I am so sorry! I just went through all our voicemails and did see where you had called! We didn't intend to miss it, we take care of past customers as they come in by the handyman who helped you last. I will check and see who it was who help! We have gotten tons of calls with the flooding and holidays and are trying not to let anything fall through the cracks :-( so sorry this one did! And it is possible that Brian Barb helped back in November 2013? If so, Brian does great work and is also on Angieslist now on his own as Bravo Services, LLC and also has great reviews :-) Thank you for your understanding, and it is New Years Eve today so Happy New Year!

09/04/2015

Tracy T.

What amazing service. I got home from work and went to get my mail. The post was wobbly and I gave it a good shove. It seems the post had rotted and the whole thing broke off at ground level - with a big hunk of concrete still stuck in the ground. I called Craftsman on Call at about 5 pm. They came out and fixed it THAT NIGHT! (I had called a few other services before them and it was going to be a couple of weeks before they could get to me.) I was amazed. They texted me images of choices I had for new posts, we agreed on one, he picked up the supplies he need and was at my house before 7 pm and was done before 7:30. The price for labor was very reasonable. I would recommend these guys wholeheartedly.

Description of Work
Replace mailbox post.

08/20/2015

Sharon N.

McKinley was so wonderful! I called him in a panic and he helped out right away! My son is away at college, in his first apartment, and I am 9 hours away. All of his furniture came in a million boxes with a zillion pieces. I called Angie's List and got recommendations for a handyman near the school. McKinley answered my call and was at the apartment within an hour to give an estimate! He came back the next day and stayed until it was all put together perfectly! He was so nice to my son and he will be highly recommended to all his friends that need help. It was truly the best customer service I have ever received!

Description of Work
He put all of my son's furniture together.

08/06/2015

jacqueline H.

I tried to build a cabinet which was in pieces. The pieces were in a mess, and totally spread around. I called. The handyman was here within a couple of hours, and finished putting the piece together in no more than hour. He was efficient and I would use him again.

Description of Work
He put together a cabinet for me. I had made a muddle of it. I was surprised he could fix it so quickly.

Category custom cabinets, handyman service

08/02/2015

Jim H.

Crafstman on Call was a life saver! After trying for 5 hours to assemble a large Ikea bed storage unit and only succeeding in stripping two screws and crushing one toe, and confronted with the prospect of still needing to assemble a large Ikea wardrobe and unpack a condominium's worth of boxes after moving across country, my daughter and I were disheartened, discouraged, and defeated. I called my husband back on the West Coast and asked him to find a handyman on Angie's list who could help us that day. Mackinley (the Craftsman on Call) was a lifesaver! He rearranged his day's schedule to help us out that afternoon. He worked non-stop for 5 1/2 hours (staying long past dinner time) assembling the Ikea furniture (fixing our mistakes) and installing the blinds, securing book cases, etc. He was extremely professional, extremely efficient, extremely competent, extremely hard working, and extremely polite. He did an amazing job on the furniture assembly. We will definitely be keeping his number for the future renovation work we plan to do.

Description of Work
Assembled multiple pieces of Ikea furniture and installed blinds.

Category handyman service, remodeling

05/29/2015

Lawson C.

Excellent experience. McKinley is awesome to work with. I was amaze how many contractors never returned my phone calls. McKinley was quick to respond, very professional while going over work needed. Craftsman On Call, McKinley's company, arrived exactly on time and worked hard throughout the day and finished early. Price was great for the great quality of craftsmanship received. I highly recommend using Craftsman On Call

Description of Work
Replaced rotten window sills and masonite siding.

Category handyman service, replacement windows

It was a pleasure working for you guys! I'm so impressed how quickly your home sold and glad I could take care of the few items!

04/23/2015

Britney C.

McKinley responded quickly to my inquiry, was able to come out for 1/2 day within the week, and kept me in the loop for his arrival time. He requested pictures of what I needed done, so that he could come prepared. He worked quickly, stayed late, and was very professional. He also gave me ideas for further upgrades and was able to put me in contact with other experts in various fields (cabinet refinishing, outdoor electric, etc.). He ran electricity and installed a new garbage disposal, switched out kitchen faucet, hung 6 pictures for a wall collage, showed me how to switch out uplighting for outdoors, tacked siding on kitchen cabinet, and even stayed late to fix my little boy's ride on 4-wheeler. I could tell that he takes pride in his work and in his brand. I will definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Installed and ran electricity to garbage disposal, changed water faucet in kitchen, hung pictures for wall collage, fixed child's ride on toy, fixed cabinet.

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, plumbing

04/08/2015

Alana H.

Work was outstanding. Attention paid to details and the extension into the hallway is seamless. Carpet and particle board had to be removed so that new flooring would be level with existing. Always on time, pleasant and easy to work with. Stayed within estimate and finished on time. I highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Refinished hardwood floors in hallway and dining room and extended hardwood into another hallway.

Category handyman service, hardwood floor

02/13/2015

david L.

Fantastic! This was my best contractor experience since I've been in SC, and I have had many. Not only did he show up exactly when he said, the work was outstanding and it was completed that same day. McKinley showed up early (7am) at my request and worked until dark to get the job done - on top of that his commute was almost an hour! The job was expected to be fairly difficult for one person so he brought a helper to ensure the job got done on time - unbelievable! If there is something I think he can help me with in the future he'll be the first one I call. Thank you McKinley!

Description of Work
Installed need wood and replaced damaged wood on exterior eaves of home

Category contractors, handyman service, roofing, woodworking

01/19/2015

Rosa Maria C.

I am new in town and I had no idea who to call to put together the IKEA furniture I had bought. He was very professional, came on time, worked very well, he cleaned up after he finished. I am usually picky about how I like things done and I have to say he did awesome! He put together 2 bookcases, an 8 drawer dresser and a desk, all $200. I though it was a reasonable price. If I need anything else done at home, I would call him again 100%.

Description of Work
IKEA furniture assebly

Category contractors, handyman service

01/19/2015

heidi M.

McKinley could not be nicer! Even gave us a hand pulling out a spiral staircase. He's super fast and I plan to ask him to come back next week and do more!

Description of Work
ran wires from box for future work, installed bath fan, installed exterior motion light, moved some wiring in a wall

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, ceiling fans

08/19/2014

Elizabeth H.

I just didn’t have the time to get the service done. The provider was very cooperative and understanding.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for $299 for Handyman for the Day.

Category handyman service

Thanks for the great review! If you need anything in the future don't hesitate to call. We updated our website so it looks better not only on the computer but now also on iPhones and Androids :) Have a great day!

07/09/2014

Lee M.

I found another gentleman via Angies List and will use him for this job. Look for my review....

Description of Work
Wrote to this company by sending a message on this website and explained what I needed only to not hear back.

Category handyman service

I am so sorry I didn't respond from the angieslist message center! I have asked angieslist to allow those messages to get forwarded to our email address but it doesn't seem to be a possibility. I had not signed into the message center in a long time so I did miss a few messages, I apologize profusely! I do get the emails to craftsmanoncall@gmail.com and phone calls (and texts) to 803-339-9649 immediately. Communication is big for us as that is a common complaint for many of those in construction. Feel free to try us again using our email or phone or even from the website: www.craftsmanoncallsc.com Again, I am so sorry, it was not intentional! :)

06/15/2014

Brian G.

My experience with John has been very positive. He is always on time and on budget. He works hard to make sure the job is done right.

Description of Work
John and team repaired a fault in my roof that had water draining into my house. He also repair my damaged ceiling inside my house. In addition, John repaired a flashing that had water damage around my roof-line.

Category handyman service, roofing

Thanks for the kind words, it was a pleasure working with you, too! Look forward to future projects