Champion Windows and Home Exteriors of Columbia

Founded 1953 • With Angi since August 2010

There’s never been a better time to transform you home with Champion of Columbia! Think of us as a one-stop shop for everything you need to beautify your home’s exterior: windows, sunrooms, siding, roofing and doors. Only Champion offers the superior energy efficiency of Comfort 365 Windows,

4.1

3.8

4.1

4.4

3.9

window replacement (77)door installation (19)patio enclosures (17)siding companies (6)concrete repair (6)roofing (5)gutter repair (5)decks & porches (5)glass repair (4)Patios (3)hurricane shutters (1)woodworking (1)

09/14/2022

Kathy K.

The salesman from Columbus, SC showed me the size of the sunroom which I agreed on and gave a deposit. They wait until the three days were up to send someone out to give the final measurement. The measurements were much smaller than what the salesman had shown me. They were not willing to work with me on the size so I chose to cancel the contract. As the salesman gave me an inaccurate measurement, I felt a full refund was in order. However the contract states that once they come out to give the final measurement of the room you’re obligated to pay 30% of the contract price. It cost $10,000 to cancel the contract due to their Unscrupulous sales tactics. They would not work with me, did not care that I was retired and this was my savings. It was difficult to get in touch with anyone, I wrote letters I called with no response. When I did get a response, I was told I signed the contract too bad so sad you owe us $10,000! I would never recommend this company to anyone because of their unscrupulous sales tactics, waiting for the final measurement so that you are locked into the contract, and no compassion for the consumer. I feel they took advantage of me as a senior as the salesman kept measuring and re-measuring the room so it was a bit confusing.

Description of Work
Install a sunroom

03/26/2022

Leslie M.

Representative was knowledgeable of the product. The overall experience was pleasant. The prices were far more expensive than I expected. I believe that the product will exceed my expectations.

Description of Work
Window replacement

Category concrete repair, replacement windows

Work Completed On 03/26/2022

12/21/2021

Julie NO CALLS TEXT ONLY K.

Sales people should tell all information about the sunroom!! If you order a sunroom, you need to realize the floor and one wall will be unfinished (the original wall side of your house's siding/brick). I wish I knew this ahead of time , before I signed the contract with the salesman , that the sunroom's floor will be unfinished and no white paint 4 my townhouse's original old dirty brick wall. I would have just paid 4 my deck to become a screened-in porch instead, because it's already common knowledge that screened-in porches have unfinished floor and walls and they are alot cheaper than an ad-on sunROOM. Champion's pic ads of their sunrooms show the floorings are finished, but in reality, finished flooring isn't part of the contract. I ended up with a flat plywood board on my floor when the builders were done. That plywood board isn't being shown in any of Champion's pic ads = possible FALSE PIC ADVERTISING!! I learned my lesson. Don't automatically assume the contract will have everything included as shown in pic ads. However, the builders are courteous , polite and professional. They did a great job, but I'm disappointed to see that I paid nearly 26.5k for a sunroom with unfinished plywood flooring, dirty brick wall and old faded white paint from my shed's original siding. They could have at least given me vinyl flooring to give the end sunROOM product a NEW ROOM LOOK AND FEEL. Now, I need to pay more money to get the sunROOM completely finished.

Description of Work
Ad on sunroom

Work Completed On 12/20/2021

08/20/2021

Edward P.

2 windows were not correct upon installation, and one was cracked. I was assured they would be fixed quickly. It has been months since hearing from anyone. I am constantly having to track them down for status. Completely disappointed on their lack of follow through. I would not recommend them unless you hold off on full payment until the job is done to your satisfaction.

Description of Work
Replaced all of our windows

Work Completed On 08/20/2021

08/13/2021

Jenny H.

Stan gave great info on the window products and patio door when he came out for our appointment. The guy who came to double check measurements was very professional as well. The installers were great. I couldn't believe how quickly they were able to remove the old windows and replace them with the new. They also repaired rot and capped trim around windows. They cleaned up and hauled away the old windows when job was completed. I had cut back our shrubs from the windows so that helped them do the job quicker as well and they did make a point of letting me know they appreciated it. They started the job at 7:30 a.m. and told me they'd be done by 3 p.m. but they were actually done by 1! They were very accommodating about the fact that we had three indoor cats who had to be moved from the last room to be installed. We love the windows. We have a Cape Cod house and went with the grids on the front windows, but no grids on the side and backyard windows or the patio door. We have already noticed that the house is cooler inside from the Summer heat due to the windows. We had a great experience with purchase and installation with Champion Windows.

Description of Work
Window and Patio Door Replacements

Category concrete repair, replacement windows

Work Completed On 08/11/2021

04/30/2021

Kathy K.

Do not use champion windows! Their sales tactics and follow through are not consumer friendly. Once the three day grace period on the contract is up, they come to measure and you’re locked into the contract even if the measurements are different than what the sales person showed. The company does not care to deal with the consumer once the contract is signed and the three day grace period is passed no matter what the circumstances. In my opinion this is a very shady company to work with.

Description of Work
Screened in porch

Work Completed On 04/30/2021

04/21/2021

Ed K.

These guys are crooks. Do not buy from them. There sales rep Mike kept measuring and the room got smaller and smaller to fit the budget. Then we thought that the room size would be bigger. When the people came to do the actual measuring the room got smaller from what the sales rep had shown. We asked them to stop right there. It has been several weeks and we have not had any response from them about a refund of the $16k deposit we gave them. We called several times, sent emails, and even tried to contact the CEO of the company and were told he does not speak to anyone. Nick was supposed to contact us to resolve the issue and has not called us back even after several attempts by us. This company is ignoring us because they have our money and forcing us to take them to court. What a horrible experience! They will take your money and want to penalize you 30% if you cancel. CAUTION DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!!!

Description of Work
Never Did The Work

Category concrete repair, decks

Work Completed On 04/21/2021

Adrienne H.

I was very disappointed with the Sales Representatives and the Installers at Champion. For the amount of money I paid, I was not impressed. The sales representatives act like they are giving you a great deal on their products, that are so overly priced. I did purchase an Entry and Sliding door from Champion. After the installation of the Entry door, I noticed that they installed the wrong door knobs. Also the door will not lock, unless you put a lot of pressure on the door to lock it from either side of the Entry door (very frustrating). The Sliding door is very hard to lock too. After the installers left, they left my gate wide open in my backyard, I went outside to close the gate through the Sliding door. I came back in to lock the Sliding door which was hard to lock; then my hand slipped and got sealant all over my hand and fingers. Also, put a dent/hole into the sealant of the glass frame and messed up the Sliding door, leaving it aesthetically unpleasant. I also realized that the Sliding door frame had a lot of little holes in the wood and black scuff marks too. I immediately called the installers and the sales representative and left texts and pictures about these issues. The customer service I received was very unprofessional and is still unresolved. Buyers beware, please do your work on this company, Champion. They are over charging you and their customer service needs a lot of improvement. I will not be using this Window company, Champion for anymore of my home remodeling needs.

Description of Work
Installing Entry and Sliding doors.

Category concrete repair, doors

Work Completed On 03/03/2021

Review for Champion Windows and Home Exteriors of Columbia - 8 Fernandina Ct, Columbia, SC - 39245822

Andrew N.

Doors seem to be of high quality material so far. Champion was responsive throughout the process. A few things with the install weren't done exactly right but they came out and fixed everything to my liking - no questions asked.

Description of Work
Replaced 3 sliding doors

Category doors

Work Completed On 02/15/2021

Kathy K.

April 21, 2021 Do Not Do Business with Champion Windows! I was looking for an estimate for a screened in porch with windows and was referred to Champion Windows by Home Adviser. On February 5, 2021, Mike Kumar, salesman for Champion Windows came to my home to give an estimate. I was told that they did not do screened porches with windows so I decided to give him the opportunity to give me an estimate for a sunporch. The cost of the room was way over my budget; Mike kept making the room smaller and reducing the cost. After several times of remeasuring, I was tired and a bit confused, I went with the smaller room. I was told that the room would be from the side of my fireplace to between the kitchen and bedroom window. On February 17, 2021 Champion Windows came to do the final measure, the room got even smaller! It went from the side of the fireplace to a few inches past the kitchen window. On seeing that, I stopped the men and told them that this was not what I was told by the salesman. They told me they would have Mike Kumar call me and they left. After 3 days, I called Mike Kumar and left a message which he did not respond to until a day later when he offered me a larger room for an additional $3,000. Since it was out of my budget I declined and decided to go to the showroom in Columbia, SC to talk directly to his supervisor. I was there about 2 hours with Mike Kumar saying he was talking to his supervisor, who we never saw, and I finally asked for a refund as I felt he had stretched the truth about the measurements. He told me that I would loose 30% of the cost of room since they had come out to measure. I felt that since his measurements and the company’s measurements were not in line that I should not liable for the 30%. Mike told me I needed to call Nicholas Scarlato, the National Customer Care person for Champion Windows. I went to senior services for advice and they sent Nicholas Scarlato a letter asking for a full refund less the $1,000 as I did not cancel within the 3 day period. Nicholas Scarlato did not respond to the letter for over 2 weeks. I then tried to call him directly over several days with no response so I called the corporate office to speak with Todd Dixson, CEO of Champion Windows. I was told that he did not speak to customers that I would need to talk to Nicholas Scarlato from customer care. I then sent a certified letter dated April 6, 2021 to Todd Dixson, CEO explaining the situation from my point of view. April 7, 2021, Nicholas Scarlato called me and said he would look into the situation and call me back by Friday. That was about two weeks ago, I have called Nicholas Scarlato numerous times and he does not return my call. I called the Corporate office and they said they would email him my message. To date, I have not received a phone call from Nick Scarlato or a response to my letter to Todd Dixon, CEO. They have had $16,000 of my money since February 5, 2021 that was given in good faith, and I would like a refund as I feel that the measurements were not what I was told by the salesman. I am 70 years old and living on social security, I do not have money to throw away due to a salesman’s inaccuracy.

Description of Work
N/A

Work Completed On 02/05/2021

09/10/2019

FREDDY L.

It was good. We had a good experience with them. The first one wasn't a good experience. They broke another window while installing a glass door. They replaced the broken window and finished it up. All was well. We've been happy with them. They didn't have enough help and get them a while to get done.

Description of Work
They did front and storm door installation.

Category doors

Work Completed On 09/10/2018

D L.

Room looks nice. But they tore off adjoining roof to juxtapose their patio. They made 15 attempts to repair the leak (waterfall), to no avail. A state insurance adjuster declared it a “construction fault” and sent it on to Safeco insurance. Time elapsed? 10 months and still no way to reach insurance company. They say Champion has to approve. No one answers my or a lawyer’s calls. Meanwhile, Champion put a 12’ x 14’ rubber tarp on my roof tarp on the roof 6 months ago and says, if it is not leaking with the tarp covering my roof, what am I complaining about?

Description of Work
PATIO RM

Category replacement windows, sunrooms

Work Completed On 11/06/2018

CARL S.

Great, the project was completed to our satisfaction in a timely manner.

Description of Work
PATIO RM

Category replacement windows, doors, sunrooms

Work Completed On 12/06/2018

LESLIE C.

Very smoothly, wonderful experience

Description of Work
WINDOWS

GEORGE A.

Excellent.. was hesitant at first but the product was superb, and the installment process went without any glitch.. Extremely glad. Should have done this 20 years back.

Description of Work
WINDOWS

DONNA W.

Windows and doors in a screened in porch.

Description of Work
PATIO RM

Category decks, replacement windows, doors, sunrooms

Lillian E.

It take very long and they did not have an idea of what they were going to do it so it would be approved by HOA. They submitted the documents but the work was not performed according to the documents submitted. They charge an excessive amount of money and needed to come back several times to correct construction errors. The obtain the warranty you have to call in several times and are not punctual. There is a Manager who treats you very disrespectful. I DON'T recommend this company.

Description of Work
PATIO RM

Category replacement windows, sunrooms

Work Completed On 12/12/2019

12/19/2018

robert H.

A sales rep came to my house, 1 hour late, not a big deal. I told him that i was getting estimates, and they were the first to make it to my house. Throughout the discussions he kept mentioning if you want cheap windows, use Window World or Taylors? I reminded him that I wanted to get some estimates and do more research online. As he explained the prices that he was writing on some paper, the deal was only good for tonight, and if I call back tomorrow the quoted price was almost 50% higher. I asked to see all the numbers for the options we discussed and it was all a bunch of scribble that was unreadable by me for an estimate, none of the numbers were labeled. He continued to bash the competitors for cheap products that were not as energy efficient, then told me people who ask for estimates are usually looking for the lowest price. Shortly after he repeated it the second time, I stood up and said thanks, and let him know I took offense for referring to me as a "cheapskate" and walked him to the door.

Description of Work
Replacement windows estimate

Work Completed On 12/18/2018

Hello, My name is Shawanna and I would like to apologize for the recent negative experience that you had with your Champion Representative. Do you happen to remember the name of the Representative that came to your home? I would like to look into this matter to ensure that it does not happen again. This is not the Champion way and we look forward to servicing your future home improvement needs, Thank you for Choosing Champion.

10/23/2017

Marina P.

Windows look great, I noticed the sounds outside are not as loud as they were with the single pane old style windows. I also feel as though the heat of the sun does not penetrate through the window as it used to, therefore inside the house is more comfortable.

Description of Work
Used twice. First time 5 years ago replaced windows in the main part of the house - kitchen, living room, dining room. Second time about a year and a half later did remaining windows throughout bedrooms and bathrooms.

Work Completed On 10/23/2017

09/25/2017

Mollie B.

Well it was fine, but hideously expensive. I spoke to other people and they said wow we can't believe you paid $1400 for two small windows. I said well you know I won't do that again. I probably will go somewhere else. I have about 30 windows in my house. I will be using elsewhere. But it was certainly a good job they did. I appreciate the fact that I love my windows in my kitchen. But those days of calling on them is over. The fellow did a beautiful job of ceiling everything up so no air would come through. Weather proof and wind proof. I just called them as a test to see if I would use them in the future. Someday, this is a 1928 house I am going to get the windows done. But not from Champion I'm afraid. It was suppose it was so few, they would['t of done that if I ordered more. And I understand they have to send a guy to install two window. But they still would of been two high even at a lower price. Multitude of windows even if they came down from that considerably it would of still been too much. It would of been more than one of those other companies. Which I think they do a pretty good job, I've seen buildings that they've done they look pretty good. I have had people say hey I can feel the difference in my house in the winter and the summer. I was a fine job. Everything but cost was good. I called them and they sent somebody right away to measure the windows. The fellow who installed them was a young man and took great care, accountable and efficient. It wasn't a long time did a good job in ceiling everything up. The little fellow I would give him a A.They did a good job of getting here, it was a little bit later than I thought it would be, but I understand they had to make the windows. I would not use them again they are too expensive. I liked their work and the quality but I didn't like the price.

Description of Work
They installed two windows.

Work Completed On 09/25/2015

Thank you for choosing Champion for your home improvement needs. We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with our pricing. I would like to let you know that along with the price you also receive the benefit of your product being custom made to fit your individual needs. The limited lifetime warranty which will save lots of money and quality product's which are hard to beat. We hope you change your mind and will consider working with Champion again in the future, thank you. Shawanna

07/25/2017

Robert .

Overall below average. Poor customer service. Had to have sliding glass door re-installed. Areas that needed repair they did not repair installed door to cover up damaged areas. Contractor left nails in the driveway and caused a flat tire on my car. Champion response: Mistakes happen but you can't prove we damaged your tire. Caveat emptor: When buying replacement windows, be careful and do your homework.

Description of Work
Replacement windows including sliding glass door.

Category replacement windows, doors