Coastal Landscape Design

Founded 2006 • With Angi since November 2007

PO Box 14230

Charleston, SC 29422

Our mission is to provide excellent landscape services from the design phase through the complete installation of plant material, hardscapes and/or year round maintenance. It is the goal of Coastal Landscape Design, LLC to become Charleston, South Carolina's leading landscape company by offering unbeatable customer service through both short and long term plans that can accommodate a range of budgets and diverse needs....

08/24/2017

Bryan O.

Landscape Design and Estimate presented in May, 2016. Suitable for presenting to HOA. Work began in late July, 2016. Courtyard patio was professionally done and completed reasonably on time. During installation, Contractor responded to owner change requests, including extending a walkway, and shifting another from original plan, and including a step-down in the courtyard to account for ground slope. Landscape plantings were installed with modifications suggested by the contractor. Some plantings unevenly located in their beds, off by six inches or more. One or two specific plants ordered were not available, were promised back ordered but never delivered. Owner presented one concern on closing, regarding horizontal lay of patio, up to level of garage doorway and possible effect on drainage. Contractor assured that resolution would be made of any problems. Tabby walkway was delayed, and promised for January 2017. In early September, 2 months later, with heavy rains, water pooled up at garage door and several gallons leaked into the garage. Several of recently planted beds saturated and retained water for 5 days or more. Over course of next 5 months 35% of plants began yellowing. One umbrella palm, transplanted, died, Owner contacted Contractor formally in January 2017 of problems with drainage around garage and flooding, and to remind of desire for Tabby walkway. Contractor responded with intent to resolve. In April, Owner again contacted contractor, with specific examples of plants now dying, due to "drowning" from standing water around roots. Contractor inspected onsite, and again, assured remedial work to happen. In June, and again, July, 2017, Owner again contacted Contractor by phone voicemail and emails, with specific requests to resolve drainage, flooding into garage, replacement of $700 worth of drowned plants, and scheduling of the Tabby Walkway. To date has received no response. To minimize further damage, Owner was forced to resolve flooding, modify paver patio for improved drainage and replace dead plants, at own expense and labor, approximately $1000 worth. Rated poorly for poor to no responsiveness and no resolution to quality problems identified post installation.

Description of Work
Design and install Paver Courtyard patio, Backyard Landscaping to including transplanting, new plantings, tree plantings, . concrete front walkway and replace with Tabby.

Category concrete repair, hardscaping

05/02/2017

Nan N.

Terrific company and GREAT customer service. They provided detailed info about the properties of each type of mulch, and an easy method of calculating the quantity I would need. I had a miscommunication about the exact location of the mulch delivery, and the owner actually came to my house to help me get it where it needed to be. Incredible! Local owner really is serious about customer service. I recommend them 100%!

Description of Work
I needed 10 cubic yards of mulch to cover a large shaded area where grass can't grow.

Category landscaping, mulch

04/12/2017

Rebecca H.

Once the HOA approval process was complete, the actual installation went quickly and we are very happy with the final product. Communication/follow-up was an issue at times prior to installation.

Description of Work
Paver patio design and installation

Category hardscaping, patios

01/24/2017

Anita M.

Great. They worked quickly and cleanly.

Description of Work
Stone Patio

10/18/2016

Mary A.

After identifying them as a potentially appropriate provider, I left a message on their website re: the work I would like done. I received a phone message to call the office to schedule an appointment. I have left several messages requesting a return phone call, with no response. If I have this much trouble getting a response just setting up a visit for an estimate, what would working with the company be like?

Description of Work
Landscape design, irrigation & sod, hardscape.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, hardscaping

11/03/2015

SCOTT M.

A slight discrepancy with the quote, but the work was good.

Description of Work
Landscaping.

06/15/2015

Jeffrey F.

We worked closely with CLD to come up with a design for our patio and they did the installation. They were very easy to work with and very professional. They were able to trim some costs to meet our budget and the final cost was exactly as quoted. The installation went smoothly (they handled a delay in the paver delivery with fantastic communication to us), and the quality was top notch. Very pleased with results and hope to work with them again.

Description of Work
Designed and installed paver patio, including new concrete under porch and for a hot tub pad.

10/27/2014

Tara K.

Everything was great! They listened to what we wanted and were polite, respectful, and punctual!

Description of Work
They built a pergola and put in a tabby patio. 20x15

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

10/08/2014

Sarah L.

Our yard was a bizarre, poorly done Asian landscape when we moved in. It was full of rock paths to nowhere, weed-only grass-like patches, juniper bushes and monkey grass. We referred to the back yard as the "dirt pit" because that's all it was. Kevin, Pete and the team did unbelievable work turning around what was a very embarrassing entry to full on curb appeal. We went from the weirdest yard on the block to seriously one of the best in the neighborhood. To detail all that was done, they: Took down 5 trees (3 sweet gums in the back yard- yeah, you know, the ones that drop the prickly balls, and 2 pines in the front yard). Completely demoed and re-graded both the front and back yard. The root systems were a huge pain! Transplanted a few prize items- canna lillies, in particular. Sodded with gorgeous Zoysia in the front and back yard. Created new beds with all new plants so that we have blooms in some part of the yard year-round. Replaced a section of fence in the front that we had to take down to allow trucks/bobcats in the back yard. Layed pinestraw galore. These guys did this project on budget and on-time when some other landscapers we met said it couldn't be done on our budget of $10-15k. They created a truly enjoyable space that we love to spend time in year round and is pretty low-maitenance to keep looking beautiful. The grass has stood up really well to our German Shorthair and is really thick and lush. All the plants are doing great too. I can't say enough about their willingness to work with you on a budget. They created a design that has been beautiful from the start, but also allowed us to build on it over the years. They were also responsive to a couple small issues we had and resolved it right away. Would absolutely recommend them!

Description of Work
Complete overhaul of front, back and side yards.

10/07/2014

Luke H.

It went well. We had lots of rain that slowed things down. At one point, Debbie was not happy with the paint color of the stucco wall and recommended we repaint (at her expense). She was on site nearly 100% of the time. Overall very pleased and would recommend her.

Description of Work
Debbie and her crew installed a beautiful hardscape coming off our rear porch. This hardscape was made of pavers, walls made of stucco, topped with decorative flat rock. In addition, she put in a curving walkway of large flat stones.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Seems to be a few problems with this review. First off it is the wrong company. We do not employ a Debbie. Secondly if you read the review the customer seems to be very happy but gives a D and F rating. Not sure what is going on here.

07/11/2014

Norma and Thomas S.

EXCELLENT work - friendly, responsive.

Description of Work
Yardwork - mowing, edging, keeping beds cleaned, pruning bushes.

07/05/2014

David M.

We experienced a cracked concrete driveway, dying sod pieces, unavailable plants, and two misdirected irrigation heads. Pete and his team fixed everything in a timely manner. We absolutely hope every project we undertake goes as smoothly and professional as CLD provided.

Description of Work
CLD's 9 day project included grading, sodding, rain garden, plantation mix walkway, mulch, plants and trees, and irrigation system. Kevin's detailed design provided us what we could expect including type and quantity of plants, planting bed configuration, walkway construction, and drainage system. He was very easy to deal with any and all changes we wanted to the design and was always available through email and cell phone. He was able to accurately calculate the the amount of materials we would need including sod, pine straw, and mulch. When the project began, the crew including a site supervisor arrived on time and put in a whole days worth of work. The supervisor and Kevin gave detailed instructions on the irrigation system, sod and plant care. CLD did not stop working with us until we were completely satisfied. The owner, Pete was on-site on several occasions as well. We highly recommend Coastal Landscaping Design and look forward to our next collaboration with the team.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch

07/02/2014

robert B.

They came on time and they were professional. They got the job done and I could not ask for a better job.

Description of Work
They fixed an irrigation system.

Category irrigation systems

05/19/2014

John G.

I really liked the owner and the follow-up has been good. They delivered what they said they would deliver.

Description of Work
We have used Coastal Landscape Design. They completely redesigned the entire back yard including walls, pergola, and planter boxes.

05/07/2014

Stephen J.

I actually came in contact with this provider because of a problem with another company. I was delighted with the service provided. The workmen were very prompt and efficient. Fixed my system just fine. I would call them again.

Description of Work
The company serviced my sprinkler system

Category lawn service, irrigation systems

Mr. [member name removed], I think this is the wrong company, we do not employ a Chris and have no records of you calling or e-mailing us. I appoligize for your experience however please remove this from out wall, we are Coastal Landscape Design.

04/10/2014

Yvonne M.

As said before we are quite satisfied with Mr. Tufts and look forward to hopefully hiring him and his company. He was very professional and helpful with our wishes and his ideas were very good.

Description of Work
Unfortunately with our last appointment there was a miscommunication and our dates were mixed up. We rescheduled and all is good. Mr.Tufts came out and listened to our wishes, gave us options and ideas, answering all questions we had to our satisfaction. We are so pleased we resolved our date mix up and looking forward to his estimate.

Category landscaping

Unfortunately, we had a meeting scheduled for the following week. There seemed to be a communication break down, WE DO NOT NO CALL NO SHOW. As soon as I read this review the customer was contacted within 15 minutes and explained we had them scheduled for the following week. We are not the company that will no call no show, so if this happens to anyone in the future, please call us first instead of posting a negative review that is not representative of who we are.

03/27/2014

Michael A M.

After struggling with another well known landscaper in the area, we made the switch to Coastal Landscape and Design and have never been more pleased and impressed with all they have accomplished. Kevin and Pete's professionalism are second to none. Their estimates and proposals were well though out and right in line with the work they performed. The suggestions they gave us were just that. No pressure to add additional items. In fact, in some areas they suggested things we could do at a much cheaper price. The crew was friendly, neat and got the job down quickly and efficiently. Any issues we have had have been address and taken care of immediately. We would definitely recommend Costal Landscape and Design to anyone looking to beautify their home and maintain their landscapes appearance.

Description of Work
Complete Clean-up of yard and landscaping, removal of trees, replanting of gardens, planting new shrubs, additional pathway on the side yard, mulcing, pinestraw, weekly yard maintenance.

Category landscaping, lawn service

GREAT Clients with great communication. This is a prime example of a great customer who knew what they wanted and were not getting it with their current provider. They told us exactly what they wanted then we were able to use our creative edge to make suggestions. Then we executed the project, and started maintenance. Thanks for the business,

02/28/2014

Mary Lee L.

Kevin and Pete were on the ball, beautiful design with complete graphics, layout and detailed configuration on paper. This eventually led to acceptance of a wonderful design and full disclosure of pricing, name of plants and names of the suppliers of the hardscape. The crew who implements the design were friendly and courteous, extremely hard working and efficient. Kevin was always informative if the implementation wasn't to the specifications of the original design, always kept us informed. Ryan, the young man, responsible for irrigation was likewise excellent. I would highly recommend them. I told Kevin and Ryan that they could use us as a reference.

Description of Work
Designed and installed hard and soft (plants) components.

Category landscaping

A small typo, the project was $20,000.00 not $ 20.00 Thanks so much for the positive feedback. These clients were extremely understanding about the delays we had due to weather. We has a very rough winter with unusually cold weather and an unusual amount of rain. This project was a great example of our system working: 1 - we met the customer, 2 - they told us what they were looking for 3 - We created a full design integrating the clients wishes and our creativity 4 - We presented it onsite 5- Then executed the project to a "T" Thanks

01/31/2014

Angie A.

It was kind of disappointing. They showed up as planned and were very professional in how they handled the appointment, but I thought that I was going to have a yard planned that I could plant from, but I didn’t get that.

Description of Work
Landscape assessment.

Category landscaping

I am a little surprised about this response. We do very nice designs, with a lot of detail. Compared to other designers even some Landscape Architects in the area I have found ours to be much more detailed.

01/20/2014

John P.

We had a death in the family plus I work out of town so we were unable to get the first phase implemented before winter. We are looking forward to beginning the work in the upcoming spring. Our yard will be so gorgeous when we're done!

Description of Work
We purchased one of Angie's List"s Big Deals for this service and couldn't be happier with our experience. Kevin, the company's landscape designer, came out and spent quite a bit of time with us to develop a landscape plan for our yard based on our vision and his expert analysis of what would work for our shade-filled yard. He then came back to deliver his plan and go over the details with us. His ideas are awesome and we can't wait to implement them! He then had his boss come out to give us an estimate for completing the first phase of the work.

01/13/2014

Pamela P.

Great service. They kept in contact with me, finished job on time. Workers were inconspicuous and quiet.

Description of Work
Tore up old concrete patio and redid with pavers including a fire pit. Re-landscaped area too.

Category landscaping, drain pipe, hardscaping, outdoor kitchens

01/11/2014

Barbara L.

It went very well. I respected their professionalism and knew that they would be a great group to work with. I just was not able to use their services at this time due to the cost.

Description of Work
This is a very professional organization. Unfortunately, for my back yard they advised me to regrade and start over. I knew they were right, but I just could not afford to do that. They went ahead and drew up plans for my front yard to enhance my existing flower beds and to address a drainage problem that I was having. The plans were wonderful, and they chose plants that would work well with little maintenance. Because I have a driveway that is cracked due to a large maple tree root, I knew I had to address this problem first. They gave me a quote on redoing it, but it was way out of my price range. Even though, I was not able to do business with this firm, I respected them greatly and admired their professionalism. I have no doubt that they do excellent work. I am hoping that I will be able to use them in the future.

12/09/2013

Mary Lee L.

Kevin was terrific.We have been working with him since our initial consultation. He provided an aerial design and used specific plants as well as hard scape materials for a patio and walkway. We are definitely using him for all of our landscaping needs.

Description of Work
Discussed plants and landscaping design for our home.

11/18/2013

IULIAN S.

I purchased a Big Deal for $100. In the end did not use their services and got the money refunded.

Description of Work
Paid a 30 minutes visit and discussed about the project

11/12/2013

paul K.

Estimate only---no services performed to dat

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal from Coastal Landscape Design