Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc.

Founded 1980 • With Angi since January 2010

2.5

PO Box 1114

Chapin, SC 29036

Tru - Bilt, Inc. was started in 1982 by its current President Mike Harkey. Originally Tru - Bilt's main line of work was cabinets, home remodeling and additions. Over time custom and spec homes became the mainstay of the company. As business grew Mike's stepson Jim, started to focus on bath and

04/29/2019

Melissa L.

My project included drywall repair of partial walls in a bedroom and bath due to sewer backup, demo of tile shower and replacement with cultured marble, removal and replacement of tile flooring in one very small bath/laundry area, and painting of walls in 2 bedrooms and the small bath area, as well as carpet in the 2 bedrooms. It has been 2 MONTHS and it is still not finished. Jim ( the owner I think, and who I dealt with) often just doesn't show up when he said he would be here. He will get VERY upset if you comment on something about the project that needs more attention, and although he hasn't finished my job yet it appears some figures he told me aren't accurate now that I see his final bill, sent a week ago although the job is STILL incomplete. An example of one of many small frustration with this company: He threw away the knobs to my bath vanity and the hanging apparatus that came with my bath mirror so if he doesn't show up again, I am missing parts to items I just purchased brand new! I will add to this review once my dealings with Jim and Trubilt are over. One of the vendors he sent over even said they would never work with him again. But for now all I can say is BEWARE! Pictures, texts, and documentation available upon request.

Description of Work
Renovations involving Drywall, tile, painting, carpet.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, woodworking, interior painters

06/16/2017

Caycee W.

Tru-Bilt made living in a home while remodeling more stressful than it needed to be. The contractor would spit out empty promises and tell us what we wanted to hear and then make no or little effort to meet timelines. What could have easily been finished in a month took three months. The subcontractors complained about not being paid several weeks into the project so they obviously lacked motivation, they also told us they were told there was no rush completing the project. They were also not qualified to do some of the work they "did". When replacing shingles on the roof, they did not re-seal any of the existing shingles where they placed new ones, resulting in the roof leaking when bad storms came through all over my newly remodeled kitchen. They would give us every excuse imaginable, including blaming the homeowner for the electrical not getting finished because walls weren't painted...but when you work a full time job, it's just about impossible to paint walls in the dark in the evenings. Tru-Bilt gave the best quote and reasonable timeline to win the project and then spent more time asking for the next payments than getting the work done. We are still finishing up and repairing work Tru-Bilt did in our home. If I can recommend anything at all, it's to move on and don't even give yourself the hope of getting a good quote- it will not be worth it in the end.

Description of Work
Kitchen update and master bath remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, home remodeling

01/29/2014

Thomas W.

This was supposed to be a 4-6 week project, but after watching the actual work effort, could and should have taken no more than 5. In actuality it took 8. As a sub-contractor I don't fauilt Tru-Bilt for all the delays but most of the delay was caused by them being understaffed and pulling the limited resource from my project to do other work. We would never know IF someone was going to show up to work on any given day, when they would have to leave, or what they were planning on getting done. As an example, the owner came to our house on a Friday near the and quot;endand quot; and said there was only two days of work remaining and that it would get done starting Monday. The worker assigned DID start on Monday, worked some on Tuesday but was pulled the remaining three days of that week. It took an additional 5 - 7 days even then only had him part time. There was a great deal of wasted time and effort in redoing the same work. An example is that one worker was told to paint the bathrooms and kitchen. The next worker came in to do the tile work and got mortar all over the freshly painted walls, doors, cabinets so it had to be redone.

Description of Work
The cost of the project attributed to Tru-Bilt is an estimate as they were a sub on this project. They were hired to upgrade two bathrooms and a kitchen to include new flooring, new ceilings, some new cabinets, and prepare the bathrooms for a new shower and vanity, prepare the kitchen for new counter tops.

Category marble & granite

08/15/2012

Janice H.

That cracked shower wall upset me and then I discovered a couple of other issues as well. Jim came out and not only did he repair the shower, he actually improved upon it. They took their time and took great pains to do quality touches like repairing the dry wall that was damaged in the process. They also left me the paint that they had mixed especially for that repair. They were thoughtful, kind and kept me informed through out. I simply cannot WAIT to use that shower again! Jim made extremely good suggestions. He gave me some wonderful ideas!

Description of Work
A cracked slab of cultured marble was replaced in my shower. All the corners and seams of same shower were re calked and new trim was applied which not only improved the look of the shower but it better insures against leaking. Resulting damage to dry wall was repaired. A chip was sanded out of our cultured marble sink. Also, a broken ceramic floor tile in yet another bathroom was replaced.

Category marble & granite

Sanchez Painting

Proudly Serving the Columbia and surrounding suburbs. Locally owned and operated.

2022 Super Service Award

Vitesse Painting

Keller's Residential Services

With over 25 years of painting experience, here to help you with all your painting and handyman service needs you may have.

Check, Financing Available, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

We don't offer the 5% senior citizen discount after $10,000.00

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc.

How is Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. overall rated?

Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. is currently rated 2.5 overall out of 5.

What days are Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. open?

Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. is open:

What payment options does Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. provide

Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. accepts the following forms of payment: Check, Financing Available, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Does Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offer free estimates?

Yes, Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offers free project estimates.

Does Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

Yes, Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offers eco-friendly accreditations.

Does Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offer a senior discount?

No, Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. does not offer a senior discount.

Are warranties offered by Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc.?

Yes, Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offers warranties.

What services does Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offer?

Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. offers the following services: Kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, new homes, additions, renovations, decks, porches, siding, windows, granite counter tops, quartz, laminate counter tops, (cultured marble, tubs, showers, panels and tops.) cabinets, flooring, tile, hardwood, cabinet hardware, design, home repairs.

Are there any services Tru - Bilt Homes, Inc. does not offer?

We don't offer the 5% senior citizen discount after $10,000.00