Tom Kuhn Home Improvement

Founded 1995 • With Angi since February 2004

146 Odette St

Pittsburgh, PA 15227

Family owned & operated. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service fee. May contact through e-mail. Additional contact: Nick Kuhn....

01/29/2020

Jessica G.

I cannot express my gratitude enough for Tom, Don and Brian. Don and Brian were very professional, friendly and great with my three-year-old dog and one-year-old daughter running around. They spent about a month at our house during various projects and they were not intrusive at all. I appreciated how clean they kept everything. Don was great at explaining anything I asked and showing me how everything was going. I felt at home with them. I cannot recommend their work enough!

Description of Work
We added wooden stairs that lead from our outside deck down to our lower patio. We had old wooden paneling in a room replaced with dry wall, and exposed a window as well as put a new window in. We had all our doors upstairs repaired to be able to close properly.

Category handyman service,insulation,remodeling,replacement windows,woodworking

10/22/2018

Haley N.

I have hired Kuhn's Home Improvements twice in the past 4 years. The first time I hired them to repair a rotted soffit on my back porch, as well as make repairs to the gutter/downspout and repaint the tin roof. After getting estimates from 5 different contractors, I chose them because of their reasonable price, availability, friendliness and professionalism. They did a fantastic job with this first repair and so when I needed the roof repainted again, as well as some other odd winter-readiness jobs I didn't bother getting estimates from other companies - I trusted Kuhn's and wanted to hire them again. This time I hired them to scrape and repaint the back porch roof, and tuck-point the brick and repair the gutter system on the front porch, which involved creating and installing a new evetube and installing a new downspout and elbow. With both jobs the Kuhn's crew was extremely professional. The woman who answers the phones for them always communicates when they are expected to begin work and updates you if weather changes that or if there are delays of any kind. The crew always arrive promptly as expected and work quickly and efficiently, cleaning up after they go. For both jobs they went out of their way to take care of other issues (without charging more), such as clearing a nearby gutter, spot painting as needed, trimming back a tree branch that was touching the roof, etc. This time I was very pleasantly surprised and grateful to see the crew even filled a large gap in my front steps, without me asking them to. I trust Kuhn's Home Improvements, and should I need additional repair work in the future, I wouldn't hesitate to hire them again. Highly recommended.

Description of Work
Tuck-pointing, scrape & paint tin roof, repair soffit, evetube and downspout.

Category gutter cleaning,gutter repair,masonry,roofing

08/28/2018

Kathryn T.

I called to find out about getting an estimate and the women who answered the phone said they don't do the outside of whole houses. It says here he has done 8 exteriors.

Description of Work
Exterior of my home

Category house painters

We only paint roofing and tin work, we have never painted the whole outsides of and home. Sorry about any miss leading info on Angies list.

06/23/2018

Tania L.

Very well. They came within a day of my calling them, took care of it quickly and with no bother to me. And their price was quite reasonable. I plan to hire them again.

Description of Work
Needed my gutters cleaned

Category gutter cleaning

06/01/2018

Kay and Ron B.

Excellent. Tom Kuhn’s Home Improvement is very competent and trust worthy. We would use them again . We would without reservation highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Our gutter guards were installed incorrectly by someone else and we had a problem because of this . Kuhn’s home improvement explained everything to us and reinstalled correctly. Kuhn’s home improvement also cleaned our gutters. They were very efficient , capable and professional. Their pricing was excellent.

Category gutter cleaning,gutter repair,roofing

05/02/2018

Jim S.

Repair leaking roof in three places. Had to replace 5 shingles and install fascia trim on the box gutters. Cleaned and caulked gutters and downspouts. Called them at 4 PM Monday and made an appointment to see job Tuesday at 9 AM, show up right at 9 gave an estimate on the spot and returned Wednesday at 9 AM, did all of the repairs by Noon. They were very professional and polite will recommend them anytime.

Description of Work
Leaking roof in three places.

Category gutter cleaning,gutter repair,roofing

07/20/2017

Martin B.

It was done timely and professionally.

Description of Work
Roof work and replaced chimney flashing with new copper.

07/05/2017

Anne S.

This is the weirdest interaction I think I've ever had with a company. (Let me preface this by saying 95% of Angie's list reviews that I do are A-B ratings...usually A). I left a message on what sounded like a non-descript residential phone line. A woman called me back. I asked if Tom could come give us a quote, and she never confirmed there was a Tom. She kept saying they? OK, who are they? I asked if we could have them out in the evening and she very quickly interrupted me and said in the evenings they are busy eating dinner and going to kids' ball games....didn't let me finish my sentence, so I had to ask about mornings. (My husband sometimes works 70 hour weeks, so God forbid I work with a contractor to find a time he can be here). She said she would check. I was under the impression that Tom, or "they" would give me a call back. 2 days later, she called back and left me a message, saying that they wanted to know what kind of fence we wanted. Um, we don't know, because that's what we called Tom, or they, or whoever for....to come take a look at what we need, offer professional expertise, and give us a catalog so we can make a decision as to what type of fence we want. We have NO idea what we want, which is why we called this contractor! I had the impression that this contractor is not really eager to help us. I had no desire to call this woman or they back. I can't even answer the question, and I don't want to deal with somebody in the middle, as I feel everything is getting lost in translation. Fortunately, we found somebody who does fences and was willing to give us a catalogue and come to our house after dinner for a quote.

Description of Work
We need a new fence

Category fencing

05/17/2017

ANN G.

Thoroughly pleased with service. Excellent quality service.

Description of Work
Repaired patio roof.

10/03/2016

Barbara S.

A number of areas needed plaster repaired in my home. I have textured plaster so the repairs required more than smooth plaster. They were very respectful of my property with regard to cleanup and protecting areas from dust and debris. I have used them before a few times and have always been pleased. It is a family business and a very courteous one. I will continue to use them for future work. Thank you!

Description of Work
Plastering

Category plastering

Chernega Construction LLC

Chernega Construction is a trusted family owned business based out of Lower Burrell, PA that services the surrounding Pittsburgh area. We specialize in home remodeling, new home construction, concrete work, and roof installation. If you can dream it. We can build it. For over 3 decades, we have specialized in residential construction, and commercial general contracting.

Jeff Jones Masonry

Local business who cares about quality service and the best prices around. Family owned and operated. 40+ years of service in the masonry and concrete industry.

Johnson Masonry Restoration LLC

At Johnson Masonry Restoration we specialize in restoring residential/commercial masonry work to its original beauty! We offer many masonry related services. We are a small family business with years of experience and pride ourselves in offering the best price for the customer. Some services we offer are; concrete resurfacing. repointing, chimney repairs, acid wash, graffiti removal, weather sealing, retaining walls, lentil repair, parging, chimney sweeping/cleaning, power washing And more!

Roofing repairs & replacement, siding, soffit, fascia, gutters, doors, windows & minimal interior remodeling.

Flat roof repair & replacement.