Phillips Heating & Air Conditioning Company

Founded 1979 • With Angi since January 2004

At Phillips Heating & Air Conditioning, our priority is you, the customer. We’re Allegheny County’s home comfort specialists since 1977. From heating and air conditioning installations to furnace repairs and duct cleaning, we’ve built our excellent reputation through decades of superb service and customer relations. We help you create and maintain a comfortable indoor climate and healthy indoor air. We can install entirely new heating and air conditioning systems, upgrade your current system to energy-efficient, money-saving new models, inspect older systems for safety risks, and repair any equipment necessary. In the event that your equipment needs servicing now, you have peace of mind knowing we’re only a phone call away. We provide 24/7 emergency service....

A Service Provider's profile image

+2 more images

HVAC Companies (421)electrician (9)appliance repair (4)air duct cleaning (21)water heaters (14)plumbers (14)drain cleaning (2)ceiling fan installation (2)metal fabrication (1)well & water pump repair (1)fireplace services (1)chimney repair (1)

08/31/2021

Joseph C.

It went good they were professional, on time, efficient and knowledgeable.

Description of Work
AC Repair

Work Completed On 08/10/2021

10/20/2020

Eddie W.

The Phillips HVAC crew is very professional. They made sure the entire process was explained at every turn so that not just myself by my aging mother could understand everything that is needed to operate the system. They were on time and finished ahead of schedule on the day fo the install. This is not the first time that I have used this company and it will not be the last time I use them. They are my go to family owned company to call.

Description of Work
Old boiler removed and new boiler installed with plumbing updated and chimney liner

Work Completed On 10/19/2020

Review for Phillips Heating & Air Conditioning Company - 1100 E Warrington Ave., Pittsburgh, PA - 38963590

10/20/2020

Eddie W.

Everything went very well. During the first sub zero cold snap of the year they repsonded promptly and kept the situation moving. They explained all of the options very well so that I knew what the options were and what were the key factors between the systems. Once I made a decision they even helped my secure a financing option as the quick repalcement was not a planned item that was bidgeted for. Based on the system they installed, the reduction in the gas bill at my house will have easily paid off the newe system in a few years.

Description of Work
Furnace replacement

Work Completed On 11/18/2019

Review for Phillips Heating & Air Conditioning Company - 1100 E Warrington Ave., Pittsburgh, PA - 38968446

10/16/2020

john K.

I feel they overcharged me. The part was listed for $145 online and I was charged $526. The job took 45 minutes.

Description of Work
Boiler repair

Work Completed On 10/16/2020

10/05/2020

Drew L.

We called Phillip's to service our air conditioner and provide a quote for replacement. The technician was late, the repair rushed, and we did not receive a quote. The technician advised us someone else would be in contact with us to provide the quote. After two weeks, we did not receive a call. We called Phillip's and they said they did not have us scheduled and would put us on the schedule today. No one called or showed up. We called the following week and asked again, when would someone be here to provide a quote. They said they were very busy, but someone would be out this week. Nothing. The following week the owner calls us and apologizes for our paperwork getting lost in the shuffle and schedules a day the following week that he will be out personally to provide a quote. He doesn't show up. We call him hours after he was supposed to arrive and he tells us "Oh yeah, I was supposed to be at your home but it wasn't on my schedule so I did not go". He then suggests a day late the following week that he could possibly stop by. We told him we had no confidence that he or his company would actually arrive and after multiple weeks of mismanagement, had absolutely no interest in ever using their company again.

Description of Work
Quote for AC Replacement

Work Completed On 06/04/2020

08/12/2020

Nicole G.

Excellent. Loved that they emailed picture of tech when he was on way so I knew who was coming.

Description of Work
AC diagnosis & Repair

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

08/06/2020

Stella M.

Went well. Problem was located quickly. Took a few minutes to locate source of problem as thermostat would not work. Check of outside unit showed problem which was quickly replaced ,new thermostat was installed and cool air began coming from unit. Whole repair took just slightly over 2 hours.

Description of Work
repair AC unit. Something in unit shorted out and shorted thermostat. Both parts needed replaced

Work Completed On 08/06/2020

03/10/2020

PATRICIA E.

Bob came out and checked out the furnace, it would have cost me to replace the motor that was broken, he also told me that my furnace was 14 years old (which I didn't realize). He worked his "magic" and quoted me with two choices, no pressure but a great suggestion. Nate and Mike came on Friday to install, very polite and very courteous and mostly so professional! I would recommend this company to any one looking for a great company and great services!

Description of Work
New Furnace

Work Completed On 03/06/2020

02/13/2020

Brian A.

My old furnace died overnight so I called the heating company down the street I've been using for a few years. They quickly pronounced it dead and gave me a quote on a replacement unit. One thing I found a little odd was the quote took like 5 minutes. Maybe it is just that simple but I expected a little more detail considering the money involved. With the amount involved, I decided to get a second quote and called Phillips. The technician that was very professional, did a MUCH more thorough exam of my furnace (took the thing half apart) and concurred it was my secondary heat exchange. I asked him to quote me a replacement and two things stood out to me. First, it took him about 45 minutes to gather info and write up the quote. Second, he gave me options in three price ranges, explained in detail the differences between the options and told me which one compares closest to my current unit. I suddenly felt much more comfortable about the large amount of money I was about to spend. I decided on a model and he was able to schedule it for the next morning. He explained in detail what would need to be done, gathered more info and took photos to pass on to the installers. The payment for that day's visit was applied to the furnace price. He also offered to have space heaters dropped off to get me through the night (but I already owned one) which I appreciated. The installers showed up on time the next morning and they were professional, presentable and courteous. They explained how the installation would go, gave me a couple of options on where they could run cables and honestly didn't bother me again until the end of the day when they needed to get the thermostat on my WiFi network. Another technician nearby finished a job early and came over to help so they finished a little early. They explained everything to me and answered my questions. Nobody is ever happy about suddenly needing to spend thousands of unplanned dollars but it's nice to walk away from the experience with a good feeling.

Description of Work
Furnace Replacement

Work Completed On 02/13/2020

07/10/2019

Richard H.

Good! They were on time and professional. They seem to be prepared when they do the service as their supplies are ready.

Description of Work
They did maintenance service on our furnace and air conditioning.

Work Completed On 11/10/2018

06/17/2019

David E.

Both jobs went very well. The heat pumps were installed in one week, exactly as projected. Jim was very helpful in laying our the job, making good recommendations and suggesting various options, such as locations of the units, etc. The contracts were written out is great detail and all my questions were answered. The workers were very efficient, answered all questions completely and were very pleasant to work with. Ed was very knowledgeable and led the team very well. He was an excellent mentor for the young members. Eric did the boiler work and it also went very well and was left in tip top condition. Every radiator was thoroughly emptied and refilled and bled.

Description of Work
Phillips Heating installed a split system heat pump system in our house. They also did some work on our Weil-McLean boiler, including replacing the expansion tank, doing a thorough cleaning of the heat exchanger and a general inspection.

Work Completed On 06/07/2019

03/22/2019

david G.

Very good. The price was right. They came right away.

Description of Work
installed heater

Work Completed On 03/22/2015

10/12/2018

LEROY L.

Very good. After Jessica took care of it for me then Philipps came in and replaced the furnace.

Description of Work
They took care of my furnace and replaced it.

Work Completed On 10/12/2017

09/29/2018

George S.

Thank you for Eric’s excellent service yesterday in restoring our A/C on a very hot day! The problem was a blower motor failure around noon. Eric was on another call in the vicinity and came to my home afterward instead of returning to the office. His problem diagnosis, requisitioning a replacement motor, having it delivered to my home and installing the new motor by 6:30 PM was amazing! My house stayed fairly cool on a day when the heat index was over ninety. It could have been much worse! Thanks to Eric and the Phillips team for keeping us comfortable!

Description of Work
Restart Failed Air Conditioning

Work Completed On 08/24/2018

09/27/2018

David R.

Short version: we are extremely satisfied. Details: Our house is a contemporary with an old but poorly designed central air system. The A/C units are in two separate and limited attic spaces, with few areas to ducts through. Previous design aimed to send enough cold air down the open stairwell to flood the downstairs with cold air - but this was inadequate. 4 different companies took a look, over 2 seasons. They came up with a variety of solutions that ranged from minor to major revisions to the existing ductwork, a range of sizes and different compressor and air handler functionality (variable speed, multi-stage etc.). I understood that our job was challenging, but wanted plans that seemed to make sense when discussed. John Phillips at Phillips Heating and AC was extremely knowledgeable and thoughtful. He came up with a plan for revising old ductwork, finding ways to get new ducts into several rooms downstairs, and provided several equipment choices - that all made sense compared to the other proposals. Importantly, extremely willing to discuss the different options and the advantages and disadvantages of each. This included an honest appraisal of what features such as variable speed air handling would or would not add without a multistage compressor. He also explained why we did not want to go too large in terms of capacity (one needs the A/C to run long enough to effectively KEEP humidity low - and not just rapidly cool the house and then shut off). In the end, John he helped me read between the lines. He told me that no matter which of the systems he put in - there was a very real chance that certain rooms would remain warm and might require subsequent revisions or even ductless units. Thus, he actually favored the simplest and least expensive of the systems he had proposed!! He also recommended going one step at a time and seeing how this initial plan worked BEFORE recommending other revisions. The results were a HUGE HUGE improvement. The stepwise approach was really useful. The calculations appear to be spot on, aided by using remote thermostat units to balance the difference in temperatures in different rooms (since there are not multiple zones). In the end, one bedroom remains warm and by increasing the duct size to that room (minor revision planned), I have no doubt it will be fine. The installers from Phillips were efficient, polite, neat, and performed the job in a timely fashion. Email communications with John were an effective way to communicate - with the MINOR caveat that responses were sometime delayed ... but that could always be fixed with a phone call. I should mention, the price was extremely competitive compared to the other estimates I had - even when comparing similar equipment. I am extremely glad I went with Phillips and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
central air conditioning

Work Completed On 06/25/2018

09/21/2018

Janet H.

Extremely well. Getting a new AC/furnace is not something you do every day. Being a family owned business, John was very passionate and knowledgeable about his company and really educated us about new systems instead of just selling us a unit. That is what really won us over. The young men who did the work were courteous and professional. They left our basement cleaner than when they got there. The location of our furnace offfered challenges which were expertly overcome. All new piping is compact and neatly installed so as not to be obtrusive. Truly a work of art. Extremely happy with the new unit and installation. Theirs was the highest estimate we received, but they handled our challenges of installing the PVC components of a high efficiency furnace in such a way that instead of being an eye-sore, I admire their work every time I go down to the basement! Money well spent! I can't say enough good things about Phillips Heating and AC!

Description of Work
Needed new Central AC and furnace

Work Completed On 09/21/2018

Review for Phillips Heating & Air Conditioning Company - 1100 E Warrington Ave., Pittsburgh, PA - 37414084

Thank you!

09/14/2018

W MICHAEL O.

'Couldn't tell you. I reached out via email on 9/4 for an estimate and never got a reply.

Description of Work
Window AC installation

Work Completed On 09/14/2018

09/05/2018

Michael L.

Could not be more pleased with the service from Phillips and their technician on site, Bob V. I was able to book the call quickly, and their administrator followed up prior to arrival as committed and the tech arrived as communicated. Bob was particularly helpful in explaining the cause of our poor air conditioning performance and explained his review of all the metrics that needed to be addressed to insure continued good performance. Had the needed part for repair on the truck and installed it without delay. Top notch!

Description of Work
Air conditioner stopped cooling, right in the hottest stretch of the summer!

Work Completed On 09/05/2018

08/17/2018

Nancy C.

Great! Fair estimate, did not try to up sell, did work in a timely and professional manner. Would definitely recommend.

Description of Work
New Air conditioner.

Work Completed On 06/15/2018

08/01/2018

Breanna W.

Our experience with Phillips was excellent. They responded to our inquiry promptly and were very informative about the available options for heating and cooling systems. They made sure their recommendations suited our needs. The installation went smoothly, and the crew was very professional.

Description of Work
Install a new heating and cooling system in a finished attic

Work Completed On 06/06/2018

01/12/2018

Brian K.

The service was spectacular from the first phone call to the completion of maintenance on our hot-water boiler. The technician resolved long-standing problems with our heating system that many prior providers had missed, including a clogged gas nozzle and poorly adjusted fuel pressure, and explained everything clearly so I can be better informed if issues arise in the future. Fantastic service and reasonable price.

Description of Work
Boiler maintenance

Work Completed On 01/11/2018

01/02/2018

Vincent V.

Came out in 20 mins after a brief phone call! Same-day service and they didn't charge me their overtime rate even though it was approaching the end of their normal business hours. Responsive and professional. My tenants were very satisfied with their work and thorough explanation of the job performed.

Description of Work
Heating Repair

Work Completed On 01/02/2018