House & Building Engineering

Founded 1975 • With Angi since January 2007

444 Perry Hwy

Pittsburgh, PA 15229

Owner operated. Uses subs for drafting. Charges an hourly rate of $120. Travel charges apply. Lic #PE023415E....

07/23/2014

Michele W.

Roy Kim was professional, punctual, and polite. His fee was extremely reasonable. He took his time and explained everything in detail and with ease. I would recommend him to anyone concerned with the foundation of their home. He will provide an un bias assessment.

Description of Work
Roy Kim examined the foundation of a home we plan to renovate. He examined the home inside and out. He sketched his suggestion to provide a visual of the cause of the moist basement and thoroughly explained how the issue can be resolved. He included 3 steps we could take to aid in eliminating the moisture in the basement starting with the least expensive.

06/18/2014

Clay B.

Awesome. So glad I listened to the other reviews and went with them!

Description of Work
I called and the very next day Chris (son?) came by to help me determine a non-emergency structural issue. He was incredibly professional and knowledgeable that we would use them again in a heartbeat. He talked me through everything he did and gave me a final assessment (in writing too!).

03/11/2014

John C.

There was a scheduling issue that was completely my fault, so Roy was not able to do the work. He was very courteous in working it out with me after I loused up his schedule.

Description of Work
No service was performed.

02/15/2014

Bonnie S.

Chris Kim, a professional engineer, came out promptly. He examined the wall that we wanted to remove (load-bearing) that had a garage beneath and second floor and attic above. He examined structure in garage and basement as well as the hallway upstairs and the structure of the roof in the attic. He was very informative and gave a lot of information as he was making his inspection and measurements. He answered any and all questions we had and included what he thought the cost would be for the project to give us an idea of price to expect. He also said that we and/or whoever did the work could call him anytime with questions about his report, specs and drawings. The report was emailed and sent by regular mail within 10 days (he emailed to say that he apologized for the slight delay...he had promised it in 7 days). He had told us if we needed the report earlier he could get it to us, but we did not need it right away so the week-10 day time frame was no problem AND he contacted us to let us know about the delay (even though it was only 3 days). He also contacted us again to let us know he was emailing the report that evening and putting it in the mail the next day. Included in the very detailed report was a nice letter, again emphasizing that we/contractor could call with any questions. He also recommended having 3 estimates done and provided the names, addresses and numbers of three contractors he had worked with often. We would use his services again and would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Structural plans for removal of load bearing wall as well as determination that another wall was not load-bearing and would not need any structural support if removed.

10/14/2013

Jacqueline B.

Mr. Kim arrived a few minutes late which didn't surmise me as I live in the boonies. He was very professional, but personable at the same time. Mr. Kim did a thorough investigation of the house to see what damage has already been done so he could determine the cause. He was here approximately two hours and I felt he did an excellent job. Now it's up to me to find a contractor who can follow his instructions in doing the repairs correctly. I would gladly use this provider again if the need arose and I would recommend him to my friends and family.

Description of Work
He examined the foundation inside and out and the I-beams supporting the inner structure of the house. He took measurements using a laser level to determine where the problem started. He inspected floor joists for damage and deterioration. He went over his findings with me before he left, but he also wrote up a detailed report that I can use to get estimates for the repair work.

12/19/2012

Chad E.

My wife and I were both impressed with Roy. First, he was very professional and knowledgeable. He spent a great deal of time understanding our concerns. He cared. Second, he performed a thorough investigation of the suspect areas and promptly provided a detailed report. When I had questions, Roy emailed with a large amount of information. Certainly he provided more service than for what we paid. Finally, Roy listened to our input. I felt as if we were collaborating on solutions (as an engineer myself, this made me really excited!) instead of being lectured. His structural solutions were very clear. When asked about contractor recommendations, he provided a list; the contacted contractors raved about working with Roy and his professionalism. We are excited to utilize Roy again for designing an addition.

Description of Work
Roy Kim came to our house twice to inspect a couple of issues we had with our recently purchased house. In January of 2012, Roy came to investigate cracking on our famly room ceiling and the structural issues causing the cracking, and he came to investigate a basement wall section that was experiencing cracking. He then came back in late May to reinspect an area we cleared so he could get a better view of the underlying structure. In both cases, Roy provided a professional report detailing the structure, the potential concerns, and suggested remedies.

12/12/2012

Gail & Tim C.

We were exteremely pleased with the services provided by Chris Kim. He was thorough and knowledgable, providing detailed sketches and the required information for submission to our local building official. The work was delivered to us in a timely manner. We highly recommend the Kim's to anyone requiring the services of a residential structural engineer in the Pittsburgh area.

Description of Work
Chris Kim provided drawings and structural analysis for a flitch beam and window headers which are part of a new addition to our home.

12/03/2012

Jill B.

This project could have been a nightmare, but Roy and his son were very professional and responsive and worked very well with our contractor. Roy answered our calls and expertly addressed our questions and concerns. Although it cost us much more than we anticipated, his price for each visit and drawing was fair. It certainly wasn't his fault that we needed him to come back several times -- the nature of an old house. Thanks to the Kims, this place is SOLID!

Description of Work
Roy (and later his son) helped us ensure the removal of two walls on the first floor of our house was done safely and securely. Of course, we ran into some "surprises," which required three visits and two sets of drawings from the Kims.

12/01/2012

Manny L.

Roy is a very professional, very competent engineer. I stayed with him for the entirety of his evaluation as we walked around my house taking measurements. Being an engineer myself (although in a completely different field), I was curious to see what methods and techniques Roy would use. He was very methodical in his evaluation... as he made measurements he explained to what he was doing at each step of the way, and occasionally asked me questions. It was an interactive meeting, and at the end I felt like I had a better understanding of what was going on as well as what I should do to correct it. I will say that based on my technical background, Roy and I agreed that he did not need to write up a formal report, since we had basically discussed his evaluation as he was doing it. This ended up saving me some money since Roy didn't have to make his report up.

Description of Work
Mr. Roy Kim came to my home and performed a structural evaluation, which took about an hour. The front porch of my house had foundation issues and was moving. Mr. Kim took measurements of the porch and adjoining structures using laser levels, a bubble level, and a plumb bob. He recorded all measurements in his notes. After he had completed his evaluation, he provided me some recommendations on how to fix the problem, and provided me the names of 3 foundation repair companies that he felt would be able to repair the foundation. I got quotes from all 3 companies, and after speaking with representatives from all three companies I spoke over the phone with Mr. Kim for about 15 minutes and he gave me his unbiased opinion on the 3 quotes. I ultimately accepted a bid from Engineered Foundation Solutions (see my other review). The other two companies were Mathews Wall and Anchor and Baker Waterprooofing.

11/19/2012

Donald K.

Went well from start to finish.

Description of Work
Site visit for observation and evaluation of specific existing structural conditions of the garage slab cracking and preparation of engineering report with various options and drawings on how to repair the slab.

11/13/2012

Mary Alice H.

It was an excellent experience. I would definitely call Mr. Kim again if I needed architectural/engineering drawings for a project.

Description of Work
Roy Kim provided engineering drawings for a covered porch and deck addition to our house. Initially we wanted the flooring on the covered porch to be flagstone, but because the floor is off the kitchen and therefore on the second story of our house, we decided to go with a composite decking product. Mr. Kim had provided us with plans to submit to the township for permits, and the detials for our contractor who was also involved in the creation of the documents.Mr. Kim was very easy to work with, and he responded quickly to changes that we made to the original plans.

10/13/2012

NEVA G.

Roy Kim was very quick to answer our inquiry. He was very pleasant and professional. After assessing our situation, he was very willing to look at our quotes and help with our decision... with the understanding that it was his opinion based upon what he was being presented. Yep. That's why we called him. After discussing warranties, coverage, and pricing, he pointed out a clear winner. He had very sound and reasoned logic, and years of experience which we understood and appreciated. He pointed out things that someone without an engineering degree just doesn't see. It made us feel very good about a decision we had been delaying because we were unsure. What a sense of relief.

Description of Work
When we purchased our home we knew one corner was structurally unstable as a stream had run next to the house for quite some time prior to being redirected away from the home. We were worried about additional settlement, and called in a few piering companies to give us estimates. Most gave very different solutions, and spoke horribly about their competition. We decided to call Roy for help.

07/18/2012

Eric M.

Mr. Kim provided an excellent service and I would recommend him to anyone. He was professional and courteous in our interaction and his review of my foundation issue was very detailed and comprehensive. He spent time reviewing the cracks from the inside and the outside of the house, noted their location and size, and reviewed the potential causes with me. Mr. Kim provided a written report summarizing his observations and provided recommendations base on his findings. His report and recommendations were clear and concise and met my expectations.

Description of Work
Mr. Kim made a site visit to review several foundation cracks in the basement of my home.

05/12/2012

Judith M.

Outstanding! He is extremely knowledgeable. He's very professional, polite, prompt...all of those things. Without his report, we would have had severe difficulty. The contractor that came out wanted to do something else, and that would have been devastating to our end result. We were able to use the report that Mr. Kim gave us as a backup. We could have ended up in court, in fact, had we not had that report. Mr. Kim came to inspect throughout the process, while the work was being done.

Description of Work
We had termites. Roy Kim is the owner. He came, did our inspection, wrote up a report for the procedure that needed to be done to our home so that we could use that report when we had a contractor come to renovate our home. The price was several hundred dollars--and well worth it. He saved us lots of money. Mr. Kim actually recommended, based on the experience we were having with our contractor, that we join Angie's List.

02/13/2012

Travis B.

Chris Kim was punctual, remarkably professional and extremely motivated to explore the property. When he discovered an issue, he explored it from multiple dimensions, looking for evidence across the home site to frame the exact type, extent and (to the best of his ability) source of the problem. He was especially tolerant of our many questions and spoke in terms that were both technically specific, demonstrating his extensive knowledge, and instructional, as we are generally inexperienced with basements and building structure. He was never condescending, and while I believe his company does many of the repairs he recommended, I never felt as though his recommendations were tied to a particular contractor -- they were independent and well motivated by what he observed in and around the house. Chris spent 2 hours at the home site and 2 hours afterwards to write up our report. He probably spent 30-40% of his time answering my questions. In his report, he included pictures (an absolute must for any quality inspection), detailed descriptions of the problem and detailed specifications for taking corrective action. I feel confident that I could hand these specs to a contractor, tomorrow. While he did find important structural issues in the house (basement wall deterioration and shoddy construction concealed within an addition to the house, for example), we felt far more confident in our purchase because we better understood the scope of these existing problems. Our general home inspector, for example, did not identify any of the issues he discovered. I personally found his price to be very reasonable and reflective of his knowledge and skill -- it's better to pay for this type of service up front, then to pay for structural repairs afterwards, even if you walk-away as a buyer. Hands down, I highly recommend Mr. Kim to anyone purchasing a new home that is old, or where there is visible structural concerns that make you nervous. We feel confident we can call on him again in the future should we ever need this expertise again.

Description of Work
Based on Chris Kim's reviews in Angie's List, my wife and I enlisted Mr. Kim to conduct a structural engineering inspection for a 100-year house that we were considering purchasing. We were interested in identifying immediate problems that may prevent us from purchasing the house, and long term issues that we could address over time.

08/21/2011

Michelle W.

My husband and I had a couple of foundation repair companies and contractors come out to examine the problem we uncovered with our addition's foundation (the foundation has settled over time causing cracks in the foundation walls and the footer), and we were provided with different solutions for our problem from each company/contractor. As a result, we were unsure of what would be the proper solution for our problem, and we wanted an unbiased and honest opinion on the state of the addition's foundation as well as the proper course of action to fix the foundation. After reading the structural engineering reviews on Angie's List for House & Building Engineering, we called the company and set up an appointment for Chris to come out to assess our problem. He was prompt, polite, and extremely professional. My husband had emailed Chris a list of our questions/concerns since my husband was not able to be home when Chris was scheduled to be here, and Chris discussed those questions/concerns with me while examining the foundation. Additionally, he provided us with an email response to our questions within a day of examining the foundation. Chris thoroughly inspected the foundation and took several measurements, photos, and notes during his inspection. At the time of the inspection, he provided me with his honest and professional opinion as to the state of the addition's foundation, and within a week, we received a thorough written report from Chris with his assessment of our foundation and solutions for our problem.

Description of Work
Evaluated the current state of our addition's foundation, outlined possible cause(s) of the apparent settling of the foundation, and outlined several solutions to fix the foundation.

08/11/2011

Mark P.

Well. The report was well done and he was very responsive. Will use him again/recommend him.

Description of Work
Roy gave us a report and recommendation on one foundatio wall. I called Roy to explain some other items and Roy met me at our house again free of charge to explain them to me. Very pleasant and professional. I also felt he was not pushing any particular product or contractor.

08/02/2011

LINDA S.

Chris is extremely professional and knows what he is doing. He answered all of our questions and explained what could be done to correct our problems. He also made suggestions on things we should consider when replacing the patio. We were looking for an evaluation of the problem that wasn't slanted towards a particular solution, and we felt that Chris gave us an unbiased opinion. We feel more confident of the steps we need to take having received the evaluation of a professional engineer. Their price was reasonable and we feel it was money well spent. We would definitely call Chris again!

Description of Work
We asked Chris to provide an evaluation of the foundation of our 30 year old home. We had installed wall anchors a number of years ago, but they did not seem to resolve the bowing of the wall and water seepage in the basement during wet weather. We are planning to replace a patio on the problem side of the house, so we wanted an engineer to review the overall problem and suggest solutions. We also suspected a problem with the drainage for the downspouts that might be contributing to the issues. Chris scheduled the evaluation within a week and arrived on time. He closely reviewed both the interior and exterior of the house, looking at all walls, not just the one where we were seeing issues. He talked with us about current construction standards, the relative merits of wall anchors, french drains, wall reinforcements, the whole range of options. He also looked at the downspouts and drain connections as a contributing factor. Chris discussed his recommendations with us during his visit, then wrote up and sent us a formal report with his detailed suggestions. He also suggested we could call him with any follow-up questions.

06/23/2011

Aaron B.

Roy and his son, Chris from HOUSE & BUILDING ENGINEERING (HBE) met with us on site of the home we intended to purchase - a 100 year old home in Observatory Hill. They were very punctual, courteous and professional. They reviewed everything as required and more. The initial report provided by Chris highlighted 7 different areas of the home and detached garage structure that needed attention. After discussions with the mortgage company Chris brought that down to 4 conditions that should be addressed. These conditions were addressed as requested. However, after the work was completed and reviewed, HBE would not sign off that the home was structurally sound. We requested contractors to provide quotes for the work that HBE then said was required to make the structure sound. We were quoted far above the numbers that HBE said would be the cost AND none of the contractors would do the work (all of who are listed on Angie?s List with high grades - as is HBE). The contractors all refused to do the work because the structural issues in question had been in that state since the previous owners moved in 10 years prior, and because if they did the work, they would do far more damage to the house. (I tend to back the contractors on this, whoever heard of a contractor refusing to do work, especially in these tough economic times?) So as a result of this, HBE never signed off that the house was structurally sound, and the work was not completed, so no mortgage. HBE did point out other issues that were resolved to satisfaction by HBE by a contractor. The price for the service was far above what was quoted, because of the extra work HBE did, however for the value of the service, I would only give a 5 of 10 since they never signed off that the house was sound after the work was completed as required in their report. The mortgage was never approved. To be fair PNC Mortgage had a hand in this not going through as well since the mortgage loan broker was completely incompetent and told us that the underwriter would approve the fixes to the property based on the revised report, even though he did not check with the underwriter prior to telling all parties this. However, had we known that HBE would not sign off on the home that it was structurally sound after the revised report was completed, we would have chosen a different route and not continued to use the services of HBE.

Description of Work
Reviewed home for structural issues as required by underwriter for Morthgage.

Category structural engineer

This is to clarify the role and actions of House and Building Engineering (HBE) in the reported matter in which Member was the buyer. We were engaged by the home seller to provide a structural evaluation of several specific features of the house and detached garage, as identified and questioned by the mortgage appraiser. In response, we met Member and the real estate agents, and identified nine areas for which we recommended repairs or reinforcements to reinforce certain structural support items, and to reduce the propensity for continued deterioration of other items. The client subsequently requested that we separate the recommendations into those which were necessary in the near term to restore structural integrity, and those which could be deferred and performed as longer term ongoing maintenance activities. After we separated the recommendations and verified the acceptable implementation of the required near term items, the lender apparently was not comfortable granting the mortgage until all of the recommendations were implemented. In our effort to report the objective conditions of structures and recommend steps to secure their near and long term safety, conflicting viewpoints sometimes develop among parties involved in a transaction, based on their various interests. Fortunately, these situations are rare, but even when they occur, we are required to report the conditions objectively to the best of our professional abilities.

04/16/2011

Margaret T.

Based upon the good reviews from Angies List, we contacted House and Building Engineering to perform an engineering and structural anaysis of a detached 3 car garage. We called and left a message for the work. The call was returned later that day. We made arrangements to meet at the site. Chris and Roy arrived promptly, at the time that had been agreed upon. As the structure has two owners, they wereable to access 2/3 of the building and provide a complete report on the deficiences to the strucsture. We discussed the issues that were present during the time they spent on site. They took measurements of the building and noted all areas of concern. They were extremely professional and efficient in their work. The next day we were sent a detailed report that we could share with all parties involved in a discussion concerning the sale of said property. The payment was what we expected and everything was completed with a great deal of satisfaction. We would recommend them to anyone using Angies List.

Description of Work
We needed a structural analysis of a detached three car garage that is part of a property that is currently in the process of being sold.

03/08/2011

Ronald M.

The service went very well, Roy seems to be very aware of the local codes, he inspected my garage, and supplied me with drawings, in order to understand if it was a feasibly project. I also had Roy look at my deck and put together a proposal of feasibility for an extension. After reviewing Roys report, I am having him generate plans for building the deck, I have decided the garage project is not worth the expense.

Description of Work
I had Roy out to my house to discuss a couple projects, extending a deck, adding a beam to my garage, and enlarging a balcony.

12/14/2010

Brian R.

We had a problem with a sagging roof in the garage. A carpenter thought the roof trusses were the problem, a waterproofing contractor thought it was the slab subsiding. We needed an expert to diagnose the problem. Angie's List lead us to Roy Kim and he came out to look at the basement. Roy arrived on time, and went right to work explaining everything as he went. There were a few confusing clues, and because the roof was closed in with plaster, even though I had cut an access hole for Roy to look into the roof trusses, it still was not obvious. Like a good engineer, Roy kept finding clues and adding the information to his storehouse, and pretty soon it became clear that indeed the roof trusses were the source of the problem, abetted by a very long window opening, where it appears the headers are sagging along with the roof. Roy worked until he could explain all the clues, and was satisfied he understood what was happening. He sent a detailed report which listed his findings

Description of Work
Inspect garage in our house which has a sagging roof. Determine what was wrong and what repairs are needed.

11/29/2010

Shannon B.

Roy Kim was the structural engineer who came out. He also provided us with two names of companies who did this specific type of work. I was very happy with his job. He was very thorough and professional. He showed up when he said he was going to show up. He had an extensive background in the area of doing structural engineering. The reports that he gave us were very detailed and thorough. It enabled us to go to contractors and have them bid exactly to those specifications. He also made sure that the contractors contacted him directly if they had questions because I didn?t know anything about structural engineering. So the contractors did followup with him because there were a couple of things that they needed clarification on. He provided that service as well. I wanted a review and a plan to be developed by somebody like him and that?s what I got. He did it very well. He did it in a very timely manner from the time he left the house to the time we had the report in hand which was less than a week. He was very prompt in returning our calls whenever we called him. I felt that the price was fair for what we were provided with. There was nothing about his work that I didn?t like. If need be, then I would certainly use his services again.

Description of Work
I had a structural engineer from House & Building Engineering to look at the foundation in October. He looked at the subbasement that we had some questions about. He did an assessment of what existed and provided us a report with the drawings and specifications required to remediate the problems that we had.

09/21/2010

Samantha S.

Mr. Kim was very professional and willing to talk in depth with me about what he was seeing. I was able to ask questions throughout his visit. The only reason I scored him as a B, was that he was not able to assess the reason for ALL of my house problems. My report had a solution for many of them, but not all of them. I would have liked to see a more comprehensive report that included all problems in my house. Although, I do have a LOT, so it was a lot to take in and assess at one time, and I think he was trying to keep his visit time lower because he did not want to charge me an arm and a leg. His price was very fair for the services rendered. I would use him again if I needed another professional opinion. He did say to call him if some of the cracks got worse. And if they do get worse I would call him again to give me an assessment on them (wish he could have pin pointed the cause in the first place, but I do understand that my house is old and probably has too many issues that one man can find/point out in a few hours).

Description of Work
I noticed some wall cracking and floor sloping inside of my house and asked Mr. Kim for an assessment of my home's structural stability.

08/22/2010

John W.

He came when promised, spent time with me understanding what had indicated to me that there might be a problem, examined the areas in question, ascertained that there was a problem that needed to be fixed, and told me of the possible solution and what I might expect to pay for it. He left and prepared a written report that I received within a couple of days. In the report he suggested three potential service providers who could do the job as he understood it.

Description of Work
Roy Kim examined an extension to our deck structure, that for the previous owner had supported a deck-level hot tub, to ascertain whether or not it appeared to be separating (falling away from) the adjoining house structure. He identified a "standard" means for dealing with such problems, and recommended three potential vendors who could do the needed work.

Sisko Waterproofing & Foundation

Being a home owner is bitter sweet in Western Pennsylvania. Weakened foundations and soaked basements are a common struggle in our area. When structural and water related problems arise, devastation follows. Here at Sisko Waterproofing, we work to fulfill your dreams of a watertight basement and sturdy foundation. All of our services are installed by an experienced and qualified professional who shares your desire to keep your home safe and dry. We look forward to assisting you in your basement needs! Please give us a call to schedule your free estimate today!

Advanced Basement Solutions

We are locally, family owned and operated with over 22 years of experience. We have won several awards and are nationally certified by the Basement Health Association. We offer internal & external french drains, bowed/cracked wall repair, sinking foundation repair, sump pumps, driveway drains, battery back up pumps, and mold treatments. We do NOT use subcontractors. ALL work performed by certified company employees. We also offer lifetime transferable warranties and 0% financing to qualified homeowners (terms to be determined by lender). We are fully licensed and insured. We perform quality work at reasonable rates. Additional contact name - Tara Hoey. Additional phones - (412) 341-2660, (412) 486-5880, (724) 459-5544.

A+ PLUS CONCRETE & FOUNDATION REPAIR

We are a 13-year Super Service Award winning company using state-of-the-art technology to repair and restore concrete, and stabilize foundation walls that are tipping, bowing, or shearing. We repair and restore flat, concrete surfaces, such as driveways, patios, sidewalks, walkways, steps and porches. We can address cracking, crumbling or spalling concrete, and offer the newest technology in Power Washing and Sealing to achieve the best clean and protection with the #1 rated concrete sealer on the market. We offer Concrete Resurfacing in addition to repairs to give your concrete a fresh, new look. We now offer small concrete pour jobs! We use super non-skid elastomeric sealants for high-traffic surfaces that protect the concrete and keep you, your family and guests from slipping. We take great pride in offering honest, affordable ways and methods to our customers for the repairs they need. For foundation stabilization, we use The Fortress System (three-point carbon/kevlar straps and anchors) to give you the strongest, most durable foundation repair. There is a LIFETIME warranty on this stabilization that is also transferable to the next home owner. We look forward to working with you on your concrete restoration/repair and foundation stabilization projects. Please check us out at http://aplusconcretefoundationrepair.com or call us at (412) 731-2505!

Offers by A+ PLUS CONCRETE & FOUNDATION REPAIR on Angi

House & building structural & related engineering services including design, evaluation & consulting and structural inspection. Forensic Engineering. Assistance in obtaining building permits & variances.

General home inspections. Construction