CUMMINGS CONSTRUCTION

Founded 1982 • With Angi since March 2004

421 Lloyd St

Pittsburgh, PA 15208

We currently employ 10 full time carpenters and helpers and an outstanding team of sub contractors that have been working as a team together to produce award winning projects for years. All of our projects are architect designed and are non-competitively bid....

11/18/2014

John R.

worst customer service

Description of Work
We called to request an estimate on a kitchen and bathroom remodel and he flat out refused to give us an estimate. He was rude and snide saying he did not want to get into a "bidding war" with other contractors. So, contrary to there ad they do not offer free estimates.

Category remodeling, home builders, home remodeling

First time I checked my reviews in quite some time. I am very sorry Mr. [Member Name Removed] was so upset after talking to me. I guess my attempt to explain the negotiated bid process failed. If I sounded rude it was not my intention. I thought, at the time, my company description mentioned that all our projects are non-competitively bid. It did not, I have since changed it. My company typically gets involved with clients when they have preliminary drawings from an architect and are looking for a builder to help them with their project. We then work with the client by putting together preliminary budgets and suggest ways and means to save costs when needed if the budget is too high. The process is called a negotiated bid. I don't bid on projects that are going out to several bidders after all the drawings are complete. I think the competitive bidding process, more often than not, results in angry clients who find they can not afford to build what they paid an architect a huge amount of money to define. The negotiated bidding process provides the information the client needs about costs, before they spend huge amounts on construction drawings. This way an architect and builder can work together to keep a project on budget. I do offer free estimates. I provide a list of references for current projects and architects I have worked with. I meet with my clients and discuss the negotiated bid process. After the interview process is complete and clients decide they want to proceed, I will put in many, many hours bringing my subs on site and and doing my best to help them build what they can afford, at no cost to the client. I will look at many options and alternatives to get the price where it needs to be. I provide a fixed price and work to come under that budget, with an open book billing process, where all billed receipts are available to client upon request.

09/29/2014

Marie H.

Went great! John Cummings available for our questions and concerns. His workers felt like family. They arrived each and every day. Input great and work stellar. Hearing so any nightmares, we were relieved that the project was fairly seamless. Would not hesitate to use this company.

Description of Work
Fairly extensive rehab of a 50+ year old home taking about 6 months. Included 3 bathrooms, enlarging spaces, relocating doorways and closets, a new kitchen, laundry room, plumbing, wiring. Our windows were replaced and much carpenter involved.

Category home builders

07/30/2013

Barbara Z.

They were extremely honest, detailed oriented, and the employees were very responsive to follow up with any issues following the construction.

Description of Work
Did a major renovation on your home. They added an addition that was probably about 4,000 square feet.

Category home builders, home remodeling

11/01/2011

alicyn K.

The architect recommended him to me. The price was worth every penny. What they did was so perfect. They workers were neat and courteous. He has matured gentlemen working for him who are excellent. They have been doing this work for ever. We got topnotch experienced workers. John Cummings does not provide cheap labor. He has experienced, seasoned, and middle-aged craftsmen. He is expensive, but my architect said I won’t have any problem with him or the job he does. His personality is a little gruff, but you will have to over look that because of his quality of work. However, he is professional and intelligent.

Description of Work
I used Cummings Construction two years ago to put an extension in my house. I spoke to John Cummings. They doubled the house.

Category remodeling

02/08/2011

Robert H.

John Cummings, his employees, and subcontractors were all incredibly professional, friendly, and very detail oriented. We had these guys in our home virtually every day for over five months. They arrived on time and worked full days. I particularly appreciated the fact that the whole team was always willing to patiently answer questions, offer explanations, and discuss options with us--and cheerfully accept our input. They also tidied up the job site every day before leaving. When unexpected things came up, John was always helpful in considering all the possible solutions. And I will add that plenty of unexpected things DID come up. Please note, however: these were emphatically not Cummings' fault. It's an old house and was a complex project. For example, we did not initially plan to demolish the entire porch roof. But, when they started work, it became clear that the structure could not be salvaged and demolition was a better way to go. We couldn't have known that at the outset. I suspect that we could have gotten a lower cost elsewhere--hence the "B" on cost--but I truly do not think it is possible to find better quality and service. Relative to cost, I will add that the initial budget planning process was very clear, comprehensive, accurate, and open. As work progressed, John did not nickel and dime us to death with little extras, and I think he worked hard to control costs throughout the project. Even with the unexpected things that happened, the work did not go over budget! The work was completed with the highest standard of craftsmanship and the finest attention to detail. We are thrilled with the results and I would enthusiastically recommend Cummings.

Description of Work
Demolish and rebuild a badly leaking flat porch roof with deck on top, enclose a portion of that porch, gut and remodel kitchen. I prefer to not disclose how much we spent.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

03/01/2004

BRUCE M.

JOHN AND HIS CREW HAD ALWAYS BEEN POLITE AND PROFESSIONAL WHILE IN OUR HOME. THERE WERE NEVER ANY SURPRISES WHEN OUR BILL WAS PRESENTED. ALL OF OUR REQUESTS AND ADD-INS WERE ALWAYS TAKEN CARE OF. GOOD, PROFESSIONAL CARE IN PREPARATION AND COMPLETING JOB!

Description of Work
EXTENSIVE REMODEL OF FIRST FLOOR ADDITION TO INTEGRATE INTO A NEW KITCHEN.

Category remodeling

Furko Construction

Before starting my business in 1996, I spent 12 years in the military (1st class builder in the U.S.NAVY SEABEES), doing construction all over the world. I do not use sub-contractors, and I am fully insured. Various discounts available, Including seniors, and of course veterans!!. Please mention Angie's List when you call 412.310.4643 to schedule.

Cullen Construction

Home remodeling company that has myself and my help working hands on, on your projects. (not some g.c. You only see when you sign checks.) I use sub contractors to do my plumbing and electrical work. I am licenced in pa.as a contractor. My # is 055911. Each job is priced seperately. Bigger projects by contract. I can work on smaller jobs by an hourly rate usually $45.00. I carry $2,000,000 liability insurance. (that i have never used). I have never been sued or brought to court. I have alot of repeat customers which speaks for itself. I think of myself as a honest man who just wants to provide a good quality service to people who need someone they can trust with their biggest investment. Their home! I have lived in ireland england and the u.s.a. And have worked in the construction indusrty in all three countries. I have a degree in drafting helpful in instalations and design changes. I belive that the customer is always right!!! I do all and any work that comes my way. Not too proud to do small jobs. You never know where it will leadto. I fixed a leaking skylight for $150.00 and the next spring built the same customer huge wrap around deck for $20,000.00. Call 412-414-5870.

SWEET SUCCESS CONTRACTORS

Sweet Success Contractors specialize in restoration and repairs to Pittsburgh’s older homes, helping them to retain their charm and character, while catering to the discerning homeowner who is looking for something exceptional. Our purpose is to combine your vision with our considerable imagination and experience, educating clients beyond their horizon. By utilizing state-of-the-art tools and industry best practices combined with generous attention to customer service, we ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction. The majority of our clients are repeat customers. But, don’t take our word for it, peruse a decade of Angie’s List Super Service Awards and hundreds of satisfied customers.

General Remodeling

We build architect designed custom homes, additions and interior renovations ranging in scope from the entire house to just kitchen and bathroom projects.

MAINTENANCE WORK OR FLOOD AND FIRE REPAIR.