Mr. Contractor Inc

Founded 1949 • With Angi since April 2007

Mr. Contractor has been around since 1949. For 65 years we have serviced more than 55,000 clients in the Philadelphia, Lower Bucks County, and parts of New Jersey areas while earning a solid reputation. As a result, we have been consistently named "Top 500 Remodelers in the Country" for more than a decade. Mr. Contractor has been ranked by Philadelphia Business Journal (Book of Lists) for being in the 'Top 50' for “Family-Owned Businesses” '13, '14, '15. We have maintained an A+ rating at the Better Business Bureau for over 30 years. We have also been awarded “Best of Philly '12 & '07", "Angie's List Super Service Award '15 & '09”, “Angie’s List Honor Roll '12", "Best of Thumbtack '15", and "Philly Happening List Winner '15". In 2011 we were featured on the Rachael Ray Show for creating a community garden in Philadelphia (corner of Wharton Street and East Passyunk Avenue at 9th Street). We provide the finest quality care with personal attention by a staff of expert craftsmen. All jobs are welcomed. We do not claim to be the best, but our customers do! Although not the cheapest, Mr. Contractor is competitive with pricing while also finding ways to work within your budget to bring unparalleled services. We have maintained and grown our social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Thumbtack, YouTube, and Instagram. In fact, we have more than 2,000 "Likes" on Facebook and have more than 5,000 views on our 81 videos on YouTube. Our website has received more than 55,000 visitors. Our websites contains over 3,000 pictures and 100 testimonials for our customers to look at, as well as staff bios and updated information. Come see why everyone is buzzing about Philly's #1 Contractor! Visit us online and call for your FREE estimate!

2022 Super Service Award

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

Roofing Project

roofing

Roofing and siding.
View project

home remodeling (137)drywall (128)woodworking (119)door installation (115)window replacement (101)interior painting (100)plumbers (91)electrician (83)
Daniel R.
10/26/2011
It turned out really well, but the process was a little confusing since they’re a pretty big outfit. The job took 5 days, and it seemed like every day a new sub-contractor was out. I had to explain the project each day. However, they did very good work.
Description of Work
They remodeled the entrance to a 3rd floor apartment.
Ralph H.
10/26/2011
The experience has been good. The window replacement was many years ago, but the work was very well done. They were quite reliable. I just replaced the windows in January of this year. I used a different contractor for that due to the price. I received a quote from Mr. Contractor, but I got a better price from another company.
Description of Work
They installed fourteen windows about 20 years ago. They also re-plastered a room in my basement underneath my front porch about 5 years ago. All of the mortar between the stones had dried out. Just recently, they provided me with a quote for window replacement.
remodeling, replacement windows
Christina M.
10/26/2011
They were good. The technicians showed up on time, and were quick and efficient. The clean-up could use some improvement. They left some debris (little things: nails, bits of window casings, window caulk, etc) after the job was complete. I felt like their price was fair. I’m happy with the end result.
Description of Work
They installed windows.
replacement windows
Hire Again?

Thanks for the positive response. I know our cleanup wasn't up to your satisfaction because me and you talked about how particular we both are when it comes to our homes being spotless. As with any remodeling job there will always be some type of cleanup on the customers end. But i am glad to hear you were happy with the windows and the installation.
MICHAEL R.
10/26/2011
It was a good experience. For the most part, they did a pretty decent job. They were a little sloppy at the end, not taking care of the small details. Since then, I’ve gotten a few quotes from them.
Description of Work
They remodeled a bathroom for us.
home remodeling
Amanda F.
10/25/2011
The work was alright. They were recommended to me, and it was expensive. Everything was fine.
Description of Work
I had had a pipe that burst in the wall. They fixed the wall.
drywall
STUART W.
10/25/2011
Overall, the experience didn?t go very well. ?They completed the work, but I think it was really over-priced. When we asked about the price, he wasn't very interactive and professional as to explaining why the cost was so high.
Description of Work
We had some termite damage, and they replaced some plywood in the basement. They also replaced a wooden window sill in the attic.
Category
contractors, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking
$1,600
Maryann T.
08/30/2011
From the day Kenny came to my home to view the proposed project space until the final coat of paint was on the wall he was available day or night to answer any questions we had - and we had a lot! Everyone that came through our house and did any work for this project were complete professionals. We'd like to personally thank every one of the guys who worked on this project. We could not be more pleased with our new luxurious bathroom! We will, without hesitation, hire Kenny and his crew again for our next home improvement project. UPDATE: We had a few minor things that we were concermed about after the job was complete and paid in full. We received a call back promptly and there was never an issue with sending someone to take a look at the item(s) of concern. Repairs were made swiftly and professionally. Most others guys won;t even return your call once they have their money. Thanks again to Ken and his crew!
Description of Work
This was a complete gut and remodel of a large second floor bathroom (10 x 12 ft.).
Category
drywall, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors
$22,800
Hire Again?

We are so glad you were pleased with the bathroom. We are adding the before and after pictures of your custom bathroom to our website and your pictures are currently on our facebook page. Check us out on Facebook and like our page Mr Contractor Inc. Thanks Mr Contractor Inc
Joseph G.
05/13/2011
Ken with Mr. Contractor was great. My wife and I run a home business, and they redid an entire floor of our home to make it more office like and suitable for employees and meeting space. They did a fantastic job, were responsive, and I would absolutely recommend them again. Ken came out to meet with us twice to go over plans before we signed a contract. It was great to run through all of our ideas with him. He came up with lots of his own ideas, too, to improve on our vision. The process was to take no more than two weeks, but even between a ton of snow in January and February, the crew came out to our place, and they got the job done. It was about two days over their firm deadline, but I will acknowledge many issues with weather that they overcame to complete the job. Well done Mr. Contractor team! I plan on using them again in the future, and Ken was a pleasure to work through the entire process. Use Mr. Contractor!
Description of Work
Overall, my grade would be an A-, as a few areas of the home weren't as finished as I'd like them, however, I think this is partly my own fault for not specifying it earlier on in the dialogue. Some of the carpentry work was also not perfect. This was about a B at best. However, they did our floors, windows and added a custom folding table which is all PERFECT! They did a number of other lighting adjustments, expanded our bathroom and redid walls and electrical.
remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking
$30,000
Kathryn G.
03/24/2011
I found them on Angie's List. At the end of the day the work turned out well. I had some rocky bits along the way. It was weather damage. I had water coming in that damaged the drywall. They split the job into 2. There was one group of people that came in to replace the drywall. They were on time, but didn't really seem like they wanted to be there doing the job. It seemed like it was a very rush job. They didn't clean up really well afterward. The work was fine and the company itself was very responsible. It was just one particular team that did not meet my expectations fully. The painters even sensed later and corrected the defects that the first group had left behind. They also did a wonderful job painting. At the end of it, the entire job and everything was great. I would use them again in the future.
Description of Work
I had my bedroom renovated and painted by Mr. Contractor, Inc in April. They also replaced my drywall and repainted it.
Category
drywall, remodeling, roofing, water damage restoration, interior painters
$3,000
Hire Again?

Hi Member, sorry for responding so late. Mr. Contractor does apologize for not cleaning to your expectations. Drywall work is a messy and dusty material to work with. There are different stages and each stage gets more messy, especially the last part which is sanding the new drywall. I did a final inspection with your husband after our crew finished the project and nothing was brought up in regards to the cleanup. We are glad to see you were happy with the work and look forward to working with you again in the future!
Michael L.
03/07/2011
Lonny, one of the principals in the business, came to my house to do an estimate. He was fair to deal with, and although I was concerned the price might have been a little high for the work involved, I agreed. Overall, the quality of the work was good, but there were definitely a few hiccups along the way. They declared the job "done" and left the work site without reattaching a downspout to a gutter 3 stories up, and also forgot to do some of the siding right beside my front entrance. They came back to finish up after I called to complain. Overall the work looks nice, although the materials used for siding weren't the best IMHO. I'd probably use them again but not without getting more competitive bids.
Description of Work
Had Mr. Contractor in to do some primarily siding work for me along with work on some gutters.
siding
$4,000
Hire Again?

The material was bought at roofing and siding supplier and not a home center . The siding and down spout were supposed to be done and they were on the contract but didn't get put on work order for the guys .It was brought to my attention the next day by member and we went and took care of it the following day .
Susan H.
02/25/2011
The work was completed quickly and the contractor met our completion date. Although the shelves are very attractive, two additional shelves are really needed to make the shelving fully functional. Unfortunately, I was away from the house all week during the construction period and was unable to provide the on-site daily supervision that was needed. We also did not explicitly state the number of shelves to be provided, making it hard to claim them later.
Description of Work
A carpenter employed by the Mr. Contractor firm, built a wall of adjustable shelves for our library. The shelving covered two sides of a large window and bridged the top of the window to connect the two sides. The contractor was responsible for obtaining all lumber and supplies. We provided a drawing and specifications that had been prepared for us by a designer. The carpenter built a reasonably good-looking wall of shelving, however, the work varied from the specifications in that the shelves were prepared with a tapered edge rather than the cap shown in the drawing. As a result, the shelves are thin 1/2-inch plywood rather than the specified thicker-looking shelves with caps attached to the edges. Additionally, the contractor had not purchased enough lumber to supply all of the shelves needed so that the shelves have to be spaced farther apart than wanted. The carpenter used our patio table furniture as his workbench and left a large amount of debris and sawdust at the site. When a punch list of problems was presented to the manager, he insisted on full payment and would not agree to remedy any of the problems.
woodworking
$5,500

WE APPRECIATE YOU POSTING A RESPONSE AS TO HOW ATTRACTIVE THE SHELFS LOOK AND HOW THE PROJECT WAS COMPLTETED IN A TIMELY FASHION. FINISHING A PROJECT IN A TIMELY AND PROFESSIONAL MATTER IS SOMETHING MR CONTRACTOR STRIVES ON. THE BOOK CASE PROJECT WAS BUILT TO THE EXACT SPECIFICATIONS THAT WERE ON THE DRAWING YOU PROVIDED FOR US, AND THE NUMBER OF SHELVES IN THE DRAWING PROVIDED WAS THE EXACT NUMBER WE INSTALLED. YOU ALSO MENTIONED IN YOUR RESPONSE YOU DID NOT LET US KNOW ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL SHELVES YOU WANTED, "MAKING IT HARDER TO CLAIM LATER." WE DO APOLOGIZE FOR ANY INCONVIENENCE THIS MAY HAVE CAUSED. WE DID ANOTHER PROJECT FOR YOU IN 2008 AND THE SHELF ISSUE WAS NEVER BROUGHT UP THEN EITHER. IT IS NOW 2011 AND MR. CONTRACTOR WAS JUST MADE AWARE OF THIS. WE STRIVE TO RESOLVE ALL ISSUES WHEN THEY ARISE IN A PROFESSIONAL MATTER. MR. CONTRACTOR IS HAPPY TO SEE WE MADE A GOOD IMPRESSION AND YOU HIRED US AGAIN.
Lindsay M.
01/09/2011
We had Mr. Contractor come over to fix a leaking issue on our 3rd floor and replace the water damaged ceiling in a room below. The first problem arose when rather than rip down the ceiling that had mold in it and replace it with new sheet-rock (as written in the invoice) they screwed the new sheet rock into the existing (moldy) sheet rock. Which left the original problem of mold in our ceiling and brought our ceiling lower by an inch which made our recessed lighting too deep in the roof. They insisted that there was no mold in the roof. I had to insist that they take it down and do the job as agreed upon. After being told that couldn't be done they eventually did it but insisted I now had to have molding (I didn't want it but accepted it). When I saw the sheet rock that they eventually took down there was, contrary to what they said, mold on it. After they "finished" the ceiling I had to ask them to sand it (as sanding was stated on the invoice). A strange conversation ensued that they had sanded... and that they couldn't sand 'cause it was wet... and that it was sanded ready for a painter to sand, "because a painter would have to sand before painting". I was baffled but gave up and later did the sanding myself - they were starting to get frustrated with me. We also payed them to put in a threshold between my hallway and bathroom. They couldn't "buy the piece they needed at Home Depot" so they made do with a piece of wood that has created a high lip that you need to be conscious of or you could easily trip. Not only that but where they've nailed in the strip of wood it has split on every nail and then they've fingered in some epoxy. Very visible and ugly. Once again trying to explain that I didn't want this. I wanted a threshold without split wood and epoxy fingered into the cracks they'd give reasons why it was like this. While we were trying to get the jobs done in a none "half-assed" manner they started getting annoyed and would talk loudly while my wife was home about how our house was built wrong and that we were annoying clients. (I can assure you we're very calm, nice people just wanting the job we payed for done in a passable manner). In the end we didn't get a call back from them on a Monday like they said they would about trying to put in an actual threshold in and the feeling of having them in our home was uncomfortable so we were happier to cut our losses and finish the sanding and do the threshold ourselves. The whole experience has made me to realize that, even with my limited handy-man skill set, that I can do a better job than these "professionals". It was a really horrible experience. Oh, The siding job was subcontracted to a 3rd party and done properly. We're happy with that.
Description of Work
We had siding put up on the unfinished wall of our 3rd floor deck to prevent leaks. A water damaged sheet rock ceiling replaced. A threshold put in and one or two other small miscellaneous jobs done
Category
decks, drywall, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking
$4,200

We removed the area of the sheet rock were the leak was we checked for any mold / mildow .There was no trace of either found so we replace the insulation patched the ceiling were we opened to check for damage . We resheet rocked the entire ceiling and taped spackled ceiling and leave paint ready the customer was told they may have to sand the edges a little before painting . The ceiling was only dropped a half inch by applying sheet rock to ceiling . I suggested applying 3" crown moulding to ceiling for two reasons which were one making the room look nicer with ceiling trim and second not having to paint the walls in the room the customer said that sounds like a great idea . This is something I offer to all my customers The customer had there floor done by another contractor and they left a 1 3/4 step up from hallwy into bathroom we put a bull nose trim to match there bambo floor but they did'nt like it because it was a step up .I told the customer that we can put a peice of clear lumber and ramp to hallway but it will not be bambo .
Kevin B.
12/16/2010
I had a 203K loan, so he said that he wouldn't be able do the project. He advised me that he was a small company. He emailed me the next day after I had contacted him.
Description of Work
I called him for an estimate for a remodeling project.
Evan O.
12/06/2010
I was very pleased with the results.
Description of Work
He did some carpentry work for me.
contractors, remodeling, woodworking
$1,800
ROCHELLE M.
09/20/2010
The contractors were responsive, timely, and fair. I would use them again. No hassles or misinformation noted.
Description of Work
Applied new tile to the laundry room floor, repaired small portion of a wall and adjusted, capped and caulked my rear door.
remodeling, doors
$2,100
Maureen C.
04/21/2010
Their quote was extremely high. They followed up and seemed to be knowledgeable. The only problem was the price. They seemed like good people.
Description of Work
They gave me a quote on a master bath, powder room, and basement project. It involved drywall and painting.
Category
drywall, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters
Raymond S.
11/25/2009
Steve was great. He was accessible by phone, came on time, and he really seemed to know what he was doing. It seems like a family run business that does quality work, and I would consider them for other projects in the future. However, for this project another high quality contractor gave me an estimate about $1000 less.
Description of Work
I wanted an estimate for a shower remodeling project.
Daniel R.
09/11/2009
It went well - there was just one issue in that different people came a couple times and while the first person said that the rest of the stringers and foundation for this part of the house were OK, the second person who came out later disagreed and said they needed to be replaced.
Description of Work
Floor underneath entrance to 3rd floor rental was spongy - had origionally been back porch when house was built in 1900. Floor, subfloor, and section of stringer rotten and removed. Also door removed. All described replaced, screen door installed, and corrective action for us to take described.
remodeling, doors
$2,000
ELIZABETH B.
06/19/2009
The two workers came as requested and spent the entire day at work, carefully repairing the floor. They were polite, friendly, and careful workers.
Description of Work
Removed toilet in second floor bathroom, cut floor open to repair floor joist around the toilet, which had rotted due to earlier water damage. Repaired floor joist around toilet and installed a new sub floor around the toilet. Laid my extra vinyl tiles with great care, reusing parts from old floor when it was possible. Reset toilet with new wax ring.
$1,300
Lynn E.
06/02/2009
Work was done on time and workers cleaned after themselves.
Description of Work
Mr. Contractor mopped up after a previous contractor who installed windows that leaked because they weren't trimmed properly; 3 inches of caulk didn't stop rainwater from rushing in. Mr. Contractor removed two leaking windows, replaced/repaired new siding and trim that weren't watertight and installed new, better windows (with new inside and outside trim) that I could open with the slightest amount of effort. And, most important, I no longer dread the thought of approaching rain.
remodeling, replacement windows
$2,100
Sarah K.
05/07/2009
The work was done on schedule, and the workmen were pleasant and skilled. They tried to prevent accidental damage and cleaned up. The quality of the work was excellent. The estimate was the highest I received from several contractors. I did not receive the 5% discount which is advertised. He told me it was figured in. I did not receive the senior discount either. At the end, the tile setter was unhappy about the tile I chose, and the contractor told me in the middle of the job that it would cost hundreds of dollars more. This annoyed me because I knew that his price was high to begin with. We compromised, and I am very happy with my new kitchen.
Description of Work
Complete kitchen remodeling - cabinets, electric outlets and ceiling light, plumbing, floor covering and baseboards, tile backsplash,
$11,000
aretha S.
02/18/2009
As the estimate was not provided after repeated attempts to contact Barry, I cannot accurately respond to this question.
Description of Work
I contacted Mr. Contractor to give an estimate for a renovation. He did respond promptly and set up an appointment time. However, Barry has not contacted us with an estimate. I left several messages and emails and have not received a response. I will not give the company a rating yet...just to give them an opportunity to respond. Maybe there is a reason for not contacting us with an estimate.
Hire Again?

WE APOLOGIZE, WE HAVE NO RECORD OF YOUR CALL IF YOU WOULD PLEASE CONTACT THE OFFICE AT 215-423-5525. I WILL HAVE A REP CALL YOU WITH IN 24 HOURS.
Jacqueline A.
12/23/2008
From the beginning I could tell I was dealing with a professional. Barry visited our home, gave us the estimate and discussed with us that sometimes there may be additional charges because they just don't know what the job entails until they start the work. This actually happened so there were no surprises. For the additional work, Barry explained everything that needed to be done and gave us a full written explanation of the additional work. The best part is we live in a historic district and Barry worked with the Philadelphia Historic District, which is a complicated process, but one that you have to go through in order to get things done. Sometimes you run into roadblocks, which he did but he handled it perfectly and kept us informed every step of the way. Toward the end of the project I noticed something wasn't quite right on the new drain spot and I spoke to Barry about it. He took care of it right away. I can't tell you how great an experience this was. I was very nervous about having any work done, especially this being a historic home, but I was so happy that I joined Angie's List and did my research. I would highly recommend Mr. Contractor and am having them come back to do my kitchen and powder room renovations.
Description of Work
Replaced a badly rotted porch and roof. They also removed some dirt from the back and cemented the yard.
Category
concrete repair, decks, remodeling, roofing
$15,000
Jonathan L.
12/08/2008
We were in a real hurry to get our bathrooms done before my parents came to visit for Thanksgiving. We received a few estimates but Mr. Contractor was the only one able to get the work done in our time frame. Barry coordinated everything, including the demolition/dry wall/painting/plumbing/electrical/tile. There were a few unexpected delays (a late tile shipment and a pipe that unexpectedly needed to be replaced) but Barry was always on top of things and always quick to respond to our concerns. Everything was clearly delineated in writing at the start of the project and any additional work was also immediately priced and put into writing. All the workers were very professional and did an excellent job. When we eventually renovate our master bath, we will certainly be calling Mr. Contractor.
Description of Work
Completely remodeled powder room and upstairs hall bathroom. Tore both rooms down to the studs, placed new tile, put in new fixtures (including replacing an old bathtub upstairs with a stand-up shower), new lighting-fans, placed sound damping insulation, new windows and painted.
$20,000
MARY M.
11/12/2008
They did a very good job. The price was fair.
Description of Work
We used them for home improvements (painting, wall paper removal, and carpentry).
Category
contractors, wallpaper removal, interior painters

Phone

2634 Frankford Ave

Philadelphia, PA 19125

Website

Other Information

Carpet • Asphalt • Heating & AC (HVAC)

Payment options

PA025178
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania: Home Improvement Contractors
09/01/2023

We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We offer estimates and quotes using video calling
We accept remote payment