Family & Friends Builders

Founded 1998 • With Angi since July 2007

Family & Friends Builders is a family owned and operated business located in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia. We have been in business since 1998 providing all aspects of home remodeling. Our goal is customer satisfaction. We take pride in our work and it shows. The staff at Family & Friends from the office to the carpenters, electricians, plumbers, masons, painters,and tile installers all have a passion for this business. Our company has been fortunate through the years to build honest and lasting relationships in this business. Our prices are very competitive and fair. In this economy we try and give the homeowner the most for their dollar buy extending our vendor discounts to them as well as informing them of building trade auctions they can attend. Our office is available Monday through Friday to answer any and all concerns customers have during the renovation project, in additional to the owner Bill being available for the same. So let Family and Friends make your dream renovation become a reality and you will be glad you did....

custom kitchen

+63 more images

home remodeling (67)drywall (31)electrician (25)interior painting (23)plumbers (23)woodworking (21)flooring (21)decks & porches (18)tile installation (17)insulation (16)door installation (15)window replacement (13)

04/05/2022

Lauren M.

Bill and his team will clear and efficient from the quote process to completion. The job site was kept organized and every person on the job was polite and detail oriented.

Description of Work
Kitchen Renovation and Half Bath install

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 11/01/2021

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 39685972

04/05/2022

Lynn Z.

They crew was awesome. The office communicated clearly about what work was being done and when. When issues came up they were timely communicated with proposed options. The end result was excellent. A space that was formerly only storage and unfinished became a useable multipurpose room. They repaired masonry wall, installed drywall over framing, did finish work around a door to the garage, created doors to cover a utility area, installed a utility sink, upgraded lighting and outlet boxes, fixed/installed a drop ceiling, repaired/installed a shelf under a window, installed a luxe vinyl floor and baseboards and painted everything.

Description of Work
Floor, ceiling, lighting, construction of closet doors, painting in basement

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, masonry, interior painters

Work Completed On 03/15/2022

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 39685980

benjamin H.

Wonderfully. The contractor in pre-bid had great technical questions and clearly understood what had to be done to complete the design. Their price was in the middle of the three bids received and along with their clear competency presented the best value of the proposals. We were very impressed with the quality of work of their field staff and in oversight of their subcontracts (i.e. mason, roofer, electrician, plumber). We maintained good communication with their project manager for scheduling and office admin for billing/paperwork. Challenges presented in structural changes and permit delays were handled well and clearly explained in working through solutions. Their relationship with city inspectors and knowledge of the new permit process helped expedite reviews as needed. Overall the contractor worked well to overcome some of the unforeseen conditions that cropped up and adjusted to our design requirements even when outside their normal operating standards. We'd certainly re-hire this company for future jobs and have already recommended their services to other who reached out. We're very pleased with the final product and experience.

Description of Work
Kitchen - Full interior renovations with structural changes

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, picture framing, insulation, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors

Work Completed On 11/30/2020

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 39557466

Alex F.

Billy and his team were helpful, responsive and very efficient! Overall, a pleasure to work with!

Description of Work
Complete Bathroom and kitchen REno

Category electrician, flooring contractor, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, glass block, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing

Work Completed On 11/30/2021

Ashley H.

I have been working with Family and Friends for years. The first job was a custom deck on a condo I purchased 10 years ago. This required removing a window, redoing a roof and adding a deck. I was a single girl with her first place, and next to the condo, this was the most money I had ever spent. As a child my parents almost sued a contractor over faulty work, and I was VERY nervous. Let's just say that is where the nerves started and ended. The work was great, and the process painless. The next year I hired them to do a custom kitchen in my condo as well as some improvements to the building (hired by the association). A few years later my husband and I bought a house. Over the years Family and friends redid a custom tile shower (installed incorrectly by the builders), laid a stamped concrete patio, stuccoed our exterior, and most recently finished our basement. Billy, Liz, and Shannon are great to work with. The work is always done well and guaranteed. The jobs also come in on budget unless there was something I added, or an unforeseen issue. Honestly, I never get other estimates. The only minor issue is, that they are so great, that it can be hard to get in, and there may be a bit of a wait. That being said I will wait every time. I do not mind waiting for quality work and people I can trust. If you hire family and friend you will not be disappointed.

Description of Work
Full Basement Remodel, Custom: kitchen, Deck and Shower, and exteriorReno

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, stucco, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/30/2021

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 39557318

06/08/2021

Alex F.

We were getting feedback while selling our home that our kitchen and Master Bath were out of date as a reason we were not getting many good offers. Family and Friends worked with us and worked fast to get our vision accomplished quickly. We re-listed our home and got an over-asking price on day 1! They were efficient, helped us where we needed it, and let us lead where we wanted to! Great quality, great communication and were not finished whit the job until we were satisfied. I would use again and recommend to anyone!

Description of Work
Master Bathrom and Kitchen Remdoel

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors

Work Completed On 03/01/2021

06/08/2021

Martha G.

Family & Friends are EXCELLENT. We had them completely gut and remodel the kitchen of our South Philly rowhome, retile our foyer floor, install a new door and molding around it, and install new transom windows. They were there every day (or told us if they would not be for some specific reason), were extremely responsive to our questions, let us know exactly what was going on, and kept a clean work space. Our kitchen is stunning and every detail is exactly what we wanted. They even built us a custom shelf where a normal cabinet wouldn't fit. I couldn't have asked for a better experience with a contractor and I don't think I'd ever use a different contractor. If there is a wait -- they are 100% worth that wait!

Description of Work
Complete remodel of our kitchen

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 12/19/2020

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 39361777

10/07/2020

Mr F.

F&F did a fabulous job with our bathroom as well as 1st and 3rd floor reno. All the workers were extremely polite, respectful, timely, and thorough. I would recommend them to anyone!

Description of Work
Bathroom

Work Completed On 10/07/2020

04/14/2020

Lucy M.

absolutely great. they were honest and professional

Description of Work
caulked shower, plastered and insulated garage ceiling and repaired garage door

Category insulation

Work Completed On 09/19/2013

03/08/2020

Robert S.

I had a time sensitive deck repair project. In speaking with Liz at Family&Friends, she immediately set up an appointment for a project review and estimate. Bill showed up as promised, provided a thorough explanation of the work needed and gave us a fair price. He indicated he could not give us a firm start date, but that the work would be completed prior to our deadline. True to his word, they scheduled the work and completed it timely. The workmanship was excellent, the team professional and the price as promised. I highly recommend Family&Friends

Description of Work
Deck Repair Project

Category decks, home remodeling

Work Completed On 03/03/2020

09/11/2019

Ian A.

This is the second time I have hired Family and Friends to do a major remodel . They did a complete kitchen Reno two years ago and it went wonderfully. So I hired them again for my master bathroom . I could not be happier with the end result . Bill is a hands on owner and treats all of his projects as if they are his own . They are all about quality and communication, they are not the cheapest option but god work should not be I would hire them a hundred times over and have referred them many times for any remodeling needs !

Description of Work
Full Master Bath Remodel

Category ceramic tile, electrician, insulation, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 09/11/2019

09/03/2019

Neil M.

I was nervous about this because I'd never commissioned so extensive a job, but Family & Friends made it a breeze. They were 100% clear about what would be required and how long it would take, and answered any and all questions. I was satisfied with the process and delighted with the results.

Description of Work
Third-floor addition

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, insulation, remodeling, roofing, siding, woodworking, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 03/15/2019

09/03/2019

TROY C.

Everything is beautiful, the new ceiling, windows are great. They added a small bathroom and gutted our existing bathroom and we love both of them. Bill, Liz and Shannon were available throughout the process and answered all our needs. We have used F&F several times in the past 18-20 years and we have never been disappointed.

Description of Work
We had close to an entire rehab, which took about 12 weeks.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, plumbing, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 04/25/2019

Review for Family & Friends Builders - 2544 E Cambria St, Philadelphia, PA - 38084237

09/14/2018

Celeste S.

I sent them a message to which they did not respond. Other professionals emailed me to say they didn't do that type of work.

Description of Work
Access to attic space.

Category drywall, home remodeling

Work Completed On 09/14/2018

Ms. [Member Name Removed] I am the office manager at FFB. Today was my first day back to work since my minor surgery. We receive many inquiries for quotes and always try to respond promptly. In this instance it was not possible until today. At this time we are not looking at any new projects because we are booked . We do very good work and our schedule remains full . Good luck with your project and our apologies that we could not accommodate you at this time.

08/07/2018

Sarah M.

I called in mid-July to get an estimate. I was told they were booked through the end of August and to call back in a few weeks. I called again the first week in August. Now they’re booked through mid-September. They refused to even schedule an estimate and told me again to call back in a few weeks. When I asked for a recommendation for someone else to the work I was told they could not recommend any other company in Philadelphia, that they were the only ones who could do the work. This company has good reviews but based on my experience I would not hire them. They don’t seem interested in working on smaller projects and they claim there are no other companies in Philadelphia good enough to recommend except them.

Description of Work
Drywall in the basement

Category drywall

In response to Ms [Member Name Removed]'s comments I was not surprised to see her negative review since she told me she was going to do it. The comments made concerning that we are the only contractor that can do good work is ludicrous. I was honest with Ms. [Member Name Removed] when I told her we were not looking at any new work and that our schedule is full. I explained that we not only have prior commitments coming up but that I also have contractual agreements with investors that are addressed all the time. We are a small outfit and keep it that way so that we can manage our projects efficiently and professionally. I have over 90 reviews of very satisfied customers. Ms. [Member Name Removed] was unhappy with the fact that we were too busy to look at any new work both of the times she called. I was polite and professional as I am with all my prospective clients. It is really disheartening that because I was honest about our schedule gave way to trashing my company.

07/24/2018

David P.

My wife and I just completed a third floor addition to our old two story home. As soon as we met Billy from Family and Friends (recommended by our architects) we knew we would be working with an honest and personable contractor. Both the crew and office people respond quickly to all questions. The quality of work is excellent!.

Description of Work
Third floor addition to existing home

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, replacement windows, skylights, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/24/2018

12/21/2017

Chris S.

I knew as soon as Bill came to look at the house for an estimate that this was the right choice. He understood exactly what I was looking for and had a lot of ideas to help me visualize the final product. The crew was always professional and efficient. Their work was great. Everything was ready for me to move in right around when it was supposed to be done. Anytime I called the office, they were pleasant and helpful and I got a call back from Bill as soon as possible. I would recommend FnFB to anyone.

Description of Work
Complete Home Remodel

Category drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 11/01/2017

11/22/2017

Maggie M.

Following an unprofessional and somewhat demeaning scheduling call, contractor failed to show up for scheduled appointment (one I left work to attend in the middle of the day). When I called to ask if the contractor still intended to attend the scheduled appointment, administrative staff was profoundly rude and suggested that the failure of the contractor to attend a scheduled appointment was somehow my fault. Administrative staff then made it difficult to schedule a make up appointment. Then, the day before the make up appointment, administrative staff called to say that the contractor simply would not make the make up appointment either and that they would not schedule an appointment for another time. I was told to call back in a week or so to reschedule again. I am looking elsewhere for a contractor who is both professional and can keep a basic appointment.

Description of Work
An assortment of renovations to a newly purchased home.

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 11/22/2017

in response to this comment because we are booked and can not accommodate everyone that calls we receive these types of comments . We did reschedule this appointment and always called in advance when we had to cancel. Our apologies if we could not accommodate this prospective customer. We handle all call, responses and appointments in a professional manner. Our policies are reflected in the almost 100 A rated reports. once again , our apologies.

11/13/2017

Kelly V.

Great. Liz at the office responded quickly every time. Bill was professional and always showed up on time and worked to get the job done quickly while never sacrificing quality. I'm so thankful they were able to help me out! And I would recommend them to anybody.

Description of Work
I had an old Styrofoam tile ceiling it was starting to fall down. They remove the old tiles and installed new sheet rock and paint. I was under a tight time constraint because a new tenant was moving in and they were the only ones who could do it in time. Fortunately they also did an excellent job! I also had a few other small jobs like a loose door handle and a broken faucet knob that Bill was able to take care of too.

Category drywall, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/15/2017

10/21/2017

Joseph M.

Family & Friends Builders are "straight shooters." They tell you exactly what they are going to do and then do it, no more, no less, no bull, no price gouging. We had some unexpected decisions to make after we started work and they were reasonable and fair about how to proceed. They responded to all major questions and continued to pick up the phone to take my calls even when I called repeatedly. This surprised me because I can be a difficult customer: after bad experiences with other contractors, I stay on top of people to make sure they are doing what they promised. They have kept their team's size small to ensure that they can manage every project that they take on. Thank you, Billy, Liz, Shannon, and team for doing a great job.

Description of Work
Remodeling of a bathroom

Work Completed On 10/21/2017

10/04/2017

Hazel D.

It came out beautiful. You get what you pay for. I am about to use them again. I think everything stood out with us as far as what we commented on as for responsiveness, the quality, whenever you have questions they answer, and they're reliable.

Description of Work
They remodeled the bathroom.

Work Completed On 04/14/2016

09/26/2017

Robert W.

Hiring Family & Friends for my bathroom remodel proved to be a terrific experience. The whole team is very professional and they do great work. I was always kept informed about the work progress and scheduling. Any question I had were promptly answered with a phone call or email. My dated bathroom revealed a few surprises during demolition (which we somewhat expected), but Bill and his team handled it, with only a small adjustment to the cost of the project. Overall, they did a magnificent job.

Description of Work
Complete gut and renovation of rowhome bathroom (~65 sq ft), including removal of plaster and drywall, insulation, and tub. New insulation, drywall, electric, plumbing, tiled shower stall with glass door, tile floor, new linen closet, exhaust fan.

Category drywall, electrician, insulation, plumbing, home remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 09/25/2017